ANT: Sorry, Seth

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Seth Zulinski's 3rd place list just went out of date.

Do you want to play something fast? Something consistent? Something with 8 maindeck protection spells? Here. Play it.

4 Ad Nauseam

1 Ponder
1 Brainstorm
1 Ancestral Recall

4 Duress
4 Pact of Negation

4 Burning Wish
1 Grim Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Imperial Seal
1 Demonic Consultation
1 Mystical Tutor

4 Dark Ritual
4 Cabal Ritual
4 Mox Opal
4 Chrome Mox
1 Mox Diamond
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Lotus Petal
1 Black Lotus
1 Lion's Eye Diamond
1 Mana Crypt
3 Underground Sea
1 Volcanic Island
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Polluted Delta
1 Flooded Strand

Partial Sideboard:
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Timetwister
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Grim Tutor
2 Tendrils of Agony
1 Empty the Warrens
2 Shattering Spree
2 Pyroclasm

A combination of things has led
here from Seth's list. First, the printing of Opal. Seth's list may not have used it, since he avoided the off-color Moxen and so may have not had a critical mass of artifacts. However, it was made too good to pass up with the second recent happening, the new Legend rule. Mox Opal is now almost superior to the regular Moxen, and you can run 4. Done.

Finally, and a little less recently, the unrestricting of Burning Wish. Now, you can run Tendrils (and some other awesome things) in the sideboard; congratulations, you just lowered your life loss, added 4 Demonic Tutors, and can run some restricted goodies as pseudo-4-ofs.

The good:

-A Wishboard; with answers and restricted fun
-Average lifeloss of .82 life per card, lower than previous lists by about .5
-All 4 AN and 6 tutors (10 if you count Wish)
-Mana. Lots of mana.
-8 Disruption spells, more if you want to trim a little mana as a personal preference

The bad:

-Off color Moxen. They make free mana, they enable Opal....and they kinda suck. Seth avoided them for a reason.
-8 lands is probably exceptionally greedy.
-Possibly too much mana. I'll have to test to see if the ratios are good.

This just might be a whole new broken. At the very least, it'll be great fun.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Sorry, there's a typo in the list. I'm not sure what the spare Mox Emerald was supposed to be, but for now I'm just swapping it for a 9th land.
I don't know a lot about vintage really, but this list is sweet.
Opal definitely gets better with the new rule, possibly letting it go off even faster... nice.
I don't know a lot about vintage really, but this list is sweet. Opal definitely gets better with the new rule, possibly letting it go off even faster... nice.

It will be restricted very soon.

<----- Loser.

Sorry, there's a typo in the list. I'm not sure what the spare Mox Emerald was supposed to be, but for now I'm just swapping it for a 9th land.

Sol Ring?

<----- Loser.

You're probably right on both counts...
I can see Opal getting restricted, like Chaos said, could be a whole new form of broken...
And yeah, this list needs the Ring in that spot...
I wonder if Extirpate or Surgical Extraction would be good control tech for this... maybe?
If I put mana there, it will probably be Mana Vault. The 3 colorless is perfect for getting Ad Nauseam mana.

I don't think Opal will get restricted unless someone does something silly with it at Gencon or Blue Bell. It does amke a lot of decks crazy, though.

As for this deck...Tolarian Academy? 
If I put mana there, it will probably be Mana Vault. The 3 colorless is perfect for getting Ad Nauseam mana.

I don't think Opal will get restricted unless someone does something silly with it at Gencon or Blue Bell. It does amke a lot of decks crazy, though.

As for this deck...Tolarian Academy? 

your right vault would be better, I was thinking Academy earlier, it'll net you the 3 colorless for Ad Nauseam.

I think its going to get restricted, with the new legendary ruling its lotus petal the sequel.

petals restricted for a reason, and Opel will fit into that same catagory.

cheers

<----- Loser.

See... this is why I come and bug you guys in the Vintage forum.
Cuz I learn things...
I didn't even think of the Vault...
Now I know. And knowing is half the battle...

<----- Loser.

Lol, I just noticed, after Pontiac pointed it out, that there isn't a sol ring in this list.  Surely it can't be too high a life cost with AN.
THANK YOU PONTIAC!!
Made my day man... nostalgia is good.
I was hopin I wasn't the only old guy here...
THANK YOU PONTIAC!! Made my day man... nostalgia is good. I was hopin I wasn't the only old guy here...

Oh course I was around for that, you've seen my profile pic right? Tongue Out

<----- Loser.

Yes... good call. Guess I spaced out on Megatron with 'Yo Joe' on the brain... of course I should also realize that the Vintage fan base is probably more my age anyway... more so than Standard for sure. I was usually 'the old guy' at FNMs, even tho I'm 'only' 33...
I think malpheas makes a good point tho, the Ring would be less life loss from Nauseum, tho the Vault could hit it faster... pros and cons for each I suppose.
I think it would be better to replace an off colour mox with a sol ring.

Also, I'm just as old as you two fogeys, except I was probably watching reruns of Maxwell Smart, Muppets and Fraggle Rock instead of Transformers, GiJoe, Alf and whatever else in the '80s.
Yes... good call. Guess I spaced out on Megatron with 'Yo Joe' on the brain... of course I should also realize that the Vintage fan base is probably more my age anyway... more so than Standard for sure. I was usually 'the old guy' at FNMs, even tho I'm 'only' 33... I think malpheas makes a good point tho, the Ring would be less life loss from Nauseum, tho the Vault could hit it faster... pros and cons for each I suppose.

same age as me, thats funny alot of the guys I play with are in my age bracket, then again I don't play FNM. 

Also, I'm just as old as you two fogeys, except I was probably watching reruns of Maxwell Smart, Muppets and Fraggle Rock instead of Transformers, GiJoe, Alf and whatever else in the '80s.

I was thinking the same thing, Sol Ring is going to help get there in the mana department for A.N.

we should get Agent 99 on this.  

<----- Loser.

Fraggle Rock inspired my latest Standard deck.  It's a controllish deck with all four Thragtusks and lots of destruction

I named it Thraggle Rock.
I approve of the sudden revival of the Vintage Forums being brought about by Fraggle Rock.
I know, whooduv thunkit?
I think that might be the first time Thrag has been mentioned in here tho... or a Standard deck for that matter... ???
Speaking of Standard cards, would Blood Scrivener be playable in Vintage at all? Seems like no one's hand would ever be empty enough to use it really, idk. Any Rav.2 cards playable?
Abrupt decay may be ok in Vintage, but the casting cost really goes from 0,1,4,6,7,8 and 9 so it's a tough call.  Balustrade spy has already broken in to vintage as well as the... uh, Undercity Informer.

I could see Blind Obedience making a strong showing, that could be usuable against MUD, but not sure who would use it?
Abrupt Decay is pretty decent.

Thalia
Bob
KotR/Goyf/
Moxen (in a pinch)
Stony Silence
Snapcaster
Time Vault/Voltaic Key
Oath of Druids
Spheres/Chalice/Tangle Wire
Sensei's Divining Top (but not really)
Grafdigger's Cage (also not really)

The Balustrade/Spy deck is pretty meh. Belcher tends to do the job better (and get the T8s). Blind Obedience is...an interesting sideboard card. Most times, though, it's going to be a bad Stony Silence. 
are you sure 4 ad nauseam is the right number? you don't benefit from more than 1, and it makes them a lot more painful. after goldfishing for a bit I would be tempted to drop down to 2 AN and maybe add some more lands or some Preordains
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Vintage lists generally run 3-4 AN because their lower overall curve (Moxen, etc.) allows for it with relative safety. I may go down to 3 for a maindeck Tendrils. 

I'm also cutting one Cabal Ritual for a land.  
Sign In to post comments