Mix and match

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know that Castle Ravenloft and  the other D&D board games can be used well together but has anyone tried making stats so that you can use your old minis in the game. ?
I haven't, but I know it's been done before.

More frequently, though, I suspect folks just trade out the unpainted D&D board game minis for painted D&D Minis.

In case you don't aleady know, the "Dungeon Command" games are designed to be a stand-alone board game system, but they do include painted miniatures, cards and rules that are designed to work with "Castle Ravenloft", "Wrath of Ashardalon", and "Legend of Drizzt", as well as tiles that interlock exactly with those in "Castle Ravenloft" etc.

The "Dungeon Command" monster sets are great for adding some new monsters into the mix, but the set of heroes is the most dramatic of these expansions, and includes a set of rules for using these heroes as allies in "Castle Ravenloft" and the rest.

If you like "Castle Ravenloft", you're bound to like the Dungeon Command sets, too
[spoiler New DM Tips]
  • Trying to solve out-of-game problems (like cheating, bad attitudes, or poor sportsmanship) with in-game solutions will almost always result in failure, and will probably make matters worse.
  • Gun Safety Rule #5: Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. (Never introduce a character, PC, NPC, Villain, or fate of the world into even the possibility of a deadly combat or other dangerous situation, unless you are prepared to destroy it instantly and completely forever.)
  • Know your group's character sheets, and check them over carefully. You don't want surprises, but, more importantly, they are a gold mine of ideas!
  • "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's a problem if the players aren't having fun and it interferes with a DM's ability to run the game effectively; if it's not a problem, 'fixing' at best does little to help, and at worst causes problems that didn't exist before.
  • "Hulk Smash" characters are a bad match for open-ended exploration in crowds of civilians; get them out of civilization where they can break things and kill monsters in peace.
  • Success is not necessarily the same thing as killing an opponent. Failure is not necessarily the same thing as dying.
  • Failure is always an option. And it's a fine option, too, as long as failure is interesting, entertaining, and fun!
[/spoiler] The New DM's Group Horror in RPGs "This is exactly what the Leprechauns want you to believe!" - Merb101 "Broken or not, unbalanced or not, if something seems to be preventing the game from being enjoyable, something has to give: either that thing, or other aspects of the game, or your idea of what's enjoyable." - Centauri
Thanks for that will pick up a couple of packs and will mix some of my sons favourite mini into the game though if we use my favourite mini of the collossal red dragon it may tip the game up but ththeir on his face when I place it on the table will be priceless