Magic 2014 "Chant of Mul Daya" Decklist and Strategies

1630 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dramatic entrance could be fun in the all green version but im not sure what spot it could take currently. Maybe i'll swap it in for the empath just to play with it.
Dramatic entrance could be fun in the all green version but im not sure what spot it could take currently. Maybe i'll swap it in for the empath just to play with it.

I think it will shine brightest while using empath.  I'm going to test it again when we get a 2nd empath.  Still, running empath doesn't mean you will draw entrance.  It would be a sweet combo though.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Could anyone plz link a good build for 2HG? :D
add me on steam =) highzenborg
So, this is what I am running in 1-vs-1 at the moment. I really tried to make the Gladeharts work. I really like them (landfall is a great ability), but in the end I had to cut them. They were getting in the way. Anyway, here it is:

erdana; font-size:12px; border-collapse:collapse" cellspacing="0" border="0">

1v1"They Might Be Giants"

A library for the Mul Daya 2014 deck (Chant of the Mul Daya)

60 Cards. 35 nonlands (14 creatures, 21 spells). 25 Lands (25).

erdana; font-size:12px; border:1px solid #595c3d; border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left" cellspacing="0" border="0">
 Creature 14 cards 
   cost  ■■■ Oracle of Mul Daya  2/2   
   cost  ■■ Woodborn Behemoth  4/4   
   cost  ■■ Primeval Titan  6/6   
 Vigor  6/6   
   cost   Avenger of Zendikar  5/5   
■■■ Pelakka Wurm  7/7   
   cost  ■■ Artisan of Kozilek  10/9   
 Spell 21 cards 
   cost  ■■■■ Explore   
■■■■ Khalni Heart Expedition   
■■■■ Rampant Growth   
■■ Tangle   
   cost   Harmonize   
   cost   Summoning Trap   
   cost  ■■ All Is Dust   
 Tooth and Nail   
 [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m]  cost  ■■ Green Sun's Zenith  [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m] 

erdana; font-size:9px">Read about MysteriousMisterP's deck planner.
Open this library in the planner.

Unused (36 cards)
   2x Bountiful Harvest
   1x Dramatic Entrance
   2x Eldrazi Conscription
   2x Elvish Piper
   2x Exploration
   1x Eye of Ugin
   4x Farhaven Elf
   1x Fierce Empath
   4x Grazing Gladehart
   2x Into the Wilds
   2x It That Betrays
   1x Pathrazer of Ulamog
   1x Plow Under
   1x Rites of Flourishing
   1x Scute Mob
   2x Sporemound
   1x Summoning Trap
   2x Terastodon
   2x Ulamog's Crusher
   1x Vastwood Hydra
   1x Vengevine

Locked promos (4 cards)
   1x All Is Dust
   1x Fierce Empath
   1x Gaea's Revenge
   1x Primeval Titan

I'm not running the Elves, I like the cheaper ramp better. I'm wondering if I should put them in for one of the other ramp cards though. If I did, what would you guys recommend I swap out, out of Rampant Growth and Explore? I really like the Expeditions, so they are staying.

When the rest of the promos come, I will be swapping out Summoning Trap and one of the Wurms for Gaea's Revenge and the last Prime Time.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

Could anyone plz link a good build for 2HG? :D

Look at mine above, The Vigor can be anything you want (until we get the 3rd titan)
Against the top decks though a removal spell on the Gladehart plus there attack is usually too much for you to recover. I don't mind them killing Oracle because usually I have played my extra land and am ready for Titan or similar on turn 4.

Ahh is that what they are doing.  So they basically dilute your deck if you unloc them all - you have a 90 card deck.  Thanks for replying.

You are welcome but you quoted the wrong post :P

oops, thanks anyway though

Dramatic Entrance seems like a poor way of 2 for 1ing yourself unless you successfully use it as a surprise blocker. I'd sooner run both Summoning Traps before running the former. You don't 2-1 yourself and it still has a good chance to hit a big creature and at instant speed.
Entrance is just an invisible Piper; great when it works, but not worth the slot.
100 % agree entrance doesn't make it
Because the mana discount is going to be rarely relevant in a deck like this, the absolute best thing this card can accomplish is EOT flashing in an Avenger or a stampede of elephants for a surprise alpha. 

How often that will come up/be relevant should be your question before deciding to waste a slot on this.

My answer is, Garruk, Caller of Beasts or GTFO.  
You all make some valid points, perhaps it isn't worth including.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

I have some fond memories of Stampede of Elephants from the early days of this release, but I haven't had him hit the field even once since we got the Avenger.

I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to find room for him in the deck once we get Gaea's Revenge and the third Titan.

EDIT: On second thought, permanent destruction is situationally handy, and I haven't needed double Wurm in a dog's age, either. 1 Wurm 1 Elephant might be the way to go.
I'm not running the Elves, I like the cheaper ramp better. I'm wondering if I should put them in for one of the other ramp cards though. If I did, what would you guys recommend I swap out, out of Rampant Growth and Explore? I really like the Expeditions, so they are staying.

Okay, so I swapped in the Elves for the Rampant Growths and the extra chump has been helpful.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

Okay, so I swapped in the Elves for the Rampant Growths and the extra chump has been helpful.

Elves have turned out to be great little utilitarians. As stated before Vigor really makes things sweet on the Elves.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

As for Khalni Heart Expedition:

It can be dangerous to run these over other ramp spells, and in most cases, getting 2 lands instead of 1 isn't needed. If you draw them in multiples, you could get mana screwed at 4 lands out and 2 quest counters on the expedition you played turn 2. If even one of them was any other ramp spell, you'd have the mana for Primeval Titan or Green Sun's Zenith to get aforementioned Titan instead of being stuck on 4 lands.

What can also happen is that you draw one after turn 2 and get mana screwed at 5 lands. If that Khalni Heart Expedition was any other ramp spell, you'd have been fine.

So then, the best case scenario is that you only draw one and play it on turn 2. In that case, if you have enough ramp to get to 5, you can pop it and have 7 lands (instead of the 6 you would have with any other other ramp spell).  So the card can be helpful.. but it's a gamble, and it's only needed if you have Green Sun's Zenith in hand but no Primeval Titan. Or if you really need to play a 7-cost spell, like All Is Dust, that turn.

So.. All in all, I think the downsides of the card outway the upsides. But you can take away half of the downside (the drawing multiples one) by just only having 1 Khalni Heart Expedition in your deck. Again, not great if you draw it after turn 2, but sometimes you really need 7 mana instead of 6, so it's a trade-off.

tl;dr - run either 0 or 1 Khalni Heart Expedition.

I have some fond memories of Stampede of Elephants from the early days of this release, but I haven't had him hit the field even once since we got the Avenger.

I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to find room for him in the deck once we get Gaea's Revenge and the third Titan.

Eldrazi Conscription
Pacifism
Pariah
Sulfuric Vortex
Furnace of Rath
Honor of the Pure
Oblivion Ring
Martyr's Bond
Claustrophobia
Grave Pact

There's more, but those are probably the most dangerous threats Terrastodon can deal with. All Is Dust can deal with them, but you can't tutor it. That's why I run one Terrastodon.
Hi! I run a YouTube channel at YouTube.com/user/NemosChannel. I upload Duels of the Planeswalkers gameplay, deckbuilds, and even Tier List videos. It's the best place for strategy and silly humor. Drop by and see!

It can be dangerous to run these over other ramp spells, and in most cases, getting 2 lands instead of 1 isn't needed. If you draw them in multiples, you could get mana screwed at 4 lands out and 2 quest counters on the expedition you played turn 2. If even one of them was any other ramp spell, you'd have the mana for Primeval Titan or Green Sun's Zenith to get aforementioned Titan instead of being stuck on 4 lands.

What can also happen is that you draw one after turn 2 and get mana screwed at 5 lands. If that Khalni Heart Expedition was any other ramp spell, you'd have been fine.

So then, the best case scenario is that you play one turn 2. In that case, if you have enough ramp to get to 5, you can pop it and have 7 lands. If you had any other ramp spell instead you would have been at 6 lands. So the card can be helpful.. but it's a gamble, and it's only needed if you have Green Sun's Zenith in hand but no Primeval Titan. Or if you really need to play a 7-cost spell, like All Is Dust, that turn.

So.. All in all, I think the downsides of the card outway the upsides. But you can take away half of the downside (the drawing multiples one) by just only having 1 Khalni Heart Expedition in your deck. Again, not great if you draw it after turn 2, but sometimes you really need 7 mana instead of 6, so it's a trade-off.

Eldrazi Conscription
Pacifism
Pariah
Sulfuric Vortex
Furnace of Rath
Dire Undercurrents
Honor of the Pure
Oblivion Ring
Martyr's Bond
Claustrophobia
Grave Pact

There's more, but those are probably the most dangerous threats Terrastodon can deal with. All Is Dust can deal with them, but you can't tutor it. That's why I run one Terrastodon.

Some dude just did spirit mantle+pariah on my creature and I had no  Elephants in my deck! I had the all is dusts but couldn't draw them... I had 150+ power worth of attackers with avenger plants but couldn't do jack ****, lol. 
add me on steam =) highzenborg
This is my list at the moment.

"Starter"

60 Cards. 34 nonlands (18 creatures, 16 spells). 26 Lands (25; 1 other).

Creatures 7 cards 
   cost   Vigor  6/6   
■■■ Pelakka Wurm  7/7   
 Removal 1 card 
   cost   Terastodon  9/9   
 Sweeper 2 cards 
   cost  ■■ All Is Dust   
 Fetch 5 cards 
 Land  Eye of Ugin  Land 
   cost   Fierce Empath  1/1   
   cost   Tooth and Nail   
 [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m]  cost  ■■ Green Sun's Zenith  [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m] 
 Utility 3 cards 
   cost  ■■ Tangle   
   cost   Harmonize   
 Land 17 cards 
   cost  ■■■■ Explore   
■■■■ Rampant Growth   
   cost  ■■■■ Farhaven Elf  1/1   

Sideboard (35 cards)
   2x Bountiful Harvest
   2x Eldrazi Conscription
   2x Elvish Piper
   2x Exploration
   4x Grazing Gladehart
   2x Into the Wilds
   2x It That Betrays
   4x Khalni Heart Expedition
   1x Pathrazer of Ulamog
   1x Plow Under
   1x Rites of Flourishing
   1x Scute Mob
   2x Sporemound
   2x Summoning Trap
   1x Terastodon
   2x Ulamog's Crusher
   1x Vastwood Hydra
   1x Vengevine
   2x Woodborn Behemoth
Locked promos (5 cards)
   1x All Is Dust
   1x Dramatic Entrance
   1x Fierce Empath
   1x Gaea's Revenge
   1x Primeval Titan

What an inventive way to turn an already good deck into a great deck.  Its very fun to play.  However how do you get the Avenger of Zendikar and Harmonize?  I have the deck fully unlocked but they are not options.

I may even go and build this deck in real-life, its great.
This is my list at the moment.

"Starter"

60 Cards. 34 nonlands (18 creatures, 16 spells). 26 Lands (25; 1 other).

Creatures 7 cards 
   cost   Vigor  6/6   
■■■ Pelakka Wurm  7/7   
 Removal 1 card 
   cost   Terastodon  9/9   
 Sweeper 2 cards 
   cost  ■■ All Is Dust   
 Fetch 5 cards 
 Land  Eye of Ugin  Land 
   cost   Fierce Empath  1/1   
   cost   Tooth and Nail   
 Utility 3 cards 
   cost  ■■ Tangle   
   cost   Harmonize   
 Land 17 cards 
   cost  ■■■■ Explore   
■■■■ Rampant Growth   
   cost  ■■■■ Farhaven Elf  1/1   

Sideboard (35 cards)
   2x Bountiful Harvest
   2x Eldrazi Conscription
   2x Elvish Piper
   2x Exploration
   4x Grazing Gladehart
   2x Into the Wilds
   2x It That Betrays
   4x Khalni Heart Expedition
   1x Pathrazer of Ulamog
   1x Plow Under
   1x Rites of Flourishing
   1x Scute Mob
   2x Sporemound
   2x Summoning Trap
   1x Terastodon
   2x Ulamog's Crusher
   1x Vastwood Hydra
   1x Vengevine
   2x Woodborn Behemoth
Locked promos (5 cards)
   1x All Is Dust
   1x Dramatic Entrance
   1x Fierce Empath
   1x Gaea's Revenge
   1x Primeval Titan

What an inventive way to turn an already good deck into a great deck.  Its very fun to play.  However how do you get the Avenger of Zendikar and Harmonize?  I have the deck fully unlocked but they are not options.

I may even go and build this deck in real-life, its great.

You need the promo codes then. Btw I miss the shiny promos of the last game. Dunno why they took that out.

How do you get digital promos?  Only ones I can see are for physical boosters from within the ipad.
How do you get digital promos?  Only ones I can see are for physical boosters from within the ipad.

I don't want to be rude but there's multiple topics about the promos and the codes are in them....and some are on the 1st page...

www.community.wizards.com/go/thread/view...

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

My bad it seems they have moved off the 1st page.

That's why I get annoyed when I see another "this game sucks, I'm outta here" thread.

Show

The promo list thread is also linked in my decklist and strategies sticky which stays on top and tends to get looked over for some odd reason.

Noted and thanks.
I know this thread is mainly for discussion about the deck and builds, but I just wanted to share a very satisfying win against an MM player.

This will sound like pure fantasy, but I swear it happened and I still feel weird about it.

I keep a risky starting hand, consisting of: Forest x 3, Exploration(which I don't run anymore), Farhaven Elf, Summoning Trap, Eldrazi Conscription - figuring I can draw a forest and a ramp spell "soonish" to get off a Summoning trap.

MM goes first, and plays Island, go.

I draw my second Summoning Trap, play standard Forest,Exploration,Forest, go.

MM goes island, go.

I draw a Forest (so far so good), play Forest,Forest, Farhaven Elf - and wait for it... he counters it with counterspell!!!!!!! So I play Summoning Trap, Summoning Trap, and I get BOTH Primeval Titan into play, adding 4 Forest to the table. My hand is now only the Eldrazi Conscription and I pass the turn.

MM goes Island, Lord of the Unreal, go.

I draw a Forest, and even though Unsummon would ruin it, I figure I go for it. Enchant with Eldrazi Conscription and swing, he sacs 2 Island, blocks and dies to 20 damage.

Like I said, it felt like a dream scenario.
I know this thread is mainly for discussion about the deck and builds, but I just wanted to share a very satisfying win against an MM player.

This will sound like pure fantasy, but I swear it happened and I still feel weird about it.

I keep a risky starting hand, consisting of: Forest x 3, Exploration(which I don't run anymore), Farhaven Elf, Summoning Trap, Eldrazi Conscription - figuring I can draw a forest and a ramp spell "soonish" to get off a Summoning trap...

That sounds like it was an absolutely awesome match. But I wouldn't call that a risky starting hand. In fact I'd call it a pretty decent starting hand.

"Lif is too short."

I forgot the tongue in cheek emoticon when I called it risky. The only risk I could see, was if I got stuck on 4 lands, that rarely happens with that much land and ramp. And opening with a potential instant blocker or end-of-turn fatty in turn 4-5, is as you said: decent.

So then, the best case scenario is that you play one turn 2. In that case, if you have enough ramp to get to 5, you can pop it and have 7 lands. If you had any other ramp spell instead you would have been at 6 lands. So the card can be helpful.. but it's a gamble, and it's only needed if you have Green Sun's Zenith in hand but no Primeval Titan. Or if you really need to play a 7-cost spell, like All Is Dust, that turn.

Eldrazi Conscription
Pacifism
Pariah
Sulfuric Vortex
Furnace of Rath
Dire Undercurrents
Honor of the Pure
Oblivion Ring
Martyr's Bond
Claustrophobia
Grave Pact

Some dude just did spirit mantle+pariah on my creature and I had no  Elephants in my deck! I had the all is dusts but couldn't draw them... I had 150+ power worth of attackers with avenger plants but couldn't do jack ****, lol. 

Spirit mantle + pariah works?  I didn't know that.  Interesting.

Naturally - damage is redirected, then prevented. Works like a charm.

That's cool!  I haven't been playing GoL much, but that's a pretty neat combo.

So damage source carries over when damage gets redirrected?  Didn't know that, but I guess it makes sense. 

That's cool!  I haven't been playing GoL much, but that's a pretty neat combo.

So damage source carries over when damage gets redirrected?  Didn't know that, but I guess it makes sense. 

Correct - it is just the target which is modified. Color, amount, source and such are all unaltered.
Using Summoning Trap probably justifies the inclusion of at least a couple of the higher cost Eldrazi, might have to try them, wanna have some more instant speed surprises for my opponent.
I guess I have changed my mind and am only avoiding the dimir thread.  There is nothing else to do on this site.
However, as far as I am concerned any posts about this deck that do not suggest a replacement never happened.
The goal of this deck is green with a consistent curve. 

28 forest

2 exploration
2 green sun's zenith

1 vastwood hydra 
4 explore
4 rampant growth

4 farhaven elf
1 fierce empath
1 rites of flourishing

1 vengevine
3 oracle of mul daya
1 harmonize

2 woodborn behemoth
2 sporemound

2 primeval titan
1 avenger of zendikar
1 tooth and nail

2 + 2 = fish

You have lots of Vastwood Hydras over there...

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I don't get it.

2 + 2 = fish

Take a look at the build you posted. Still nothing?

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

It says 1 vastwood hyra. This fits with the list and keeps everything in a nice easy to read column.  Am I missing something?

2 + 2 = fish

It says 1 vastwood hyra. This fits with the list and keeps everything in a nice easy to read column.  Am I missing something?

Derp

Show

Let me try this:

I guess I have changed my mind and am only avoiding the dimir thread.  There is nothing else to do on this site.
However, as far as I am concerned any posts about this deck that do not suggest a replacement never happened.
The goal of this deck is green with a consistent curve. 

28 forest

2 exploration
2 green sun's zenith

1 vastwood hydra    HERE!
4 explore
4 rampant growth

4 farhaven elf
1 fierce empath
1 rites of flourishing

1 vengevine
3 oracle of mul daya
1 harmonize

2 vastwood hydra    HERE AGAIN!
2 sporemound

2 primeval titan
1 avenger of zendikar
1 tooth and nail

Saw it now?