Commander [EDH] Staples and Frequently Used Cards

399 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello all.

Welcome to the Commander [EDH] Staples and Frequently Used Cards thread. This thread is a list of cards sorted by color of the most used cards in the Commander [EDH] format. The use of this tread is to help new players explore and identify cards they may wish to use in deck building and to know what cards to expect in an average game of Commander [EDH].

The thread will also serve as a place for veteran players to discuss cards they may see fit to include on these lists and/or cards that might change status as the format evolves.

I have copied the previous Staples list (which has become inactive) to serve as a starting point to work from. This list is in no doubt in need of an update, which will be one of the first orders of business.

I will submit a request to have the old list thread un-stickied and this one put in its place to lessen confusion.

The following is a list of Commander [EDH] Staples by color identity.

Colorless staples

Sensei's Divining Top
Sol Ring
Crucible of Worlds
Mimic Vat
Oblivion Stone
Solemn Simulacrum
Mind's Eye
Duplicant
All is Dust
Reliquary Tower
Strip Mine
Temple of the False God

White staples

Land Tax
Path to Exile
Swords to Plowshares
Return to Dust
Hallowed Burial
Austere Command
Kor Haven
Wrath of God
Enlightened Tutor  
Terminus

Stoneforge Mystic

Sun Titan

Blue staples

Mystical Tutor
Mana Drain
Fact or Fiction
Rite of Replication
Future Sight
Consecrated Sphinx
Academy Ruins
Cyclonic Rift 
Blatant Thievery 

Bribery

Cryptic Command

Trinket Mage

Treachery

Tezzeret the Seeker

Black staples

Vampiric Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Withered Wretch
Necropotence
Decree of Pain
Bojuka Bog
Cabal Coffers
Volrath's Stronghold
Damnation

Red staples:

Chaos Warp
Anger
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Insurrection

Wild Ricochet

Wheel of Fortune

Green staples:

Survival of the Fittest
Sylvan Library
Eternal Witness
Genesis
Seedborn Muse
Mana Reflection
Natural Order

Multicolor staples

Bant Charm
Vindicate
Memory Plunder
Mirari's Wake
Debtors' Knell
Angel of Despair

Prophet of Kruphix

The following is a list of frequently used cards in EDH (Commander)

Colorless:

Mana Crypt
Tormod's Crypt
Scroll Rack
Skullclamp
Extraplanar Lens
Thran Dynamo
Gilded Lotus
Gauntlet of Power
Caged Sun
Steel Hellkite
Wurmcoil Engine
Akroma's Memorial
Artisan of Kozilek
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
Deserted Temple
Dust Bowl
High Market
Maze of Ith
Miren, the Moaning Well
Mystifying Maze
Thawing Glaciers
Vesuva
Wasteland
Rings of Brighthearth 
Ancient Tomb 

White:

Condemn
Day of Judgement
Luminarch Ascension
Aven Mindcensor
Stonecloaker
Linvala, Keeper of Silence
Marshal's Anthem
Archon of Justice
Karmic Guide
Reveillark
Rout
Stonehewer Giant
Akroma's Vengeance
Martyr's Bond
Twilight Shepherd
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
Reya Dawnbringer
Emeria, the Sky Ruin  
Angel of Serenity

Blue:

Lighthouse Chronologist
Willbender
Blue Sun's Zenith
Capsize
Hinder
Rhystic Study
Spell Crumple
Phyrexian Metamorph
Acquire Bribery
Desertion
Mnemonic Wall
Vesuvan Shapeshifter
Gather Specimens
Spelljack
Diluvian Primordial
Chancellor of the Spires
Commandeer
Sphinx of Uthuun  
Vesuvan Doppelganger
Clone  

Black:

Imperial Seal
Nihil Spellbomb
Animate Dead
Exsanguinate
Nezumi Graverobber
Necromancy
Phyrexian Arena
Praetor's Grasp
Syphon Mind 
Beacon of Unrest
Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
Puppeteer Clique
Geth, Lord of the Vault
Massacre Wurm
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
Nirkana Revenant
Sheoldred, Whispering One
Phyrexian Tower  
Black Sun's Zenith 

Red:

Imperial Recruiter
Starstorm
Reiterate
Chain Reaction
Into the Core
Urabrask the Hidden
Inferno Titan
Warstorm Surge
Vicious Shadows
Bogardan Hellkite
Lavaball Trap
Blasphemous Act
Kher Keep
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle

Green:

Green Sun's Zenith
Scavenging Ooze
Beast Within
Cultivate
Genesis Wave
Kodama's Reach
Krosan Grip
Acidic Slime
Primal Command
Restock
Deadwood Treefolk
Tooth and Nail
Terastodon
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
Woodfall Primus
Gaea's Cradle  
Boundless Realms 
Praetor's Counsel

Multicolor:

Eladamri's Call
Lim-Dul's Vault
Saffi Eriksdotter
Aura Shards
Maelstrom Pulse
Pernicious Deed
Voidslime
Mystical Teachings
All Suns' Dawn
Fracturing Gust
Havengul Lich
Izzet Chronarch
Spitting Image
Conflux
Sphinx of the Steel Wind
Kessig Wolf Run
Krosan Verge
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree

<----- Loser.

Wrath of God not on the list at all? Also, why is Decree of Pain a staple, but Damnation is just in the "good/frequently used" list? Shouldn't that be the opposite way around?
Wrath of God not on the list at all? Also, why is Decree of Pain a staple, but Damnation is just in the "good/frequently used" list? Shouldn't that be the opposite way around?

I know where your coming from, I had to use the old list to start somewhere. There are alot of things that need changing.

Wrath and Damnation will be added shortly.  Day of Judgement is also a notable absence from the list.

if other members feel the same way about decree (and I agree with you) we'll move it to the frequent list.

cheers

<----- Loser.

Sylvan Primordial & Predator Ooze  

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Sylvan Primordial & Predator Ooze  

I totally agree with sylvan but I've never seen anyone use the ooze so I'll let the community vote for that one.

adding sylvan.

cheers  

<----- Loser.

Cyclonic Rift, Boundless Realms, and Praetor's Counsel should be on the list somewhere. I put them in any EDH deck I can. 

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

If there's ever a section called "Cards you're a dick for playing," put Sylvan Primordial there.  Also, Crucible of Worlds shouldn't be a staple.  I can't remember a single game where I had enough lands in my graveyard for it to matter.  Unless, of course, I'm playing a deck in which I mill myself (like The Mimeoplasm), then it would belong in a different section.  It's a good card, but it's nowhere near universally awesome, and it doesn't belong in every deck.

Decree of Pain, however, is as close to a black staple as we're gonna get.  A board wipe plus massive card advantage?  No question.  Not to mention it's in a color that can then proceed to pillage all the graveyards!

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Cyclonic Rift, Boundless Realms, and Praetor's Counsel should be on the list somewhere. I put them in any EDH deck I can. 

I agree with Rift I think it deserves staple status. the other two might be in the Frequently used list, I'll leave that open to futher discussion.

If there's ever a section called "Cards you're a dick for playing," put Sylvan Primordial there.  Also, Crucible of Worlds shouldn't be a staple.  I can't remember a single game where I had enough lands in my graveyard for it to matter.  Unless, of course, I'm playing a deck in which I mill myself (like The Mimeoplasm), then it would belong in a different section.  It's a good card, but it's nowhere near universally awesome, and it doesn't belong in every deck.

Decree of Pain, however, is as close to a black staple as we're gonna get.  A board wipe plus massive card advantage?  No question.  Not to mention it's in a color that can then proceed to pillage all the graveyards!

I was thinking the same thing about Crucible, I've only ever seen it played once. Lets see what anyone else has to say about it, but at this point its looking like its in need of a down grade from staple status. Another card for black removal that is missing all together is Plague Wind.

I seen the list of cards frowned upon in the other staples section, but that seems off topic to me, if there's a need for such a list I believe it belongs in its own thread.

<----- Loser.

I consider praetor's counsel and decree of pain staples. I try not to build without them, but I could agree with them as good cards.

Crucible is staple, but takes a major investment of fetches to really be worth it. The price tag might be why we don't see it. Same for the ooze.

Doooshy cards if staple or good card can be marked with an asterisk ... like deadeye navigator, which is probably a good card for blue.

3DH4LIF3

I consider praetor's counsel and decree of pain staples. I try not to build without them, but I could agree with them as good cards. Crucible is staple, but takes a major investment of fetches to really be worth it. The price tag might be why we don't see it. Same for the ooze. Doooshy cards if staple or good card can be marked with an asterisk ... like deadeye navigator, which is probably a good card for blue.

I've played with people that have all fetches and such, they still never dropped crucible (maybe they never drew it I never asked though)

If thats what people would like to see I can mark "douchy" cards.  

<----- Loser.

Your friends are silly for not running crucible if they have full fetches and duals.

It is probably meta dependant too... I can see it underperforming if games aren't long enough for the advantage to accumulate.

3DH4LIF3

Your friends are silly for not running crucible if they have full fetches and duals. It is probably meta dependant too... I can see it underperforming if games aren't long enough for the advantage to accumulate.

The meta might be the issue, these guys I speak of know what they are doing, again its most likely they are running it but it never popped out of the 100 card deck.

<----- Loser.

weird that you see Sylvan primordial as "Cards you're a dick for playing" but not cruicible of worlds

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

personally i tried so hard fitting boundless realms in my deck and the end result NEVER pays off.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
weird that you see Sylvan primordial as "Cards you're a dick for playing" but not cruicible of worlds

Crucible isn't a dick move by itself.  It enables dick moves.  By itself, it allows some cool, powerful stuff, like reusing fetches, or playing the lands you dredged into the graveyard.  If you're using it to reuse your Strip Mine or Wasteland, then it's not Crucible's fault, it's just that you're a dick.
What about Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth? It can easily be a go to card for any black deck that choses to go mulitcolored and can afford one.

On a side note, would everyone be so kind as to refrain from profanity? I find it most offensive.

Xweetoks = ♥Happiness

I play crucible in every deck that isn't mono-colored. I play 7 fetches in 2 color decks+wasteland+strip mine and 9 fetches+wasteland+strip mine in 3 color decks. And 10 fetches and the other two in 5 color. In multicolor decks with green in them I also play life from the loam.

so lets look at the current cards in question and see what the census is about which  list they should be on the Staples list or the Frequently used cards list.

Boundless Realms Frequently used?
Praetor's Counsel ? (I've never used it, since I don't own one but can see its appeal)
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth I think this does merit staple status
Crucilbe of Worlds I think its looking like it deserves to keep its status.

thoughts?

<----- Loser.

I'm not sold on boundless realms... I think its too slow to be competitive good, but its likely a card a lot of players are playing.... so yeah, I agree with this.

3DH4LIF3

Agree with niheloim.
adding realms to Frequently used list.

How about the others mentioned? 

<----- Loser.

Obviously Crucible should be on the "frequently" list, as it's not for every meta, and it's usage is a bit niche compared to something like the Top.

IMO, Counsel should also be on the "Frequent" list, as the mana cost is high, the GGG cost is a bit restrictive, and some decks just have no need for limitless hand size and a recouped yard.

Lastly, Urborg should be staple; even a mono-black deck can afford to run more non-black producing lands if there's a chance they can use it to abuse Coffers, and it's truly worth running in any multi-colored deck with Black in it.
Resident Logic Cannon

Crucible isn't a dick move by itself.  It enables dick moves.  By itself, it allows some cool, powerful stuff, like reusing fetches, or playing the lands you dredged into the graveyard.  If you're using it to reuse your Strip Mine or Wasteland, then it's not Crucible's fault, it's just that you're a dick.

Well so this argument seems to have gone all the way circular back to why prime time is banned. 

I would argue that reusing fetches aren't really that cool and dick move with crucible is still the most common use of it i've seen.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Obviously Crucible should be on the "frequently" list, as it's not for every meta, and it's usage is a bit niche compared to something like the Top.

IMO, Counsel should also be on the "Frequent" list, as the mana cost is high, the GGG cost is a bit restrictive, and some decks just have no need for limitless hand size and a recouped yard.

Lastly, Urborg should be staple; even a mono-black deck can afford to run more non-black producing lands if there's a chance they can use it to abuse Coffers, and it's truly worth running in any multi-colored deck with Black in it.

this

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I have to honestly confess I'm surprised about no Black Suns Zenith.  I wouldn't push for it to be a staple, but at least frequently used, seeing as it's a budget board wipe(compared to Damnation or Wrath of God).

Seems like a good start on everything else.  I fully support your efforts, Pontiac.
I don't think crucible should be a staple. The only fun thing it really does is enable Landfall, and then it's staple worthy. But just using it to replay fetches and strip mine/wasteland doesn't seem as staple worthy. I think it should be on the ''frequently used'' list.

rings should be ''frequently used'' at least. This card is super awesome.
Crucible is bonkers good with fetches and exploration, Azusa, and oracle of mul daya. Good synergy there.
Thank you for updating this list! I'm sure everyone else is really glad too!
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck
Okay soooo....

Praetor's Counsel I'm leaning to the Frequently used list on this one, if there is no objections I add it there.

Crucible of Worlds I'll leave this one open to further debate at this point.

Black Sun's Zenith I agree with Chaz on this one, I'll add it to frequent if no one objects.

Rings of Brighthearth This does belong on the frequent list, I see it on a regular basis and I don't think it quite makes the grade to full staple status, thoughts?

and thanks for the support guys,

Cheers

<----- Loser.

I don't think crucible should be a staple. The only fun thing it really does is enable Landfall, and then it's staple worthy. But just using it to replay fetches and strip mine/wasteland doesn't seem as staple worthy. I think it should be on the ''frequently used'' list.

There are also manlands such as Mutavault and cycling lands such as Secluded Steppe. Plus it also protects against land destruction and makes it harder for lands to be lost due to milling. The fact that Crucible of Worlds can do so many things and allow for such a huge amount of enabling, comboing, and recovery is the very essence of what it means to be a staple card.

Xweetoks = ♥Happiness

allow for such a huge amount of enabling, comboing, and recovery is the very essence of what it means to be a staple card.

I can't agree with you there.

staple cards are useful Regardless of deck composition.

enabling and comboing and recovery are actually none of the "essence" of staple.

The very fact that it does nothing unless __________ demonstrate that it's not a staple card.

(you may fill in the blanks with, your opponent does LD, or you play fetches)

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Personally I feel staples shouldn't be just cards you play regardless of deck compistion because every deck doesn't always use it.  But the main thing I think we need to define is what is a staple what is a very used card and what is it inbetween.
Personally I feel staples shouldn't be just cards you play regardless of deck compistion because every deck doesn't always use it.  But the main thing I think we need to define is what is a staple what is a very used card and what is it inbetween.

I personally break it down like this.

Staple = if I have it I'm putting it in, if I don't have it I'm using the next best thing until I get my paws on one.

Frequently used = the next best thing to a staple or just a solid card you or others play alot.

<----- Loser.

Okay thats a fair deifiniton.  I always feel what a staple is needs to be defined so people know what they are discussing.  And might i recommend a Budget Staple section because EDH is a game where you have a lot of people who only spend 30 bucks on decks as it isn't overly competative as of yet (ie no grand prixs or pro tours)

I personally break it down like this.

Staple = if I have it I'm putting it in, if I don't have it I'm using the next best thing until I get my paws on one.

Frequently used = the next best thing to a staple or just a solid card you or others play alot.

By that definition, all of the fetchlands, dual lands, and shocklands should be on the list. and if those make the list then crucible has to cause it just makes the fetches better.
that brings up the question of how are we defining a staple? Fetches make your deck better, regardless of whether you're playing duals or not, so they are staple. 

Crucible does not necessarily make a deck better. You have to be playing enough fetches or stripmine effects for it not to simple be an easily removed counter for land destruction. I wouldn't use up a slot in my deck on a card that said "Replay your Terramorphic expanse once. And opponent must play some sort of removal spell"... but in a deck that will consistently have a fetch of some sort, AND possibly a way to play more than one land per turn? Then crucible is a perfect fit.

So is Crucible a staple because it synergizes with other staples, or is it just a good card for the same reason? It really depends on how staple is going to be used for this list. 

3DH4LIF3

that brings up the question of how are we defining a staple? Fetches make your deck better, regardless of whether you're playing duals or not, so they are staple. 

Crucible does not necessarily make a deck better. You have to be playing enough fetches or stripmine effects for it not to simple be an easily removed counter for land destruction. I wouldn't use up a slot in my deck on a card that said "Replay your Terramorphic expanse once. And opponent must play some sort of removal spell"... but in a deck that will consistently have a fetch of some sort, AND possibly a way to play more than one land per turn? Then crucible is a perfect fit.

So is Crucible a staple because it synergizes with other staples, or is it just a good card for the same reason? It really depends on how staple is going to be used for this list. 

this. very true.

Simple put, if it's not a card that can be stane-alone-awesome, i would second think its "stapleness".

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I think that Terminus should be added, at least to the frequently used list. I may have missed someone else suggesting it, if I did I'm sorry. I like having board wipes in all of my decks, but Terminus is probably my favorite due to it tucking creatures which stops people from using graveyard recursion on me. Just a thought, also I like Supreme Verdict because it can't be countered.
I think that Terminus should be added, at least to the frequently used list. I may have missed someone else suggesting it, if I did I'm sorry. I like having board wipes in all of my decks, but Terminus is probably my favorite due to it tucking creatures which stops people from using graveyard recursion on me. Just a thought, also I like Supreme Verdict because it can't be countered.

I could be wrong here, as Pontiac hasn't exactly declared so, but the rule of thumb I've seen in the last staples thread is that we wait one block before determining new staple additions.  That being the case, verdict and Terminus will need to wait just a little longer before determination(I would, however, agree with you on Terminus; Verdict would be a toss up, though it is good).

For my own suggestion, with this talk of repeated fetches(or at least one half-remembered mention of it, lol), what about Journeyer's Kite and Expedition Map?  While map is often a one-and-done artifact, it's ability to do what Prime Time no longer can has potential for highly used status, as it's relevant just about any time.  The kite can drain your deck of basics, thereby allowing more reliable card draw for mid or late game salvos.

I could be wrong here, as Pontiac hasn't exactly declared so, but the rule of thumb I've seen in the last staples thread is that we wait one block before determining new staple additions.  That being the case, verdict and Terminus will need to wait just a little longer before determination(I would, however, agree with you on Terminus; Verdict would be a toss up, though it is good).

For my own suggestion, with this talk of repeated fetches(or at least one half-remembered mention of it, lol), what about Journeyer's Kite and Expedition Map?  While map is often a one-and-done artifact, it's ability to do what Prime Time no longer can has potential for highly used status, as it's relevant just about any time.  The kite can drain your deck of basics, thereby allowing more reliable card draw for mid or late game salvos.

I wasn't aware of that, I'm kind of new to the site. Sorry about that. 

Terminus can be nasty though, especially with the miracle cost. I like Kite, but I don't really have any decks where I feel the need to dig through my library to get lands. Now that I've been playing a bit longer, my strategy has changed quite a bit. I would consider it in my Jarad, golgari lich lord deck, but I really don't like paying 3 additional to pull out 1 land per turn. 

I could be wrong here, as Pontiac hasn't exactly declared so, but the rule of thumb I've seen in the last staples thread is that we wait one block before determining new staple additions. 

This maybe the way the old one was run but I feel that after about 2 months of the card being in players hands we'll know its popularity by then. I've already added Cyclonic Rift since I can't count how many times I've seen it run.

Thanks for bringing this up Chaz I did not know that was the way the old one was run. I'd like to take a second to tell everyone that too me this list will always be changing. Over time new cards will be released which may very well effect these lists. With that in mind just remember once a card is added or subtracted its not set in stone, the format will continue to evolve and so too should this list.

now current cards under disscusion....

Praetor's Counsel no one has said otherwise so its joining the freguent list.

Black Sun's Zenith ditto.

Rings of Brighthearth ditto.

Terminus new addition for debate, I think its got the right stuff, I've never played myself since my white card pool is an unfunny joke at the moment but I've seen it at the table. I think its staple white.

Supreme Verdict I'm yet to see someone play it but I will not overlook the fact that its worthy of debate.

Expedition Map Its great but I don't see it much, I've run it a couple of times but I haven't used it in close to a year. thoughts from others?

Journeyer's Kite I don't have one it looks decent but I've only seen it played once. I'll let the jury decide.

oh and Msadler 89 welcome to the boards. 

cheers

<----- Loser.

Sign In to post comments