Keeping mtg club alive

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello,
I'm here to talk about our mtg club that is struggling to stay alive.

We are a new club ranging from 12 to 18 years old that meet up once a week and are very casual players. Now the problem arising is one, there is nothing to keep us going forward, and people are quickly getting bored and beginning to give up. The second problem that doesn t help, is the amount of money some people invest in the cards. This leaves them with naturally far more powerful decks, which don't improve peoples deckbuilding or playing skills as some games just become auto wins. Now both of these problems have led to alot of anger and people leaving, threatening our clubs existence.

Any help or expierence you could offer would be greatly appreciated, I have been playing for little over a year and have begun to love this great game, I really don't want to have to give it up because of nobody to play. Thanks for reading
in casual circles with deckbuilders at different skill and resource levels, I strongly advise widespread deck-borrowing. if you're playing against someone whose decks obviously all beat your decks, ask if you can borrow one of theirs, or offer to let them borrow one of yours. odds are decks made by the same person, from the same pool, are likely to be roughly comparable, so you'll get a good game and you'll get to try a new deck.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
You could try introducing pauper as a regular format.

Another idea that I thought of is creating a cheap cube.  Perhaps using commons, uncommons and cheap, thought not necessarily junk, rares.  I don't know how that would go down, but it's an idea that I would like to try if I had a group interested in it.  If the cards in it are cheap enough, it wouldn't be hard to keep swapping cards out to change up the cube every so often.  If I can get hold of at least one box of Modern Masters I'd like to sleeve it up as a kind of cube so it can be re drafted a few times, but you could do it cheaper than that with cards you have already.

Finally, the guys with the big budget might be interested in buying multiplayer sets like Planechase and Archenemy as they come out.  If they can buy all of the decks and sleeve them up they can then play them together with the group without power level issues.

Cheers
play repack draft, it was a fun thing we did back in the day at University. you all pool your unwanted, untradable cards into a random pool and then randomly seperate them into 15 card piles ("packs") and draft.

Its always fun since you don't know whats going to come up. And everyone can play cause its free. To make it interesting sometimes we would each bet a rare and then at the end we'd all pick one out of the pile (winner first) you'd usually end up with a new card at the end of it.

cheers  

<----- Loser.

play repack draft, it was a fun thing we did back in the day at University. you all pool your unwanted, untradable cards into a random pool and then randomly seperate them into 15 card piles ("packs") and draft.

Its always fun since you don't know whats going to come up. And everyone can play cause its free. To make it interesting sometimes we would each bet a rare and then at the end we'd all pick one out of the pile (winner first) you'd usually end up with a new card at the end of it.

cheers  

I like this; seems like a good way to get use out of cards that will otherwise sit in boxes for ever.  Might have to run this by a few of my friends and see if they would be interested.  Thanks for the idea.

cheers  

I like this; seems like a good way to get use out of cards that will otherwise sit in boxes for ever.  Might have to run this by a few of my friends and see if they would be interested.  Thanks for the idea.

Its alot of fun and it does bring the terrible cards out of shoeboxes. Playing this way can sharpen drafting skills for novice drafters and promote good game play to get mileage out of bad cards. and the best part is its free.

<----- Loser.

cheers  

Its alot of fun and it does bring the terrible cards out of shoeboxes. Playing this way can sharpen drafting skills for novice drafters and promote good game play to get mileage out of bad cards. and the best part is its free.

That would be good for me and my friends; we all have played sealed but none of us have done a draft.    Plus I tend to be a little OCD about deck building (my friends not so much) so it would be a good change of pace.

Edit: Sorry to the OP for slight thread jacking.  I think all of the ideas posted would be good ways to help keep your group going. 
Thanks for the good ideas i ll try some of them out this week, I really appreciate the help
Sharing decks is a great plan.  

From your post, I presume your group does lots of dueling.  Try larger free for all games, instead.   Many duel decks cannot compete against 6+ opponents simultaneously, so that may balance decks out. 

Good luck!

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Bring your own packs drafts can be fun. Each bring 3 boosters from your set(s) of choice.

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

Mix up the formats.  Try Commander or cube -- if you have some plane chase cards, that's a fun format as well.  Cube is convenient because once the cube is built, no one has to build a special deck for the format.

Also, understand that competitive formats are defined by extremely powerful and extremely expensive cards.  For WoTC to ban these cards, they would face massive backlash from players that dropped hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars to acquire them in the first place.  If a particular card is single-handedly taking over your casual games, don't be afraid to ask the player to take it out of their deck or to use a different deck.

In my group we've banned hymn to tourach, mirrodin and scars of mirrodin swords, dark confidant, force of will, gifts ungiven, and lots of others just because they turn the game into a dig for power cards rather than actually... well, a game.
I vote EDH, but as you can see from the price history of every card ever, not even EDH is safe from the secondary market. That having been said, when we've burned our the last Lotuses and Moxen to keep ourselves warm in the nuclear wasteland, Rhys the Redeemed and Nebuchadnezzar EDH decks will still see play. <3

In my group we've banned hymn to tourach, mirrodin and scars of mirrodin swords, dark confidant, force of will, gifts ungiven, and lots of others just because they turn the game into a dig for power cards rather than actually... well, a game.

Yeah, instead you have games where you dig for weak power cards, which is obviously preferable to games with good power cards.

I'm lost on how Force of Will and Hymn to Tourach lead to this, though... Aren't both of those actually solutions to the cards you don't like? Well, Force is at very least...

Yeah, instead you have games where you dig for weak power cards, which is obviously preferable to games with good power cards.

I'm lost on how Force of Will and Hymn to Tourach lead to this, though... Aren't both of those actually solutions to the cards you don't like? Well, Force is at very least...

Force of Will says, "you can't do that" regardless of board state.  We think that's too powerful.  At least counterspell requires untapped mana.
A single Hymn to Tourach can effectively end a game on turn 2.  Since we actually like to play, this has been banned.

We don't ban "power cards" so much as cards that play unfair.  Dark Confidant lets aggro play in a way that we think aggro shouldn't play; so, we banned it.  On the otherhand, we haven't banned BloodBraid Elf.  You see, jund doesn't have to "dig for weak power cards" because we haven't removed them.  We just got rid of the shovel. 

Your sarcasm comes across as elitism, btw.

Force of Will says, "you can't do that" regardless of board state.  We think that's too powerful.  At least counterspell requires untapped mana.
A single Hymn to Tourach can effectively end a game on turn 2.  Since we actually like to play, this has been banned.

We don't ban "power cards" so much as cards that play unfair.  Dark Confidant lets aggro play in a way that we think aggro shouldn't play; so, we banned it.  On the otherhand, we haven't banned BloodBraid Elf.  You see, jund doesn't have to "dig for weak power cards" because we haven't removed them.  We just got rid of the shovel. 

Your sarcasm comes across as elitism, btw.

While I don't agree with what you say, I'll defend to the death your right to say it! (Well, not actually).

I think meta bans can be a very good thing.  My group doesn't bother with bans but I can understand them.  The only issue I find, is that everyone needs to agree with it.  

Our group takes more the stance of deck borrowing/balancing.  If I don't have a deck that can compete against one of my friends decks (or vice versa) we borrow/lend one of equal "power level".  Another way to aid this is building decks of varying power; not every deck needs to be a T3-4 combo kill.  The main reason I enjoy and prefer this method is that it still allows me to run powerful (some may say "broken") cards that I enjoy (Hymn to Tourach, Skullclamp, etc.), without always relying on them. (Though I do seem to fit the Hymn into ever Black deck I make.)

I don't think either way is right or wrong.  These are all good options that can help you keep a group going, just depends on the type of players in your group as to which is the better plan for you. 
I think meta bans can be a very good thing.  My group doesn't bother with bans but I can understand them.  The only issue I find, is that everyone needs to agree with it.  

Thing is, if everyone agrees that a card is unfair/unfun/too good/whatever and shouldnt be used, then you wouldnt actually need to ban it since no-one would use it anyway. ;)

~ Tim   

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

Thing is, if everyone agrees that a card is unfair/unfun/too good/whatever and shouldnt be used, then you wouldnt actually need to ban it since no-one would use it anyway. ;)

~ Tim   

True.  What if they don't agree with those issues though?  Too an extent those views are all about perspective; example- the only reason I don't run Dark Confidant is I can't afford too, not because of any other reason.  Someone new could come to the group who does not think along the same lines (as the other players), but would have to follow those bans if they want to play in your group.  I don't think the Hymn is over powered, but if everyone I played with did, I would restrict myself to how much I use it (maybe keep one deck as my "I Win!" deck for occasional use).
Well, by "ban" I mean, someone in my grouped asked someone else to not use a card.  I used to put Hymn in all my black decks.  It frustrated some other players and I was asked to take it out.  So, I did.  I don't think my decks suffer all that much from its removal, but at the same time everyone is having a lot more fun.

And, in EDH we pretty much just follow the published ban list.  There's a few cards, like Sylvan Library, that aren't allowed (although, honestly I don't know why that one isn't allowed).

In casual groups it goes a long way to understand that different people approach the game at different levels and something as simple as just saying, "Ok, we don't need to use X-card" can make the whole experience a lot more fun for everybody.
Yeah I can understand that to an extent.  My issue would be there are some cards I don't want to give up; I'd rather someone use one of my decks that can deal with Card-X better then maybe any of theirs can.

I'm lucky that my group is pretty forgiving; I won't use abusive cards/combos in every deck I build obviously, but we also have peopel who run 4 copies of Channel.  Another person is making a Grindstone/Painter's Servant deck.  My point is, I think your right about looking at the group; I've just never played with anyone who has an issue with any particular card (though we have no DC, FoW in our group).  That said, we all try to avoid using our abusive decks too frequently.
This is non-tournament casual, right? Talking should help. Something along the lines of "There's no point in playing with you, you're deck is too good." should work as a good conversation starter.
our magic club just started having tournaments, maybe something along those lines will help? 

but our club hosted its own draft. people each payed $15, got your boosters, made the deck, etc. there was food, and like 30 people came. try playing some different formats, make things more interesting my mixing it up

the club in my school is doing well, but then again there's a lot of players in my school...like magic just got popular again (many people found cards in their closets and started to play again, then they inspired many new people to play). maybe magic just isnt as popular or well known where you are

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.