3.5ed, Please Critique and adjust: Prismatic Gelatinous Cube

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
was bored one night and decided to make a home made monster.   The Prismatic gelatinous cube.  here's the stats of it.   please critique and adjust! thank you! 

Prismatic Gelatinous Cube

Type:  Huge Ooze      

Hit Dice: 6D10+32 (81)

Initiative: -5    

Speed: 15f (3 squares)

Armor Class: 3, Touch 3,  Flat Footed 3                    

Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+16

Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d6+6 plus 1d6 acid plus prismatic effect)   

Full Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d6 plus 1d6 acid plus prismatic effect)

Space/Reach: 15 ft /10 ft

Special Attack: Acid, Engulf, Paralysis, Prismatic Attack, Prismatic Defense, Blindness      

Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., Immunity to electricity, ooze traits.         

Saves: Fort +10, Ref -3, Will -3

Abilities: Str 18, Dex 1, Con 26, Int –, Wis 1, Cha 1 

Skills: –          

Feats: –           

Environment: underground

Organization: Solitary

CR: 10

Treasure: 1/10th coins, 50% goods (no nonmetal or nonstone), 50% items      (no nonmetal or nonstone)

Alignment: Always Neutral    

Advancement: 5-12Hd (Huge), 13-24(Gargantuan)  

LA: –  

Out of the dark and into the light, a shimmering of scintillating colors appear on a creature of immense size and formed like a cube, its moves sway and shift like jello as it moves towards you.

This creature was a by-product of a horrible experiment from a wizard, it still retains its gelatinous effects and movement, however, it is infused with a prismatic effect.  A creature with immense defense and attack. 

Combat: Still retaining its previous gelatinous cube forms and attacks, but in its new form of prismatic effects its more a confident cube.

Acid: A gelatinous cube's acid does not harm metal or stone.

Engulf: Although it moves slowly, a gelatinous cube can simply mow down large or smaller creatures as a standard action.  It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs.  The gelatinous cube merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover.  Opponents can make opportunity attacks against the cube, but if they do so they are not entitled a saving throw. Those who do not attempt opportunity attacks, must succeed on a DC 13 reflex save or be engulfed; on a successful save they are pushed back or aside as the cube moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the cubes paralysis and acid, and are considered to be grappled and trapped within its body.  The save DC is strength based and includes a +1 racial bonus.

Paralysis:  A gelatinous cube secretes an anesthetizing slime.  A target hit by a cubes melee or engulf attack must succeed on a DC 20 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 3d6 rounds. The cube can automatically engulf a paralyzed opponent.  The DC is constitution based.

Prismatic Attack:  In addition to the paralysis, any creature that is hit by the prismatic gelatinous cubes melee attack is subject to a prismatic spray effect attack.  (The effects are explained in the PHB 264).  

Prismatic Defense:  A prismatic gelatinous cube is encased or rather made of prismatic colors, and is treated to have the Prismatic Spray spell feature.   Any creature attempting to attack the prismatic gelatinous cube is subjected to the prismatic Spray spell.  (PHB 264)

Blindness: Any creature coming within 20ft of the cube that is 8HD or less is automatically blinded for 2D4 rounds.

This is pretty funny. I might use this.
My username should actually read: Lunar Savage (damn you WotC!) *Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb. http://asylumjournals.tumblr.com/
so would you all say this is a balanced Monster?  i'd love to know please.    Been meaning to set this beast loose on my party :D haha
I would probably put it higher than CR 10 (the prismatic spells don't typically come into play in the game until around EL 13 and have some nasty effects) and also increase the hit dice to reflect its CR more closely.  You may also want modify the defenses into essentially being treated as having a continuous Prismatic Wall effect up as well.  That more or less makes it immune to damage until the party either 1) swims through the ooze to its center, bypassing all of the damage and save or die effects, or 2) actually uses their brains and negates the effects as described in the Prismatic Wall spell.

I would probably also just remove the acid and paralysis entirely, at least until they get to the transparent, gooey center-- the prismatic effects supercede it entirely and are much nastier frankly, since any object penetrating to the violet core is just going to cease to exist.  You could probably reflect some of the existing gelatinous cube's abilities by replacing the effects of one of the existing colors instead, but having the acid be the central "transparent" color works fairly well thematically.

Oozes are very slow, so the party will typically have the option of running away.  It could be interesting to have them end up attacking one of these things and then have to go find out how to kill it because it just never stops coming.  Particularly if the group didn't have a wizard in the party.  You could have any wall effects that they negate never regenerate, so they're not facing the thing anew each time, though if you wanted it to be a bit easier it could be only a single "face" of the creature that is affected with a given spell casting.

If you wanted a lower level version of this, you could probably do that as well, where the effects are drastically reduced versions of the prismatic effects and it just has a random rider effect on its attacks that is probably even less than these (possibly xd6 damage of the appropriate kind).  Maybe something like this:

1. Red: Stops nonmagical ranged weapons; deals 10 points of fire damage

2. Orange:  Stops magical ranged weapons; deals 20 points of acid damage

3. Yellow:  Stops poisons, gases, and petrification; deals 30 points of electricity damage

4. Green:  Stops breath weapons; poison (1d6 Con, Fort negates)

5. Blue:  Stops divinitation and mental attacks; paralyzed (Fort negates)

6. Indigo:  Stops all spells; Will save or become confused for 1 round per hit die of the ooze

7. Violet:  Energy field rejects all objects and effects; Creatures and objects thrown violently away from the ooze 1d10x10 ft as telekinesis (ooze can control objects as described in the spell under violent thrust).

The spells needed to negate would probably be unchanged other than perhaps cone of cold (probably replace with ice storm), passwall (probably replace with stone shape), and disintegrate (maybe replace with transmute rock to mud).  (Or alternatively, just have a spell with the correct descriptor of a certain level.)  At that level, you could probably throw the thing at an EL 10 party, though it would be nasty and you'll want to prepare some deux ex machina just in case I suspect. 

The prismatic spray would then be:

1. Red: adds 1d6 points of fire damage to attack

2. Orange:  adds 2d6 points of acid damage to attack

3. Yellow:  adds 3d6 points of electricity damage to attack

4. Green:  adds poison to attack (1d3 Con, Fort negates)

5. Blue:  adds paralyze effect to attack (Fort negates)

6. Indigo:  casts lesser confusion on target (Will negates)

7. Violet:  creature struck is randomly teleported 1d10x10 feet in a random direction (roll 1d8).

8. Standard two effects

The other interesting thing you could do with this is have the ooze roll on the table every round as well.  Any creature inside is subject to the effect and when it rolls a 7, it teleports semi-randomly-- 1d4 for the direction (so if it basically chooses one "hemisphere" of the cardinal directions, like west, northwest, north, northeast).  Creatures in the area that it teleports into have an opportunity to react as if to engulf.
was bored one night and decided to make a home made monster.   The Prismatic gelatinous cube.  here's the stats of it.   please critique and adjust! thank you! 

Prismatic Gelatinous Cube

Type:  Huge Ooze      

Hit Dice: 6D10+32 (81)

Initiative: -5    

Speed: 15f (3 squares)

Armor Class: 3, Touch 3,  Flat Footed 3                    

Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+16

Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d6+6 plus 1d6 acid plus prismatic effect)   

Full Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d6 plus 1d6 acid plus prismatic effect)

Space/Reach: 15 ft /10 ft

Special Attack: Acid, Engulf, Paralysis, Prismatic Attack, Prismatic Defense, Blindness      

Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., Immunity to electricity, ooze traits.         

Saves: Fort +10, Ref -3, Will -3

Abilities: Str 18, Dex 1, Con 26, Int –, Wis 1, Cha 1 

Skills: –          

Feats: –           

Environment: underground

Organization: Solitary

CR: 10

Treasure: 1/10th coins, 50% goods (no nonmetal or nonstone), 50% items      (no nonmetal or nonstone)

Alignment: Always Neutral    

Advancement: 5-12Hd (Huge), 13-24(Gargantuan)  

LA: –  

Out of the dark and into the light, a shimmering of scintillating colors appear on a creature of immense size and formed like a cube, its moves sway and shift like jello as it moves towards you.

This creature was a by-product of a horrible experiment from a wizard, it still retains its gelatinous effects and movement, however, it is infused with a prismatic effect.  A creature with immense defense and attack. 

Combat: Still retaining its previous gelatinous cube forms and attacks, but in its new form of prismatic effects its more a confident cube.

Acid: A gelatinous cube's acid does not harm metal or stone.

Engulf: Although it moves slowly, a gelatinous cube can simply mow down large or smaller creatures as a standard action.  It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs.  The gelatinous cube merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover.  Opponents can make opportunity attacks against the cube, but if they do so they are not entitled a saving throw. Those who do not attempt opportunity attacks, must succeed on a DC 13 reflex save or be engulfed; on a successful save they are pushed back or aside as the cube moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the cubes paralysis and acid, and are considered to be grappled and trapped within its body.  The save DC is strength based and includes a +1 racial bonus.

Paralysis:  A gelatinous cube secretes an anesthetizing slime.  A target hit by a cubes melee or engulf attack must succeed on a DC 20 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 3d6 rounds. The cube can automatically engulf a paralyzed opponent.  The DC is constitution based.

Prismatic Attack:  In addition to the paralysis, any creature that is hit by the prismatic gelatinous cubes melee attack is subject to a prismatic spray effect attack.  (The effects are explained in the PHB 264).  

Prismatic Defense:  A prismatic gelatinous cube is encased or rather made of prismatic colors, and is treated to have the Prismatic Spray spell feature.   Any creature attempting to attack the prismatic gelatinous cube is subjected to the prismatic Spray spell.  (PHB 264)

Blindness: Any creature coming within 20ft of the cube that is 8HD or less is automatically blinded for 2D4 rounds.

Only thing I would change would be to make it a Prismatic Gelatinous PRISM, lol.

I can see a lot of cool uses for this kind of monster... floating like an orb through the astral plane, drifting through the ocean like a jelly fish in an aquatic campaign, coated in sand and moving like an ooze along desert dunes, playing the part of a magic pool in a dungeon or cave, or residing in hot springs near the bifrost bridge in a Norse campaign.

Every leprechaun wizard wants to own one, every gelatinous cube wants to BE one... the Prismatic Gelatinous Prism.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
Only thing I would change would be to make it a Prismatic Gelatinous PRISM

As an at-will ability, the prismatic gelatinous prism can listen in on people's phone calls and read their emails and internet history.

For any decision or adjudication, ask yourself, "Is this going to be fun for everyone?" and "Is this going to lead to the creation of an exciting, memorable story?"

DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Session Zero  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools  |  Game Transcripts

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Heh.
I would probably put it higher than CR 10 (the prismatic spells don't typically come into play in the game until around EL 13 and have some nasty effects) and also increase the hit dice to reflect its CR more closely.  You may also want modify the defenses into essentially being treated as having a continuous Prismatic Wall effect up as well.  That more or less makes it immune to damage until the party either 1) swims through the ooze to its center, bypassing all of the damage and save or die effects, or 2) actually uses their brains and negates the effects as described in the Prismatic Wall spell.

I would probably also just remove the acid and paralysis entirely, at least until they get to the transparent, gooey center-- the prismatic effects supercede it entirely and are much nastier frankly, since any object penetrating to the violet core is just going to cease to exist.  You could probably reflect some of the existing gelatinous cube's abilities by replacing the effects of one of the existing colors instead, but having the acid be the central "transparent" color works fairly well thematically.

Oozes are very slow, so the party will typically have the option of running away.  It could be interesting to have them end up attacking one of these things and then have to go find out how to kill it because it just never stops coming.  Particularly if the group didn't have a wizard in the party.  You could have any wall effects that they negate never regenerate, so they're not facing the thing anew each time, though if you wanted it to be a bit easier it could be only a single "face" of the creature that is affected with a given spell casting.

If you wanted a lower level version of this, you could probably do that as well, where the effects are drastically reduced versions of the prismatic effects and it just has a random rider effect on its attacks that is probably even less than these (possibly xd6 damage of the appropriate kind).  Maybe something like this:

1. Red: Stops nonmagical ranged weapons; deals 10 points of fire damage

2. Orange:  Stops magical ranged weapons; deals 20 points of acid damage

3. Yellow:  Stops poisons, gases, and petrification; deals 30 points of electricity damage

4. Green:  Stops breath weapons; poison (1d6 Con, Fort negates)

5. Blue:  Stops divinitation and mental attacks; paralyzed (Fort negates)

6. Indigo:  Stops all spells; Will save or become confused for 1 round per hit die of the ooze

7. Violet:  Energy field rejects all objects and effects; Creatures and objects thrown violently away from the ooze 1d10x10 ft as telekinesis (ooze can control objects as described in the spell under violent thrust).

The spells needed to negate would probably be unchanged other than perhaps cone of cold (probably replace with ice storm), passwall (probably replace with stone shape), and disintegrate (maybe replace with transmute rock to mud).  (Or alternatively, just have a spell with the correct descriptor of a certain level.)  At that level, you could probably throw the thing at an EL 10 party, though it would be nasty and you'll want to prepare some deux ex machina just in case I suspect. 

The prismatic spray would then be:

1. Red: adds 1d6 points of fire damage to attack

2. Orange:  adds 2d6 points of acid damage to attack

3. Yellow:  adds 3d6 points of electricity damage to attack

4. Green:  adds poison to attack (1d3 Con, Fort negates)

5. Blue:  adds paralyze effect to attack (Fort negates)

6. Indigo:  casts lesser confusion on target (Will negates)

7. Violet:  creature struck is randomly teleported 1d10x10 feet in a random direction (roll 1d8).

8. Standard two effects

The other interesting thing you could do with this is have the ooze roll on the table every round as well.  Any creature inside is subject to the effect and when it rolls a 7, it teleports semi-randomly-- 1d4 for the direction (so if it basically chooses one "hemisphere" of the cardinal directions, like west, northwest, north, northeast).  Creatures in the area that it teleports into have an opportunity to react as if to engulf.

DANG wow!! thank you soooo much for taking the time to write that out! thats a great idea to use (the latter portion of your message)  i'll definitely have to incorporate that into the monster! 

again....thank you!

Tim  
i know its been 2 years since i played 3.5, but really?

A CR 10 with only 81 hp's and a Ac of 3? (btw 6d10 + 32 hp is actually 65 HP). Are you using ThAC0 for some reason?

I think a house cat could kill it if it won initiative (which it will, since the cube has -5 to init).

Honestly, even as it's written, i'm more afraid of a CR5 troll, i can't outrun the troll,  it has a better ac, and more HP's (and regen!). 
FWIW [4e designer] baseline assumption was that roughly 70% of your feats would be put towards combat effectiveness, parties would coordinate, and strikers would do 20/40/60 at-will damage+novas. If your party isn't doing that... well, you are below baseline, so yes, you need to optimize slightly to meet baseline. -Alcestis
The AC is pretty much unavoidable in a gelatinus cube variant, however, at level 10, it's entirely possible a single prismatic spray can one shot a PC.  A housecat at least, would not have a chance against the thing even in its original incarnation.

Hmm... let me rephrase that.  At level 10 it is _likely_ a single spray will one shot a PC, it's possible at any level given the save or die's built into it.  That makes for a very swingy encounter that isn't likely to be very satisfactory-- you either mostly die or have almost nothing happen to you.  The prismatic wall addition should be a bit more interesting, though possibly more frustrating if the characters don't figure it out.
I was joking, but i see it something lke this:

a level 2 ranger moves 30 feet and fires 2 shots, they both hit unless he rolls a 1.
The cube double moves 30 feet and still cant hit the ranger.
Repeat 4 times or so.

So at this stage the only thing that can kill the ranger is the Spray. I understand that the liklihood is still that the ranger ranger dies, but it still seems far too possible for him to win.
Very swingy indeed. 
FWIW [4e designer] baseline assumption was that roughly 70% of your feats would be put towards combat effectiveness, parties would coordinate, and strikers would do 20/40/60 at-will damage+novas. If your party isn't doing that... well, you are below baseline, so yes, you need to optimize slightly to meet baseline. -Alcestis
Unless the cube runs.   Then he's suddenly moving 60 and Mr. Ranger is subject to either an engulf or an attack of opportunity at the least.  That's assuming this takes place in a dungeon anyway-- out in the open, a bow would have more than enough range to do something similar.
Sign In to post comments