5/28/2013 Feature: "You Make The Card: Winning Mechanic"

131 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of the feature article "You Make the Card 4: Winning Mechanic", which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Oh boy, Revenge won. Enjoy your dollar rare guys.
DARNIT!
"The clown never dies" Helpful stuff:
Show
[c*]Storm Crow[/c*]=Storm Crow when you remove the *'s. This is called autocarding. Always use it. Always.
Great job, guys! This is an absolutely superlative example of an utterly terrible card! Let's try to do even worse in the next YMTC!
It's not like any of the top 8 were good.
It would seem the people voting for this card are not the ones that post on this forum. Oh well there's always YMTC 5.
The only possibility we have now for a card thats not a bad, bad unplayable junk rare, is if they determine that its underpowered and decide to tweak the card's rules text.

They could have it trigger if anyone discards, or they could change it to trigger when an opponent's cards go to the graveyard. Either change might make it playable.
Shocked that this won.  Can't see it seeing any play even in limited.
It figures that the guy who designed it only plays casual EDH.

Its not even good in that format, and even if it were, it wouldn't be played in a casual EDH format because people would refuse to play against a deck that wants this card.
Really, reeeaally unfortunate that Blood in the Watering Can didn't beat this down.  But, there's always a bright side: anyone who wants one of these things will be able to pick it up for a buck.  It might see play in casual EDH, the creator's prefered format, but beyond that it's going to need a metric ton of cheap wheel effects and/or instant speed discard to be used anywhere else.  And if a deck that uses this thing to any great effect should manage to claw its way into the spotlight, it's going to be terribly frustrating to play against.
Man, this YMTC failed pretty hard in everywhere it had the potential to fail.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I just don't get who actually wanted something like this to win. Obviously there is some silent majority out there that mandated this, but I just can't figure out what type of player it is. This card is extremely disappointing, and I really doubt I'll ever cast it.
Super Megrim FTW!
Obviously there is some silent majority out there that mandated this, but I just can't figure out what type of player it is.

terrible

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Shouldnt we wait until we see the cost?
I love this card.

Also been a fan of discard. Now a card that gives u an advantage...

Card draw, mana, or a 2/2. the zombie is nice as there is beef up cards available for other zombies. And is a creature type that always sees play. 

I just wish that R&D spent more time working in discard/card draw effects to black.

this card works well in R/B/U decks.

PS: I didn't vote. but I enjoyed both the final 2 cards. and still wish Eldrith rites was in it, would of won. 
Wow, guys way to support YMTC. Wizards must be so pumped at all this positive reaction they're getting over the contest!
It could have been a lot worse guys. We got a fun, flavorful build around card. It's not a constructed powerhouse but they can't all be Crucible of Worlds.
Well that's upsetting. I hope whoever voted for this isn't surprised when it gets printed as a turn 4 or 5 do-nothing enchantment. Winmore cards are boring, and should never be cost aggressively. If this is costed at even 1BB I'll be amazed.
If you guys wanted something good in constructed you should have voted for a green creature that makes tokens.
A great day for discard kind. I hope all those who've always loved the discard theme of Black, but never found a way to make it worthwhile, get to play this card to great effect. Kudos.
A great day for discard kind. I hope all those who've always loved the discard theme of Black, but never found a way to make it worthwhile, get to play this card to great effect. Kudos.

They will fail. This is not a card that will make discard good. It's just a bad Megrim.

Wow, guys way to support YMTC. Wizards must be so pumped at all this positive reaction they're getting over the contest!
It could have been a lot worse guys. We got a fun, flavorful build around card. It's not a constructed powerhouse but they can't all be Crucible of Worlds.

I honestly hope we never have a YMTC ever again. Democracy is terrible.
For those who are so dissapointed ... Hey, it is not "you make ultra super mythic rare card", it is "you make the card". What would you expect? Discarding card is soooooo painful for opponent. This enchantment makes it painful even more! Do you want enchantment like "When opponent discards a card he/she lose game"? Would it be still game? In my opinion magic players are becoming more and more spoiled.

I am sure that it will be ballanced card with proper cost. Wizards are going to playtest it and I believe, they will really pay attention to make it reasonable.

People, do not force wizards to make overpowered cards in every set, it would be rising power level with every new set and will make magic unfun and unplayable. People, please do not want to kill magic! Games which end within 3 turns really offer no fun.

PS: I am happy and grateful for chance to participate in small part of my favourite game. In fact, if wizards would not offer chance to participate on it, there would be less non content people. What a paradox. Somebody (wizards) gives gift for free (chance to participate) and receiver (non content players) is complaining. :-(
Don't blame me, I voted for Land. And Red. And pretty much every card but the one that won.

You're absolutely right. Companies tend to hate customer feedback. They prefer it when people just quietly resent them and act accordingly instead of knowing in advance. Improving their customer relations is not in WotC's interests whatsoever. Nope, nope, nope.

PS: I am happy and grateful for chance to participate in small part of my favourite game. In fact, if wizards would not offer chance to participate on it, there would be less non content people. What a paradox. Somebody (wizards) gives gift for free (chance to participate) and receiver (non content players) is complaining. :-(

Oh yes, I am sure non-Americans everywhere are overjoyed that they got the chance to participate in this.

...Oh, wait.

Gonna ignore the rest of your post, for fear of saying something that I'm not allowed to.
I hope they change the second ability. You opponent is most likely going to choose to discard a land, and many times mana is not going to be useful. If they discard at the end of turn or during the upkeep step because of Nath of the Gilt-Leaf, that mana is going to be wasted. I would like to see loss of life instead.

Also I feel like there is a theme of twos, so I think drawing two cards would create a nice parallel structure.

New Revenge of Necromancy wording:
Whenever an opponent discards a creature card, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield.
Whenever an opponent discards a land card, that player loses 2 life.
Whenever an opponent discards a noncreature, nonland card, draw two cards.
Well...maybe this will open up [CARD]Oversold Cemetery[/CARD] to be reprinted into modern.  That would rock...only half glass full I can come up with here.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Check out my set! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27691729/Set_-_Realms_of_Elandra
It's the new black version of Primeval Bounty from the M14 Spoilers which is the new green version of Druidic Satchel from M12. Weird.
:-(
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Hm, I guess it's an OK card from Timmy's point of view. I would suggest to make it "whenever a player discards" so you have a bit more freedom to build decks around it - seems the card would appeal to too small a demographic as it is. I'm not sure how much cards get changed in the rest of the process (this is the first YMTC I pay close attention to), but I would hope they make a few tweaks to make it a lot cooler.
Shouldnt we wait until we see the cost?

Thank you voice of reason, for all of you complaining about this being underpowered, wait until they cost it. If it costs one mana I'm sure at least 1 standard deck will be able to make it work. Mind Rot's in and Rakdos' Return is already somewhat of a force. Plus, is it that terrible if a card isn't good in constructed. Even at rare, I have heard no complaints as to the existence of Conjured Currency, a card that is almost certainly unplayable in all but the most casual of decks. I mean it isn't even good in draft. It's meh if you build around it. Not every card can be Sphinx's Revelation and not every card should be. In conclusion, if you're going to complain about this card's unplayability, at least wait until they cost it out of playable range.
But... I have used Conjured Currency before. Okay, its over priced, but you act like its a wood elemental or something. There are some pretty fun and at least slightly OK combos involving bouncing or flickering it.

As for this card, its only a worse Megrim if they price it like a megrim. If they price it super competitively suddenly youve got a playable card.
Hm, I guess it's an OK card from Timmy's point of view.

I think you have Timmy and Johnny mixed up. Johnny's the one who likes to build around wacky enchantments.
So my least favorite card (and arguably least elegant design) beat my favorite card. That makes me sad.
It's a well-designed bad card.  And we serious players get a lesson in just how big the casual world is.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Whenever an opponent discards a card;
 if it's a creature,
   create a 2/2 zombie token creature,
  or if it's a land, pull ,
  or else draw a card.
~Empty carriages filled abandon lots

throw it at one drops are hard to fill  ?
NO WAR

They've killed Fritz
I've been shadow banned by youtube my comments only show when I'm logged

does any see my comment here ?

Hm, I guess it's an OK card from Timmy's point of view.

I think you have Timmy and Johnny mixed up. Johnny's the one who likes to build around wacky enchantments.

No it's quite Timmy too.  Timmy wants to experience something, and turning your opponents' creature cards into your zombies is a fun concept.  Timmy is also the build-a-monster player who'll pile several auras on one big creature, and this kind of unlikely combo is his thing.

So the card is Timmy/Johnny hybrid, but probably more T than J.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Looks like the other magic personality "Earl" won this. Earl of course is the type of player that enjoys playing horrible cards that lose. Earl doesn't understand Storm Crow jokes, nor will he understand Revenge of Necromancy jokes.

I guess now we can both blame the players and Wizards. And yes, wizards should feel bad when they muck up.  Who's more at fault here? It's hard to say, but this card really should not have made it to the top 8 to begin with. I'm not at all surprised at the interview with the designer as it seems to reflect the laziness of the card. "I like zombies dude, and I wanted some other necromancy stuff on there too. I couldn't think of anything, so I just put whatever on there regardless of whether or not it fit with the flavor. Now I'm going to go blast one and play my Phage edh deck."

Really though, how did this win? 
I like the card. Build around non competitive card. You Make  the Card is obviously something that appeals to casual players, that are the MAJORITY out there. The competitive players should always remember that they will be disappointed in this kind of contest. Look at the past cards.

Forgotten Ancient was powerful casual card.

Crucible was better overall and leads to both casual and competitive decks...

Fade into Memory was hampered by the clunky cost.
So the amount of votes for each contest are auto posted in each part except the final? Seems like something shady is going on
So the amount of votes for each contest are auto posted in each part except the final? Seems like something shady is going on

Indeed where are the votes???
4. Can you describe your design process for Revenge of Necromancy? What served as your inspiration?

Well, I love the card Megrim, but all of my casual buddies say it is too unfair.  So, I thought "How do I make a card that's like Megrim, but you can't actually rely on getting what you need when you need it?"  And it hit me -  I would make it just like Megrim, except the opponent could choose to give you whichever thing you didn't actually want!
4. Can you describe your design process for Revenge of Necromancy? What served as your inspiration?

Well, I love the card Megrim, but all of my casual buddies say it is too unfair.  So, I thought "How do I make a card that's like Megrim, but you can't actually rely on getting what you need when you need it?"  And it hit me -  I would make it just like Megrim, except the opponent could choose to give you whichever thing you didn't actually want!

Wow you guys are really negative. the key is to discard everything ur opponent has. So sire of insanity, rakdos return, reforge the soul or whispering madness are all possibly powerful here. what did you guys expect a card that wins you the game when you draw it? Seems everyone is just thinking about cards which tell your opponent to discard 1 or 2 cards when we forget that cards like rakdos return and sire of insanity alone have already changed the metagame