D&D 4 Rules Compendium... Is really necessary?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello! I have a doubt. What is the difference between the D&D 4 Rules Compendium and the Player's Book and the Dungeon Master's Book? I ask because I see that in the index of D & D 4 Rules Compendium that can see through the web of my country distributor, have many similarities with both books. Thanks
The book, the Rules Compendium, is not necessary, but it does present some rules --like the ones for skill checks-- better than the handbook does. It is mainly useful because it's easier to search through than the 3 or 4 other books that all the rules in it come from.
It's also smaller and lighter than those books.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
The Rule Compendium also has the updated version of a lot of rules, like the changes to Stealth and the modified way to run Skill Challenges.

Its the only rule book I carry EVERY time to a game.
So many PCs, so little time...
Thank you Alraune, RuinsFate and DaBugbear, if I understand well, D&D Rules Compendium is like a Giant Dungeon´s Master Screen, more or less.
Pretty much. With RC, you can leave the DMG and DMG2 in the car while you play or run. It has everything.
So many PCs, so little time...
Hello! I have a doubt. What is the difference between the D&D 4 Rules Compendium and the Player's Book and the Dungeon Master's Book? I ask because I see that in the index of D & D 4 Rules Compendium that can see through the web of my country distributor, have many similarities with both books. Thanks

If you don't have any books, don't just get the Rules Compendium.  Get the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide(and probably the Monster Vault).  The Rules Compendium contains the "basic" rules in good detail and is a great table reference, but it doesn't have everything you need to play, like classes and races to actually make characters.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
Ok, I understand. The D&D RC is a complement, not essential, but very helpful.

Thank you very much!! 

Thank you very much!! 

Correct, you've got it.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.

Thank you very much!! 

You can find it cheap on Amazon though, so I would get it. Its invaluable at the table. Mine has seen lots of use, its ragged. But hey, it gives the book personality and shows that it was loved. :P

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

The other thing no one has mentioned: Unlike the PHB, the RC has never been errata'ed.  There are plenty of changes that have gone on since PHB was released.  Some of those are feats, items, etc.  But others are rules based: the rules in the PHB about resistances and vulnerabilities have been completely revised, for example.  The RC doesn't suffer from that problem.