Bards and Implements

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello fellow adventurers! I play the Half-Elf Bard named 'Llewelyn Brightwater', also known as 'Gamma'.

After rolling a Critical 20 and blowing up a Gnome Blimp/Dirigible/Zeppelin with a random Lightning Bolt (Therefore ending a hour and a half encounter before it starts) i have almost enough experience to level up. I plan on taking Weapon Profeciency (Rapier) next level, since i think Rapiers are cool, but i want to know if i can use it as an Implement. As of now, i have a wand (Soon to be Dragonbone Wand) and a dagger, but having to draw one or the other for attacks i might not be in range for is a hassle. If possible, i want to be able to just draw my Rapier and use it for all my attacks, casted or melee.

What feats would i have to take to make this happen, if it's even possible? If i can't use a Rapier as an Implement, then i'll take Strength of Valor as a  feat instead of Weapon Profeciency (Rapier). 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Either Arcane Implement Proficiency, or else one of the Swordmage Multiclass feats: Blade Initiate or Heart of the Blade (the former requires 13 INT, the latter 13 INT and 13 CON).  Given that you're a Bard, the latter are preferable, since you can multiclass multiple times.

Note also that if you don't have a Background yet, or are up for changing it, that either Gritty Sergeant or Noble Bred for War will give you proficiency with a military weapon (which rapiers are). 
The other option would be to find (or enchant) a Songblade, which is a magic sword that can also act as a bard implement. In that case you don't require any feats, and I'm pretty sure a Rapier can accept that enchantment. This of course will require some cooperation from your DM.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
Yes, the rapier can get the Songblade enchantment. All Songblades are Heavy blade or Light blade.
Either Arcane Implement Proficiency, or else one of the Swordmage Multiclass feats: Blade Initiate or Heart of the Blade (the former requires 13 INT, the latter 13 INT and 13 CON).  Given that you're a Bard, the latter are preferable, since you can multiclass multiple times.

Note also that if you don't have a Background yet, or are up for changing it, that either Gritty Sergeant or Noble Bred for War will give you proficiency with a military weapon (which rapiers are). 

I can't change my background. He was raised in a town that has a theatre of Hlal built in it, and was brought up by a pair of actors in a troupe that performs there. His town was raided and ransacked by Faluzure worshippers, his father slain and his mother kidnapped. Neither of those would fit. 

But to reply to the others here, i'll ask my DM about acquiring a Songblade some time in the future, and if i can't i'll take either Arcane Impliment Proficiency,  or a Swordmage multiclass feat.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Sign In to post comments