Why did you drop all the 4E stuff?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I don't understand why Wizards would stop producing the 4E products.
4E is unlike any other rpg system they have used to date, I can understand bringing in DnD next but why stop 4e as it is not competition with next or 3.5 for that matter as it appeals to a different crown.
They I can no longer get a adventurers vault 1 but if I want a 3.5 book , well they will reprint that!
Seriously guys I have dumped a load of money into 3.5 and 4E and then you drop it like it blind date with a coldsore?
Instead of making a new game system you should have tweaked 3.5 and concentrated on modules, new worlds box sets and the miscellaneous.
Do you realise that if you had not stopped production of the ability cards I could have sold at least 30 more for the PHB1 and 2.
Your eseentials was a collossal waste of time ( why 2 different rulebooks for the same game?)

SO if you would like to make money here is what you do.

Forget Dnd next, tweak 3.5 and continue reprinting , especially compendiums and maybe soft cover monster and treasure  add ons that retail for about $20.

Make more modules and a world with portals to realms that have different physical and or magical property. Like a greyhawk box set but for the fey realm or the abyss etc etc.

Continue supporting 4E and use the above suggetsions to expand on it also.

This was a rpg system, you kind of messed up at 3.0. there will always be competition but you will never beat it in a office, or even by running games, you should have a rep ( like a secret shopper) that goes to shops and plays games and listens to the people who play your products have to say.
Hell they should even join games that other people run that have nothing to do with Fantasy , just to see what people like and see if there is something they can bring to it or from it.

Last but not least, come up with some type of terrain, not mountains and rivers , but furniture and chests and weapons, magical items , imagine a plastic set of random items we couls place on the map , torches left in  hallway, a free standing portcullis, a statue, or some cheesy overpriced underdark cavern items......ok maybe not the last one

Anyone else think this is the path or should they just keep losing money and try to get by reprinting overpriced books that no one but collectors want to buy.

Bring back the 4e tweak 3.5 and get us some toys to play with please.

I hope this sounded constructive and not a rant.

Have a good day all.

It's just what happens when a new edition is announced. It's probably not economically feasible to put new product out for an edition that's about to change, unless it's a very edition-neutral book. 

I would love to see all the Essentials classes compiled into a softcover compendium especially since they were spread out with some of the class options being in Dragon  and in other books. It's be great to have them all in one book. BUT I'm not going to hold my breath.
It's just what happens when a new edition is announced. It's probably not economically feasible to put new product out for an edition that's about to change, unless it's a very edition-neutral book. 

I would love to see all the Essentials classes compiled into a softcover compendium especially since they were spread out with some of the class options being in Dragon  and in other books. It's be great to have them all in one book. BUT I'm not going to hold my breath.

Didn't Wizards, before releasing 3e, put out a few "End of Campaign" products so DMs could have an excuse to close out their 1st/2nd campaigns and start fresh?

I mean, they all sounded pretty terrible so maybe that isn't what we should ask for, but the idea is there.
I am holding out a sliver of hope that they end 4e with a bang-up of a book. And the one I'm hoping for (and won't get) is a full-on campaign setting book of Nerath/Nentir Vale/whatever-you-call-it. The concept wasn't bad, it just needs some more meat, and no level of online-only info will help for those of us who would prefer the book in hand. Some history, some geography, not too difficult, is it?

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

I

If the new product had the same mechanics I could ubderstand that, but 4E is radically different. IF they would just release a new version so people have a choice, they wouldn't have lost a crowd to PF when they released 4E!
I am holding out a sliver of hope that they end 4e with a bang-up of a book. And the one I'm hoping for (and won't get) is a full-on campaign setting book of Nerath/Nentir Vale/whatever-you-call-it. The concept wasn't bad, it just needs some more meat, and no level of online-only info will help for those of us who would prefer the book in hand. Some history, some geography, not too difficult, is it?

I couldn't agree more, except I don't want them to end 4E.
If they learned anything from PF it should be that if you stop supporting a game system that people like , someone else will pick it up and run with it.

Wizards solely owns the rights to 4E.  The licenses and trademarks all belong to WotC, meaning that all they have to do is keep renewing the licenses and keep the product off the shelves.  Wizards wants to sweep this edition under the rug and act like it never existed.  I have asked several times for answers, and the hush-hush method they are taking is not leaving me swooning in ecstasy.

Based on my observations and several attempts to get information, I have come to the conclusion that as soon as NEXT hits launch, 4E products will become a hot commodity as they stop printing.  Once they are no longer in circulation, these books will hit astronomical prices as people try to capitalize on WotC's effective "Vaulting" of the license (Vaulting meaning that they are going to hide it and never print it again).  If you don't already have your hands on the complete collection, I suggest you start buying now before the prices jump. 
Wizards solely owns the rights to 4E.  The licenses and trademarks all belong to WotC, meaning that all they have to do is keep renewing the licenses and keep the product off the shelves.  Wizards wants to sweep this edition under the rug and act like it never existed.  I have asked several times for answers, and the hush-hush method they are taking is not leaving me swooning in ecstasy.

Based on my observations and several attempts to get information, I have come to the conclusion that as soon as NEXT hits launch, 4E products will become a hot commodity as they stop printing.  Once they are no longer in circulation, these books will hit astronomical prices as people try to capitalize on WotC's effective "Vaulting" of the license (Vaulting meaning that they are going to hide it and never print it again).  If you don't already have your hands on the complete collection, I suggest you start buying now before the prices jump. 

Man if that wasn't so true I would almost think you were trolling me!
It just ticks me off so bad!
Maybe it is time for them to either listen up or we just stop buying their products.
I know that each and every one of us on here as experimented with game systems  and made new worlds for our characters to explore.
They say you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time, well I think that between 4E and 3.5 ( with a little tweak for the caster classes) they could be printing stuff by the truckload and making a fortune.
If it was me I would be making full color class specific character sheets and spellcards, and more maps and monster pogs ( imagine a goblin pog package with 100 goblin pogs in it, or orcs or skeletons , etc etc as a DM ther eis never enough of the horde creatures available!

"Hey Wizards guys , Put the 4E products back in print or I will not buy any future products!
I have spent a lot of money on your products, and being a DM I have gotten many players to spend their money on your products, I figure i have made Wizards ( I won't go into how much I made tsr) well over $60,000 in (CDN retail) sales( but only $60.00 on 3.0 which should be a clue to you) . I am going to stop buying your products unless you get your act together! I may be one guy but I know ten other guys thats $60,000 in lost sales, and they know 10 other guys thats $6,0000,000 in lost sales, and they know ten other guys thats ....well thats the end of your Canadian sales isn't it ,and if the American DM's do the same thing well thats it for you RPG Division.
This isn't a threat anymore, this is a promise, and the fact that you have alienated someone who has been playing your product for 35 years is just proof that you have lost touch with the gaming community.

I am not a "Game Master or GM" I am a "Dungeon Master" I am the teller of stories that have guided players for 35 years, I tell them what world they play in , what happens when they fail a roll, what happens when they snatch victory from the jaws of defeat ( got to love it when they roll a natural 20)  I have watched a group of adveturers rescue the People from the curse on the Palace of the Silver Princess and watched in agony as a paladin stuck his hand into a sphere of annhiliation in the Tomb of Horrors! I have seen a young rogue find his first gem in the chimney of a dilapadated house on the outskirts of Saltmarsh. I have watched in awe as a Wizard knowing his death was near ,as he was snatched up by a Balor, yell at his friends to get clear as he broke  a fully charged Staff of power and sacrificed himself to save his party and stop a Demon army from accessing their world!
 We the Dm's tell our players which books to use, which game system we will be trying next, don't make me choose a non D&D system, I don't want to , but I will.

Sincerely
                 Kelly

The cancellation of 4E products YEARS before the release of DDN- sucks.

The lack of communication that they were stopping all new products for 4E- sucks.

Throwing 4E mechanics under the bus for DDN- sucks

Every time they release a product they stop releasing it- Dungeon Command, Wrath of Ashardalon type games, D&D Lair Assault, etc...Paizo never does this. They have a niche for ALL their fans- not just what sells the best. Too bad I don't like PF- Paizo is a gamers dream.
I'd be super stoked if they did POD for all D&D products that are out of print. I'd buy so many 2e books that i'd have some sort of metaphor or similie about how many books I'd buy... I couldn't think of anything witty. But that doesn't take away from the fact I'd throw just wheel barrows full of money at WotC.
I'd be super stoked if they did POD for all D&D products that are out of print. I'd buy so many 2e books that i'd have some sort of metaphor or similie about how many books I'd buy... I couldn't think of anything witty. But that doesn't take away from the fact I'd throw just wheel barrows full of money at WotC.

This +7(320x)/0.5

Solve for x.Tongue Out 

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

The cancellation of 4E products YEARS before the release of DDN- sucks. The lack of communication that they were stopping all new products for 4E- sucks. Throwing 4E mechanics under the bus for DDN- sucks Every time they release a product they stop releasing it- Dungeon Command, Wrath of Ashardalon type games, D&D Lair Assault, etc...Paizo never does this. They have a niche for ALL their fans- not just what sells the best. Too bad I don't like PF- Paizo is a gamers dream.

This. The Paizo model is pure genius and has built them a thoroughly loyal fanbase that they are happy to engage with on the boards. Heck, I don't like PF either but they're still getting all the money I once spent on 4E (y'know when there were like books coming out and stuff). I can convert their stuff to 4E easily enough.

Way to lose my custom Wizards.
Sign In to post comments