B/U Dimir Mill Standard Casual Budget assessment

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
So after a bit of a hiatus, I decided to try my hand at a casual Dimir mill deck, on a budget. So far this is what I have constructed. If anyone can provide a bit of expertise, please feel free to let me know what you'd change. Do keep in mind that I am on a budget, I can't afford high priced cards, or many multiples of mid priced cards.
Any and all feedback is welcomed and appreciated. Thank you all for your time:

I have these card on the way in the next few days to help me add upon it, or to use in other decks:

[deck]3x Fog Bank
3x Hover Barrier
3x Jace's Phantasm
3x Murder
2x Nightveil Specter
2x Psychic Spiral
3x Rewind
3x Spell Rupture
2x Consuming Aberration[/deck]

Prior to deciding on a Standard deck, I dismantled my old mill deck of a few of my precious cards. Since I don't do sideboard really, I planned on using it to hold a few of these cards to switch between Extended and Standard in certain cases.

[deck]
3x Nemesis of Reason
1x Wrexial, the Risen Deep
4x Hedron Crab
4x Belltower Sphinx
[/deck]
i would take out (or not consider adding) all cards related to combat damage. so, take out shriekgeist and paranoid delusions, and do not add nightveil specter or nemesis of reason

why? for a couple reasons. mill decks should care less about an opponents life total, you shouldn't need to touch their life at all. that being said you can also remove duskmantle guildmage. also, your relying on dealing combat damage to a player, which is actually very hard to achieve without being unblockable. annnd, creatures are more susceptable to removal then spells. the only way to deal with spells is to counter them, while you can kill, bounce, even tap creatures

to go in depth: you swing with shriekgeist and they block with ornithopter. you just wasted 2 mana so to speak. instead of playing the geist you could've spent 2 mana on a spell that would have an immediate effect that didn't rely on something like combat damage (like mind sculpt)

so...what should you add? for mill, i like to keep creatures for defense purposes, or abilities like on consuming aberration or vedalken entrancer. wight of the precinct six is fantastic, as well as jace's fantasm. belltower sphinx makes a nice defense card, especially if your opponent has some really big creatures

i would run 4 x mind sculpt, and tome scour over dream twist. also, instead of adding murder, add either death's approach or grisly spectacle

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
Grisly Spectacle for sure. I also like Devour Flesh in Mill decks because like Statue of Luberty said, you shouldn't worry about their life total and can also be used on a Consuming Aberration to gain absurd amounts of life. I love Keening Stone for mill too. Typically hard to remove and does so much work it's unreal. Balustrade Spy is kind of underwhelming, as is Curse of the Bloody Tome. I really like Increasing Confusion.

I also run a LOT of counterspells in my Mill deck. Basically counter or remove or Unsummon all of their stuff so you can stabilize and start playing your 5-6 cmc stuff. If you can afford Jace, Memory Adept you should play him. He does some serious work.

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

Thank you for the help. As soon as my cards come in, I'll be removing the mentioned cards and aquiring the one's suggested. I'll try for Jace at some point.
Hover Barrier and Fog Bank are the two I am most looking forward to getting, at the moment. Also, what are your thoughts on Rewind and Spell Rupture. I know I need to bolster my countering, so these cards were of interest to me. Since in Standard I can't use my Induce Paranoia or Perplex.
Am a bit sad to not use my Nemesis of Reason Those three have been staples in my extended deck for some time. T_T
Thank you for the help. As soon as my cards come in, I'll be removing the mentioned cards and aquiring the one's suggested. I'll try for Jace at some point.
Hover Barrier and Fog Bank are the two I am most looking forward to getting, at the moment. Also, what are your thoughts on Rewind and Spell Rupture. I know I need to bolster my countering, so these cards were of interest to me. Since in Standard I can't use my Induce Paranoia or Perplex.
Am a bit sad to not use my Nemesis of Reason Those three have been staples in my extended deck for some time. T_T

i wouldn't use rewind, because it costs too much and you dont need the untapping (you hardly have any instants). if you want another counterspell, just use like cancel or something. or even negate/essence scatter

198732583 wrote:
There's that Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker - he has a nice built in Mind Funeral.  Decent flying blocker too.

Just a thought.
Contrary to Statue of Liberty, I advocate "soft-milling", in that you use mill as a ressource (rather than a win-con).
So cards like Paranoid Delusions and Shriekgeist have their place in it (notably to buff your Jace's Phantasm, Wight of Precinct Six and Consuming Aberration which are your actual wincons)
-
Then again, it depends on what you want in your dimir deck. You can go FULL MILL like Statue of Liberty suggests, or you can go semi-beatdown soft-mill way.
Not that I'll be able to get too many, Mind Grind piqued my interest as well.
There's that Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker - he has a nice built in Mind Funeral.  Decent flying blocker too.

Just a thought.

i like to avoid anything relying on damage...for reasons posted below. mainly because it is unreliable, you might end up killing your opponent before you mill them (which is very unefficient if your win con is mill), and creatures are much more susceptable to removal

198732583 wrote:
Not that I'll be able to get too many, Mind Grind piqued my interest as well.

hate Mind Grind. It's an overcosted Mind Funeral. Don't play it.

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

I personally don't feel that in standard currently mill as your main wincon will work well, using mill to make things like Jace's Phantasm/Wight of Precinct Six/Consuming Aberration into large threats. Adding in cards to help stall+proctect your threats Mizzium Skin/Psychic Strike/Grisly Spectacle/Far // Away and/or milling with Nephalia Drownyard's to close mid-late games out. This is just my personal opinion though.
Made an edited deck for everyone to look over, please let me know what you think. I made the sideboard t oallow me to switch between straight mill and combat mill.

imo take out devour flesh and hover barrier and add in jaces
I would consider running Wall of Frost. Its ability is invaluable in a deck like this.
Storm Brain Freeze and keep Raven Guild Master safe with Mizzium Skin. Both are excellent mill in Dimir colours. You can even use Drift of Phantasms and Muddle the Mixture to tutor for either card.

3 Consuming Aberration 
Raven Guild Master
4 Drift of Phantasms    

4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Thought Scour    
3 Apostle's Blessing
2 Mizzium Skin
3 Brain Freeze 
4 Dismember
3 Muddle the Mixture    

23 Lands

I made this around digging up RGM and protecting it via Apostle's Blessing and Mizzium Skin. Breaking is really solid mill for you, and Thought Scour is a good 1st turn spell for you. The Phyrexian spells--Gitaxian Probe, Apostle's Blessing, and Dismember--are there to build a big Storm count for Brain Freeze. Muddle and Drift, as I said, function as a decent counterspell/primary tutor and decent wall/primary tutor.      

I like the suggestions, but unfortunately I am sticking to Standard with this one. I'll use them with my extended deck though.
In that case, here's my suggestions for you spells:

4 Thought Scour
4 Psychic Strike

All are pretty solid mill for Std.      
I forgot about that card, will definitely be trying to get me some of that card!
Sign In to post comments