Unofficial sources in D&D insider

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Im both a player and DM playing with different groups of people. As long as we have had access to DnD insider it had been a generally accepted rule in both groups that we only use the 'official' sources making sources like Dragon and Dungeon magazine off limits. We havent actually explored the powers, feats and item from these sources much but have taken it more or less for granted that they are munchkin overpowered and unbalanced. I as a DM has adopted this view but seing all these cool builds out there using source material from these sources I find it hard not to. Also, there are no filter in the character builder where you can deny access to different sources. I want my players to make characters as cool and diverse as they get so I ask for advice from anyone that may have an opinion on the matter.. Should we stick to the official material for character creation? Do material from Dragon and Dungeon magazine tend to be overpowered and unbalanced?
Dungeon and Dragon material IS official.  It goes through the same development system as the books did, gets errata'd, and so forth.  It's no more, or less, unbalanced than anything printed in a book.
Im both a player and DM playing with different groups of people. As long as we have had access to DnD insider it had been a generally accepted rule in both groups that we only use the 'official' sources making sources like Dragon and Dungeon magazine off limits. We havent actually explored the powers, feats and item from these sources much but have taken it more or less for granted that they are munchkin overpowered and unbalanced. I as a DM has adopted this view but seing all these cool builds out there using source material from these sources I find it hard not to. Also, there are no filter in the character builder where you can deny access to different sources. I want my players to make characters as cool and diverse as they get so I ask for advice from anyone that may have an opinion on the matter.. Should we stick to the official material for character creation? Do material from Dragon and Dungeon magazine tend to be overpowered and unbalanced?

Forget everything you know about D&D from previous editions when playing 4E, even the idea that "if it ain't in the core books, it surely is broke" that came out of the 3.x era. With 3.x, even stuff in Wizard's books was barely tested, and rarely errata'd.

4E material is generally more rigorously tested, and received errata much more aggressive errata. There are very few things that I consider overpowered, and are usually only overpowered in combination. For example, I have a problem with the "charge kit." This problem is solved by changing two elements, the Badge of the Berserker and the Aspect of the Charging Ram. I don't have a problem with the damage of the charge kit, but I do have a problem with getting the rewards with none of the risks.

Both of these elements were published in books, not the magazines.

Thanks guys, that was very helpful. Ill let my players get to test out what out there and maybe ill convince my dm to do the same
Cheers! 
Moved to D&D Insider.
Sign In to post comments