Human Paladin/Warlock Hybrid

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is my first hybrid, first time using a Paladin or a Warlock, and first time on the CharOp board; please go easy on me!

So I've been reading from forum to forum, and have seen a lot of hybrids (most Tieflings) and I want to make a human one myelf, starting from level 1. There seems to be so many varying opinions on this hybrid, so I wanted to know from those of you who personally know how this class works. But I have 4 major questions:

1.  How should I set my stats? Obviously I should get Cha high, but everything else I've seen seems to vary. Some people put Int at 14, or Con at 16, and some people drop Int Str down to 8 to boost up Dex to get Assassin Multiclass features. I'm not sure what direction I should be heading

There seems to be two major approaches to Lockadins: Hellish Rebuke/Divine Challenge and Eyebite/Challenge. From what I understand, the Rebuke combo doesn't slow in-game combat as much as the Eyebite combo does, but also outputs less damage. Which is better?

3. I've seen many people multiclass into other things for an added spice of ability, like going into Assassin for Acolyte of the Veil and Cursed Shadow, and have seen some people also go into Swordmage. Is it worth multiclassing, or do people just add it in for a little bit of extra fun? What classes are worth multiclassing with a Lockadin and for what abilities?

4. In the higher levels of these builds, many people mention the use of an implement. What is the use of implements in this hybrid? Is there a way that I can make my character use a long blade as an implement? I've seen some people use Rapiers Proficiency and use pactblade rapiers, but I personally like longblades better (for fluff reasons, so this can be changed). 

If you would like me to post any of the builds I was looking at for reference, just let me know, and I'll post them (with credit to the originals of course).
It's usually easier to use your holy symbol for impliment attacks.
Consider taking a basic warlock attack like Eldritch Bolt or Strike if you have a Warlord or other attack granting leader. 
Good call, Eldritch Strike is looking pretty nice! And you actually answered another question that I forgot to ask: "Where does Holy Symbol come into play?" Foot in Mouth

I've also noticed that many people use Virtuous Strike,  even though Ardent Strike seems so good. Why is that?

So basically, I have to decide between Choice 1 or Choice 2 for my 3 at wills:

L1 At Will - Eldritch Strike or Eldritch Bolt
L1 At Will - Ardent Strike or Virtuous Strike
L1 At Will - Hellish Rebuke or Eyebite

and of course, my other questions still stand 
I think the role that Paladin|Warlock excels at is being a defender with some strong control and even a bit of leadership, but I've only seen that at paragon...

For heroic, I think you want to decide what sort of role you are wanting to play, more range control/striking or more melee striking/defending.

For range, I'm not fond of Eyebite builds. They are mainly just annoying, maybe fun for the player, but doesn't help the party as much. Hellish Rebuke/Dire Radiance builds can work okay, I find Dire Radiance a little more interesting, and prefer it since it can work off Charisma. Either way you need a pretty tactical group to get the best bang out of the build.

If you want melee, Eldritch Strike gives you a pretty strong melee basic attack. Early on, your typical schtick would be Curse, DC, Charge with Eldritch Strike, or move, curse, charge with Ardent Strike.

This all depends on what else you have in your party too. With an MBA granter (Warlord, Bbard, Shaman), Eldritch strike looks much more attractive, but with something like a Runepriest that hands out damage bonuses or inflict vulnerabilities, multiple damage instances from Hellish Rebuke/Dire Radiance be more beneficial.

If you go with Eldritch Strike, you want Ardent Strike as your paladin at-will, if you go with Hellish Rebuke/Dire Radiance, you want Virtuous Strike as your paladin at-will.

I've also noticed that many people use Virtuous Strike,  even though Ardent Strike seems so good. Why is that?

Virtuous Strike can be used as a melee basic attack.  This means that you can use it whenever you are allowed to take a melee basic attack as well as getting all the benefits of any items or feats that benefit a melee basic attack.  Mainly on opportunity attacks or granted attacks from leaders.

Ardent strike is very good but it is NOT a melee basic attack even if you can use it on a charge.   
there's really no reason not to take eldritch strike with a human, so the basic attack aspect would be covered in this case
Alright, then Dire Radiance, Virtuous Strike, and Eldritch Strike it is! And I decided to go with Valorous Smite as my Encounter power.

So I have 1 ranged attack and 3 melee based powers, which leads to my next question!
Crown of Stars or Majestic Halo for my Daily? I've seen a couple of people use Majestic Halo, but I've heard that Crown of Stars is really good because it's a minor sustain, and it's just underrated. What's your guys' verdict
Both Virtuous Strike and Eldritch Strike are overkill; both function as Melee Basic Attacks and let you keep your Strength nice and low.  Virtuous Strike is pretty decent, but I'd say Eldritch Strike is the clear winner of the two, particularly in mid-late levels if you build to take advantage of sliding.  I'd drop Virtuous for Ardent; having a backup sanction could be nice.
Agree, no need for two MBA's. If you're going for the third human at-will (which I wouldn't), Dire Radiance, Eldritch Strike, Ardent Strike will serve you fine at low levels.

Crown of Stars is a pretty sucky power. You want to hit a bloodied target so you can blind them, but then, the target is blinded and... probably dead.

I'm sure many will raz me for it, but I like to have an AoE. Star Shackles, Armor of Winter's Grasp, Decree of Khirad, or Frost of Latherna each offer different interesting aspects.
Alright, then Dire Radiance, Virtuous Strike, and Eldritch Strike it is! And I decided to go with Valorous Smite as my Encounter power.

So I have 1 ranged attack and 3 melee based powers, which leads to my next question!
Crown of Stars or Majestic Halo for my Daily? I've seen a couple of people use Majestic Halo, but I've heard that Crown of Stars is really good because it's a minor sustain, and it's just underrated. What's your guys' verdict

No, not Crown of Stars. Majestic Halo is pretty nice, but Decree of Khirad just kills (and happens to be a CB). Tough call.
Mengu, do you think Heroic Effort is the better choice of the two? If so, should I be using Eldritch Strike, Ardent Strike, and Valorous Smite? Or does that limit me too much to melee?

And I also prefer some kind of AoE power for my daily, so would Decree of Khirad be my best option?

Also, if anyone knows of any good human paladin/warlock builds, please link them Laughing 
Dire Radiance is the best heroic-tier at-will choice. Retrain into ES when you hit 11 and can take twofold pact into Star.

And I also prefer some kind of AoE power for my daily, so would Decree of Khirad be my best option?

Decree of Khirad just kills

It's not what you might suppose to be an "AoE" power, since it doesn't spread damage in an AoE, it's more like a focus fire power disguised as an AoE.
It's sort of up to you.  Decree is pretty damn awesome in that you can focus if you want, or spread around some damage if you want.  Hit a bunch of dudes (vs. Will is niiiiice), slide them into a clump, then have them all attack the same poor sod in the center.  Hell, even if those attacks miss, the attacker takes damage.  It's damage all around!

Plus, friendly blasts are best blasts.

I'm not saying it's your best choice, but it is a damn good one. 
I prefer Heroic Effort because I hate missing. Commiting to melee isn't necessarily bad. Having a ranged option is good too. There isn't a single right answer here, both options are viable. If I were you, I'd want to know what all your party has, before making a decision. If you won't know who will be in your party, or have different people you play each time or something, I'd lean toward having a ranged option on any character. At low levels when you're lacking tools like flight and teleportation, having that range is handy.
Alright, thanks for the advice! I switched to Heroic Effort and switched my powers to Dire Radiance for range and Virtuous strike for MBA, and am also gunna use Decree of Khirad because the potential seems AMAZING. 

So what do you guys think of multiclassing? Do you think it isn't worth it with this type of built, or is there some potential? If I multiclass Assassin, I'll be able to get either Acolyte of the Veil or Shadow Initiate, which will allow for me to go for Cursed Shadows later to get back the Warlock's Shadow Walk. How does that sound?
Well, multiclassing is always a decent choice for everyone; it's really a matter of if you need the feat slots for something else more.

Multiclass Assassin for Cursed Shadows is definitely not a bad choice, particularly if you build for it.  Especially since as a Pally/Warlock, you'll have ranged options so you'll actually be alright moving around each turn to get that concealment.  The real question is, what are you using the concealment for?  On it's own, as a decent Defense booster, it's not half bad, but there may be better options. 
Well to be completely honest, I mostly like the idea because I think it sounds cool Tongue Out Think about it! I'm part spellcaster, part warrior, and part stealthy assassin! I'm like a character straight out of Skyrim!

But putting the fun & fluff aside, I like the idea of using ki focuses to use my blade for my warlock powers; if I was to take the Level 2 Utility power 'Bless Weapon', I'd be able to use my blade for Warlock attacks and still get the bonus (I know this interpretation is a little sketchy, but my DM said it was fine, so I'm rolling with it! ) So I get the ability to teleport once per encounter, the ability to use my sword for warlock powers, AND regain Shadow Walk for just having 13 Dex and a couple feats? Sounds like a sweet deal! It'll probably be what I'll end up doing, albeit I don't know what I'd use my concealment for just yet, other than getting combat advantage for my strongest melee abilities.

But I am more than open to other options! Are there other multiclasses that I should be considering?
You want Decree of Khirad because it's hilarious to pair it up with a mass Sanction/Challenge power, and then cluster everyone up for your controller's next turn.

Grab Touch of Command at 7, you'll be able to use it every encounter.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
I'll definitely keep that in mind when I hit level 7 Cool

What do you guys think of my initial pact? I was thinking I'd start with the Sorcerer-King pact so I can have access to the Mindbite Scorn feat for extra curse damage. But I see a LOT of people go for the Star pact as their initial, and I don't know why. What do you guys recommend?
Yes, start SKW. Star is normally what you'd pick at 11.
If you are a human Warlock|Paladin I recommend taking sorcerer-king, having 2d10 curse damage at level 1 is pretty nice. XD

Nice, that's what I was thinking! I'll probably take Mindbite Scorn as my Level 2 feat, and Crimson Fire as my Level 4; I'll take Hybrid Talent (for Paladin Armor Proficiency) and Acolyte of the Veil (for fluff and fun) as my Level 1 feats. 

Now how should I set my stats? As a human, I get a +2 to any chosen ability score. Based off my current attacks and such, it looks like I'll be primarily Charisma based, and in order to multiclass assasin I also need 13 Dex. Currently, I have my stats set to
STR: 10
CON: 14
DEX: 13
INT: 10
WIS: 13
CHA: 18 (16 +2 racial bonus)

Is this a good set up? If not, what should I change? Maybe take some away from Wis in order to give me a higher Con? It doesn't seem like Int is that important for me, at least not yet anyways. Recomendations?
So this is how I have the build set up for this guy! Like I mentioned, he's a Hybrid Paladin/Warlock Multiclass Assassin

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Aranion, level 1
Human, Paladin/Warlock
Hybrid Paladin Option: Hybrid Paladin Reflex
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Sorcerer-King Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Hybrid Talent Option: Paladin Armor Proficiency
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)
Theme: Scholar

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 14, DEX 13, INT 10, WIS 13, CHA 18

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 14, DEX 13, INT 10, WIS 13, CHA 16

AC: 20 Fort: 13 Ref: 16 Will: 15
HP: 31 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Insight +6, Intimidate +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +0, Athletics –4, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance –2, Heal +1, History +0, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion +0, Stealth –3, Streetwise +4, Thievery –3

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Scholar Utility: Use Vulnerability
Assassin Feature: Shadow Step
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Paladin Feature: Divine Challenge
Warlock's Curse Power: Warlock's Curse
Paladin Attack 1: Virtuous Strike
Warlock Attack 1: Dire Radiance
Paladin Attack 1: Valorous Smite
Warlock Attack 1: Decree of Khirad

FEATS
Level 1: Acolyte of the Veil
Level 1: Hybrid Talent

ITEMS
Plate Armor x1
Longsword x1
Heavy Shield x1
Adventurer's Kit
Ki Focus
====== End ======

I plan to get Bless Weapon as my L2 Utility and use it's abilities with both my warlock and paladin powers, due to ki focuses. I also plan to get Mindbite Scorn as my 2nd level Feat, and am going for Crimson Fire as my 4th level feat to maximize curse damage. Other than that, I haven't had much planned in terms of the future, but I feel like I have a good foundation now to start with thanks to you guys! I'll probably be back to post more questions as a level, but if you guys have any recomendations for the future, feel free to make them!