5/24/2013 LD: "Drafting Sideways"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Everyone loves sideways draft strategies, but I wanted to chime in and say that the ones based on commons are WAY better than the ones based around uncommons. There was nothing more frustrating, for example, than trying to draft Furnace Celebration in Scars block and just never seeing a second Celebration. You wind up with a deck that's good if you draw your one copy of Celebration, and otherwise sucks.

(I think Celebration stuck out particularly because there were so few viable archetypes in Scars, either primary or "sideways," that it was being forced to carry a lot of weight.)

Also of note: A ton of those popular "sideways" strategy enablers are from Innistrad, which also happens to have been an incredibly popular draft environment. Coincidence?
..the ones based on commons are WAY better than the ones based around uncommons..

This. I remember how hard it was to get that mill deck with Stern Mentor going.

But I was going to say is that in the future, if you want to create "sideway" strategies,
make sure the cards for that are no top tier picks for everyone else, too.
I can't get more than 5 gates in my drafts, even if I pick any colors, over anything.
Getting a Maze's End off is impossible.
Also of note: A ton of those popular "sideways" strategy enablers are from Innistrad, which also happens to have been an incredibly popular draft environment. Coincidence?

A lot are from RoE as well, another popular draft format, and my personal favorite. People like these strategies, they are fun and exciting and give a great deal of depth to a format.
..the ones based on commons are WAY better than the ones based around uncommons..

This. I remember how hard it was to get that mill deck with Stern Mentor going.

But I was going to say is that in the future, if you want to create "sideway" strategies,
make sure the cards for that are no top tier picks for everyone else, too.
I can't get more than 5 gates in my drafts, even if I pick any colors, over anything.
Getting a Maze's End off is impossible.

I don't think Maze's end is intended to work in DGR draft...

Myths of Theros: Part 1, Part 2, Born of the Gods Myths

Beta Client, "Shiny", V4.0 tutorial

Momir Basic Primer

I don't think Maze's end is intended to work in DGR draft...

Well, duh, but it would have been nice. Because it's not working anywhere else either.
Does Teleportal count as a draft-around-me, or is it too conventionally powerful?

A lot are from RoE as well, another popular draft format, and my personal favorite. People like these strategies, they are fun and exciting and give a great deal of depth to a format.

+1. That was one of the many things that made me love Eldrazi draft so much. If only we'd gotten a second set of it!
Sign In to post comments