Possibly an Obvious Bag of Holding Question:

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
I want to link two Bags of Holding together. I know that you cannot put one inside the other, but is there a spell or enchantment that I could use/put upon two Bags of Holding to link them, so as an item put in one can be reached from another?
Yes, and your DM shouldn't tell you otherwise. I don't know of any specific RAW ritual that can accomplish this, but it seems simple enough for the local wizard or artificer to do if you'll help him capture this flesh golem he built that got away...
Unless you want it to be a portable long-distance teleportation circle, your DM should be fine with the above. If that's what you want to do, he probably shouldn't unless your party is epic, at which point they can achieve the same with the correspinding rituals.

I'm pretty sure there's a magic item designed specifically for this purpose, although I can't remember if it made it into 4e... It was definitely in 3.5 - maybe in the Magic Item Compendium.

In any event, there's definitely precedent for it, and it was a fairly low-level item, too. So it shouldn't be a big deal unless you have some clever plan to try to abuse the hell out of it...

(About the worst abuse I can think of is a variation on the old "bag full of halflings" trick, where you'd have someone carry one of the bags into an area and then have the rest of the party climb into the bag outside and out of the bag inside the area, bypassing whatever challenges or obstacles were inbetween)

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Thank you all for the continuous "Yes!"
I didn't want to have my DM search for the answer, as he is quite busy right now trying to catch up to our progression through the Campaign (Unlocking impossible locks, bypassing creatures by chance, and our lack of argument) so we are about two weeks ahead of schedule.

Once again, thank you for your time and effort.

This being said, I would still like someone to post the specific spell/enchantment that would be required (since I don't trust D&Dwiki) as well as the components needed.
I want to link two Bags of Holding together. I know that you cannot put one inside the other, but is there a spell or enchantment that I could use/put upon two Bags of Holding to link them, so as an item put in one can be reached from another?

What edition are you using?  I don't believe anything stops you from putting one Bag in another in 4e.

4ed does have this pre-made item: Pouches of Shared Acquisition - Level 15 Common

Stupidly expensive (25k) and only stores 3lbs of items... but it does the job.

I would bring up this item and discuss it with your GM, see if they are happy to make a lower-level version.  Maybe make it an encounter-power or even a 2/day power to justify the cheaper price?

Yeah, I knew it was something like that...

And yes, this is a seriously overpriced item considering the limits of what you can do with it - I'd suggest you leave it exactly as-iis but drop it down to no higher than Level 10, if that...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

Its not abuse of the item idea, but the main thing I would do with two connected bags would be to give one to a trusted ally in a city and take the other adventuring.
Whenever you need something, pass a note into the bag "2 bottles of red wine" then wait. Ta Da, a short time later, 2 bottles of wine are in the bag. 
As long as characters can't actually get inside the bag and it's used exclusively as a shared inventory space, then I'd OK it without much hassle.
This is a genius idea that I might just have to offer up as a magic item in my campaign!!!!

But yes, as has been said, as long as it doesn't become a teleportation device for party members it seems like a fantastic item. 
Bags of Holding create an extradimensional space, as does the portable hole. Putting a bag in a portable hole or vice-versa creates an explosion destoying both items and everything in them (per 2nd and 3rd editions' DMG, and probably 1st edition too, but I don't have that one to check.) Bag inside a bag isn't specified, but I would rule it might do the same thing. (a dice roll.)
it's interesting to me that this came up in the forums, as I've got some kenkus using bags like this in the game I DM.  They'e just been captured by the PCs, and they use these bags to communicate with HQ.  In a mundane bag, they have a number of colored stones, and they use them as a sort of code: red, I've been captured; tourmaline, send back-up; etc.  Thanks to red-tanker for giving me the specs on the canon version.  Laughing
it's interesting to me that this came up in the forums, as I've got some kenkus using bags like this in the game I DM.  They'e just been captured by the PCs, and they use these bags to communicate with HQ.  In a mundane bag, they have a number of colored stones, and they use them as a sort of code: red, I've been captured; tourmaline, send back-up; etc.  Thanks to red-tanker for giving me the specs on the canon version.  

I created an item in my game, two small wooden boxes, about the size of a business card, if you place a piece of paper inside it appears in the other box and the owner hears a soft knocking sound in their head. Kind of like sending stones, but more limited.

It allows one of the PCs to share small messages with her mentor, an NPC. I mostly use it as a story device. During one game she sent a message with a person's name and a question mark. Later while she was talking with this person in his home, she heard a knock, opened the box and written on the slip of paper was the word "Flee."

The look on the player's face was priceless.
Bags of Holding create an extradimensional space, as does the portable hole. Putting a bag in a portable hole or vice-versa creates an explosion destoying both items and everything in them (per 2nd and 3rd editions' DMG, and probably 1st edition too, but I don't have that one to check.) Bag inside a bag isn't specified, but I would rule it might do the same thing. (a dice roll.)

4E did away with that, and also changed the portable hole to be just an extradimensional space rather than creating an actual hole (so you can't use it get through walls anymore).

Show

I am the Magic Man.

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

it's interesting to me that this came up in the forums, as I've got some kenkus using bags like this in the game I DM.  They'e just been captured by the PCs, and they use these bags to communicate with HQ.  In a mundane bag, they have a number of colored stones, and they use them as a sort of code: red, I've been captured; tourmaline, send back-up; etc.  Thanks to red-tanker for giving me the specs on the canon version.  

I created an item in my game, two small wooden boxes, about the size of a business card, if you place a piece of paper inside it appears in the other box and the owner hears a soft knocking sound in their head. Kind of like sending stones, but more limited.

It allows one of the PCs to share small messages with her mentor, an NPC. I mostly use it as a story device. During one game she sent a message with a person's name and a question mark. Later while she was talking with this person in his home, she heard a knock, opened the box and written on the slip of paper was the word "Flee."

The look on the player's face was priceless.

That's really cool; I like it.  Don't leave me hanging, though.  What happened next?
If I remember correctly she tried to Bluff to hide her surprise and it didn't go well. But the players for the most part talked their way out of the situation, convincing the villain they were representatives of a more powerful villain. And then they left, quickly ;)
Great idea! i would simply ask while sitting around the table if our party wanted to quest for such a item then its off to the nearest town and then to the deepest dungeon :D

Similar items have been created in every edition of the game.  Couple of spells too I think.  Sorry, I can't quote you their names (or components).

The real components though consist of;
DMs aproval,
Imagination,
Whatever spells/stuff/$ you guys decide are important to the making of said items.
You don't need a D&D book for this.  You don't need D&D Wikis....

But my 1st thought on this as a DM?
"Oh, you just want a larger carrying capacity.  But if I'd wanted you to be able to carry that much, then I'd have provided a bigger bag in the first place...."  
I think the idea and magic behind bag of holding is a small portable extra-dimenstional space where you are storing your items.  Wasn't there a gamer's movie based entirely on Bag of Holding, where all the henchmen were carried around in the bag with all sorts of items such as wood & food, and the henchmen used those surplus items to build a fortification in the bag and the owner of the bag had to go inside to get them under control...something to that affect. LOL.  I never seen the movie but heard it from my buddy.

It's obviously completely possible to have two bag accessing same portable extra-dimenstional space, but it wouldnt be practical.  If you lose one bag, someone else can access your items.  Probably why Enchantors who create these things don't make it that way...but I'm sure a special order to make two bags accessing same space is definitely doable, and should be allowed.

But does this mean you can place the two bag in two seperate place and one can walk in and walk out the other?  As DM I probably won't allow it but...

Order up!  lol
I think the idea and magic behind bag of holding is a small portable extra-dimenstional space where you are storing your items.  Wasn't there a gamer's movie based entirely on Bag of Holding, where all the henchmen were carried around in the bag with all sorts of items such as wood & food, and the henchmen used those surplus items to build a fortification in the bag and the owner of the bag had to go inside to get them under control...something to that affect. LOL.  I never seen the movie but heard it from my buddy.

It's obviously completely possible to have two bag accessing same portable extra-dimenstional space, but it wouldnt be practical.  If you lose one bag, someone else can access your items.  Probably why Enchantors who create these things don't make it that way...but I'm sure a special order to make two bags accessing same space is definitely doable, and should be allowed.

But does this mean you can place the two bag in two seperate place and one can walk in and walk out the other?  As DM I probably won't allow it but...

Order up!  lol

Not a movie, an ongoing storyline in the Knights of the Dinner Table comic. And pretty funny too, as the players now have to bargain with the denizens of the bag in order to retrieve items placed in the bag.

Order up!  lol

Not a movie, an ongoing storyline in the Knights of the Dinner Table comic. And pretty funny too, as the players now have to bargain with the denizens of the bag in order to retrieve items placed in the bag.

Reminds me of something else...

What were they called... ring-gates or something like that... where you could reach through one of these ring-thingys and reach out the other one. We had a set in our party. Our dragon disciple/barbarian would charge up and we would take turns healing him or shooting spells through the ring-gates he carried on his belt.

A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
Reminds me of something else...

What were they called... ring-gates or something like that... where you could reach through one of these ring-thingys and reach out the other one. We had a set in our party. Our dragon disciple/barbarian would charge up and we would take turns healing him or shooting spells through the ring-gates he carried on his belt.

Ah yes, ring gates. In one of my older games had a ring gate welded to my artificer's armor around the chest, with the 'exit' facing out. It was worked in so it looked like decoration, but had a small string hanging out of it. The other ring was in a wagon carrying our supplies. Also in the wagon was a ballista, loaded and ready to fire, pointed at the paired ring gate.

Pulling the string fired the ballista through the gate and into whatever was in front of me. Surprising, though difficult to reload. I think I had left a construct of some sort inside to reload it.  

As a dm I wouldn't even get worried about being able to enter the bag and go out the other side.  When you enter the bag you would have to wait until the other side is opened up and you are allowed to leave.  The downside is that your bag of holding is just lying on the ground on your end available for anyone to pick up.  I would think you might run the risk of running out of air as well as leaving the other half somewhere else and having to take the long route to get back to it and pick it up.