Character Builugder Bug?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a level 8 genasi swordmage. I bought chainmail proficiency for him but when I add an armor the bonus is not totally added to the AC. 

For example, if I have AC 18 and add a Briantwine Chainmail +2 to it the calculated final AC is 23 instead of the 18 + 6  + 2 = 26. 

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
Neither.  When not wearing armor your swordmage is getting his INT added to AC.  In chainmail (or any other heavy armor), he's not.
Sorry, I am new to D&D. Why is it my int added? What rule is this?
Ok I found this! Thanks!

Even so, my int modifier is 4. If I take it out of that count we'll have:  18 + 6 + 2 - 4 = 22. Less then the 23 now =< 
If your INT modifier is +4, and you're 8th level, and you're wearing +2 chainmail then it should break down like this:

10 (base) + 4 (1/2 level bonus) + 7 (armor bonus for level 8 chainmail) + 2 (enhancement) = 23

So what the CB showed you in your first post is correct.  You don't get your INT modifier as a bonus to AC because chainmail is heavy armor, and the armor bonus of any +2 chainmail is going to be 7, not 6 (see the updated AC tables in the Heroes Of books, they increase the armor bonus as the level of the armor increases to incorporate what used to only be included with masterwork armor).

A lot of people don't know about the updated armor bonus values, because they don't buy the books, then they think the CB is bugged.  This question comes up about once a week, and WoTC won't publish that armor bonus table from the Heroes Of ... books anywhere in DDi for some reason.  But CB does calculate it correctly.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Sorry, I am new to D&D. Why is it my int added? What rule is this?

Sorry, I didn't answer this specifically.  The rule is that if you are wearing light or no armor, you get to add your DEX or INT modifier to your AC, whichever is greater.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Sign In to post comments