Against the Slave Lords Excerpts: A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Against the Slave Lords Excerpts
A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity

By 
D&D Team

Recently, the slavers' attacks have become more frequent and vicious. Believing their prey to be weak and helpless, the raiders have burnt entire villages and pulled down the walls of towns. Women, children, and whole families have disappeared; and though bribes are accepted, the agreements are ignored. Vast tracts of coastline have been reduced to ashes, left barren except for packs of wild dogs.

Talk about this excerpt here.

I found the forward an interesting choice. "It was in a previous GEN CON Game Fair that we had heard murmurs that the AD&D tournament needed some work. We hadn’t realized until then how much the tournament could be, should be, a showcase event. "

I think the same could be argued today. The Open hasn't been a showcase event. A few years ago the winners were promised to be named/crowned on the web site and that never happened. The Open seemed to be almost forgotten this year. De-emphasis in year past has given way to competing groups and competitions at Gen Con.

Really, we should learn from history. The Open should be a top experience for gamers and should be of high enough quality to become a classic adventure.

One last point: The Origins II tournament in 1976 was Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. It is pretty darn cool that this year's Origins will once again feature Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, converted to D&D next. At the same time, how cool would it have been if instead it added a new level to the classic adventure?

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Sign In to post comments