What is the best source book for Raven Queen?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I made a character that worships her, but I basicly don't know so much about her other than, that she's a neutral goddess of death, fate and winter. I would like to read more about her, but I don't know which book to buy.

So basicly the question is simple.  Which book is the best source for learning more about Raven Queen?
Dungeon Magazine #171 has a good write up on her and Dragon #380 has an article about PCs that worship the Raven Queen

also:
community.wizards.com/dere/wiki/Raven_Qu...

I think most of what I know I read in that Dungeon article, obviously the PHB has a brief write-up

other books that have some information but are less specifically about the Raven Queen, they are mostly about locations or followers

The Shadowfell: Gloomwrought and Beyond
Heroes of Shadow
Manual of the Planes
In the game I'm running, one of the characters worships the Raven Queen. He is not a Divine class, he's actually a Monk looking for his father. But we still work on developing the Raven Queen's role in helping this character.

The campaign is set in the Shadowfell and so the presence of the Raven Queen is very strong. I found the material in the Gloomwrought and Beyond source book to be very helpful in developing things about the Raven Queen. 

"You ask me about my Lady of Winter? You ask, and at the heart of your question there is still this tiny bit of fear.  No, do not protest your courage.  I know it. But death is not a thing to be feared, is it?  After all, there are so many things more deserving of fear in the world than the mere knowledge that we must one day leave it.

"You do not believe me. Consider this, then:  Winter is the time of the year when many things die, and yet it is in no way a terrible thing - the elk must die so that the wolves that pull it down can live through the cold season.  The trees and grass and the young partridge, they must all die when the Raven Queen spreads her icy mantle upon the land.  This is why she is still feared among the ignorant and the young.  Yet when spring comes, it is those deaths that fuel the verdant life that stirs across lands once blanketed in snow.  Such deaths are not good or bad!  No, they are simply a necessary part of life, one that ought to be understood and accepted rather than feared.  You have a death as well, though you do not know what it is yet.  Do you not hope and wish that it is a good one, one worthy of the life that preceded it and of the memories of those you have touched on your way to meet it?  Death gives our lives meaning, just as any song must have its final notes - or else it is an incomplete and sad thing.

"Just as the stillness of winter is something to be prepared for but not feared, so is the death that waits for us all.  We need not run from it.  Those who do are wretched things - you have seen them in your travels, the horrid restless souls of those too wicked or too greedy to be satisfied with the time they have been given.  Would you wish to continue on as one of them?  I thought not.  Best to give those unfortunates who are trapped in such a state a swift end and a proper service, and to destroy those selfish enough to have actually chosen such an abomination over their appointed end.  How cruel must one be to subject the world and all those in it to the agony of a soul in half-life, a fate undreamed of in the infancy of this world?  Give them the mercy of a pyre, and let their damned souls go to whatever end they deserve, but suffer them not to persist.  Their presence is a cancer on all that yet lives, and an affront to those who have already passed on.  It is our duty, as caretakers of this world. We are the inheritors of all that those honored dead labored to achieve, and our guardianship is a paean to their memory.

"Aha! I see that you are beginning to understand.  It is not so hard, is it?  For when the gates of death themselves are as a welcoming friend, what left is there for righteous men to fear?  Come, we will feast and sing and revel into the night, and tomorrow we will conquer the paltry dangers of this brilliant world!  For in the end, by keeping it safe we only enrich it for those who will tell our stories after we are gone. What other immortality could compete with such a thing?"

= = = 

The above was written by a member of these boards:  Teflon Shugenja.  Posted some time ago.

I love it; been looking for an excuse to share it for a while.

/\ Art
Its a nice piece of writing. I think between PHB1, DMG1, MotP, HoS, and I guess Gloomwrought (I haven't read that) you'll find most of what you'd want to know. I think The Plane Above might also contain some relevant info since the RQ's story intersects a couple other god's pretty heavily (Bane and Kord in particular). Anyway, MotP definitely has a good bit of basic info on the Shadowfell and basic aspects of the RQ's realm, goals, and servants. Remember though, 4e's cosmology is pretty open-ended, it isn't meant to be totally nailed-down.
That is not dead which may eternal lie