Anything goes draft 2!

347 posts / 0 new
Last post
I got a few messages asking to do another one of these so I am.  If you would like another certain type of fun draft let me know and when the first anything goes draft gets done I will do that.

Also for this one I have added foils so any card in Magic history can be a foil.

Pack 1:

Aladdin's Ring
Vengeance
Secretkeeper
Library of Alexandria
Orcish Lumberjack
Divine Verdict
Commune with Nature
Boggart Birth Rite
Blood Seeker
Faceless Butcher
Spiraling Embers
Crosstown Courier
Samite Healer
Tinder Wall
Llanowar Elves 
A bit tough for me. Is library of alexandria worth it in limited? Seems good only in opening hand. Honestly I think I'd rather get divine verdict or llanowar elves. I think my vote is for elves.
Library is definitely the pick here... sad thing is I didn't even notice it first time around, I was looking at the speed-ramp guys (lumberjack and tinder wall, but who knows if there'll be anything worth speed ramping into considering this is a huge mash up) and the butcher.

But yeah, if anything library of alexandria is even better in limited than constructed. You can survive all game just playing one or two cards a turn to keep your hand size at 6 or 7. It's such a good card that we may as well declare ourselves winners of this draft right now and go to the next draft (unless someone else first picked a Pack Rat).
Library of Alexandria is an all-time great, definitely the pick here. Back in the day LoA was restricted, and a lot of matches were won or lost based on who had LoA in their starting hand.
A bit tough for me. Is library of alexandria worth it in limited? Seems good only in opening hand. Honestly I think I'd rather get divine verdict or llanowar elves. I think my vote is for elves.

It taps for mana. 
Library absolutely.... particularly since our rare wasn't that big a deal.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Well we either go super safe and take Volcanic Hammer or roll the dice and grab Incarnation.

I'd rather try this draft a different route and see what happens.

Personal Incarnation. 

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

hammer time

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

I like Incarnation, but WWW is pretty step. Volcanic Hammer seems much more solid.

PI is just a kindercatch. There are a few 'theme' cards here like a threshold and a populate but nothing that really grabs us. Low cost is good with Library.

Volcanic Hammer

Sure, I'll go with M.C. Hammer

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Just voting to Hammer home what the pick is here.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I kinda just like the courser here. 3/3 for 3? This is limited after all. 

It's a tough call, I don't see any standouts. I suppose the 3/3 for 3 is probably it.
There's Cancel, Catalog, and Courser. Let's start with the creature.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

I actually think the Enslaved Scout might be my pick. It's worse on turn three but potentially a lot better late-game, and it's in the color we've already taken a card in.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Everything sucks, agreed... lets take the Gray Ogre and wait for a really good reason to take a 2nd color.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

Scout.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Courser
Orzhov Guildgate is fixing. I'll take that. 

We've picked a red card.  I don't think we need B/W fixing.
Though I think I probably would have picked Crosis's Catacombs for the last pick, and after that I might take the Guildgate here and go mono-lands.

There's Sakiko, Courser, and Dryad Sophisticate all still here.  That's two very solid limited creatures among all this crap, and the green rare still in the pack.  I know it's only pick three, but green is open here.  I'm taking the Courser, hoping to get back the Dryad.
Courser
I've never played with a LoA, but I'd want to get enough cards to synergize with it as possible.  Catalog digs, and blue has a lot of card draw.

We've picked a red card.  I don't think we need B/W fixing.
Though I think I probably would have picked Crosis's Catacombs for the last pick, and after that I might take the Guildgate here and go mono-lands.

There's Sakiko, Courser, and Dryad Sophisticate all still here.  That's two very solid limited creatures among all this crap, and the green rare still in the pack.  I know it's only pick three, but green is open here.  I'm taking the Courser, hoping to get back the Dryad.

Literally only one pick of red. But yes, let's get married to a single red card. 

How can you say green is open on the third pick in a draft format of random cards.

Also, if those three green cards are theoretically pickable, that means in the second pack we're going to get cut from green because the players next to us think green is open. 

do you even limited?
Picking Degavolver. That card is good. Second choice would be Selesnya Evangel. That card is good too. 
Evangel is great and gives us something to do with our mana without playing out too many cards, making the Library better.
That's a tough choice, but I think Evangel is the pick here.
Evangel

How can you say green is open on the third pick in a draft format of random cards.

Also, if those three green cards are theoretically pickable, that means in the second pack we're going to get cut from green because the players next to us think green is open. 

do you even limited?

Because all of the best cards in the pack (by a lot) are green.  Sakiko isn't amazing, I only mentioned her to show that the rare is still there, so you can tell that nobody took a green bomb rare.  And based on all the unplayable cards we've been seeing in this "format," I can't imagine that there were better green cards than those to put people to our right in green.  And if green is open to our right for packs one and three, we can deal with getting cut a little for pack two.

As for this pick, Degavolver is the best card in the pack, but I don't like it being three colors.  The mana fixing definitely seems better this time around, we've seen one fixing card in each pack so far, but I still would rather not try it.  Evangel is my pick here.
Degavolver, it lines up with our hammer... and we don't have to play the black if it doesn't work out.

Evangel is good, but pushes just as much into 3 colors as Degavolver. Give me the bomb instead?

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

do you even limited?

Because all of the best cards in the pack (by a lot) are green.  Sakiko isn't amazing, I only mentioned her to show that the rare is still there, so you can tell that nobody took a green bomb rare.  And based on all the unplayable cards we've been seeing in this "format," I can't imagine that there were better green cards than those to put people to our right in green.  And if green is open to our right for packs one and three, we can deal with getting cut a little for pack two.

As for this pick, Degavolver is the best card in the pack, but I don't like it being three colors.  The mana fixing definitely seems better this time around, we've seen one fixing card in each pack so far, but I still would rather not try it.  Evangel is my pick here.

>Sakiko isn't amazing
>nobody took a green bomb rare

do you know what a bomb is? And we still didn't take the so called "bomb".  

Yeah, you're bad at drafting if you think getting cut in pack 2 is fine. The whole point of signalling is so you don't get cut. 

Degavolver is also one color plus whatever you kick. You don't have to kick both sides for it to be good. That's why Volvers are good.  
As for this pick, Degavolver is the best card in the pack, but I don't like it being three colors.  The mana fixing definitely seems better this time around, we've seen one fixing card in each pack so far, but I still would rather not try it.  
Evangel is my pick here

While others has posted that you can run the 'vovler 2 color ... a 3/3 regenerate or a 2/2 first strike for isn't particularly efficent.  I agree the 3 color version is pretty sweet.   
rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."

>Sakiko isn't amazing

Do you know how to read?  Did I say that Sakiko is a bomb?  I flat-out said in my post that it's not an amazing card, but I pointed it out to show the rare is still here.  We know that nobody took a green bomb rare because there is a rare in the pack.

Yeah, you're bad at drafting if you think getting cut in pack 2 is fine. The whole point of signalling is so you don't get cut. 

Getting cut for one pack is fine.  We're not trying to play mono-green, and even if we were then putting someone on our left into green is not really a big deal.  One or two people can't cut every green card from us, and there are still other colors to play.

Evangel is good, but pushes just as much into 3 colors as Degavolver. Give me the bomb instead?

But that is counting the color of another card we've already picked.  If we're doing that then Degavolver is pushing us into four.
We're on volcanic hammer for sure, courser I could care less about walking away from for Degavolver... I imagine everyone would agree we're not going to cleave to an efficient creature at the cost of a bomb being draftable.

Are you guys serously letting the first 2 colored picks decide the draft when neither of them is a bomb? There's no reason to do that. Here is our first choice at a bomb, the Degavolver. We pick up our first bomb, be happy it plays well with Hammer.... shrug at the Courser and truck ahead full speed. It's also possible we get more green later and just play the WR1 version of the volver... which isn't bad... and find a way to hit a black mana later. Volver is flexibility, bombiness as desired.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

I'll jump on the Volver train, even if it isn't the one I would've liked ^_^

191752181 wrote:
Evangel is great and gives us something to do with our mana without playing out too many cards, making the Library better.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

Degavolver

>Sakiko isn't amazing

Do you know how to read?  Did I say that Sakiko is a bomb?  I flat-out said in my post that it's not an amazing card, but I pointed it out to show the rare is still here.  We know that nobody took a green bomb rare because there is a rare in the pack.

Getting cut for one pack is fine.  We're not trying to play mono-green, and even if we were then putting someone on our left into green is not really a big deal.  One or two people can't cut every green card from us, and there are still other colors to play.

But that is counting the color of another card we've already picked.  If we're doing that then Degavolver is pushing us into four.

I can't believe that it was hard to follow your convoluted form of "logic". 

If you think it's okay to get cut for a pack then you're bad at drafting. Good luck scraping playables off the bottom of the barrel.

You clearly don't know anything about drafting. Did you know that you're not forced to play all of the cards you pick in your draft deck? Do you know we can play the bomb rare in this pack and not play the vanilla 3/3 we picked? Did you know you can only kick one half of the volver?