Castle Ravenloft - Resolving Damage on Multiple Monsters

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
My friend and I were discussing (arguing) about the rules on killing multiple monsters in the same attack.

The wording on  the rules seemed to indicate to him that you could only discard ONE monster if there are multiple monsters killed with the same type. I argued that each monster is killed, one after the other, and the rules simply wanted to indicate that damaging/killing one monster of a type doesn't mean you can do anything to the other.

Let me set up this scenario:

2 players. 3 monsters: 1 skeleton, 2 kobolds
Player 1 controls 1 skeleton, 1 kobold
Player 2 controls 1 kobold

Player 1:
Hero Phase - Cleave to attack all 3 monsters.
Roll for skeleton hit. Hit, 1 damage, skeleton dies.
The first person who owns a skeleton is Player 1. Player 1 discards the skeleton.
Roll for kobold hit. Hit, 1 damage, kobold dies.
The first person who owns a kobold is Player 1. Player 1 discards the kobold.
Roll for kobold hit. Hit, 1 damage, kobold dies.
The first person (clockwise) who owns a kobold is Player 2. Player 2 discards the kobold.

So all 3 monsters die, but one at a time, looking for a proper controller on each death. Is this accurate?

The scenario presented is accurate.  A hero can kill multiple monsters (regardless of type or number of similar monsters). There is only one treasure gained in the above scenario.  The only tricky thing to remember is that the monster cards are the instructions for the figures.  They are not the figure themselves.  For instance, if there were a third player whom was destroying these monsters instead of player 1, then regardless of which kobold figure died first, the player to the left would discard their kobold card.  This occurs simply because the card is not the monster, and the monster is independent of its card.  Think of the monster card  as the activation token/monster instructions only.

So in short, as long as cleave allows you to attack multiple targets in one attack phase, I agree with the scenario presented.
Sign In to post comments