D&D News: Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
D&D News
Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle

By D&D Team

Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle is a D&D Next preview and mini-campaign comprised of four thrilling adventures designed to advance characters from 1st level to 10th level. The book also contains everything a Dungeon Master needs to run the adventures, including D&D Next game rules developed during the massive public playtest, monster statistics, spell descriptions, magic item descriptions, and background information on the coastal town of Daggerford, where the campaign is based.

Talk about this news here.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

This should eventually be made available, if nothing else, as a purchasable PDF.  I understand giving 'exclusives' to con goers, but after a reasonable time (2 months?) or something, they should be made available for purchase!
Here an article on Forbes www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2013/05/... 

And a FAQ about the adventure  wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/... 

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Digging the cover.
Love the idea; love the cover artwork. The GF9 mini is awesome. (I just wish it was metal instead of resin, but that's nitpicking).

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

Would love to pick this up . . .

Can't make it to Gen Con, so I'm out of luck.

Guessing it won't be for sale later on in the year either.

That stinks . . . 
Is there a larger version of the cover somewhere?

Looking forward to picking one of these up in August, nice to see them producing some new material (even if it all changes by launch ).  
IMAGE(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/SoulCatcher78/techdevil78.jpg)
Hoping for a pdf release later, a la old Game Day things.

And I'm loving that cover art. 
Shaman: "Why doesn't the squirrel shoot the wizard?" DM: "Because the last squirrel who tried to shoot the wizard missed, then was pulled out of his tree and incinerated." Wizard: "He has a point."
I hope it includes character creation rules and not just pre-made characters.
I hope it includes character creation rules and not just pre-made characters.

Mike Mearls confirmed on Twitter that it will have character creations rules.

@mikemearls A little more news on our first D&D Next product - http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Articl 
@redcometcasval Cool. Preorder plus free miniature. All over this one. Does it come with pregens or creation rules for characters?
@mikemearls Creation rules for basic ftr/rog/clr/wiz.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Wizards of The Coast, I would just like to say that for the first time, in a LONG time, you have knocked it out of the park with a new art style.  Very modern, with a hint of classic action.  Beautiful color, and very expressive.  That is one gorgeous cover.  Trust me, if you want to sell D&D Next, use this artstyle, and pay whoever this artist is, to do ALL of your covers.  Beautiful.

Does anyone know the name of this artist?  The Gale Force Nine website states the miniature sculptist's, name, but not the cover artist for the book.  I must know!
I guess you could say they're "playtesting" the new cover design?
Levels 1 through 10 in just 4 adventures?

Find a new Dungeoncrawl www.tenfootpole.org

Perhaps it was written by the other Monty? Mr. Haul?

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

That stinks . . . 

I agree. I'm actually kind of mad about this. I hate how the gaming community alienates the people they want to buy their products. I'm fine with people at the Con getting it before everyone else but not offering it any way to other people is horrilble. OF course they are pissing everyone off who likes playing 4 ed so I don't think they care about anything. I'm starting to get tired of the whole thing and I'm thinking of packing up everything.  
The art is indeed beautiful but what is with the obsession with giant weapons? They don't have to be ultra-realistic but sheesh, this trend in fantasy art in general has got to end sometime. 

I hope they make this a PDF after Gen Con because I can't make it this year.  
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />I hope they make this a PDF after Gen Con because I can't make it this year.  

I am fairly certain this will be the case, they just don't want to make people mad, who feel it's an exclusive.
Here's a question that I don't think anyone's asked yet. So, where and how do we pick this up? Do we go to GF9's booth or WotC's? Do we need a copy of the confirmation email, or something else?

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

The art is indeed beautiful but what is with the obsession with giant weapons? They don't have to be ultra-realistic but sheesh, this trend in fantasy art in general has got to end sometime. 

I hope they make this a PDF after Gen Con because I can't make it this year.  

The weapons are exaggerated so that they're easy to see and have an identifiable sillhoute.  Weapons are one of those things that are hard to make look realistic, because if you make them too small they look like toys and if you make them too big they look too anime. I think this cover's weapons are acceptable, they don't look stupid big, a little pronounced, but again its so you can easily identify them.
Here's a question that I don't think anyone's asked yet. So, where and how do we pick this up? Do we go to GF9's booth or WotC's? Do we need a copy of the confirmation email, or something else?

The GF9 booth, yes.  More information is at this website:  www.gf9.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=3903
Have the Pre-Orders already sold out?  When I go to add one to the cart and check out, it said the product is unavailable.  I havent seen any official message that the pre-order has sold out.
Have the Pre-Orders already sold out?  When I go to add one to the cart and check out, it said the product is unavailable.  I havent seen any official message that the pre-order has sold out.

I would try again; when I ordered I had issues as well, I think it was something with their servers.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

That stinks . . . 

I agree. I'm actually kind of mad about this. I hate how the gaming community alienates the people they want to buy their products. I'm fine with people at the Con getting it before everyone else but not offering it any way to other people is horrilble. OF course they are pissing everyone off who likes playing 4 ed so I don't think they care about anything. I'm starting to get tired of the whole thing and I'm thinking of packing up everything.  

This. I am already annoyed at the abandonment of 4E two years (at least) before a new edition launches and now I can't get the first official D&DN product even if I wanted to. The playtest has not inspired me but I would possibly pick up a product or two to see whether I want the final game and apparently I can't. Living in the UK, Gen Con is a tough ask to attend so unless they release this more widely I won't be buying. It's almost as if WotC don't want my custom. Serves me right for falling for all the 4E is awesome and will stay for 10 years stuff they peddled five years ago I suppose Frown.
So, has anyone heard about what sort of identity-verification will be required at the GF9 booth?  I won't be able to make it personally, but I have friends who are going and they've said they would pick up my copy for me.

Wounds Module [updated for Basic]

Proficiency Module

Love the cover.

Annoyed that this is a GenCon only thing though :/

-Havard 
So, has anyone heard about what sort of identity-verification will be required at the GF9 booth?  I won't be able to make it personally, but I have friends who are going and they've said they would pick up my copy for me.

According to the Gale Force 9 website you must pick your own copy up in person at GenCon and it is limited to one per customer. And if you don't show up at GenCon they plan to process a refund to you instead. You can have a friend buy one for you if they don't want one. It will be their "one copy". I think the idea stinks personally.

Margaret Weis Productions is also doing a GenCon exclusive for their new Firefly license. However, they understand that everyone can't afford to go to GenCon so they are willing to mail them to people after GenCon if they pay in advance. This is how Wizards of the Coast and Gale Force 9 should have done this. Especially considering that Wizards of the Coast isn't even having a real booth at GenCon!
Man, was I glad to see that FAQ on page one. I missed the pre-order cut-off date and started panicking that they wouldn't have any for non-preorders. Any idea how much the Isteval mini will cost by itself?

Edit: Oop, nevermind. $10. Just had to look for two seconds. 

According to the Gale Force 9 website you must pick your own copy up in person at GenCon and it is limited to one per customer. And if you don't show up at GenCon they plan to process a refund to you instead. You can have a friend buy one for you if they don't want one. It will be their "one copy". I think the idea stinks personally.

Margaret Weis Productions is also doing a GenCon exclusive for their new Firefly license. However, they understand that everyone can't afford to go to GenCon so they are willing to mail them to people after GenCon if they pay in advance. This is how Wizards of the Coast and Gale Force 9 should have done this. Especially considering that Wizards of the Coast isn't even having a real booth at GenCon!

I have never understood the mentality of "exclusive" content.  Early access, early exposure, free exclusive miniatures, all those are great ideas for things that should be at conventions.  But preventing most potential customers from getting your content?  That's strange and bizarre thinking for a business plan, IMO.

When designers are paid to work really hard on fun, interesting content -like this- it makes NO SENSE whatsoever to keep it out of the hands of most customers.  All content material should be sold.  Have it at GenCon for early play groups, get people excited about it.  But don't ever make content "exclusive" to a small group of individuals.  To me, that's just bad sales strategy and an extremely limited use of good material that can be sold to a much wider buying audience.

Particularly when it comes to gaming material and lore of the Forgotten Realms.  If you're a Realms enthusiast, you want all the lore, the content, the material you can get.  Make this available for purchase by EVERYONE, so it spreads widely and garners interest and more customers.

Encounters material is the same, IMO.  Those shouldn't be restricted to only people who can play at gaming stores.   It's completely ridiculolus to keep those so limited.  Make such things available to everyone, otherwise you're missing the majority of home-only gamers (which seriously outnumber game-store players).

WoTC have put some pictures of it on their instagram. Its quite beefy!

[sblock]

Yan
Montréal, Canada

I am hoping that they make this book available as a PDF minus the 5e rules preview bits. While I would love to check out the adventure in this tome the playtest rules are already out of date. So buying this on the collectable secondary market would be foolish. Hopefully the adventure part of this will be available for free on the WotC website (or as a reasonably priced PDF).
@Morrus posted pictures of Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle;

Yan
Montréal, Canada

I like the re-use of original art.  For some reason the skeleton in the water-room trap, always stuck with me when I was a child.

Does this say anything about their target audience? ;)