2nd Edition Reprints

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does anyone know what the insides of these books look like?  Does it still have the ugly red layout of the black books?   I'm not going to buy these things until I have seen what the insides look like.     I saw them today at the local bookstore but they are shrink wrapped.   I've even searched the web for photos, but I haven't seen any. 

At this point, I'm not happy they reprinted the black books.   I was hoping they would have used the original layout and artwork from the 1989 printing.     I can only hope they improved the interior design and layout.

Does anyone know what the insides of these books look like?  Does it still have the ugly red layout of the black books?   I'm not going to buy these things until I have seen what the insides look like.     I saw them today at the local bookstore but they are shrink wrapped.   I've even searched the web for photos, but I haven't seen any. 

At this point, I'm not happy they reprinted the black books.   I was hoping they would have used the original layout and artwork from the 1989 printing.     I can only hope they improved the interior design and layout.

They are identical (with some errata) to the 1995 black books on the inside. They are very nice books, but if you don't like that look/format you'll probably want to pass on these.
On the inside they are identical to the 1995 versions (the so called "black" editions) but with all of the final errata (as confirmed by Steve Winter in the latest podcast). Also it is printed on a very high quality ultra white paper which really makes the text vivid and crisp and the colors very bold. I found the paper on the 1995 books to be yellowish which kind of made the text look dull and colors flat. These 2013 reprints are therefore a lot easier on the eyes, but I agree with Quasadu that if you prefer the original 1989 version you probably still won't like these.

Overall, the 2013 reprints are of very high quality. The binding is very solid, the covers heavy and stiff, and the dark green faux fabric cover art looks really good. This is a book that will last a long time, even if it's used heavily at the table.

Even if you prefer the 1989 original, if you are a big fan of 2e I would consider these reprints to be must buys based on the extreme high quality of the manufacturing and the addition of all of the final errata. I'm holding my copy of the DMG right now and it is a quality product and I'm glad I bought it.
I also preferred the 1989 version of the 2e core rulebooks, but purchased these on the day they came out (proud to say I had the only copies at a brick-n-mortar store in the Fox Valley of WI). They look great, and the errata is worth the price to me. I also must state, for the record, that the 2e fans need to support the edition so WotC will finally see that it is not worthy of the past 13 years of negative statements they have given it. I am hoping for the 2e reprints to go the same way as the 1e & 3.5 ones, with additional books released (Tome of Magic, High-Level Campaigns, & Legends & Lore would be my choices to start), but I'm not holding my breath; WotC seems not to have the same level of respect for this edition than the fans do.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

I told myself I wasn't going to buy these as they were not including my prefered art or format for the 2nd Edition game: but then I saw them and handled them for the first time. I fell in love with the cover art for the premium reprints, and bought them. These books rock. Very high quality spine and covers. I'm happy to have new copies of Zebs D&D.  Thanks for that wotc. Smile