Newest Issue of Dungeon..

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, the 1-3 level adventure in the most recent Dungeon magazine is called "The Elder Elemental Eye" and says it was originally created for the Encounters program. Is this the ACTUAL Encounters material? I hope so, but having never had the opportunity to actually participate before, I don't know myself.

Edit: Upon reading through it quickly, it is!

My response to this is actually a somewhat surprised thumbs up to Wizards! Thank you for FINALLY releasing the content so that those of us who can't make Encounters on Wednesday nights can actually see the content and even play it if that is what we choose!

I heartly approve, and for the first time in quite a while, feel like my DDI subscription for this month has netted me something I was really interested in, but did not expect to gain. Now, if only the PAST seasons could be released! But THANK YOU.

So many PCs, so little time...
this is the second one, they put out Beyond the Crystal Cave in #211 also

its a pattern I'd like to see continue
I had the exact opposite reaction: I've played these modules, and in some cases I even own them, so putting them in the magazine to me smells like lazy filler; instead of vetting some new adventures they recycle things they've already published.  Also, I'm mostly interested in the Encounters poster maps, so releasing the adventure (instead of publishing new content) without letting us buy the maps is the worst possible combination.
I had the exact opposite reaction: I've played these modules, and in some cases I even own them, so putting them in the magazine to me smells like lazy filler; instead of vetting some new adventures they recycle things they've already published.  Also, Im mostly interested in the Encounters poster maps, so releasing the adventure (instead of publishing new content) without letting us buy the maps is the worst possible combination.

Different strokes for different folks, I imagine. Like I said, I am never able to make Wednesday nights, so it's all new content to me. Granted, I can make my OWN, but I like to be able to run the same stuff other folks have, even if it's well after the fact.

I can imagine that if I had previously gone through them the shine might be off, somewhat, but people have asked for this for years, so it's nice to see them make the adventures available.

Edit: As for the maps, I don't mind drawing on my Chessex map, so that is a minor gripe for me, though it would be neat to see a download available.
Glad they finally started to distribute D&D Encounters in Dungeon Magazines. Not everyone had the chance to get those and you cant purchase them easily.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

If there was no opportunity cost to including old Encounters modules in Dungeon, I'd be happy too.  But, as it is, I prefer option 1 to option 2, below, though of course I prefer either 1 or 2 to 3:

1. new adventure in Dungeon + scrounging online for old Encounters modules

2. old Encounters module in Dungeon

3. nothing--in other words, a shorter issue of Dungeon that has neither a new adventure nor an old Encounters module

Also, Encounters modules I think suffer from having to be paced so that there's a combat encounter in every 2 hour session.  Thus, they're more restricted than other modules would have to be, so I think all else equal they're not even as good as a fresh module.  It's like the difference between a 2 hour movie and a television series of six 30 minute parts (with commercial breaks).  The two hour movie has more freedoms with pacing than the television series does.
I can see that stance, for sure. I would dearly love for Dungeon to put out some fresh stuff; for example, it may not be the popular vote, but I would love to see another full length Adventure Path come around. I have said before that I would have been willing to pay a modest amount to get access to PDFs of the Encounter seasons after they ended, just because I RARELY run stock anything, but having a nice built in story line and a series of linked, decently planned encounters that I can riff on is like the pre-made skeleton to my necromancer Animate Dead (3e style)... all the stuff is there, I just have to fill it with unholy energy and send it forth.

My BEST case, then, was for my Dungeon subscription to provide me the Encounters info, though I can pick the nit that it shouldn't necessarily take the PLACE of a new adventure, just be added in as a free download, I won't complain, because it's been on my WotC wishlist in any form.