Tharizdun / The Elder Elemental Eye

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm gearing my players up for a campaign through the Underdark where they will need to confront and resolve a dispute between Lolth and Tharizdun.  This is epic tier, so a confrontation with the gods is more than likely.  I was wondering if there was a template for Tharizdun / The Chained God / The Elder Elemental Eye anywhere.  There's info on Lolth from MM3, but I haven't seen anything about Tharizdun.  So does anybody know if there is one (maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place in the monster builder) ideally one from 4th, but a 3e or 2e template I can still work with.
As far as I know Tharizdun (or his various other incarnations) have never had a stat block because he was locked away by the gods, usually in the far realm, because he was too powerful/insane to have around. There's that template for the crawling god in 4e (forget his name) and if you beef that up some and add some psychic powers it might work.

Personally I subscribe to the field of thought that heroes, no matter how epic, shouldn't be able to bring down gods without the use of some sort of macguffin.
You could probably scale down www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1... to actually be fightable.

That said, having some sort of macguffin to fight tharizdun I'd say is a must. He was locked in another universe for a reason. There's another alternate dimension where the sharn come from where he pretty much consumed the astral sea and the elemental chaos. He took alot of gods to beat back and seal away, if 5+ gods had problems dealing with him, how are a band of 5ish heroes, who while powerful, arent necessarily gods yet going to kill him without some sort of macguffin? 
I was wondering if there was a template for Tharizdun / The Chained God / The Elder Elemental Eye anywhere.

The last Lair Assault (Pit of Madness) contained a manifestation of Tharizdun designed for 10th level PC's.

Per his wiki page: "Tharizdun was described in Dragon #294 as a pitch-black, roiling, amorphous form. As the Dark God, he is described as an incorporeal wraithform, black and faceless."
I'm gearing my players up for a campaign through the Underdark where they will need to confront and resolve a dispute between Lolth and Tharizdun.  This is epic tier, so a confrontation with the gods is more than likely.  I was wondering if there was a template for Tharizdun / The Chained God / The Elder Elemental Eye anywhere.  There's info on Lolth from MM3, but I haven't seen anything about Tharizdun.  So does anybody know if there is one (maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place in the monster builder) ideally one from 4th, but a 3e or 2e template I can still work with.

Tharizdun has not been officially stated; however, I have created stats for most of the gods on this thread:  community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Keep in mind that my version of the gods are much more challenging than the official versions with damage above MM3).  More in line with the recent priomordials released in Dragon magazine.  Read the first post in the thread and it will explain the philosophy I used to create the gods.  You can adjust as needed.
This is all great information! I have been writing a (very general) outline of an Epic Tier campaign, set in Dark Sun, that culminates in the characters facing a god.

The premise of the campaign is that one god actually survived the Dawn War but has been lying in statis since then. A prophecy will emerge about this Dark God. Some will believe that when this Dark God returns he will bring life back to Athas. Others believe he will bring the final destruction.

The characters will be given all kinds of info on the prophecy and we'll see where it goes from there. My idea was that Tharizdun would be this Dark God. But I haven't decided if the characters would face him in combat in the end or to support him. And really, I think the characters can decide that along the way. I'm even considering allowing one or two players to play a Divine power source class if they wanted to be members of a cult that worships the prophecy of this "lost god".

In any case, this information (and the links provided) are super helpful! Thanks! 
You could probably scale down www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1... to actually be fightable.

Actually, after a quick glance, this design doesn't have a very good defense against conditions.  I well coordinated lvl 30 party would take him down in a few rounds (though i would have to check the attack and defense bonus to be sure)

Tharizdun has not been officially stated; however, I have created stats for most of the gods on this thread:  community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Keep in mind that my version of the gods are much more challenging than the official versions with damage above MM3).  More in line with the recent priomordials released in Dragon magazine.  Read the first post in the thread and it will explain the philosophy I used to create the gods.  You can adjust as needed.

A late repost, but I just saw this.  Great info.  I don't necessarily agree with some of the stats for your gods, but it's a really good start, and I'd probably only make a few changes. 

I also found Turaglas, which power wise and description wise I think makes a good starting point for a Tharizdun template as well.  (Gargantuan monster, eyes and mouths, eats you, sort of thing, a formless chaotic mass)

A late repost, but I just saw this.  Great info.  I don't necessarily agree with some of the stats for your gods, but it's a really good start, and I'd probably only make a few changes. 

I also found Turaglas, which power wise and description wise I think makes a good starting point for a Tharizdun template as well.  (Gargantuan monster, eyes and mouths, eats you, sort of thing, a formless chaotic mass)

Randomvirus,
Thank you for taking a look.  If you have any thoughts on how to improve the goads I made, please let me know.  I really wanted to be a community project, but I didn't get much help.  I would still like to finish of the greater gods too - I just don't have a  lot of time.

I am familiar with Turaglas, but I never thought of it as a good fit for Tharizdun.  However, I am not really familar with Tharizdun - can you let me know why you think it would be a good template.