Getting back into 4e

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thinking about getting back into 4e after about 2 years away, playing mostly Pathfinder.  I haven't lurked on the forums for a while either so can anyone fill me in on the best way to get back into it.  I own almost all the hardbacks and essentials titles, and stopped subbing to DDI, stopped playing right when 5e was announced and after the essentials books came out.  

Can anyone fill me in on what I've missed, and if it's worth subing to DDI again for a few one-shots?

I feel like the essentials books made the game a bit faster, so should I stick to that material when DMing?

Well DDI is always handy if youre playing/DMing, what with the character builder and what not.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Grabbing the one month subscription and catching up on Dragon and Dungeon are worth it really, but there's no longer any lasting reason to remain subscribed for more than a month or so at a time. The errata files are free, so if you give enough of a damn you can always grab those at your leisure.

The essentials books didn't really make to much of an impact on speed, but it did help to smooth out some rules issues, so there is that...

Really, you can run a 4e game with just the oldest books technically, but the new stuff isn't too bad. If you're looking for regular crunch details, might want to skip on buying the Menzoberranzan book though.

Happy Gaming
Grabbing the one month subscription and catching up on Dragon and Dungeon are worth it really, but there's no longer any lasting reason to remain subscribed for more than a month or so at a time. The errata files are free, so if you give enough of a damn you can always grab those at your leisure.

The essentials books didn't really make to much of an impact on speed, but it did help to smooth out some rules issues, so there is that...

Really, you can run a 4e game with just the oldest books technically, but the new stuff isn't too bad. If you're looking for regular crunch details, might want to skip on buying the Menzoberranzan book though.

Happy Gaming

Thanks.  

Sign In to post comments