Striker help?

90 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been playing DnD 4e for about a month now, and since I was the last to join the campaign I was basically handed a halfling ranger sheet by the DM with all the skills and stats pre-picked for me. I'm the only striker in the party and well, I'm not that much of a striker, and the lackluster skills bore me a little (twin strike, twin strike, twin strike). I've been given the chance to create my own character, and all I know is that I'd like her to be an Eladrin or half-eladrin, and she has to be a striker. I'm seriously no good at figuring out which class is right, so could someone please build me something nice at lvl 11 paragon tier and I'll just put it on my sheet? I really want to do amazing damage and actually be useful during our encounters apart from "I use twin strike on my quarry, twang twang, and I've missed on both rolls!". Oh and if it helps, I have about 9k gold to buy items, but not anytime soon according to the DM. I know I'm being really vague, but yeah...I'd really appreciate the help. Most of the guys aren't that helpful and just turn their noses up at me, so by this saturday I really want to come out with something awesome and turn the tables a bit. But I'm getting totally overwhelmed by all the options and possibilities...please help Embarassed
The only Striker I can think of that is complementary to Eladrin's ability bonuses is a Charisma based Warlock of some kind. Eladrin don't usually fit the striker mold, although I think I saw an interesting Barbarian build that was an Eladrin floating around somewhere.
Generally speaking, you are going to get a much better response on these boards if you have even a general build to start from, rather than "make me a character". Take some time to look around the board at other builds people have posted and get an idea of what you'd like to play. The "The Complete Collection of Character Build Links" post is a good place to start. 

Also, there is no such thing as a half-Eladrin. 
Generally speaking, you are going to get a much better response on these boards if you have even a general build to start from, rather than "make me a character". Take some time to look around the board at other builds people have posted and get an idea of what you'd like to play. The "The Complete Collection of Character Build Links" post is a good place to start. 

Also, there is no such thing as a half-Eladrin. 




I'm sorry. I'm really sorry but I'm going through the guides and halfway through I get pretty lost. I've been looking through this board for a month now, I've built myself a Genasi Swordmage I'm somewhat pleased about, however the DM told me that the party needed a striker and that was pretty much tossed out of the window and kept for side-campaigns. So now I'm at a complete and utter loss as to what to do for the main one. I have a backstory and entry point ready for an eladrin character, I know I want to be a striker, but that's about it. And with regards to the half-eladrin, I read about it in some wiki, without a doubt I've run into some homebrew again. Foot in Mouth

It sounds like you'd be best off with a new level 1 game, so you can ease yourself in and learn the rules and such as you go.  Being thrown into a paragon campaign isn't exactly ideal.  You can learn, of course, but the best way to learn is to try to understand as much as you can on your own, and then learn from your mistakes, for example by building your own character and seeing what works and what doesn't.

If you really want someone to build a level 11 striker for you, I suggest the halfling thief hosted on the Living Forgotten Realms site.  It's not an eladrin, but it's a decent striker.  You'll still need to figure out how to play it, for example by learning about combat advantage, but it's a start.
Oh and if it helps, I have about 9k gold to buy items, but not anytime soon according to the DM.

Two problems with that.

1) It's way too low. According to the DM guide, a level 11 character should get the equivalent of 32,000 gp for equipment. Them's the rules.

2) The idea that you got to level 11 without any gear whatsoever makes no sense. I'd use this one if your DM is all big on roleplay.

To put it plainly, you can't do your job adequately with what he's giving you, and making you slog though a few fights before you can buy a thing is just straight up bad DMing.


As for build advice, here's a link to a bunch of striker builds. Maybe you can find one here you like.
Oh and if it helps, I have about 9k gold to buy items, but not anytime soon according to the DM.

Two problems with that.

1) It's way too low. According to the DM guide, a level 11 character should get the equivalent of 32,000 gp for equipment. Them's the rules.

2) The idea that you got to level 11 without any gear whatsoever makes no sense. I'd use this one if your DM is all big on roleplay.

To put it plainly, you can't do your job adequately with what he's giving you, and making you slog though a few fights before you can buy a thing is just straight up bad DMing.


As for build advice, here's a link to a bunch of striker builds. Maybe you can find one here you like.

It has been a long while since we got any loot, the character with the highest gold only has about 13k gold. We just don't generally run into an enchanter or anything like that to get gear, and loot just never really happens or someone else takes it all. It's sorta first come first serve and I just never got to yell it out first. 




It sounds like you'd be best off with a new level 1 game, so you can ease yourself in and learn the rules and such as you go. Being thrown into a paragon campaign isn't exactly ideal. You can learn, of course, but the best way to learn is to try to understand as much as you can on your own, and then learn from your mistakes, for example by building your own character and seeing what works and what doesn't.

If you really want someone to build a level 11 striker for you, I suggest the halfling thief hosted on the Living Forgotten Realms site. It's not an eladrin, but it's a decent striker. You'll still need to figure out how to play it, for example by learning about combat advantage, but it's a start.




I have been around since lvl 1, just had to use a pre-made character sheet by the DM. I've tried to optimize the ranger, however the Elven Druid, Warlord and Dwarven Fighter consistently outdamage me, and while everyone seems to have such flavorful and interesting abilities, I'm stuck with perpetual 'twin strike'.  Thing is, our campaign has taken us to the feywilds and if it's not a fey creature then I would have to wait another month or two to introduce another character. Eladrin just seemed like the best choice. 



Is there really nobody willing to just simply listen to my request and have a jab at building an Eladrin striker? At least tell me what classes I could go for and so forth. I really like DnD but so far its nothing but brick wall after brick wall. 


1) Can you please post the current ranger build?  Even with constant twin strikes, you should be outdamaging the Druid, at the very least.

2) There are plenty of other fey.  Pixies, for example, which would be good with Dex and/or Cha based strikers.  But yes, as others have pointed out- your DM sounds like they're giving out way too little loot.  On average, with a party of 4, at least 3 characters should be getting items each level (all over those above your level), plus a sizable amount of gold. See this table for details.
So your group doesn't share gold. Explain that they need to. Do you use the inherent bonus system or is your DM crippling you?

I have no idea how you find Fighter powers somehow mmore flavorful than Ranger powers, seeing how they are both martial and refluffing is heavily encouraged. Also, what Druid is this that he can outdamage you?

If your DM won't inteoduce non-fey player characters while the other PCs are in the Feywild find a new DM. There is no justification for why you should have to wait for months just because the two you can't figure out a reason for  an arbitrary race to show up and join the group. 

 Since you want to be able to do "amazing damage", the best way is to ssimply understand the class yourself and build accordingly. There really isn't a point in handing you a build to play if you don't know what to do with it. Pick a class that sounds good to you, find the handbook for it, pick sky blue stuff, post it for critique, listen to the feedback you get and adjust accordingly. In the end, say your character of whatever race grew up in the Feywild. Done.
Starting at 11, you can look at Half Elf and just refluff it as Half Eladrin.  Grab a good MBA with Dilettante and go to town.

Another option is an Eladrin Rogue.  The Intelligence boost is largely wasted, but Rogues can do just fine on a 20 Dex and less investment in secondaries.  You'll probably find Rogue to be more interesting in terms of what you're doing on any given turn, and with the minor action attacks available, you'll be putting out decent damage.

Or an Eladrin Sorcerer going for Charisma/Dexterity.  Sarifal Feywarden for the theme, Flame Spiral, and you're well on your way even with slightly off secondary stats.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.
 

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
The damage difference between striker and non-striker diminishes quite significantly (to potentially nothing) when the non-striker has gear, and the striker does not. 4e is a rather magic item dependent system. It's possible to mess with the economy, but your DM needs to know what they are doing.

If your ranger isn't doing amazing damage, then either it's poorly built, or your DM is doing it wrong.

It might be best if you show us what your Ranger looks like and we'll give you advice on how to make it better.

If you're set on a new character, for Eladrin, you can take any Dex striker and make it work, Scout, Thief, Rogue, Monk are all viable. Even some odd-ball options can be made to work, like hybrid Swordmage|Warlock that performs as striker via catch 22's. If you have access to other fey races, you should also consider Pixie though, since they make pretty good strikers.
1) Can you please post the current ranger build?  Even with constant twin strikes, you should be outdamaging the Druid, at the very least.

2) There are plenty of other fey.  Pixies, for example, which would be good with Dex and/or Cha based strikers.  But yes, as others have pointed out- your DM sounds like they're giving out way too little loot.  On average, with a party of 4, at least 3 characters should be getting items each level (all over those above your level), plus a sizable amount of gold. See this tablefor details.


I'm not because I'm not in any way interested in that character. In fact, I actually detest it to the point where I fantasize about tearing the character sheet to shreds and it cost me all my willpower not to do that during the campaigns.  With our party of 5 we should all have way more loot, but what I'm concerned about is actually making a character that isn't that stupid halfling that everyone calls the Took due to sheer uselessness. Loot has been mentioned but every time it goes along the lines of 'I'll work out something later' so nothing happens essentially, or we end up with scrap swords and trash, the stuff you'd npc for nothing in an mmo. 



So your group doesn't share gold. Explain that they need to. Do you use the inherent bonus system or is your DM crippling you?

I have no idea how you find Fighter powers somehow mmore flavorful than Ranger powers, seeing how they are both martial and refluffing is heavily encouraged. Also, what Druid is this that he can outdamage you?

If your DM won't inteoduce non-fey player characters while the other PCs are in the Feywild find a new DM. There is no justification for why you should have to wait for months just because the two you can't figure out a reason for  an arbitrary race to show up and join the group. 


 Since you want to be able to do "amazing damage", the best way is to ssimply understand the class yourself and build accordingly. There really isn't a point in handing you a build to play if you don't know what to do with it. Pick a class that sounds good to you, find the handbook for it, pick sky blue stuff, post it for critique, listen to the feedback you get and adjust accordingly. In the end, say your character of whatever race grew up in the Feywild. Done.



As stated before, there is nothing to share. In that sense, we're all crippled. I'm not going to dispute that, because nobody else has and in my case it would come across pretty pathetically. 



I just really hate the ranger and how useless and weak it is compared to the party. Everyone is fulfilling a role, doing something. Me? Twang twang miss miss, next person have your incredibly eventful turn while I just keep standing in this corner. I have no idea what kind of Druid he is, but he is outdamaging me. Everyone, I repeat, everyone is outdamaging me. My highest damage has been 16 minus quarry dmg. Using dailies? How about wasting dailies. I get frustrated just thinking about it. 



Oh great. The same poop as usual. 'If you dont do it yourself you wont ever learn'. I find it incredibly patronizing that you think I haven't been looking for a suitable build. I find it patronizing that you think I didn't try to salvage the piece of crap character my DM handed me. I'm not here to get a lecture on how to learn DnD and what my DM is doing wrong. I'm trying to get a character, something, just ANYTHING to work with. Give me a character, and without my DM interfering, I'll sit down and look for ways to improve it, come up with strategies and plan out its skills ahead. Don't give me a character, and I'm left basically either quitting and looking like a complete idiot and baby, or just sitting there, in the corner, twin striking and missing. 



Starting at 11, you can look at Half Elf and just refluff it as Half Eladrin.  Grab a good MBA with Dilettante and go to town.

Another option is an Eladrin Rogue.  The Intelligence boost is largely wasted, but Rogues can do just fine on a 20 Dex and less investment in secondaries.  You'll probably find Rogue to be more interesting in terms of what you're doing on any given turn, and with the minor action attacks available, you'll be putting out decent damage.

Or an Eladrin Sorcerer going for Charisma/Dexterity.  Sarifal Feywarden for the theme, Flame Spiral, and you're well on your way even with slightly off secondary stats.


MBA? Dilettante? 



What about Eladrin Swordmage with Warlock multiclass? Or just Eladrin Hexblade? 


I don't think anyone in the campaign is doing themes, so I'm not sure the DM will allow it. But again, you might as well be speaking spanish because those things mean absolutely nothing to me. 

The damage difference between striker and non-striker diminishes quite significantly (to potentially nothing) when the non-striker has gear, and the striker does not. 4e is a rather magic item dependent system. It's possible to mess with the economy, but your DM needs to know what they are doing.

If your ranger isn't doing amazing damage, then either it's poorly built, or your DM is doing it wrong.

It might be best if you show us what your Ranger looks like and we'll give you advice on how to make it better.

If you're set on a new character, for Eladrin, you can take any Dex striker and make it work, Scout, Thief, Rogue, Monk are all viable. Even some odd-ball options can be made to work, like hybrid Swordmage|Warlock that performs as striker via catch 22's. If you have access to other fey races, you should also consider Pixie though, since they make pretty good strikers.

What is amazing damage? The highest I typically hit is 16, I think at one single point I managed to land 30, but that was a one-off thing since I boosted myself with certain potions. Just the other day the Druid dealt 70-ish damage, and the other guys don't deal anything under 20, ever.  But as said, I can't stand the sight of that ranger, so please, lets drop it. Off a cliff. Into lava. Lava with some spiky, bladed, acidy creepy crawlies in it.



Pixie wouldn't be all that bad perhaps, would the hybrid Swordmage/Warlock work on that too? Could someone please build a viable Swordmage/Warlock? I've made a Swordmage Genasi which has been significantly more successful in the other campaign however I don't know a thing about multiclassing and it took me weeks to build the genasi since I had to buy dragon magazines and stuff. Right now, I don't have the time to work at my snails pace, especially since I'm working/studying and the only free time I have will the the session, where I'm expected to present the new character or be forever silent. 

The highest I typically hit is 16, I think at one single point I managed to land 30, but that was a one-off thing since I boosted myself with certain potions.


I'm sorry that I can't help you by posting a build (I am a newbie), but PLEASE post that Ranger build that was forced on you. Level *1* Rangers do more than 16 damage frequently. 


Are you resistant to playing ranger because you don't like Twin Strike, or you've had such a horrible experience so far? Or both?


Are you willing to change your race requirements or can you refluff?

Play this:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Refluff as an Eladrin if needed. Just say you've been cursed or you aren't into bathing or something.

 There, I gave you a fed-race striker that can deal amazing damage, yet is doomed to fail because not only will you be clueless about how to play it properly, but your DM is also unable to present you with the bare minimum of magic items. But at least you now have a build despite your continued refusal to put even a token effort into giving us something to work with.

Now that this is solved, does someone want to build a SwordmageClericShaman DefenderControllerStrikerLeader for me?
Oh great. The same poop as usual. 'If you dont do it yourself you wont ever learn'. I find it incredibly patronizing that you think I haven't been looking for a suitable build. I find it patronizing that you think I didn't try to salvage the piece of crap character my DM handed me. I'm not here to get a lecture on how to learn DnD and what my DM is doing wrong. I'm trying to get a character, something, just ANYTHING to work with. Give me a character, and without my DM interfering, I'll sit down and look for ways to improve it, come up with strategies and plan out its skills ahead. Don't give me a character, and I'm left basically either quitting and looking like a complete idiot and baby, or just sitting there, in the corner, twin striking and missing. 


FAIL

Seriously, this is maybe the worst post I have ever read.
You are playing a Ranger, the best striker in the game.
If you are out damaged then YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.
Thus the proposal to go through your current build and help you improve it.

Instead you demand a  pre-made character and claim that you know how to improve it. Well obviously you don't.
What is amazing damage? The highest I typically hit is 16, I think at one single point I managed to land 30, but that was a one-off thing since I boosted myself with certain potions. Just the other day the Druid dealt 70-ish damage, and the other guys don't deal anything under 20, ever.  

On an action point turn you should be taking about 5-6 shots, and crushing that 70, particularly with a leader bonus. Around level 12, I see the typical quarry+twin strike dealing 40-50 damage, off-turn attacks dealing about 25-30 damage, and novas dealing 100+ damage.

But as said, I can't stand the sight of that ranger, so please, lets drop it. Off a cliff. Into lava. Lava with some spiky, bladed, acidy creepy crawlies in it.

No, we won't drop it because unless you understand why Ranger is a great striker, you will not be able to make another striker work. It is the easiest striker to grasp. You do great damage because you make multiple attacks on your turn, have non-standard attacks, have decent accuracy, not to mention you are the best target for leader buffs due to your multiple attacks. My recommendation remains the same. Keep your ranger, post it here, get some feedback, figure out how it works. Once you do, any striker builds on the same principles that you learn from the ranger.
...
What is amazing damage? The highest I typically hit is 16, I think at one single point I managed to land 30, but that was a one-off thing since I boosted myself with certain potions. Just the other day the Druid dealt 70-ish damage, and the other guys don't deal anything under 20, ever...



Well, dealing 20 damage around paragon tier isn't too difficult, but as a Ranger you definitively should be dealing more than 16 damage a round, that's a pretty low maximum for any class at paragon. Also, 70 damage in a normal turn seems a bit high for a Druid but isn't impossible.

If you won't be happy playing a ranger, then don't play a ranger, you shouldn't ever play a character that makes you unhappy.  That being said, a little information about the existing party and what the other characters do during an encounter might be useful, just to make sure that there's good synergy.

Also, it'd be helpful if you could narrow down if you'd want a weapon/caster/ranged/melee style of character as well.
I think that - you will have to choose.  Do you play DnD 4th edition, or do you play what ever the heck it is your DM thinks he is running.  CharOp can not help you with the latter, nor with your general attitude to what help has been attempted aready.

Most important thing to remember.  Games are for fun.  To me, this sounds a lot like you are not having fun. 
@Sylmerry:

I think it is pretty obvious that you're not the only one that doesn't know the rules in your group. Splitting gold, refusing to hand out items, your DM not reacting to the fact that your character is crippled. All this gave me chills...
If your DM would just have the slightest grasp of the system he would realize that there's something absolutely wrong at his table, if a Druid is able to outdamage a Ranger. Even more in Paragon!
It's HIS job to help you, the new player, to understand the rules and therefore being able to refine and enjoy your character. I mean, you HAVE TO do something wrong by rules, if you deal that low damage. So the question is: Why isn't anyone of the others wondering about or discussing it? My guess is, that it's just a totally clueless and ignorantly cheating group in total and you should really find another group to play with.
By the way, handing you out a high op'd build (the Swordmage|Warlock Mengu mentioned, for example, which would even fit your favored racial choice) would be totally counter-productive. I know, the metaphor is getting old, but imagine a newborn chimp driving a race car. That just doesn't work, since those builds are yet too complicated for you. You need a simple build and the only essential striker that can do OK damage in Paragon, without having to power-swap and doing other complicated stuff, is the Scout. I suggest you to play him for another 1-2 months, continue reading the class guides, eventually beginning to read the stuff here (community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/7588...), since all the recent builds and tweaks are discussed here (most of the class guides being old and partly really outdated). After that you're possibly already able to understand a more complicated, more optimized build.
This is the moment when you actually should start playing such builds. It's much more fun to play a game, if you know the rules and you KNOW you're not unwittingly cheating or disadvantaging yourself. You will know what your build can do and WHY he can do it and you can even represent this in your group.
I have to agree with the other posters here. If you're not making a Ranger work, other classes are not going to help you, no matter how frustrated you are. Some things to look at for your Halfling:
Do you have Bow Expertise?
Do you have a magic bow? Preferably a Frost Bow. Do you have Bracers of Archery(6th level magic item)?
Do you have a Combat Advantage feat? Wintertouched is strong assuming you have a Frost Bow and Lasting Frost.
Do you have a starting Dex of 20 and have you always leveled it? At 11th level, your Halfling ought to have a 23 Dex.
Do you have Lasting Frost and Icy Heart? Are you taking Called Shot at 12th?

So at 11th level, assuming you have a +1 Frostbow(...), you should have the following to-hit:
+2 bow prof, +5 level, +1 enh, +6 Dex, +2 Combat Advantage after first hit, +2 bow expertise feat, prime shot(+19 to hit) - i.e. you should be hitting an 11th level creature on a 6, or 75% of the time. And that's terrible because you should have a +2 Frost bow.
and do the following damage with Twin Strike:
+3 icy heart feat, +1 enh, +5 lasting frost after first hit, +2 from Bow Expertise, +2 from Bracers of Archery. That's +12 damage right there on a 1d8 weapon. Or in other words, an average damage of 2d8+24+2d6(quarry) or 40 damage on average if you hit twice with Twin Strike, which ought to happen 50% of the time. Again, terrible, because you ought to have Frost Gloves, a +2 Frost Bow, and be an Elf with a Greatbow who has MC'd into Rogue for Snap Shot, so you can do an extra minor action attack and do  sneak attack on round one of combat.
First and foremost, you should stop rejecting what assistance you are receiving.  You haven't played the game very long, you were thrust into a campaign apparently not made for new players, and your word choice in responses paints you as a young, frustrated player.  It's easy to become frustrated, especially when the other players and the DM are of no help and you're trying to jump into a higher-level character with a DM that doesn't understand the rules.

You clearly have very little understanding of game mechanics, yourself, as evidenced in statements like this:
MBA? Dilettante? ...  But again, you might as well be speaking spanish because those things mean absolutely nothing to me.



There are great builds to pick up, but if you don't know why things work then how would you use them on the table?  The paragon tier is when character building really opens up.  Most of the feat taxes are out of the way, paragon paths open new options and combinations, and feats become even more game-altering.  We don't know how much of the game you do understand, but apparently it's not much.

Loot bonuses are necessary to the game's mechanics, so playing ANY striker without appropriately-leveled gear leads to sad times as you've discovered.  In lieu of loot bonuses, a low-magic campaign should be using the inherent bonus mechanism detailed in the Dark Sun book as well as Dungeon Master's Guide 2, page 138.  If your DM doesn't want to add loot, then the inherent bonus system would be perfect to keep you in line with game mechanics.  Honestly, if I were newly sitting at that table and absolutely determined I would play there and not find a new one, I would build my character with inherent bonuses already applied and just not say anything about it.  This way my character would have the mechanics necessary to do its job and I wouldn't create waves by commenting on the lack of necessary gear.

____________________________________________________________________________________

As far as what you can be playing... well, that's up to you.  What character building tools do you have access to?  The official Character Builder is probably the easiest and most direct way to get to making and tweaking a character.  It's missing the material from about six months of Dragon Magazine and has a few bugs here and there, but overall it's still a solid tool, especially for new players.

Given your low system knowledge, I suggest you look to the Essentials style of characters.  For the strikers, you should probably look into the Slayer, Scout, or Thief.  A Slayer is definitely straight forward and is an adequate striker.  The Scout is likewise straight forward and does a good amount of damage.  The Thief is solid, just know that you'll need to learn a little about Combat Advantage and why you want it.  The Thief has stances that automatically grant Combat Advantage so it's not difficult to use, but you still need to know how it works.

Guys seriously. The DM is my best friend and the group are also my closest friends. I'm not changing groups or whatever because the reason I play is because I love the people I play with. Please understand that, and accept my apologies for being short last night, it was 4-5am and I was stressing over the whole thing. 



My current character:



Show
Pippa Woodkin (The Took)

Halfling Archer Ranger lvl 10 (11 but I still haven't adjusted my stats)


 16 Str, 14 Con, 20 Dex, 10 Int, 17 Wis, 10 Cha


60HP, 24 AC, 19 Fort, 20 Ref, 16 Will


Skills trained in: Acrobatics, Athletics, Nature, Perception, Stealth (I don't know what exactly all my skills are because someone spilled coffee on my sheet last session )


Gear:


+1 Flameburst shortbow (its whichever gives you +1d6 fire dmg as a daily) which puts me at +14 attack bonus, and somehow or another I have 1d8+8 for basic attacks and twin strike gains a +4 per attack. I believe it's from my brace of archery. 


Hide armor


Boots of Striding


Brace of Archery 


+ One more magic item of my choosing (can't be too strong or else the deal is off)


Utility+Skills:


Crucial Advice


Weave through the fray


Lethal Hunter


Durable


Skill training


Defensive mobility


weapon focus-bows


Archer fighting style


Hunter's Quarry


Second Chance


Prime Shot



Battle skills:


Nimble Strike, Twin Strike, Fox's cunning, Hunter's Bear Trap, Disruptive Strike, Excruciating Shot, Spikes of the Manticore, Attacks on the Run, Expeditious Strike and whatever I can pick at 11th lvl for Battle Archer paragon path. I'm not too keen on playing on with this character so I haven't looked at anything. What annoys me the most is the fact that I'm suffering performance-wise due to being a halfling, the fact I can't use longbows and don't gain the advantages elves gain feels like a lot, especially when I'm utterly outperformed in every turn. Someone mentioned Warlord buffs or something along those lines; we have a Warlord, but the one he used some skill he had on wasn't me and never will be, it was our Druid.



Now, to give you guys a flavor of what I truly enjoy, here's the Genasi Swordmage I built just for fun, I got some help from these forums, but otherwise this was all made from scratch; in fact I didn't know what a Genasi was until I found it by looking through all the books to pick a race. I'm aware Genasi are more suited for Assault Swordmages, however since she was meant to fit the role of Defender, I decided to go with a more defensive style. 


Show

Sylvie Fairwind, Genasi Windsoul, Swordmage lvl 11


12 Str, 18 Con, 10 Dex, 20 Int, 13 Wis, 8 Cha


85 HP, 27 AC, 22 Fort, 22 Ref, 20 Will


Weapon: Bastard Sword, 16 Attack bonus, 1d10+6


Skills trained in: Arcana, Athletics, Endurance, Nature


Feats and utilities:


Intelligent Blademaster, Extra Manifestation, Elemental Echo, Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword, Fast Runner, Retributive Shield, Aegis of Shielding, Swordbond, Windwalker, Earthsoul, Swordmage Warding


Attacking Skills:

Earthshock
Windwalker
Lightning Lure
Aegis of Shielding
Sword of Sigils
Sword Burst
Dimensional Thunder
Dimensional Vortex
Channeling Shield
Shielding Fire
Armathor's Step
Dimensional Dodge (which I'm not sure of the mechanics, the DM believes I get hit and then teleport, however I think I teleport while seeing the attack, therefore don't get hit)
Troll Rampage (LOVE THIS SO MUCH)
Rejuvenating Strike
And lvl 11 skills which I will need to pick alongside paragon path



So there. I'm very much in love with my Swordmage, while the Ranger fills me with a mixture of frustration, boredom and pure hatred, just looking at the Swordmage's character sheet makes me smile. I realize perhaps using the Bastard Sword isn't exactly suitable, however I just love the flavor and roleplaying opportunities of a delicate and airy character wielding a sword essentially the size of her body. Roleplaying-wise I have a ton of fun with her which I just haven't had with the useless fool of a Took. My Genasi has 0 gold since...well, I don't know why. The DM likes wandering beggars? I don't know. 



It's just not that I can't make a character, it's just that I don't know where to start right now. I do like the Hexblade or Warlock Swordmage, but I'm not sure which book to start from, and what all the different pacts entail. Also with regards to Swordmage multiclass into Warlock, how does one multiclass and does this basically mean I can cherrypick skills from both classes or? If so, that's daunting however I could use my Genasi as a template of sorts. 


No, we won't drop it because unless you understand why Ranger is a great striker, you will not be able to make another striker work. It is the easiest striker to grasp. You do great damage because you make multiple attacks on your turn, have non-standard attacks, have decent accuracy, not to mention you are the best target for leader buffs due to your multiple attacks. My recommendation remains the same. Keep your ranger, post it here, get some feedback, figure out how it works. Once you do, any striker builds on the same principles that you learn from the ranger.


You don't seem to understand that I dislike the ranger, and therefore to a huge degree am unwilling to make it work. A minimum wage worker in a terrible job isn't going to put in the same effort as someone who has their dream job. Also, I don't do non-standard attacks apart from two immediate interrupts, and my accuracy is pretty rubbish compared to the rest of the party. I entirely miss at least 3-4 times per encounter. I had to jump into the defender role off the bat with my Genasi, and while I had to get quick explanations regarding charging, flanking, opportunity attacks and the like, I actually was extremely satisfied with what I accomplished and managed to use a completely different and unknown character class, role and race very effectively. The ranger doesn't work because while I understand that it's the best single target DPR class, it's falling short in the party, was something quite literally imposed upon me while I was still trying to tell the difference between the d8 and d10. Do I get hit? No, I consistently stay out of harms way. Do I attack things? Yes, twang twang bla bla. I'm good at most skill challenges where others fail, and that's good, I usually squeeze in an extra surprise round due to stealth rolls and high initiative. But have I killed anything? Nope. Am I a striker, in that I deal the most damage? Nope. Now, you can do what you want to see why the ranger sucks, however, I won't have that thing shoved down my throat anymore. You're just as bad, if not worse than my DM for doing it. 






I won't have that thing shoved down my throat anymore. You're just as bad, if not worse than my DM for doing it. 



you still have a fundamental misunderstanding here, people are trying to HELP you

clearly he isn't using inherent bonuses and not letting anyone have better than a +1 and apparently you get in trouble for having magic items that are too good, nobody here is as bad as your DM
Ok, from what I can see your stats are kinda strange so I am guessing your group used the rolled stats option?  That being the case, you rolled 'ok' but you had 2 15s and a 14.  If you DM allows it, if you could adjust your stats a little you could effectively have another +1 or 2 to hit just from putting your Dex to 18 pre-racial or 23 at level 11.

Throwing the information you gave us into the character builder you seem to be short 3 feats, 1 (or 2 with retraining) of which can be paragon tier.  And the feats you did take are not optimized for Striking.  Any of them.  Durable is worthless because you never get attacked anyway. Skill training can be largely replaced by some multiclass, which generally gives you training in a skill and another benefit (and counting as that class for feats/etc).  Weapon Expertise (Bow) at the least would give you another +2 to hit, though I'd recommend Bow Expertise instead, it does the same thing, but also gives you bonus damage to targets who are not adjacent to any other creatures.

If you modified your attributes to being a 17 or 18 pre-racial bonus to Dex picked up Bow Expertise and Cunning Stalker and Called Shot, you would be adding +5 to all of your attack rolls, and +7 to all damage rolls (given an isolated target).  Swap out Durable for Prime Quarry and you are sitting at +6 to hit over what you have now.  With no additional gear.  Swap Skill Training for Multi-Class Rogue or Executioner and you can do an additional 3d6 or 2d8 once per encounter.

Look into getting a Frost Shortbow, then consider the feats: Lasting Frost, Icy Heart for another +6 damage on every attack (except the first).

So essentially we are saying there are some small things that could be adding another +6 to hit, and +13 to damage that we already expected you to have as a striker.  And thats assuming you were already taking advantage of Prime Shot, otherwise another +1 to hit.

Halflings are actually kinda awesome at the whole "I get in your face and shoot you with a bow point blank" because they get a bonus to defenses against opportunity attacks.  Add in your Defensive Mobility from Archer Style and you have a +4 against their 'free' attack.  If you still feel threatened, take Battle Caster Defense as well for another +4 or switch to Hunter Fighting Style.
Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis
Thank you for outlining why you are dedicated to this particular party.  That said, if the group is a bunch of close friends then why are they shrugging off your requests for help?  Oh well, that's something for you to deal with.  

You have inadvertantly given another example of your DM's failure to understand rules.  Dimensional Dodge is an Immediate Interrupt, not an Immediate Reaction, so you're right that you teleport before you get hit and negate the attack unless you teleport somewhere that is still in the attack range.  If it was a Reaction, then you'd get hit and take damage first.

Another thing you mentioned is that your DM giving your Genasi 0 gold.  Let's put this in perspective as far as the game is concerned, and this is something you can bring to your DM because it's entirely roleplay-centric.  At level 11 you are in the Paragon tier.  The game means this quite literally.  You are a model of excellence or perfection of a kind; a peerless example for whatever it is you're doing.  During Heroic you are essentially a local champion.  At Paragon, you are nationally renowned for your exploits.  At Epic you challenge the gods.

Swordmages CAN be effective strikers, but it comes with a thorough understanding of the rules and mechanics as well as appropriate gear.  If you can talk to your DM and convince them your nationally-renowned hero isn't a hobo then it might be something worth exploring.
Guys seriously. The DM is my best friend and the group are also my closest friends. I'm not changing groups or whatever because the reason I play is because I love the people I play with. Please understand that, and accept my apologies for being short last night, it was 4-5am and I was stressing over the whole thing.

All the more reason that you should be able to sit down with your DM friend and talk about what s/he's doing wrong here. A best friend should realize that there is a problem in the game when a player is underperforming to the point of being roundly ridiculed by the party.

There is an Inherent Bonus system in place for low magic item campaigns like yours. Check a little box on the last tab in the builder and suddenly everyone is up to par with respect to attack and defenses. This would take a lot of heat off people needing magic items, although it doesn't totally replace them. Part of the reason your ranger can't perform is due to lack of equipment.

I'm only harping on this because it will only get worse as you get higher in levels, and it will negatively impact everyone's enjoyment of the game eventually. The sooner you take care of it, the better of your game will be.

As for the build, once more I'll link you to a whole crapload of possible builds. All you have to do is click on a few links and pick one you like. Each handbook there also generally has multiple builds listed. This is a huge wealth of information and I strongly encourage you not to ignore it this time.

You need to understand this forum is not the type of place where you come in and say "make me an Eladrin striker." Rather it's where you say, "What kind of striker builds work with Eladrin?" then using that info, you make a couple builds and come back and say, "How can I improve these builds?" Basically, you need to do some work before expecting us to do some work for you.
Thank you for outlining why you are dedicated to this particular party.  That said, if the group is a bunch of close friends then why are they shrugging off your requests for help?  Oh well, that's something for you to deal with.  

You have inadvertantly given another example of your DM's failure to understand rules.  Dimensional Dodge is an Immediate Interrupt, not an Immediate Reaction, so you're right that you teleport before you get hit and negate the attack unless you teleport somewhere that is still in the attack range.  If it was a Reaction, then you'd get hit and take damage first.

Another thing you mentioned is that your DM giving your Genasi 0 gold.  Let's put this in perspective as far as the game is concerned, and this is something you can bring to your DM because it's entirely roleplay-centric.  At level 11 you are in the Paragon tier.  The game means this quite literally.  You are a model of excellence or perfection of a kind; a peerless example for whatever it is you're doing.  During Heroic you are essentially a local champion.  At Paragon, you are nationally renowned for your exploits.  At Epic you challenge the gods.

Swordmages CAN be effective strikers, but it comes with a thorough understanding of the rules and mechanics as well as appropriate gear.  If you can talk to your DM and convince them your nationally-renowned hero isn't a hobo then it might be something worth exploring.


Again, I'm really sorry I let my frustrations take over my posts. It's not that they're shrugging me off, it's just that they say I'm fine as I am, when anyone present at the table can easily see that I'm completely inadequate. Well I suppose that is a nicer way of shrugging people off so. I'm really not up for being the useless one AND the one complaining about gold and all that, so I'm honestly leaving that can of worms be. At least for the time being. I'm counting my blessings that I'm allowed to make a new character, since I managed to argue that my ranger's sole reason for traveling has been fulfilled and that she would want to remain in the fey wilds and live in peace. 



I won't be able to get appropriate gear anytime soon, but please do enlighten me. Just saying that they can be effective strikers with gear and knowledge is so vague, you might as well not have said it. 

If you find Rangers boring because you're using Twin Strike every round, then your Ranger is built wrong, and/or you will also find every other striker boring because of using the same power over and over again. Making the statement that it's boring is basically "I don't enjoy constant effectiveness", utter nonsense.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Just saying that they can be effective strikers with gear and knowledge is so vague, you might as well not have said it. 



Wow, ok, are you enjoying aplogizing in every post? Can the attitude, no wonder your friends don't want to help you.

Look at the links, read stuff, come back when you can ask things without spitting in the face of those that answer you.
It's just not that I can't make a character, it's just that I don't know where to start right now. I do like the Hexblade or Warlock Swordmage, but I'm not sure which book to start from, and what all the different pacts entail. Also with regards to Swordmage multiclass into Warlock, how does one multiclass and does this basically mean I can cherrypick skills from both classes or? If so, that's daunting however I could use my Genasi as a template of sorts.



Multiclassing works differently. You get a skill, a feature and can take feats from that class. You can take feats to get access to powers from that class. (Almost) freely picking stuff from both classes involves hybriding, but it also comes with restrictions and since your grasp of the rules isn't very good yet I advise against it. IF you want a starting point, check out the handbooks for the classes in this forum and consider getting a DDI subscription.
OK, I'm gonna do this because (unbelievably) Zelink and Erachima have not ripped you a new orifice yet, and the rest are probably trying to coddle your delicate feelings (lol, this is CharOp) because you're new-

STOP demanding we make your character for you! Learn how to PROPERLY build/play your current character before even attempting another. If you're going to be a demanding douche about it, noone here will give 2 ****, and the general advice will become: "Go F yourself with a Trident."

If you fail to understand that some people here are genuinely offering advice to improve on your current situation, and you fail to implement it, you're an idiot.

/CharOp superiority rant.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Guys seriously. The DM is my best friend and the group are also my closest friends. I'm not changing groups or whatever because the reason I play is because I love the people I play with. Please understand that, and accept my apologies for being short last night, it was 4-5am and I was stressing over the whole thing.

All the more reason that you should be able to sit down with your DM friend and talk about what s/he's doing wrong here. A best friend should realize that there is a problem in the game when a player is underperforming to the point of being roundly ridiculed by the party.

There is an Inherent Bonus system in place for low magic item campaigns like yours. Check a little box on the last tab in the builder and suddenly everyone is up to par with respect to attack and defenses. This would take a lot of heat off people needing magic items, although it doesn't totally replace them. Part of the reason your ranger can't perform is due to lack of equipment.

I'm only harping on this because it will only get worse as you get higher in levels, and it will negatively impact everyone's enjoyment of the game eventually. The sooner you take care of it, the better of your game will be.

As for the build, once more I'll link you to a whole crapload of possible builds. All you have to do is click on a few links and pick one you like. Each handbook there also generally has multiple builds listed. This is a huge wealth of information and I strongly encourage you not to ignore it this time.

You need to understand this forum is not the type of place where you come in and say "make me an Eladrin striker." Rather it's where you say, "What kind of striker builds work with Eladrin?" then using that info, you make a couple builds and come back and say, "How can I improve these builds?" Basically, you need to do some work before expecting us to do some work for you.

Could you refer me to a book or link me to where exactly I can find the Inherent Bonus system? I don't have access to the Wizards of the Coast builder so I do most things manually. 



I've looked at your links. The two that caught my eye were http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26360465/Blades_of_Cursed_Midnight:_A_Hexblades_Guide  and http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29939397/Completely_Broken?post_id=532509129#532509129 the pixie build posted there.  So I'll rephrase my question. How good would an Eladrin perform as a Hexblade? Also, how does one go about the Eladrin Swordmage/Warlock? I have yet to find anything other than mentions in this thread, and in all honesty it seems utterly fantastic. Again, my previous question has gone unanswered, which was how exactly does multiclassing work? I'm assuming you gain access to both class feats and skills, and could pick either paragon tier? Or both? 



Ok, from what I can see your stats are kinda strange so I am guessing your group used the rolled stats option?  That being the case, you rolled 'ok' but you had 2 15s and a 14.  If you DM allows it, if you could adjust your stats a little you could effectively have another +1 or 2 to hit just from putting your Dex to 18 pre-racial or 23 at level 11.

Throwing the information you gave us into the character builder you seem to be short 3 feats, 1 (or 2 with retraining) of which can be paragon tier.  And the feats you did take are not optimized for Striking.  Any of them.  Durable is worthless because you never get attacked anyway. Skill training can be largely replaced by some multiclass, which generally gives you training in a skill and another benefit (and counting as that class for feats/etc).  Weapon Expertise (Bow) at the least would give you another +2 to hit, though I'd recommend Bow Expertise instead, it does the same thing, but also gives you bonus damage to targets who are not adjacent to any other creatures.

If you modified your attributes to being a 17 or 18 pre-racial bonus to Dex picked up Bow Expertise and Cunning Stalker and Called Shot, you would be adding +5 to all of your attack rolls, and +7 to all damage rolls (given an isolated target).  Swap out Durable for Prime Quarry and you are sitting at +6 to hit over what you have now.  With no additional gear.  Swap Skill Training for Multi-Class Rogue or Executioner and you can do an additional 3d6 or 2d8 once per encounter.

Look into getting a Frost Shortbow, then consider the feats: Lasting Frost, Icy Heart for another +6 damage on every attack (except the first).

So essentially we are saying there are some small things that could be adding another +6 to hit, and +13 to damage that we already expected you to have as a striker.  And thats assuming you were already taking advantage of Prime Shot, otherwise another +1 to hit.

Halflings are actually kinda awesome at the whole "I get in your face and shoot you with a bow point blank" because they get a bonus to defenses against opportunity attacks.  Add in your Defensive Mobility from Archer Style and you have a +4 against their 'free' attack.  If you still feel threatened, take Battle Caster Defense as well for another +4 or switch to Hunter Fighting Style.


What. What. WHAT. 


With my stats, well, they're just there. I personally think that Str 10, Dex 20, Con 12, Int 10, Cha 8 and Wis 20 is better (and I'm not sure why I couldn't have two stats at 20 or wis at 18 at least as there are others with 20 in two stats starting). The strength is somewhat useless if not just for the skill challenges, however most the time I can just have Acrobatics in lieu of Athletics and vice versa. 


Though this all entirely explains why I'm so terrible at this, I've been doing it all wrong. Granted this was because I never actually looked into improving my ranger as I've been deeming it a lost cause. Though I think I'd like to just for the fun of it revamp my character and see where that takes me. Maybe I'll even start liking the class again. 



Multiclassing works differently. You get a skill, a feature and can take feats from that class. You can take feats to get access to powers from that class. (Almost) freely picking stuff from both classes involves hybriding, but it also comes with restrictions and since your grasp of the rules isn't very good yet I advise against it. IF you want a starting point, check out the handbooks for the classes in this forum and consider getting a DDI subscription.


What sorts of restrictions? 

Just saying that they can be effective strikers with gear and knowledge is so vague, you might as well not have said it.



While Tech-Priest may have stated it more harshly than I would have, telling me that I may as well not have said anything doesn't really bring any desire to assist you.  It really just makes us want to do exactly as you suggest, not say anything at all.

It's just not that I can't make a character, it's just that I don't know where to start right now. I do like the Hexblade or Warlock Swordmage, but I'm not sure which book to start from, and what all the different pacts entail. Also with regards to Swordmage multiclass into Warlock, how does one multiclass and does this basically mean I can cherrypick skills from both classes or? If so, that's daunting however I could use my Genasi as a template of sorts.



This is why I said both gear and knowledge.  You don't know anything about the game, and making a Swordmage into an effective striker involves knowing a fair amount about it.  I'm sorry, but we aren't here to teach you how to play.  Read the class handbooks.  Read what makes an effective striker.  Read other people's optimization threads and look up the powers and feats listed so you can see why certain things are preferred over others.  All of these things can be found in the thread you've been repeatedly linked to: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758....  After doing your reading, ask questions about specific things you are unsure about either in the corresponding threads or in the Ask a Simple Question sticky in this forum.  Use the character builder to make a character that we can critique and point out specifics of what you could be doing better.

You need more than just a build.  You need someone to walk you through each power and feat selection and how to play the character.  That's  that's not what this forum is for.  Whether you feel the statement above is advice or "just as bad as your DM", it doesn't change the purpose of this forum and it doesn't negate what suggestions we have made.
OK, I'm gonna do this because (unbelievably) Zelink and Erachima have not ripped you a new orifice yet, and the rest are probably trying to coddle your delicate feelings (lol, this is CharOp) because you're new- STOP demanding we make your character for you! Learn how to PROPERLY build/play your current character before even attempting another. If you're going to be a demanding douche about it, noone here will give 2 ****, and the general advice will become: "Go F yourself with a Trident." If you fail to understand that some people here are genuinely offering advice to improve on your current situation, and you fail to implement it, you're an idiot. /CharOp superiority rant.


Lets throw someone who's never played the game before into a campaign, watch her struggle, then bitch about how she can't build characters. 


That's why I'm here. I'm here because I don't know jack ****. I'm here because I was handed a sheet with some numbers on it and some funky looking dice and was told to just roll. I wasted money buying handbooks because they were the wrong edition. I wasted money buying Arcane power because it had nothing concerning my class in it. I wasted money on Dragon Magazines that didn't contain anything regarding my class. Please do forgive me for not taking the advice on board, when most of it is just 'here read this and piss off you idiot' or 'ranger is gud u suk'. Forgive me for thinking that my thread would result in something along the lines of 'oh Eladrin have bonuses to this stat and this stat, therefore this class would be best for them, and you could optimize dmg by going for this multiclass, avoid this skill and be sure to get this.', no instead it's just everyone saying my DM is crap, which amazingly enough, is something I worked out on my own. If he wasn't crap, I wouldn't be asking you guys for help. 



Honestly, it probably was too much to ask. Please, by all means rip me a new one. I don't even know why I bother with this game now. 

The only reason why you aren't getting the help you want is your attitude.
Techpriest is being an asshat, don't mind him.

Eladrin have bonuses to Intelligence, dexterity and charisma. They get a +2 feat bonus to damage with spears and longswords with the Eladrin Soldier feat (Player's Handbook). Play a striker class that corresponds to those criteria, and you'll be fine.
That's enough of the attitude.  Your word choice is the cause of the negative reaction you've received.  Yes, it sucks that your DM doesn't know how to play and none of your friends bothered to teach you.  Yes, it sucks you wasted money on a books rather than just picking up a $15 DDI subscription and having access to the Compendium, Builder, and all Dragon material.  If it hasn't been too long maybe you can get a refund or at least store credit on those items.  That said, you came here asking for us to hand you a build that you wouldn't know anything about and then getting angry at us for telling you that you should learn how to play the game first.  It's not "read this and piss off".  It's asking you to educate yourself so you know what exactly you're asking for.

Though this all entirely explains why I'm so terrible at this, I've been doing it all wrong. Granted this was because I never actually looked into improving my ranger as I've been deeming it a lost cause. Though I think I'd like to just for the fun of it revamp my character and see where that takes me. Maybe I'll even start liking the class again.



Right here you admit you don't know what you're doing and you didn't care to know.  The rules that apply to a halfling bow-wielding Ranger also apply to everyone else.  Further, you say that upon gaining knowledge of how the game works you may even enjoy the original class.  I think you should do just that.  If you can swing it, pick up the DDI subscription.  Read the Ranger handbook and use the Character Builder to build a bow-wielding DEX-based character.  Even if you don't play this character, you'll at least get a feel for character building and seeing for yourself how to select interactions.  You will also be able to compare it to the halfling you don't like and see why it doesn't work.
'oh Eladrin have bonuses to this stat and this stat, therefore this class would be best for them, and you could optimize dmg by going for this multiclass, avoid this skill and be sure to get this.'



the very first response you got was this, telling you warlock, the handbook on warlocks would cover the rest
you saw there is also a handbook on hexblades, the handbooks contain information on how compatible racers are with the class, read them

you also said you wanted massive damage, warlock will probably not give you this, at least not like a ranger would

you will get better responses when you don't insult everyone in the last line of each post

this forum is generally for refinement, not wholesale creation, people could point you in a direction, wait for you to make the effort, and then help round out what you come up with
[sblock Halfling Ranger]

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 11
Halfling, Ranger, Battlefield Archer
Fighting Style Option: Archer Fighting Style
Ranger Option: Prime Shot
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Primordial Adept

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 14, DEX 23, INT 11, WIS 17, CHA 9

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8


AC: 24 Fort: 18 Ref: 22 Will: 18
HP: 85 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +17, Dungeoneering +13, Nature +13, Perception +13, Stealth +15, Thievery +17

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +5, Athletics +4, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Endurance +6, Heal +8, History +5, Insight +8, Intimidate +4, Religion +5, Streetwise +4

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Primordial Adept Attack: Solkara's Wave
Halfling Racial Power: Second Chance
Hunter's Quarry Power: Hunter's Quarry
Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike
Ranger Attack 1: Nimble Strike
Ranger Attack 1: Fox's Cunning
Ranger Utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Ranger Attack 3: Disruptive Strike
Rogue Attack 7: Snap Shot
Ranger Attack 9: Attacks on the Run
Battlefield Archer Attack 11: Combined Fire

FEATS
Defensive Mobility
Level 1: Bow Expertise
Level 4: Sneak of Shadows
Level 6: Moonbow Stalker
Level 8: Novice Power
Level 10: Wintertouched
Level 11: Lasting Frost
Level 11: Icy Heart

ITEMS
Frost Shortbow +2 x1
Bracers of Archery (heroic tier) x1
Hide Armor x1
====== End ======


[/sblock]


Try that
You get a +17 attack bonus, +18 when you quarry, +19 for Prime Shot, +21 when you have CA against your opponent(which should almost always be true because you having Lasting Frost and you repeatedly shoot opponents that you haven't downed). Do you think +7 to hit generally will make a difference in how often you hit? With a +21 to hit as an 11th level character, you should only be missing on a 1, 2, or 3.

Twin Strike damage = 1d8+14(+2 for Bracers, +2 for Enhancement bonus, +3 for Icy Heart, +2 for Primordial Adept, +5 for Lasting Frost(after 1st hit))

Your Nova round now looks like this:
Be at the front of the party
Minor: Quarry
Minor: Snap Shot for 1d8+15
AP: Twin Strike for (1d8+14)*2
Standard: Twin Strike for (1d8+14)*2

Save quarry/sneak attack for the Standard if you haven't yet made a critical hit. Assuming you miss with one twin strike attack and don't crit, your damage looks like this:
4d8+58+3d6+2d8 for an average damage of 95.5.

And this is with not-great racial choice and poor item selection. Does that look different than your current character's output?
 

The only reason why you aren't getting the help you want is your attitude.


Take a look around. Maybe, just maybe my attitude is a result of the generally uninviting, patronizing and dismissive attitude I have been presented with.  Thank you very much for your input, very useful. 




Eladrin have bonuses to Intelligence, dexterity and charisma. They get a +2 feat bonus to damage with spears and longswords with the Eladrin Soldier feat (Player's Handbook). Play a striker class that corresponds to those criteria, and you'll be fine.



 I did not know about the Charisma bonuses. So in lieu of the +2 Dex you could gain +2 charisma? I have handbook 4 and it states that they gain +2Dex and +2 Int. Which one of them is the optional one, or is it like Dragonborn and their 3 stat gains?