PDFs of Core 4th Eddition Books

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase PDFs of the 4th ed. core rulebooks to play in a campaign a friend is starting, but I've been unable to locate anything other than magazines and supliments by searching around myself. It's possible I'm looking for the wrong titles, but I've been told I need the player's handbooks.

I'm not interested in either:

• Pirated copies of the books - I don't like the concept

• Hard (physical) copies of the book - I don't buy physical books anymore, particularly gaming books

Can someone please point me to where I can acquire a legit digital download of the books?

Thanks 
Unfortunately, there's not currently a way to legally acquire PDFs of the 4e core rules.  I was hoping that whey WotC began reissuing PDFs (via www.rpgnow.com), that the core 4e books would become legally available again. Unfortunately, there are only a few 4e books (and modules) that are, once again, available for purchase.
Check out www.dndclassics.com/ they are in the process of making products of all editions available as PDF. They have a few 4E products listed.
Check out www.dndclassics.com/ they are in the process of making products of all editions available as PDF. They have a few 4E products listed.

A few mostly fringe products. No PHB, Power Source, or Player's Option. I'm pretty disappointed at the fact that another 4e book hasn't gone up in ages.

You can get the quickstarter guide to the rules from there though, so it's not entirely useless to a new player! 
Its a slow process i concur. I wonder why there isn't more 4E PDF since 4E books were sold in PDF format in 2008-2009
Because WOTC dose not want money?
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
Probably because they don't want to compete with retailers who still have the books for sale (like my local Barnes & Noble).
Humm that could be why.
Humm that could be why.

Yeah. RPGs are sort of a niche hobby, and the last thing they want to do is get their retail partners mad at them. Especially since they're likely already mad with 5e being announced, tested, and going to be released next year - that has probably had a negative effect on 4e related sales

I don't know about you, but where I live there's no friendly local game shops anymore. Its either Barnes & Noble or ordering online. I personally don't think we'll see substantial amounts of 4e material in PDF form anytime soon  
Ah, right.

Thanks anyway... guess I'll borrow the physical books long enough to make a character then. 
Sorry about PDF situation.

However, if you want to ease your conscience, you can always get a sub to D&DI. All the info and tools to build and run games will be at your disposal. www.wizards.com/DnD/Tools.aspx

The only problem is that with the exception of the Dragon and Dungeon magazines (in PDF), the rest will be gone when you sub expires.

Since the splat books are not sold where I live, I took this option and it's served us well so far. Wizards gets some of my money and I get the stuff I actually need to play.
Its a slow process i concur. I wonder why there isn't more 4E PDF since 4E books were sold in PDF format in 2008-2009

It's because of piracy.  They pulled all their core rulebook pdfs after some piracy cases came to light.  Of course, whether pulling the pdfs increased their revenue (making people buy books) or decreased it (encouraging piracy) overall is an open question.  To me, it seems like cutting off the nose to spite the face, but without some hard data we'll never know.

EDIT: someone else mentioned it may be because WotC doesn't want to compete with book retailers.  I doubt this is relevant; other RPG game companies sell both pdfs and core books (e.g., Pathfinder, Shadowrun, etc.), without any problems.  It would be very surprising if WotC had discovered a better business model (withold pdfs for the sake of book retailers) than those other companies.
EDIT: someone else mentioned it may be because WotC doesn't want to compete with book retailers.  I doubt this is relevant; other RPG game companies sell both pdfs and core books (e.g., Pathfinder, Shadowrun, etc.), without any problems.  It would be very surprising if WotC had discovered a better business model (withold pdfs for the sake of book retailers) than those other companies.

I think they're more dependent on retail than other companies. Do they have to be? Maybe not, but under the current model, they definitely are. Its probably more Hasbro than anything else. 
Sign In to post comments