Dark Confidant

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
My husband, roommate and myself all want to know why Dark Confidant is such a highly sought after card, and why is he considered so good? What combos use him, what type of decks win because of him?
Thanks guys
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Dark Confidant, or "Bob" as he's known is an exteremely powerful card. It's a decent body for the price combined with free card draw. The card may cost you life, but since there's no mana cost, drawing them doesn't slow down your gameplan. Bob's card draw may hurt, but if he draws you the winning card it doesn't matter what you're life total's at (unless you're dead of course).
Bob is especially powerful in formats like legacy where most decks are largely composed of 1-3 cmc cards (so the damage is mitiagated) and games are decided early (so you want your cards now without having to spend a turn's worth of mana paying for them).
You get to draw extra cards.

Every turn.

And you can swing.

Every turn.

For 2 CMC.
Yeah, ole Bob is insanely good in fast decks of any type, whether those decks are control simply out drawing their opponent, or aggro to have extra stuff to swing with in addition to being a body.

Also, though uncommonly, his ability costs you nothing if you reveal a land.

If you need a comparison, look at him and Sylvan Library.

Although in different formats, check out the differences.

Bob's a creature, draws one less card per turn, but can swing in too as well as bait other removal for perhaps better stuff. Also may draw more cards for less life.

Sylvan Library isn't modern legal, draws extra cards for a flat 4 life each (hurts huh?) and being an enchantment, does nothing outside of drawing cards unlike Bob.

Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
Sylvan Library isn't modern legal, draws extra cards for a flat 4 life each (hurts huh?) and being an enchantment, does nothing outside of drawing cards unlike Bob.

Sylvan Library and Dark Confidant fill two completely different roles and are actually thoroughly synergistic with eachother.

Most decks run singleton Sylvan Library more as a green Sensei's Divining Top than anything else. Yes, it can draw cards when you NEED it to, but mostly it's just to get the best pick of the top three cards of your library and stack the rest.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO

Sylvan Library and Dark Confidant fill two completely different roles and are actually thoroughly synergistic with eachother.

Most decks run singleton Sylvan Library more as a green Sensei's Divining Top than anything else. Yes, it can draw cards when you NEED it to, but mostly it's just to get the best pick of the top three cards of your library and stack the rest.

I love Sylvan Library. Whenever I play Legacy (which is rare) I always get a deck with it.

(at)MrEnglish22

Sign In to post comments