Promotional Unlocks 2014 - What are you hoping for/what do you want?

136 posts / 0 new
Last post
(work in progress)
Chant (lacks in draw and early/flying defenses)
Frostweb Spider
Skyshroud Claim
Descendants Path
Harrow
Eaten by Spiders
Beast Within
Primordial Sage
Soul of the Harvest
Skylasher
Horn of Greed
Harmonize
Heartwood Storyteller

Mask of the Dimir (lacks in "good" removal and "good" creatures)
Hands of Binding
Megrim
Damnation
Go for the Throat
Haunting Echoes
Remand
Consecrated Sphinx
Invisible Stalker or Inkfathom Infiltrator
Overburden or Dissipation Field
Vile Consumption

Avacyn’s Glory
Hero of Bladehold
Boros Elite
Intanigble Virute
Terminus or Day of Judgment
Serra Avenger
Cloudshift
Faith's Shield
Endless Horizons
Mirror Entity
Worship

Enter the Dragonmancer
Sneak Attack - > hehe
Putrid Leech
Lightning Bolt
Ryusei, the Falling Star
Predatory Advantage
Firespout
Essence Warden
Forgotten Ancient

Firewave
Countryside Crusher
Manabarbs
Wheel of Fortune
Lightning Bolt
Splinter Twin
Spellshock
Hound of Griselbrand
Citadel of Pain
Circle of Flame
Earthquak

Guardians of Light
Magus of the Disk
Greater Auramancy
Karmic Justice
Felidar Umbra
Austere Command
Umbra Mystic
Tariff
Jareth, Leonine Titan
Humility
Replenish

Hunters Strenth
Fosteror Greater Good
Spearbreaker Behemoth
Giant Adephage
Chatter of the Squirrel
Squirrel Mob
Tooth and Nail
Nantuko Shrine
Crucible of Worlds

Mindmaze (trying to think of an alternate Win-Con that isnt Tribal, Mill, Battle of Witts or to Controlly...anybody?)
Hover Barrier
Curse of Echoes
Keeper of the Mind
Blue Sun's Zenith
Costal Piracy
Inundate
Chameleon Spirit
Aura Thief
Infinite Reflection

Deadwalker
Geth's Verdict
Tragic Slip
Dark Suspicions
Extinction

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Shameless reprint of my promo unlock wish list from the "Masks of the dimir" thread. 

1 x Cavern Harpy. This card isn't going to win the game on it's own, but has great synergy with the etb effects the deck has an abundance of, can also act as a blocker that can't die or just deal 2 damage each turn.
1 x Baleful Strix. It doesn't get much more solid than this. Great blocker and has synergy with the harpy.
1 x Shadowmage Infiltrator. Iconic and solid BU card, that fits with what the deck wants to do and works great with cipher against the right decks.
1 x Consult the Necrosages. Just a solid card, that fits perfectly in the deck. Why the main pool only has one I can't even begin to phantom.
1 x Recoil. Another iconic BU card. Works great in the deck as another instant removal spell besides Last gasp, but is also a much needed way to get rid of artifacts and enchantments.
1 x Undermine. One unconditional counterspell shouldn't be to much to ask, and this is probably the best BU counter there is.
1 x Duskmantle Seer. Solid flyver, with an ability that wreaks some decks and is great if build around. Since all players draws happen on your upkeep, you can make your opponent draw with seer and then make him discard the card afterwards with an Dimir guildmage for example. Also lots of fun in multiplayer matches.
1 x Sangromancer. A good flying body, but really important as a way to make up for some of the life loss that cards like Moroii cause you.
1 x Damnation. Giving the deck a damnation almost feels like a cop out, but the deck is really lacking in uncontional removal and sweepers and the black wrath fills both those needs.
1 x Consuming Aberration. A card that can be underwhelming, but is incredible if it gets going. Has synergy with harpy and cipher and even gives the deck an alternative win condition. Is also a beast in multiplayer.
Shameless reprint of my promo unlock wish list from the "Masks of the dimir" thread. 

1 x Cavern Harpy. This card isn't going to win the game on it's own, but has great synergy with the etb effects the deck has an abundance of, can also act as a blocker that can't die or just deal 2 damage each turn.
1 x Baleful Strix. It doesn't get much more solid than this. Great blocker and has synergy with the harpy.
1 x Shadowmage Infiltrator. Iconic and solid BU card, that fits with what the deck wants to do and works great with cipher against the right decks.
1 x Consult the Necrosages. Just a solid card, that fits perfectly in the deck. Why the main pool only has one I can't even begin to phantom.
1 x Recoil. Another iconic BU card. Works great in the deck as another instant removal spell besides Last gasp, but is also a much needed way to get rid of artifacts and enchantments.
1 x Undermine. One unconditional counterspell shouldn't be to much to ask, and this is probably the best BU counter there is.
1 x Duskmantle Seer. Solid flyver, with an ability that wreaks some decks and is great if build around. Since all players draws happen on your upkeep, you can make your opponent draw with seer and then make him discard the card afterwards with an Dimir guildmage for example. Also lots of fun in multiplayer matches.
1 x Sangromancer. A good flying body, but really important as a way to make up for some of the life loss that cards like Moroii cause you.
1 x Damnation. Giving the deck a damnation almost feels like a cop out, but the deck is really lacking in uncontional removal and sweepers and the black wrath fills both those needs.
1 x Consuming Aberration. A card that can be underwhelming, but is incredible if it gets going. Has synergy with harpy and cipher and even gives the deck an alternative win condition. Is also a beast in multiplayer.

Looks nice and I think that the deck really needs the damnation to cope with a turn 6-8 Eldrazi and or Dragon. I don't know about Undermine (I think they hate Counterspells because of all the complaints).

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

My wish list for Enter the Dracomancer:

[C]Clan Defiance[/C]
[C]Signal the Clans[/C]
[C]Thromok the Insatiable[/C]
[C]Thundermaw Hellkite[/C]
[C]Bogardan Hellkite[/C]
[C]Lightning Bolt[/C]
[C]Primeval Bounty[/C] (M14 card)

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

I wish for "Chant of Mul Daya" Kozilek, Butcher of Truth and Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre.
For "Enter the Dracomancer" i wish Sprouting Thrinax and Dragonmaster Outcast.

The eventual same number of cards for every deck, even after all promos/expansions/deck packs.
It'll be kind of a shame if there isn't a copy or two of Sprouting Thrinax in the promos, I think.  I liked him a lot in the original dragon deck and he seems like an even better fit here with all the devour.
Are promotional unlocks confirmed in 2014?
It feels like they almost abandoned that idea after the codes were found too early last year.
Because they never released any extra unlocks for the deck packs.

But of course we could always hope the extra unlocks will be back in 2014, they made a huge difference in 2013.

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Didn't add any legendary Eldrazi as I still think there is going to a mill deck and that wouldn't mesh together well.

There are plenty of cards that could be included in a mill deck that would allow it to come over the top of the big three Eldrazi.  Hell, many of them have already been in other decks throughout Duels history.  Extract is one example, Jester's Cap is a better one, and Bribery is the best of all (and those are just the first three that came to mind).
Are promotional unlocks confirmed in 2014?
It feels like they almost abandoned that idea after the codes were found too early last year.
Because they never released any extra unlocks for the deck packs.

But of course we could always hope the extra unlocks will be back in 2014, they made a huge difference in 2013.

There is a button in the options menu called promotional unlocks, that on top of various statements made in interviews have lead people to believe they'll still be there. I think they will as well, but they will probably try to do a lot better job of hiding them this time.

Didn't add any legendary Eldrazi as I still think there is going to a mill deck and that wouldn't mesh together well.

There are plenty of cards that could be included in a mill deck that would allow it to come over the top of the big three Eldrazi.  Hell, many of them have already been in other decks throughout Duels history.  Extract is one example, Jester's Cap is a better one, and Bribery is the best of all (and those are just the first three that came to mind).

True dat. They could still be there, as long as I can still make a decent flying beats version of the mill deck like in 2013, I really don't mind either way.
I just hope we get them in the form of extra cards again. Surely Wizards/Stainless will have learnt from last year and found a way to make it so they are not easily discoverable in the game code again.
*crosses fingers*
Avacyn's Glory is probably the deck that least needs some help, so here's a good, but a little bit toned down version of what the 10 promo cards could be:

Devoted Caretaker
Student of Warfare
True Believer
Bonds of Faith
Honor of the Pure
Silverblade Paladin
Ranger of Eos
Hero of Bladehold
Captain of the Watch
Angel of glory's rise

1 x Cavern Harpy
1 x Baleful Strix
1 x Shadowmage Infiltrator
1 x Consult the Necrosages
1 x Recoil
1 x Undermine
1 x Duskmantle Seer
1 x Sangromancer
1 x Damnation
1 x Consuming Aberration
I wouldn't mind most of these. The ones I personally want to see the most from here are Cavern Harpy, Shadowmage Infiltrator, Consult the Necrosages, and Recoil. Probably the Damnation as well just for the multiplayer aspect.

Some other random cards I wouldn't mind:
Desertion
Nightveil Specter
Undying Evil
Profane Command
Dungeon Geists
Pack Rat
Puppeteer Clique

I'm hoping the Promo unlocks are cards.

We'll start with that...
I'm hoping the Promo unlocks are cards.

We'll start with that...

1. They seem to exist in some form. (see screenshot in the other thread)

2. why wouldnt they be cards? I think if wotc made promotional avatars instead that would ensure a lot of rage.

WotC doesn't always show the best discretion in such matters. For example, last year's promo cards for some decks, but not for others.
If they exist I hope we get ten per expansion with each expansion decks starting with ten, twenty, etc.

assuming they find a way to not allow the entire community to get the codes, I hope they will allow you to unlock them for a buck so we don't have to go to any magic events If we don't want to. 
If they exist I hope we get ten per expansion with each expansion decks starting with ten, twenty, etc.

assuming they find a way to not allow the entire community to get the codes, I hope they will allow you to unlock them for a buck so we don't have to go to any magic events If we don't want to. 

Well hopefully the codes will still just come out and be usable by everyone without paying. All they have to do is make sure the codes aren't in the game files, or have a system in place that lets them decide when codes are actually redeemable. That being said the greedy little child in me just want to to come out as soon as possible so we can play with the full decks.
Avacyn's Glory should have Divine Intervention.
Maybe after the game has been out for awhile we could go to a brick and mortar store and find out Duels 2014's release date.  That'd be a wonderful promo unlock.
I hate to borrow too much from Rogues' Gallery but there were some actual good cards hidden in there.

Grimgrin would be great with all the cards that are EtB and then pretty much no longer worth much.
Someone else mentioned Sangromancer and I agree.  There needs to be some kind of lifegain and why not on discard?
Mask of Riddles can help those rats do stuff when they are on the field.  Also fits well with the deck's name, Masks of the Dimir.

As far as removal, I doubt they will give us straight kill spells or sweepers.

Maybe another way to steal creatures.  Bribery on that creature you just bounced, Mind Control, or maybe just another Beacon of Unrest
I would like a Angel of Glory's Rise for Avacyn's Glory. Mainly because that was the best rare I got in my 2013 toolkit. Well that and a Hellrider.

I hope there are no promo cards, because it's obvious they don't account for game balance when they add these cards. Some of the best decks got even better with the promos, whereas some of the worst decks didn't get much help at all.
I hope there are no promo cards, because it's obvious they don't account for game balance when they add these cards. Some of the best decks got even better with the promos, whereas some of the worst decks didn't get much help at all.

That's some pretty faulty logic.. Wouldn't it be better to fix the balance between the promos, than just not have them at all?

Also I really don't know which "worst decks that didn't get much help at all" you're talking about..?
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Also I really don't know which "worst decks that didn't get much help at all" you're talking about..?

Curious about this as well.

Also curious as to how anyone can remember what the game was like before they were spoiled since we only had about a week to play without them...
This would be pretty great for "Enter the dracomancer"

Dragonmaster Outcast
Terminate
Sprouting Thrinax
Lavalanche
Bladewing's Thrall
Thromok the Insatiable
Scourge of valkas (m14 card)
Doubling Season
Bladewing the Risen
Utvara Hellkite

Yes to most of this. Jus replace Thromok or Utvara with Bogardan Hellkite, and dragons might just become my favorite deck of 2014 (but it's far too soon to make any final calls on that).

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Scourge of Vulkas might be a bit colour intensive for this deck ( )

That's some pretty faulty logic.. Wouldn't it be better to fix the balance between the promos, than just not have them at all?

Also I really don't know which "worst decks that didn't get much help at all" you're talking about..?

Ok, I worded that poorly. All of the decks got good cards, but some decks did not need the help and got much stronger, whereas some decks were weak and didn't get as much as a boost as decks that were already good.

Goblin Gangland
Goblin War Strike
Goblin Assault
Goblin Chieftain
Goblin Guide
Warren Instigator
Siege-Gang Commander
Reckless One
Goblin Artillery
Goblin Ringleader
Arms Dealer

Obedient Dead
Grave Titan
Dread
Nantuko Shade
Phage The Untouchable
Hellcarver Demon
Massacre Wurm
Diabolic Tutor
Reiver Demon
Nightmare
Phyrexian Obliterator

Pack Instinct
Vorapede
Verdant Force
Incremental Growth
Genesis Wave
Obstinate Baloth
Dungrove Elder
Vinelasher Kudzu
Biorhythm
Avenger Of Zendikar
Primordial Hydra

Pack Instinct clearly came up on the short end of the stick here compared to GG and OD. I didn't even mention Crosswinds getting Bribery, a 2nd Time Warp, along with cards like Blatant Thievery which have made it the bane of every 2HG player's existence.

Dragon Broodmother is triple red as well, and I think she's going to be in most people's 60 (and rightly so).
But yeah I agree that the mana base in this deck is kinda sketchy. I think it might work out because of the cultivates, but it's one of those things were you have to play with the deck to know.

Except that it has been spoiled as a D14 card, so it is in the game, and I don't see it as being any use in any other deck, or even that great in sealed.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

Ok, I worded that poorly. All of the decks got good cards, but some decks did not need the help and got much stronger, whereas some decks were weak and didn't get as much as a boost as decks that were already good.

Goblin Gangland
Goblin War Strike
Goblin Assault
Goblin Chieftain
Goblin Guide
Warren Instigator
Siege-Gang Commander
Reckless One
Goblin Artillery
Goblin Ringleader
Arms Dealer

Obedient Dead
Grave Titan
Dread
Nantuko Shade
Phage The Untouchable
Hellcarver Demon
Massacre Wurm
Diabolic Tutor
Reiver Demon
Nightmare
Phyrexian Obliterator

Pack Instinct
Vorapede
Verdant Force
Incremental Growth
Genesis Wave
Obstinate Baloth
Dungrove Elder
Vinelasher Kudzu
Biorhythm
Avenger Of Zendikar
Primordial Hydra

Pack Instinct clearly came up on the short end of the stick here compared to GG and OD. I didn't even mention Crosswinds getting Bribery, a 2nd Time Warp, along with cards like Blatant Thievery which have made it the bane of every 2HG player's existence.

In PK I played 5/10 of those promo cards in my 60.

In GG and OD I played 6/10 of those promo cards in my 60.

So I really don't see the big difference. Some decks got better cards than others that's true (and is probably pretty hard to avoid completely), but except CW which clearly got a lot of crap and don't see any deck getting "cheated" on the promos. And CW wasn't one of the worst decks in 2013. 

Except that it has been spoiled as a D14 card, so it is in the game, and I don't see it as being any use in any other deck, or even that great in sealed.

That's fine, it still might be a bit colour intensive.
I don't mean necessarily to have in the list, but to include in the deck.

As Dragon_Puncher said though, it depends on how the mana works out. 

--except CW which clearly got a lot of crap and don't see any deck getting "cheated" on the promos. And CW wasn't one of the worst decks in 2013. 

Even if it didn't get as many auto-includes, CW still got Time Warp, Bribery and Rite of Replication which are all potential-to-probably game-winners.

I think of all of last years decks, Exalted Darkness got the all around best 10 promos in my opinion. Every one of them was a good addition.
--except CW which clearly got a lot of crap and don't see any deck getting "cheated" on the promos. And CW wasn't one of the worst decks in 2013. 

Even if it didn't get as many auto-includes, CW still got Time Warp, Bribery and Rite of Replication which are all potential-to-probably game-winners.

I think of all of last years decks, Exalted Darkness got the all around best 10 promos in my opinion. Every one of them was a good addition.

That's true. CW did have 2 copies of Rite of replication already though, making the 3. copy a bit redundant. But still, I was refering more to the fact that all other decks had at least 5 promo cards which was worth putting in your 60, whereas CW had only 3. It got some great cards, but just for the sake of variety in deck building CW got a bit shafted on the promos.

That's true. CW did have 2 copies of Rite of replication already though, making the 3. copy a bit redundant. But still, I was refering more to the fact that all other decks had at least 5 promo cards which was worth putting in your 60, whereas CW had only 3. It got some great cards, but just for the sake of variety in deck building CW got a bit shafted on the promos.

Still, CW is top tier and ED is, well... not so much.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

Still, CW is top tier and ED is, well... not so much.

Again, not taking about actual powerlevels of the decks. Think of it this way, even though Avacyn's glory (can't wait till we can just call this AG), looks like the best of the decks we've seen so far, wouldn't you be pretty dissapointed if it only got 3/10 promos that were actually playable?
Again, not taking about actual powerlevels of the decks. Think of it this way, even though Avacyn's glory (can't wait till we can just call this AG), looks like the best of the decks we've seen so far, wouldn't you be pretty dissapointed if it only got 3/10 promos that were actually playable?

Not really. 'AG' seems like a pretty reliable deck already. I would be disappointed if the promos for 'MotD' weren't any good. I'm just fine if it balances out in the end. The cards are just part of the deck, they are just acquired in a different way.

"Lif is too short."