Need help on casual white soldier deck

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have been looking for some cards that support all of my white soldiers. Cards like captain of the watch and crusade seem pretty good. Any suggestions?
Its alot easier to help if you post your decklist for people to see.
I used to have a lot of soldier cards with a decent soldier themed deck. Here are a few suggestions:

Raise the Alarm
Daru Warchief
Benalish Commander
Loyal Sentry
Soltari Champion
Champion of the Parish
Commander Eesha
Elite Inquisitor
Preeminent Captain
Gideon's Avenger
Darien, King of Kjeldor
Intrepid Hero
Ordic, Master Tactician
Precinct Captain

You might also consider some other form of creature removal
Path to Exile
Sunlance
Harsh Mercy
etc..

all in all soldiers can be really fun. The main thing is to set a goal to go for and be effecient at it. If you want to mass up the tokens with Captain of the watch/raise the alarm/ benalish commander then go for it. Preeminent Captain can be really good for a turn 4 Captain of the Watch. One thing for sure though, if you are playing a soldier deck you want to aggro and finish as quickly as possible. White weenie excels in being fast and building upon itself. You are very vulnerable to board wipes, but this is the risk you take when going this method. Hope this helps and happy slaying!!
Welcome to the boards, NovaShard!

If you run straight human soldiers, Angel of Glory's Rise can be fun.  

I enjoy Mobilization and Catapult Master in my soldiers deck.

Cheers! 
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
I'm at a real keyboard, now, so I can provide more lengthy, indepth feedback.

Harsh Mercy is neat, but backfires in tribal formats.  Martial Coup, perhaps?

Card draw; the deck needs card draw.  Outside of cantrips, though, white has little beyond Mentor of the Meek, and he won't help much in your build (a hoot with tokens, though).  There is also Armistice, but its activation cost may prove too disastrous and slow.  I guess you could also cycle Decree of Justice.

This leaves artifacts:

Skullclamp is ideal with tokens, but also serves as a bit of payback should someone try to kill a guy wearing it.  There is a reason why it finds itself banned and restricted in some locales, formally and otherwise.

Sword of Fire and Ice is one of the top pieces of equipment, which is why it is a $30 card in most places, presuming you can find one; happily, it is returning in Modern Masters, albeit at mythic rarity. 

Infiltration Lens works, but is best on creatures that opponents want to block.  There are not many Soldiers that demand blocking without further increases to their power, say via Honor of the Pure or Armored Ascension - the latter is awesome on the Fencing Ace, btw.

Illuminated Folio and Mind's Eye both cost 5 to cast and have activation costs, but are effective.  Still, with your deck, they may prove too slow.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
I forgot about mobilization and martial coup, both cards that i have and just could not remember. Very nice points. If I were you I would probably drop the celestial crusaders for honor of the pure as Kri mentioned. The trick is speed and you want to be as fast as you can. path to exile might be a better choice than harm's way just to get rid of pesky creatures for the low cost of 1 mana, but then i have never really used harm's way so i don't know how effective it is for you. If it works and you like it far be it from me to stop you. Other than that it is looking quite nice. Also some additional card draw would be beneficial. I am not really sure what to recommend for that as Kri mentioned white does not have much in that department. maybe Staff of Nin. I don't know I feel like I am really reaching here.
For the card draw, would Bant Sojourners or Secluded Steppes work?
Or Gempalm Avenger?
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Card draw; the deck needs card draw.  Outside of cantrips, though, white has little beyond Mentor of the Meek, and he won't help much in your build (a hoot with tokens, though).

I agree on Mentor of the Meek. I feel this list can be shaped a bit to incorporate him, though.

White's only other real options for card-draw is Tax/Rack, and that is not in any way budget-friendly.

Skullclamp is ideal with tokens, but also serves as a bit of payback should someone try to kill a guy wearing it.  There is a reason why it finds itself banned and restricted in some locales, formally and otherwise.

Indeed, the reason(s) being that in competitive settings it is just absolutely-broken, and in casual settings it will make you lose friends. I don't recommend this route unless your group has already laid ground rules for broken-ness.

Sword of Fire and Ice is one of the top pieces of equipment, which is why it is a $30 card in most places, presuming you can find one; happily, it is returning in Modern Masters, albeit at mythic rarity. 

Infiltration Lens works, but is best on creatures that opponents want to block.

These are good too, the Sword much more so. It's power level is very high, though, but not quite to Skullclamp-levels.

-

Furthermore, I'd like to see less 2-ofs and more 4-ofs. Also, your curve is too high; pick a finisher (4 CMC+) and stick with just 4 copies of that, then add more two-drops. A full four Preeminent Captain would be amazing for keeping tempo.

I highly recommend making the small investment into a playset of Swords to Plowshares. They're a few bucks apiece, and will go into every deck with :Wm: that you build that allows it from now until forever.

Lowering your curve to top-off at four or five allows you to run less lands, which allows you to run a set of the all-important Honor of the Pure. It is in the same scenario as StP: They are, fortunately, not currently in Standard, making them very affordable. A few dollars per card and those four cards will serve you ad infinitum...or until they push the power level again and print a better version ;)

Urza is my Shepherd. Planet Multiverse
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
I'd hate to accidentally walk partially into one.
Random Tolarian wizard's last words. ;)
Real life fact: I'm terrified of Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears... and bears that could potentially blink into reality through a time rift.
Also, I've made the move to replace Elite Vanguard with Dryad Militant wherever I can. Weenies doesn't need to recur any spells, especially Instants or Sorceries, and it just naturally hoses a lot of strategies you may come across.
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
Real life fact: I'm terrified of Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears... and bears that could potentially blink into reality through a time rift.
With card draw and some more removal here is my deck.

There are still some expensive cards because Preeminent Captain and Daru Warchief let me pull out big guys more quickly. Also, I could drop a plains and add another Mentor of the Meek if that would be better.
I think your 2 slot in the deck is weak, I would personally use something like Precinct Captain over the Porcelain Legionnaire. Paying the two life instead of mana can be useful but the Precinct Captain gives more advantage when the damage goes through, it also triggers Mentor of the Meek's draw ability helping out more mid-lategame.

You said that it is better mid-late game, but I'd rather not get there as this is more aggro based. Personally I prefer the Porcelain Legionnaire because if the extra power.
You said that it is better mid-late game, but I'd rather not get there as this is more aggro based. Personally I prefer the Porcelain Legionnaire because if the extra power.

Just remember that Porcelain Legionnaire won't trigger Mentor, and Honor of the Pure + Daru Warchief could pump your other 2-power creatures past Mentor's trigger as well. Precinct Captain's tokens, on the other hand, triggers Mentor's card draw easily and consistently.
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:

The amount of Plains you're running is just right. However, I don't advocate Secluded Steppe. Just know it doesn't draw cards; it filters them. It's real limiting factor is the "ETB tapped." Some may like its card-replacement, but I feel another threat/beater would be more justified.

I do second the sentiment of the list having too few two-drops. Preeminent Captain can cheat out big soldiers like Captain of the Watch, but it should be used primarily for quickly bolstering your troops. And if you don't draw PreCap, CotW is mostly dead-in-hand, as you will almost never get up to six mana and live to tell the tale. I'd say drop the CotW and Secluded Steppe for more two CMC creatures. You want a nice spike in your curve at two. Even Jotun Grunt deserves a shout-out.
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
One card I'd add, that I'm suprised nobody mentioned yet is Field Marshal. I'd replace the Honor of the Pure with him as he's easier to get rid of if the mentor gets "turned off" and you need/want to turn it back on, just chump block with it. Another good draw card(depending on how aggressive this deck is) could be Survival Cache.
One card I'd add, that I'm suprised nobody mentioned yet is Field Marshal. I'd replace the Honor of the Pure with him as he's easier to get rid of if the mentor gets "turned off"

The problem with Field Marshal is exactly what you described; he is too fragile. Three things make Honor of the Pure the best at what it does:

1) It only affects your creatures.
2) It only costs :Wm:.
3) It is an enchantment, one of the most difficult permanents to remove.

Turning off the pump just for Mentor is a bad game-plan. You want to keep the pressure on maximum until you pummel your opponent into nothingness, not turn it into a long game.

Survival Cache is OK, but it costs too much. Anything costing 3 mana should have a huge impact; 2 life + a card draw, even with Rebound, just isn't really worth it.
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
Well even if you don't replace the pure with it I still think it's worth adding, the first strike can be more useful than its +1/+1.
Well even if you don't replace the pure with it I still think it's worth adding, the first strike can be more useful than its +1/+1.

Now this can be incorporated.

If we switch the deck to full-aggro mode, we can cut the Mentors entirely for Field Marshal. More pump, and First Strike is very powerful en masse. It may seem counter-intuitive to cut the drawing mechanism, but with pump + 2/x creatures, the trigger is hit-or-miss as is. If our entire hand is puked onto the field in the first 3-4 turns, but if that hand was full of beatsticks, pump, and perhaps an errant PtE, we should be able to swing for the win next the combat round.
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
About the Precinct Captain vs. Porcelain Legionnaire, Porcelain Legionnaire is all colorless, making it possible to cast it for nothing with 2 Daru Warchiefs. Precinct Captain is all white and would not be affected by Daru Warchief's mana cost ability.
About the Precinct Captain vs. Porcelain Legionnaire, Porcelain Legionnaire is all colorless, making it possible to cast it for nothing with 2 Daru Warchiefs. Precinct Captain is all white and would not be affected by Daru Warchief's mana cost ability.

True, and if you ditch Mentor of the Meek for Field Marshal (just a thought), the power boost would be far more palatable.

On the flip side, Precinct Captain churns out 1/1 Soldiers, which, assuming you do switch to Field Marshal, get boosts from both Honor of the Pure, Field Marshal, AND Daru Warchief. Generating extra threats, all of which can get huge, is amazingly powerful.
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
Full aggro deck list:

This is full aggro, so I dropped card draw altogether. I basically just throw my hand on the table first few turns and start swinging.

The only thing I might change in this list is one less O-Ring for one more Preeminent Captain. Otherwise, this is an extremely solid list. Nice work.
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
Ghostly Prison might be a good swap in card if you play against a similarly aggressive deck.
1st off this is my 1st time using internet message boards so I'm not fully sure how to create links to a card like everyone else here so for each card you'll need to use the MTG card database if u need to find it. 

And 2nd I don't really play by any MTG gameplay rules aside from the minimum 60 card deck & max 4 of 1 card rule's, closest version is "Vintage" (Un-restricted) since my 2 friends & I love using "Sol Ring" in most of our decks (Even my soldier deck has 3 for speed).

Thou that doesn't mean I don't have a few idea's for a soldier deck, so heres the my card sujestions (in an un-linked format since I've let to figure this out yet), & yes almost all listed cards are in "MY" soldier deck but I'll save u the deck list for another time.

-Conjurer's Closet
-Chapion of Lambholt (a combo with Conjurer's Closet & Captian of the watch)
-Knight-Captian of Eos (if you don't like his abbility then check out "Pariah's Shield" or a creature with that effect for damage control)
-Elixir of Immortality (a near endless deck resuffle combo if 2 or more are used)
-Defense of the heart (can set you up nicely with a good creature choice, mine's "Avacyn, Angel of Hope" & "Blazing Archon")
-Nomads' Assembly (works great right after a "Marchial Coup" that was done with a "Gaea's Cradle")
-Catapult Master & Devout Chaplain (Thou the Chaplain's not nessesary if you're liking "Revoke Existence")
- & for that remove a non-creature/non-arctifact/non-enchantment moments a "Karn Liberated" fits nicely
Sign In to post comments