Paul Atreides (PEACH)

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Moving this from Development to CharOp after someone said this thread would be better for what I am doing. I am looking to build Paul Atreides from Dune, since I have been reading the book and am intrigued by his character in the book. As for it being a 4th Edition build, I have these things pinpointed as musts for the build.
1. Human (could be something else if can be flavored back into being human, i.e. deva or half-elf.)
2. From Athas (read Arrakis)
3. a psionic class (Probably Ardent) 4. High Intelligence or Wisdom for his visions into the past and future. And good Charisma since he's a leader being a Lord of the Atreides House.
Has anyone done this kind of build before or is this a new idea? Any help on building this would be appreciated. MC/Hybrids with other psionic or non-psionic classes are welcome, i.e. Ardent|Fighter. (probably not a good combo, but alright for an example)

I am leaning towards Ardent as he is a lord, and very Charasmatic. His other high score would be Wisdom, which is related to the visions of past and future. His Dexterity, Constitution, and Intelligence are decent, while I'm unconcerned with Strength. (He can't be good at everything, and his 2 main skills give him what his Strength lacks). Is there any sort of way to give him re-rolls to give him the feel of seeing different possible futures at one time?
Sounds like you want Ardent, so go for an Ardent. Deva works. MC Warlord (preferably via Resourceful Leader) for Commander's Memory. Pick Seer theme. Beg for some Dice of Auspicious Fortune and Fortune Stones. For everything else, go for a reasonably optimized Ardent, and you'll do fine in most games. Depending on the optimization level of the game, abuse Forward-Thinking Cut, or don't.
Prescient Bards have a bunch of... prescient powers that you might be interested in. They are also WIS/CHA. Hybrids pretty well with Cleric, Ranger, or Warlord, and Ardent would probably work too. It's ranged, but I'm guessing you'll be fighting with a chrysknife (dagger) anyway, which you can throw. It might not be up to CharOp standards, but it would be a fun build that functions in low/mid op games.
Sounds like you want Ardent, so go for an Ardent. Deva works. MC Warlord (preferably via Resourceful Leader) for Commander's Memory. Pick Seer theme. Beg for some Dice of Auspicious Fortune and Fortune Stones. For everything else, go for a reasonably optimized Ardent, and you'll do fine in most games. Depending on the optimization level of the game, abuse Forward-Thinking Cut, or don't.

I think the Deva re-flavored back into a more human form and less deity would work well. I need to see the Resourceful Leader/Commander's Memory things to see how they work with what I'm playing for. The Dice and Stones will be found and begged for too. What do you get Forward-Thinking Cut from?

Prescient Bards have a bunch of... prescient powers that you might be interested in. They are also WIS/CHA. Hybrids pretty well with Cleric, Ranger, or Warlord, and Ardent would probably work too. It's ranged, but I'm guessing you'll be fighting with a chrysknife (dagger) anyway, which you can throw. It might not be up to CharOp standards, but it would be a fun build that functions in low/mid op games.

This Bard|Ardent seems pretty cool, and could work if I take Melee Training Charisma to use melee more often. The Crysknife would most definitely be my weapon of choice, using possibly a songblade and a regular enchantment off-handed. It's not going to be about Optimization, but more of a "I wanted to play this guy and if he doesn't work for 4th Edition, then I tried." I like to play fun builds, not over-played optimized-to-the-max builds.
What do you get Forward-Thinking Cut from?

Being a level 7 Ardent.
It's not going to be about Optimization, but more of a "I wanted to play this guy and if he doesn't work for 4th Edition, then I tried." I like to play fun builds, not over-played optimized-to-the-max builds.

"They tried and failed, all of them?"

"Oh, no." She shook her head. "They tried and died."
Thanks Mengu.

Gervase, what's the quotes from? I kind of like them. 
Thanks Mengu.

The novel, I'd imagine.
Indeed.
Thanks Mengu.

The novel, I'd imagine.

Shortly before Paul drinks the Water of Life.

Yeah, the novel, early on talking with reverend mother gaius helena, while still on Caladan. (If I recall correctly.)
Ah okay. I am nearly done with the first book, and can't wait to finish the other two. I also have a Bard|Ardent build going. Will post up today if I get a chance so everyone can see what he looks like. I did a 4d6b3 to get his stats, so I may end up points buying before playing, though it's not bad considering Paul is still young. 
Please use point buy. Anything else will leave you far behind the curve, feeling inadequate, or will leave us wondering how you cheated to get all those 16+s
Ah okay. I am nearly done with the first book, and can't wait to finish the other two. I also have a Bard|Ardent build going. Will post up today if I get a chance so everyone can see what he looks like. I did a 4d6b3 to get his stats, so I may end up points buying before playing, though it's not bad considering Paul is still young. 

Don't hold your breath. It's all down hill from the first book.
All we know is.....he's called The Sig
Please use point buy. Anything else will leave you far behind the curve, feeling inadequate, or will leave us wondering how you cheated to get all those 16+s

Well, just as you mention it, I changed to a points buy build. Here's what I have at level one with some of the items and feats I will try to pick up along the early part of his career. I gave him decent points in Con due to his being on an arid desert environment 

www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheet... 

No, it is in the beginning.

No, it is in the beginning.

Shows how long it's been since I read the first book.  It doesn't help that (as I recall) it applies in both instances, just a matter of whether the "she" in question is Jessica or Chani.

It's not Jessica. It's Jessica's instructor. Jessica wasn't formally able to talk to Paul about that stuff.
It's not Jessica. It's Jessica's instructor. Jessica wasn't formally able to talk to Paul about that stuff.

See first sentence of the post you're responding to. Tongue Out

Guess I need to dig it back out after I finish what I'm reading now, this is kinda embarassing.

Sign In to post comments