5/30/2013 TD: "To the Air! A True Modern Master"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
AHH! Elspeth is my No.1 favorite card of all time. SOOOOO glad they gave her the original art!!
Urza is my Shepherd. Planet Multiverse
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
I'd hate to accidentally walk partially into one.
Random Tolarian wizard's last words. ;)
Real life fact: I'm terrified of Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears... and bears that could potentially blink into reality through a time rift.
The three-mana ones have been—or continue to be—Constructed staples.

Didn't Ajani, Caller of the Pride see close to 0 constructed play?

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
"Elspeth, Knight-Errant is a good card."

These articles just teach me new stuff all the time!
I know Elspeth is good, but to be honnest for second best i was going with Liliana or Gideon.

Clearly you have never used her second ability to hit with a flying Tarmogoyf while getting two Exalted triggers from Noble Hierarch and Qasali Pridemage.

And it gives +1 loyalty.

Seriously, Elspeth gives you such insane control over a game. Just insane.
Elspeth is clearly very good, but I also think Liliana of the Veil is overall a stronger card. She's just way too good for a 3 mana card and sees almost as much play as JtMS in legacy, while Elspeth sees no play in that format (as far as I know).

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
She was at the top of Maverick's curve back when that was a deck. Haven't followed the Legacy scene in a long time now, but I could imagine the problem being that she doesn't have anywhere that she fits into. Haven't had the chance to play with Liliana, so I can't speak for her. But the big strength of Elspeth is that both her abilities are +1, so she can just use Angelic Blessing over and over with no downside.
She was at the top of Maverick's curve back when that was a deck. Haven't followed the Legacy scene in a long time now, but I could imagine the problem being that she doesn't have anywhere that she fits into. Haven't had the chance to play with Liliana, so I can't speak for her. But the big strength of Elspeth is that both her abilities are +1, so she can just use Angelic Blessing over and over with no downside.

She has a sprinkling here and there.

UW Miracles uses her alongside Jace,
Bant uses her as a top-end,
Maverick has her in as and alternate win-con,
Esper Stoneblade and Standtill occasionally have her in as a 1- or 2-of,
and I've seen her used in Countertop as well.
Urza is my Shepherd. Planet Multiverse
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
I'd hate to accidentally walk partially into one.
Random Tolarian wizard's last words. ;)
Real life fact: I'm terrified of Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears... and bears that could potentially blink into reality through a time rift.
Sign In to post comments