Sagathia - Steenhart Dragon

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steenhart Dragon
Creature - Dragon
Flying
: Steenhart Dragon gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
Whenever a player taps a Swamp or Mountain for mana, that player adds one mana of that type to his or her mana pool.
5/5

Making lands tap for additional mana goes back a long way.  Red originally had Mana Flare, but apparently it's been taken over by Green in the form of Heartbeat of Spring, Keeper of Progenitus and a few others.  Black, on the other hand, gets its own version of the ability, with things like Crypt Ghast, with the limitation of only affecting Swamps, but the bonus of only affecting your own lands.
 I considered swapping the colors to make this Black/Green, but then it suddenly became just another Nirkana Revenant.  I'm hoping that the rarity and dragonitude make it all click together, even though Green is a slightly better overlap.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Solid, but kinda boring. It seems sorta like you grabbed Blistering Dieflyn and mashed it against Crypt Ghast until this came out.
Solid, but kinda boring. It seems sorta like you grabbed Blistering Dieflyn and mashed it against Crypt Ghast until this came out.

Mashing things together sounds pretty close to my general method (although why the Dieflyn as opposed to one of the many dragons out there I dunno).  I've always liked the "remix" approach that hybrids take, relying on familiar shared ground between colors to create the right sort of gameplay feel.  If the mechanics weren't recognizable as things you've seen in other colors before, I don't think the card would feel like a proper hybrid at all.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok

Mashing things together sounds pretty close to my general method (although why the Dieflyn as opposed to one of the many dragons out there I dunno).  I've always liked the "remix" approach that hybrids take, relying on familiar shared ground between colors to create the right sort of gameplay feel.  If the mechanics weren't recognizable as things you've seen in other colors before, I don't think the card would feel like a proper hybrid at all.

I agree to an extent, but...I mean, both of the cards I linked have small bodies and only cost, what, two mana less than this guy? I'm a little worried on that score.
Honestly I think you probably could've made the card monored. It doesn't feel very black and een though manaflare effects are primarily green now I think it would be okay to see a few in monored every now and then.
Overall, despite what some people are saying it's not a bad design. Once again GM's total inability to discern the motives of others threatens to turn the thread into a flame war.
Gods die too. Just like Pokemon.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Well, you've also got Nirkana Revenant and Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger on the high end of the creature power range.  I based the power level on the Revenant, gaining +1/+1 and flying in exchange for only pumping power not toughness, and also sometimes giving your opponent free mana as well as yourself (which, I might reconsider, it feels a bit counterintuitive).
Well, you've also got Nirkana Revenant and Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger on the high end of the creature power range.  I based the power level on the Revenant, gaining +1/+1 and flying in exchange for only pumping power not toughness, and also sometimes giving your opponent free mana as well as yourself (which, I might reconsider, it feels a bit counterintuitive).

Honestly, I think the Flying is worth a LOT more than the difference between Firebreathing and Shadebreathing.

Honestly, I think the Flying is worth a LOT more than the difference between Firebreathing and Shadebreathing.

Wellllll.... yeah....

Wellllll.... yeah....

Don't worry, one of these days I'll start posting cards again and I'll look forward to you critiquing me in return ^_^
I’ve removed content from this thread because trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the Report Post button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

Neat.

Anyway, I like the card, but I can't stop feeling that it would work a lot better as bg hybrid, as those colors also have a more common pump effect.
Actually, somewhat strange such a card doesn't exist. 

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Sorry it just needed to be said. You know what I'm laughing at.
Hey Mown, they already printed Nirkana Revenant! :/ This card would become a lot more unique with a restriction that additional mana produced this way can only be spend on activated abilities..
Hey Mown, they already printed Nirkana Revenant! :/

That's not a bg hybrid though.

Considering the implications of "Whenever you tap a swamp or mountain, +1/+0.", but extra mana is sort of fun. 

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Sign In to post comments