A Simple Fighter - The Warrior

The Warrior
The warrior is your simple no-frills fighter. It excels at all things combat.

Creating a Warrior
When you create a character whose first class is warrior, you gain these benefits.
  Ability Adjustment: +1 to your Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity score.
  Starting Hit Points: 10 + your Constitution modifier
  Armor and Shield Proficiencies: All armor, shields
  Weapon Proficiencies:All simple and martial weapons

The Warrior
    Attack
    Bonus Class Features
1   +0    Combat Focus (d6)
2   +0
3   +0    Weapon Specialization (+2)
4   +0
5   +0    Deadly Strike (roll twice)
6   +0    Combat Focus (d8)
7   +1
8   +1    Weapon Specialization (+3)
9   +1
10  +1    Deadly Strike (roll three times)
11  +1    Combat Focus (d10)
12  +1
13  +1    Weapon Specialization (+4)
14  +2
15  +2    Deadly Strike (roll four times)
16  +2    Combat Focus (d12)
17  +2
18  +2    Weapon Specialization (+5)
19  +2
20  +2    Deadly Strike (roll five times)

Class Features

A warrior gains the following class features.
  Hit Dice: 1d10 per warrior level
  Hit Points: 1d10 (or 6) + your Constitution modifier per warrior level gained

Level 1: Combat Focus
You have an aptitude for all things related to combat.
  Benefit: You gain a single Combat Focus die. This die starts as a d6 but increases as you gain levels, as noted on the Warrior table. You may roll your combat focus die and add the result to specific d20 rolls you make as follows:
  You may roll you combat focus die and add the result to any attack roll you make using a weapon.
  You may roll your combat focus die and add the result to any saving throw you make.
  You may roll your combat focus die and add the result to any ability check you make that is part of a contest.

Level 3: Weapon Specialization
Your proficiency with weapons is unparalled.
  Benefit: Choose a single type of weapon you are proficient with. You gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls using that weapon. This bonus increases as you gain levels, as noted on the Warrior table.

Level 5: Deadly Strike
You are such a skilled combatant that your attacks deal more grievous wounds to your foes.
  Benefit: Once per turn when you roll damage for a weapon attack, you can roll the weapon’s damage twice and add the results together.
  At higher levels, you can roll the damage even more times: three times starting at 10th level, four times at 15th level, and 5 times at 20th level.

Level 7: Attack Bonus
Your extensive training allows you to strike with deadly accuracy.
  Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to your attack roll when you are using a weapon with which you have proficiency. This bonus increases as you gain levels, as noted on the Warior table.

My 5e Homebrew Material

The Warblade: A Mythic Fighter

The Hero: A Modular Class

You use the second-person pronoun and possessive-pronoun "you/your" without discriminating between the PLAYER ("you may roll your combat focus die...") and the CHARACTER ("You are such a skilled combatant...")

The former is correct.  The latter is precious and about 30% of the reason that some players rejected 4th edition.  I strongly suggest rewording.

They used the format that the Next rules are written in.  Regardless of whether that is "precious", it is stylistically correct to mimic the grammar when attempting to mimic the rules.
You use the second-person pronoun and possessive-pronoun "you/your" without discriminating between the PLAYER ("you may roll your combat focus die...") and the CHARACTER ("You are such a skilled combatant...")

The former is correct.  The latter is precious and about 30% of the reason that some players rejected 4th edition.  I strongly suggest rewording.

I really have no idea what this criticism is about or why it even applies to 4E?

As for the class, I think it's elegant in it's simplicity and sounds like fun class to play if I really don't feel like resource management or having a lot of fiddly bits to keep track of. What might make the class a bit more diverse is allowing you to choose multiple weapons as you gain Weapon Specialization but when you choose that, the increase of damage doesn't increas, sort of like the scaling damage from the v3.5 Ranger's Favored Enemy.

So for example the an 8th level Warrior could have a +3 for Greatswords as their chosen weapon or +2 for Greatswords and Longbows. An 18th level Warrior could have a Weapon Specialization +4 for Battleaxes and a +2 for Javelins.
So, you can apply your combat focus die to every attack roll? So your effective attack bonus starts at +4.5, and rises to +9.5? And a bonus to all saves from 3.5 to 6.5?

This seems unbalanced relative to the rest of the game. Maybe you only get to use it once per combat or something?
I like it.

My Blog which includes my Hobby Award Winning articles.

So, you can apply your combat focus die to every attack roll? So your effective attack bonus starts at +4.5, and rises to +9.5? And a bonus to all saves from 3.5 to 6.5?

This seems unbalanced relative to the rest of the game. Maybe you only get to use it once per combat or something?

I think the idea is to follow the original Fighter in the same vein of Expertise Die. Once you use it you have to take a short rest to regain it or spend your action "regaining" it again. I agree that the recovery mechanic should be added into the description to halt any confusion.

Current 5e fighter has:

+5 to all attack rolls all the time and 6 ed to spend per encounter for +d6 (3.5) attack rolls, AC, damage, or saving throws. The current 5e fighter also has 4/day combat surge, 3 bonus feats, and it has been stated that almost no work has been done on the class past level 10 so we can expect more to come for levels 11-20.

The warrior is slow and steady. And also simple. Anything less than what it currently is would probably put it at a significant disadvantage compared even to the base fighter.

That being said, I might reduce the attack bonus down the that of the druid. (Starts at +0 ends at +2).
I would like the weapon specialization to distinguish weapons (similar to spells and effects), including unarmed attacks or grapple, and then include some type of armor specialization as well including shields. I prefer this over the generic fighter that can apply the same combat dice to a bunch of generic maneuvers like parry, etc. since it ends up all the fighters play the same without any room for multiple fighters at the same table.
Regardless of whether that is "precious",it is stylistically correct to mimic the grammar when attempting to mimic the rules.

Lawolf is not trying to "mimic" the rules, he is attempting to correct them. I am suggesting that he correct their rhetoric at the same time.

Old-timers will look at the new edition and judge its mechanics. New players will make their decisions almost entirely on the basis of presentation. Any oportunity to improve that presentation should be seized upon.
I would actually like wizards too change the base fighter class too warrior and then name subclass. As much as people bitched about warlord, fighter has always been the worst name for the class. Every class has to fight at one point or the other.

These new forums are terrible.

I misspell words on purpose too draw out grammer nazis.

It is simple, it is a warrior mission acomplished.

Now  want to see you simple wizard and simple cleric especialy

On the grammar issue, getting people to identify with their chracters seems a good thing for starting players.
getting people to identify with their chracters seems a good thing for starting players.

That is not accomplished by confusing pronoun referents. The second-person POV always runs the risk of sounding preachy anyway.

And while this is a simpler fighter, it's by no means the simplest. Why go to this halfway point, rather than to one which simply increases the martial damage dice? Or dumps them altogether, and goes for a truly Olde Skewel basic fighter?
Lawolf, as much as I hate you some days, I do appreciate your efforts on this class.  I really do love it.

And I know that we have a lot of divergent views on gaming so the fact you could pull it off is pretty good.   I hope the devs are watching.  

I do though think that if you jack up attributes as your class concept in 5e fighter, you will get close to what you have done.   Having the class layed out for you is probably good for new players though.

My Blog which includes my Hobby Award Winning articles.

Lawolf, pedantic minutae but you forgot to edit the Attack Bonus feature when you changed the table.

*edit* Thanks for fixing it. 
I feel it is good as it allows a Warrior to excel at streight up combat. A warrior should be able to be more efficent at being a bulky attacker then any other class and eventurally level up to the extent that he is able to be practically super human. I like it.
Lawolf, as much as I hate you some days, I do appreciate your efforts on this class.  I really do love it.

And I know that we have a lot of divergent views on gaming so the fact you could pull it off is pretty good.   I hope the devs are watching.  

I do though think that if you jack up attributes as your class concept in 5e fighter, you will get close to what you have done.   Having the class layed out for you is probably good for new players though.

Thanks! I try my best to make various versions of the classes that everyone can enjoy. While this class is  a little too simple for my personal preferences, I certainly wouldn't mind such a class/sublcass existing in the PHB.
A modification.  Even simpler:
The Warrior

The warrior is a fighter. It excels at all things combat.

Creating a Warrior
A warrior gain these benefits.
  Ability Adjustment: +1 to Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity score.
  Starting Hit Points: 10 + Constitution modifier
  Armor and Shield Proficiencies: All armor, shields
  Weapon Proficiencies:All simple and martial weapons

The Warrior
    Attack Bonus
Levels 1-6, +0
Levels 7-13, +1
Levels 14-20, +2

Class Features
A warrior gains the following class features.
  Hit Dice: 1d10 per warrior level
  Hit Points: 1d10 (or 6) + Constitution modifier per warrior level gained
  Combat Focus:  a first level warrior gains a single Combat Focus die. This die starts as a d6 but increases as the warrior gains levels, as noted on the Warrior table. You may roll your combat focus die and add the result to specific d20 rolls you make as follows:
  You may roll you combat focus die and add the result to any attack roll made using a weapon.
  You may roll your combat focus die and add the result to any saving throw.
  You may roll your combat focus die and add the result to any ability check made as part of a contest.

Aaaaaaand, scene.

Sign In to post comments