Dimensional Dodge - Swordmage Utility 10

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
As a result of using this power, is there any benefit other than being adjacent to the target?
Would the target provoke an OA, or would the triggering attack miss?
As I read it, I can only see being adjacent to the target as the end result but maybe I'm missing something?
As a result of using this power, is there any benefit other than being adjacent to the target?
As I read it, I can only see being adjacent to the target as the end result but maybe I'm missing something?

You're right.  The trigger is being hit, and unless being adjacent somehow prevents you from being hit you are still hit.  The attack would provoke an OA, but the trigger is hitting, not attacking.

You're right.  The trigger is being hit, and unless being adjacent somehow prevents you from being hit you are still hit.  The attack would provoke an OA, but the trigger is hitting, not attacking.

No, if the trigger is "hit" then the attack already happened, so I don't think it will trigger an OA in this case.

No, if the trigger is "hit" then the attack already happened, so I don't think it will trigger an OA in this case.

That's what I said.  If the trigger were attacking, then you would provoke, but not if it's hitting.
I have always ruled that if an Interrupt lets you move to a different square, it lets you avoid a melee/ranged attack (but not area/close).
Now, I don't think there's anything in the rules that explicitly says that my ruling is correct, but is there someplace where it explicitly says I'm NOT correct?
IMHO: Letting you nullify a single, ranged attack that hits with a level 10 Daily power is NOT overpowered. And, I feel this is the intent of that power.  
Arguably, since you're no longer in the space the enemy attacked, and the power is an interrupt, you are now not hit because the enemy has now attacked an empty space.  The teleport interrupts the hit.

But even if you don't agree with that there are other benefits:
1) If the enemy was going to make multiple ranged attacks, now its subsequent attacks would provoke an OA from you.
2) Most swordmages gain other benefits when teleporting.  In particular there are two Eladrin Paragon paths (Shiere Knight and Azure Guard) which grant defensive bonuses whenever you teleport as of 16th level.  There's also a feat for Shardar-kai swordmages to become insubstatial when you teleport.  All of those defensive bonuses would apply to the attack as well, so if you don't agree with the total miss due to teleport, it could still miss due to those benefits.
3) There are also feats that would cause the enemy to grant combat advantage or grant other benefits on a teleport which would help you counter attack.

One thing to note - I don't think the effect text of this power trumps the need for LOS to the destination square of a teleport, so if you can't see any square adjacent to the enemy, you can't use the power to teleport there.