Revive & Rework NWN and offer as a new Adventure Tool?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wow. I quit my D&DI subscription after realizing that WotC pretty much dropped the development of the tools they've promised to give subscribers back then. I felt like I was one of the last to do this, because I was the defender of the Coast - being ever vigilant that they would come through, given some more time. Then they pulled the stunt of making the Character Designer an internet-only tool, which took all of the resources that they had for far too long. "We have a big surprise for you!" they said. It nearly killed me to see that after all of the wars... I stayed strong - only to have them take the one tool that I could use away from me, unless I'm where internet is offered.
Caveat: The "Dungeon" and "Dragon" magazines, however, are worth the entire subscription price - in my honest opinion, though. It was just the heart-felt shock of being betrayed by those whom I've loved and trusted over so many years... I haven't purchased a single WotC product since. This is, of course, childish. But it's my childish side that still plays D&D as an adult - so I guess it works. The money has no taken hold into the realms of becoming a 3d artist - so I guess I can thank WotC for making me feel so betrayed! lol 

Well Now I have internet of my own - the world is changing - except for DDi, apparently. Does it still cost money? I noticed that they still haven't provided any more tools. What gives with that? There was a beta for the Table Top system, I thought.

So I thought that I would come in here and mention to my fellow D&D enthusiasts that gog (Good Ol' Games) has the complete Neverwinter Nights collection for only 9.99 US here: www.gog.com/gamecard/neverwinter_nights_...

and the complete Neverwinter Nights 2 collection for only 19.99 US here:
www.gog.com/gamecard/neverwinter_nights_...

The thing I love about the first one, is that it has nearly any D&D model you could ask for - for use in your games. But also, it runs on very meager systems - like this low-cost netbook I'm on now. NWN2 had a big push by fans for higher graphics capabilities - which they did, nicely. Great game. For these prices, I recommend them both.

But if you want to play D&D adventures with friends on the internet, say you live far away, etc., there is currently no better tool - especially if you like the use of maps and miniatures! No mess to clean up, but your own.

The system works so well, that I wish that Wizards of the Coast would use this extraordinary tool to make a new tabletop tool for insider subscribers using its engine. Currently NWN1 (Diamond Edition) uses the 3.0 rules and NWN 2 uses 3.5, I believe. When playing, the rules don't matter so much - aside from character selection, spells, etc., but if WotC wanted to bring fourth edition (which I love, so far) into it, they'd need to do some revamping. This likely wouldn't have taken a long search to find someone capable of - at the time that they started DDi, since there were many, back then, who knew how to codeinto the system blindfolded. So at the NW Vault, you can still find loads and loads of free addons- probably more than you'll ever find for any other computer game - ever - that can give you:

New Modules to Play

New Races and Prestige Classes to be

New rules systems to run

New Monsters

New Appearances

etc.,

The CEP (Community Expansion Project) is a great start, if you want to build your own modules, as it includes what a team has considered to be the best of the best as long as the Vault has been around - which was then improved and compiled into a nice and easy to use Expansion Pack.

The beauty of Neverwinter Nights 1 is that it was built from the ground up to bea simple user experience to build your own games using the included toolset. The neat part of this is that you get all sorts of different types of worlds to choose from, then you 'paint' down premade pieces, not unlike what you'd expect to find in a tabletop tile product - but more, the whole product line and more. Because you can also paint down people, monsters, animals, trees, rocks, randomized encounters, doors that don't work, doors that do work, doors that do work, but are locked, area transitions of many sorts, nearly every type of Dragon imaginable from all age categories - select whether they'll be friendly or foe. Bugbears, Orcs, Goblins, Undead of all kinds, Outsiders of all kinds, Golems, Giants (even Ettin!) Beholders of all varieties, All manner of Lycantropes.
Paint the perimeter of your own castle, by selecting partsfrom the pane on the side of the screen, and painting it down where you want within the terrain - from walls, to towers and portcullis, buildings and scenery - all more easily than what one could imagine.

Now comes the cool part:
NWN 1 & 2 comes with what's called the DM Client! Yes! Dungeon Master asa player- or as players (Plural!) You can have several DMs if you have enough people. What you can do with this, is the DMs can get together on their own to work out who will be doing what - for all DMs can easily see where all Player Characters are. Still, this only adds to the coolness of the DM Client - as only one DM is ever necessary. DM's are invisible to all unless the don't want to be. They can kill or revive anything. Move stuff around, make noises, change/play music and/or weather, jump in an instant between areas and are much MUCH faster than normal Player Characters - even if hasted unless they are currently 'posessing' another person or creature. Yeah... any living thing, besides PCs - the DM can posess them. So now that (whatever it is) is now the DMs avatar model until he or she unposesses it again. 

The Lower resolution graphics of the first NWN is still highly detailed when you back off from view like the table in front of you - which is awesome. The animations, in my opinion, are supreme. Many emotes and actions are included in the stock game - some for purpose, some just for flavor. The chat window is for communicating in several ways - you can select who 'hears' what you type. Many players also use "Team Speak" and their microphones.

Even if they didn't want to convert it to 4th Edition, it would still be an excellent service that they could provide to their faithful subscribers. Just my thoughts. Can't believe that they haven't provided more for the digital side of D&D yet - where the NWN developers and their community have come up with nearly everything that they could think of. Still, Turbo Squid has a free model creation/editing software (Gmax) and the community has the plugins for it for use in making and editing models and animations, including VFX. All aspects of the game were meant to be added to and modified from the start - and all can bedone with free tools provided via the developer or the community.  There's even at least two really good script generators that will write scripts for you - after you tell it what you want, by picking and choosing from a host of options. Many MANY scripts are already available. It's just an amazing D&D resource.

I know this comment is flippant, I apologize in advance.

Dude... you've forgotten of which company you are talking about : that idea makes a good deal of sense, uses resources that are already available to them, could leverage the considerable talent their community possess and could constitute a low-buy-in revenue stream.

That kind of thinking isn't accepted around here.

Oh yeah!
Ya know... I did mention I've been away for a long time, right?
Oh well. I get to use it - and that's what counts.
There's a whole group of Addons that I've yet to try - which adds all of the Prestige Classes from all of those third edition supplements available through d20 products - and a whole lot more, like all of the various races, too. I've played "Firefly" and "Star Wars" games in Neverwinter Nights 1, as well as a pile of great D&D campaigns. Just love it - as an RPG system.

The ability to carve out your own adventures is one thing. But I always wanted to play. So I built a good many "encounter and plot-free" modules that just encompass a large expansive area, and let my DMs use itto run adventures in. Playing in the toolset becomes a fun hobby in its own. I love how when you paint a waterfall, the water builds and then gushes into the looping waterfall animation - just within the toolset! Very cool. Instead of a sliding miniature, you have a walking, animated character. But it really is a miniature - no lip synching or any of that - but their 'talking' animation really gives the impression that they're talking. 

In their latest update, years ago, they've added the ability to ride horses - which is very VERY cool. Now the community took that and ran with it. The newest CEP gives you Wolves, Dragon, Drakes, Hippogrifs, Bears, Elephant, Shark (for underwater scenes), oh there's a whole plentiful range available to ride. You can even make your characters fly now! lol

Best darned RPG system I've used to date - especially the facts:

Ease of creating original adventures

Ease of converting Pen and Paper modules

Ease of making entire campaigns

Ease of running games as a host - whether player or DM

DM and Multiple DM capabilities

Text or Speech Chat capable

Original content is easy to make and add - the whole game was developed around this aspect

Unlike all other game editors, NWN1 toolset is so easy to use to create any sort of scene, whether it ever gets used in a game, or just as a fun painting exercise! Paint visual FX that are pre-made and waiting in the organized pallette. Add a creature and make it friend, foe, or neutral bystander. Easily create conversation files as if you were typing in a word processor - which always hints who is speaking what you type - the NPC or the PC... the PC being whatever choices you give the players to click on. Add custom sounds and movies. Create cutscenes that play out using the game engine before the eyes of the players. Use these powers to film your own low res movies.

Many popular D&D adventures have been converted to NWN long ago, and tweeked per popular requests over time -making a truly awe-inspiring collection of adventures to choose from. Then you can decide to play through them on your own, or with a group of friends either on the internet or LAN, with a DM or without. Multiple DM capabilities for even more interaction between game design and the players - because players logged in as DMs can control nearly any aspect of the game!

Complete d20 Modern System available for your futuristic gaming desires!

Sorry for carrying on so... but I just cannot get over why such a great system is not actively propelled forward - or at least hosted by WotC! It baffles my mind! Then they turn around and bring back an old scroll by arcade game...heh.
Truth be told - that arcade game does look fun - but it's just not my style of entertainment -where D&D (like what you're playing when you're playing NWN 1 or 2) really is my style of entertainment!                   
Check it out! 
[video=1521927]

This looks like a nice tutorial on using the toolset if you'd like a look at how easy it is to create a scene or game level using the toolset. You can create much more, though. As you begin to experience making new areas, andpopulating them with people, creatures, objects, sounds and visual effects, you'll amaze at how easy this toolset is to use. 
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJgOiPnqpjw

Even if you never create a module or download them from the NWVault, you'll certainly love playing all of the included campaigns. The main, first campaign will take you from first level, starting with a cool training academy that teaches you how to play NWN, to level 20, if your character survives through the entire campaign. It is so vast that I've played it several times without disliking a thing!
Shadows of Undrentide is another campaign that begins at level one, and encompasses a whole new story line that is amazingly rich in Forgotten Realms lore. I great module to play through just for the immense tour of some of the history of the Realms - as you take the reins as the hero who must remain ever courageous and determined to overcome all that he or she faces in this grand adventure.
Hordes of the Underdark takes place after the original campaign - assuming that your PC is the same character that won the original campaign - so it's really fun to use the same character. There are also elements of your heroics from Shadows of Undrentide as well - so you begin this campaign at level 20 minimum, but can be higher. A fascinating adventure that twists and turns and throws D&D's greatest adversaries against you. Face the every-changing maze of death traps andmonsters through Halaster's greatest creation - Undermountain! I've always wanted to delve in there since it first came out in 2nd Edition - HotU does NOT disappoint! You're around level 40 by the end.
D&D Insider's scaring me away had a fairly positive effect, however.
I was so upset that I vowed not to buy any more 4th edition stuff - except, perhaps miniatures. A vow that I fully intended to break after a while.
That's where I realized how much $$$ I spent on new D&D stuff. I bought a 3d Mastering Suite Profesional edition and, in testing out my ability to animate, created this really cool test video:
 [video=1521931]
The stars seen in the space ship scenes is a sample of my first product as a Published Artist, using my newly found skills, all thanks to getting mad at the lack of faith that WotC shown it's subscribers, by making Character Creator unavailable simply because of trust issues between them and their faithful followers. 

This led to my second product for the CG community:
 [video=1521929]
I can buy a lot of CG stuff when I'm not giving it to who I wanted to give it to.
What you're talking about would require a complete rebuild from the ground up in order to be practical.

However, without modifications, NWN IS AN AWESOME ADVENTURE TOOLS SUITE (kinda).  I actually use it all the time to create 3D poster maps for tabletop sessions, visualize PCs, and a few times we have used it instead of the tabletop, with 3E equivalents of our 4E adventuring party, to do an adventure ... for a change of pace, and had a lot of fun.

And yes, as awesome as the Toolset is, the DM client is what really makes it shine.  I can play right along with the party as the omnipotent observer while they go through the dungeon I designed, and jump in at any time as any character and change just about anything on the fly.  It's great, and I highly recommend the original NWN for anyone who doesn't already have it.  

The singleplayer experience is okay, but multiplayer (preferably at a LAN party) is where it really shines.     

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Perhaps too much to rebuild to 4E - But if that's the case, I wonder howq much work it would take to fix what they've already claimed I would be getting when I joined Insider way back when. Truly, I'm not trying to kick a dead horse, here... and I do love WotC's D&D products that I've purchased and seen so far. The idea that they're shooting for a whole new edition already seems to make the trend for me - and the last thing I need to get hooked on is a hobby that demands a complete re-investment every few years. Profesion? Yeah - alright. Hobby? Not anymore.

I would rather use NWN as my rules set, Monster Manual, DM arsenal and scenery. As it's done with upgrades and official development, it will not be needing an overhaul, it works for any setting - although the included campaigns are set firmly in Forgotten Realms - which is a grea CS, for me. But I've also enjoyed Co-DMing in a Star Wars Roleplay Mod adventure, that felt pretty much the way it should, to me. From the sounds of the droids, blasters and lightsabers, to the Mandalorian Armor, Jedi Force Powers, Aliens, Flyable Ships and other cool FX... The d20 Modern kit has expanded a bit since then - and I haven't dug through it all. I'm more of a Fantasy gamer, myself.

Anyways... $10 US, one time fee is a super good deal. I paid over $120, collecting as the new releases came out - and that was just for the first NWN. I still have it all - and still bought the GOG $10 version for the convenience they offer. And I'm glad I did.

Compared to paying a subscription for false promises and a complete revamping of the core rules every few years... it's a huge savings for folks who want a really good D&D experience without all of that. For folks who like collecting D&D books over and over again... this is just fine. I finally got tired of it - but that to nearly a lifetime to happen. I love my collection though.
Just another thought that occurred to me while I was going over this thread.

During the 2000s, I probably spent ten times more hours playing NWN than I did actually playing 3e.

Yeah, that's how good it was.  The majority of my 3E experience was actually in NWN, not tabletop.

I still play NWN to this day.  NWN2 is good too, but at the time it was released it was quite the system hog and still kinda is depending on your computer.  Also, NWN just has tons more free community content than NWN2 does.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Here is a link to popular resources for anyone unfamiliar with where to go to get Neverwinter Nights enhancements and modules. Neverwinter Vault - which is the major source for obtaining official and community made resources for both NWN1 and 2.

Neverwinter Vault:  nwvault.ign.com/

On the left you will find the listings for NWN Files and NWN 2 Files. Open either, and you'll see the main categories. Just so you know, the following terms mean the following things:

Add Content - Upload your own files from portraits to sound files, modules to news or a new hak pak, etc.,

Hall of Fame - Files that have reached a certain number of downloads with a good community rating might make the Hall of Fame! Stuff you find in here is usually really good or at least has a high fan base.

CEP - Community Expansion Project. If you end up playing with an a group online, or using many user-made modules, chances are you'll need to download the latest version of the CEP. Read carefully when determining which files you need to download. FYI - when just playing games, as opposed to creating them, all you need to do is download the files and put them where they belong - which you get used to once you begin using any of the community stuff.

D20 Modern - As it's name implies, this is a whole modification, bringing d20 Modern rules, classes, feats, equipment, settings, etc., and even a few modules into Neverwinter Nights.

HakPaks - Like I've mentioned in the above posts, NWN was designed from the ground up to be altered by anyone who wants to, to form a community of custom creations for anyone who uses NWN to have and enjoy. In doing this, NWN has grown to have a near complete selection of creatures, animals, rules sets, playable classes and much, much more. Hakpak is the term that BioWare (developers) used for a special compressed file that contains new anything for use within the game engine. The CEP is made up of many Hakpaks. Some Modules come with their own, custom Hakpaks. NWN (both) comes with a utility for making Hakpaks.

Models - This is where you find 3d models for use in the game. Most things in hre are game-ready, with all files and instructions necessary to add them to your games. Some can simply replace the originals in the game, others are for adding new elements... the individual descriptions will explain further. Many such model additions, however, are often found under "HakPaks" instead.

Modules - A module is a game made for use in NWN. It could be as simple as a single area or it might be a whole world - or anywhere in between. There are some that are made simple as a room where you can create the ultimate character, buy all the gear you want, and export that PC for selection in any game. Some Persistant World creators have put their worlds up on the Vault for us to use for making our own adventures. Some are entirely incomplete work-in-progress or empty of life regions of important locations. Once you make something in the toolset that you wish to save gets saved as a module.

Scripts  - What you might find in this category is not necessarily as it's name impies - or it might just be exactly that - a script or set of scripts. What many are is a set of scripts that have been put together in a way to create some kind of working system for use within the game. Something that required scripting, and that scripting has now been done for you - all you have to do is to follow the instructions and add them to your game, and make the items available to the players. There is also a NWN Lexicon, containing a wealth of actual scripts, organized by what they are used for. There is also at least two script generators that are capable of writing script code for you. You simply launch a wizard and answer the questions, check the boxes, etc.,
I've used Lilac Soul's script generator quite a bit to make all sorts of things happen. Incredibly valuable tool for a world-builder.

Lilac Soul's Script Generator can be found here:
nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=other.deta...

PrC - nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=hakpaks.De...
Player Resource Consortium is all about the Player Characters. It adds Base classes, Prestige classes and the skills and feats, etc., necessary to bring them to life! Many Many resources have been used to create such an enormous wealth of player selectability at creation and at level up.
I have never tried it, myself. Being from the older 2nd Edition AD&D, I'm more than happy with what NWN gives us out of the box. But if you were into all of those Mongoose supplements or even official  - and liked having certain choices for class, spells, abilities, etc., you may just really groove on this!
Here is an online manual - www.athasreborn.com/prc/manual/
Not the easiest thing to read - but if you're into this kind of thing, maybe you can make heads or tails of it.

CEP - nwvault.ign.com/cep/
This page has a bit of an explanation... but much has been taken for granted - like, that the reader already knows what this is! lol
If you know that you want the latest CEP - nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Hakpaks.De...

Here is a newer NWN Community Site:
www.neverwinternights.info/index.htm

NWN2 Official Trailer
[video=1521957]

I hope this might help someone who might be looking for a really wonderful, online tabletop, realtime D&D experience. Both titles, complete with all official expansions and updates pre-installed are available at GOG:  www.gog.com/   as are the Baldur's Gate I & II, Icewind Dale I & II, Planescape: Torment, Temple of Elemental Evil (and other great titles)

I don't remember having this much fun the first time through the official campaign - wow is this great! It got me to pull my 3rd ed PHB and DMG (amongst a healthy sized pile of others) from their shelves and start skimming through them. Great stuff. Highly recommended for those who may not have used them before.
Also, the versions of games purchased through GOG work with modern computers. Baldur's Gate is a blast to play again! Again, I own all of the discs. I have been replacing them with the downloadable GOG versions for my own convenience, which leaves my beautiful collection of boxed games in the cool shelve case I made for them! Now I await GOG to get the ability to sell the Dragon Age franchise. They have a powerful toolset as well but nothing compares in ease-of-use to the original NWN. It's like painting but you don't have to know how to paint - and the finished product is, at the very least, something you can cruise around in with the character of your choosing! Fun!
Adventure Tools has never evolved past being just a Monster editor. They named it Adventure Tools because they had much higher hopes. What the heck happened to those hopes? Are you tell me that with all of the subscription money and product sales that they can't deliver something... anything?
This escapes me. Especially since they could have been vastly beyond what they have now without it costing them anything more than the internet carrier costs that their - I mean we're already paying for. My opinion... somebody's playing the wrong cards with such a successful company that's backed by a giant like Hasbro. Somebody has deep pockets around here - and that is so unfortunate for them. Happier clients would have taken them so much further than they are - even now - as they try to get us to buy all of our old books again with a new cover.

Neverwinter Nights is an amazing replacement for this sad excuse for what's called "Adventure Tools". Not only can you fire up the creature wizard and create your own, custom monsters, but you can use it to make computer controlled companion NPCs that can converse their knowledge of the land as they explore. They can use their artificial intelligence (without you having to write a single line of code) to have them scout ahead and report back what they see, with a simple kit that you can download here:
nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=scripts.de...
With that easy to install and use kit, you can make companions that can truly become not just an asset, but a true friend to your PCs. With the way NWN comes now - with all of the updates applied already, even those companions can ride horses! Add the CEP 2.4 and you can have them and/or your PCs ride Dogs, Jaguars, Elephants, Raptor, Gorgon, Pegasii, Hipogriff, Gryphon, Wolves, Sharks (under water), and the list continues. Those folks really took the call and answered it!

But that's just one such wizard. NWN has a wizard to help you create items. You would not believe what you can get an item to do. And since it has been added to by the most imaginative minds in the multiverse since the year 2,000 there is an enormous amount of stuff already at your disposal on the Vault - ready for you to download, install and use. Of course in the NWN toolset, you can tweak anything you download to your liking, whether you want to change the rod to cast it's entire seven spell capability twice per day, or assign different limits to each of the spells individually.

My friend made a lot of terrains and terrain enhancements for NWN. He did so for NWN2 to the point where he got his name in the credits of the game!
NWN2 is excellent and has a good toolset that's a lot more finicky and a bit more difficult to pick up on that the first. Higher graphics capabilities certainly has it's cost. Dragon Age's toolset seems even more daunting to me - and it, too, was created to make game design easy on the end user.
The simplicity of the original NWN toolset as it stands now, with all of the updates is completely unbeatable by any piece of D&D game creation software available today.

No... I do not get kick backs from GOG for selling games nor do I have anything to do with them - other than being a very happy customer. You see, if I were to install my original discs onto my netbook, I'd first have to get a usb CD drive and launch all of those disc's through and register to a registration page that no longer exists - all to end up with a game that is not at all updated - except to the best update at the date of launch for the latest expansion.
GOG fixes everything. You double click a single file and it does the rest. Updates all applied and all expansions too.

I went digging around through the dark places of my old office/game room looking for storage discs of some of the NWN stuff I've made and/or collected over those years that I was actively involved and playing in online campaigns - DMing some, playin in others...

I found the "Knight of the New Republic" Star Wars game that I co-DMed. The memories! Nobody starts as a Jedi in that game, but all have the ability to become one throughout the adventure. Luke Skywalker is an NPC and was very well scripted and had a very professionally made conversation. The whole module was specular like that - as it was made by one of the most active, outgoing and looked up to DMs at Neverwinter Connections - a site dedicated to match making Players to DMs and vice versa - now defunked and most people who wanted to cling to it seem to have joined the new Community Site linked to in the above posts. I'll never ever forget the good times we've had... and those can still come for anyone who decides to use these tools!

Cool video I found on YouTube showing the game being played, with a nice vocal commentary:
[video=1521969]

One day fairly soon, I'm going to begin building my new game world - or perhaps dig out my huge DM playground encompassing the entire Comyr region of the Forgotten Realms and get a group together and run at least a few adventures. If they want to, we'll continue the entire campaign. I was planning to release it at the Vault. Perhaps I'll finish my dream of what it was to become and do just that. It was to have a completely scripted adventure - a conversion of "The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar" - which, if memory serves, is nearly complete. A dangerous quest for entry level PCs. From there the DM is supposed to be used to how the DM tools work. You see, the entire product was to be a starter module for new DMs wanting to run adventures, but need a beginning tutorial (or not) and a complete campaign setting to run the adventures in with minimal additional work needed. I have it set up so that no extra work is needed - but instructions (the included DMG) indicate how easily you can change or tweak what's there in addition to the "How to run this Setting as a DM" advice. It was set to be properly scaled so that it would take fairly believable amounts of time to get from one area to the next - if you rode your horse (or walked) straight through. All documented villages, towns and cities are represented along with all of the mapped points of interest within each of these - this is where I am not yet finished - but if I remember right, all of the actual exterior locations are complete and most of their interior counterparts. I just need to fill them with the appropriate life.

You see, the entire Corymr area - which is beautifully vast in the NWN rendition I've made - is breathing with ambient life. You could be camping and a deer could wander into camp. A much more slight chance would have you witness that deer getting attacked by a predator of some sort. A predator that does not see the PCs as something it wants to attack. It'll just go after it's prey and leave - unless the PCs change its mind.

Each village, town and city has cool buildings that the PCs or a single PC can purchase, which automatically turns the interior of that building a persistant area - which uses the default NWN database - with options to change it to another - if you like. PCs can own or rent as many locations as they can afford. They can also acquire cool things to add to their homes or castles or dungeons. They can use these lodgings to store their spoils - rather than having to decide to carry it or lose it. Pretty cool - no, Very cool!

Since it was developed for DMs to use, I made a custom pallet to access things from during gameplay - to make it easy for the DM to get encounters, NPCs, villains or whatever - depending upon the area that the PC are in. Like a whole selection of Zhentarim and the people under them, Purple Dragon Knights, special NPCs and animals and monsters, items...

Many detailed caves that, if you followed them through far enough, you could end up a long way away from where you went in - inspired by Moria. In NWN, some of the Caves and Underdark settings are simply breathtaking to work on - especially when you mount a horse and test it out with the ambient sounds and creatures... lighting and fog... narrow walk with nothing but bottomless pit all around - but this narrow, winding path of stone. Horse shoes on stone echoe through the cavern enhanced by the moist drippings of water falling from the ceiling high overhead to wherever it may hit some great distance below. Oh... some sort of creature just met it's end not too far ahead... better stay on guard!

Many forest roads that have been left untravelled for a long time have since been overgrown in areas, yet the most of it is too compacted and is readily visible. Thhe way they wind and travel up and down through the hills and mountainous region that is central Faerun. A truly amazing environment that has yet to share a single adventure aside from the occasional beta test horseback ride with a few of my online friends - lucky enough to have a copy of my masterpiece in the making.

Come to think of it, long after it's final official update and development has been deemed complete - this would be a beautiful time to complete this work and set it free on the Vault for all to share. The license is such that anything you make for use in NWN must be offered freely if it is to be offered at all - which is very cool, indeed.

My personal opinion is such that I love the lower resolution graphics - as it offers so much more possibilities - and it has. Don't be fooled by that, however, as these lower resolution models and their animations look fantastic during play and otherwise. Fantastic!

Prelude to the tutorial quest in the official campaign:
[video=1521971]
The developer's used Bink video format so that community members would have access to a free movie format utility for creating their own introduction movies. The toolset has robust instruction sets that allow you to also create in game cutscenes using the 3d environments, models and FX. With enough time and patience, you can use this $9.99 investment to create some of the most exciting D&D adventure experiences imaginable.

If you're interested in creating your own Custom Content for Neverwinter Nights, This "Custom Content Guide" is a great way to start:  nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=other.deta...