Magic 2014 "Chant of Mul Daya" Decklist and Strategies

1630 posts / 0 new
Last post
Amessofamind: I can agree to disagree, I doubt either of us will budge on this anyway, but out if interest, what deck does your partner run? It's my experience that established teams have go to combos of decks, and when you run CoMD I'm interested to know what is backing you up.
Bobtheratkillr: DeadWalkers doesn't operate well as an aggro deck.
The reason Exploration is a $30 dollar card in real life has nothing to do with this type of deck. Its a poor fit here because you dont have any cheap creatures to take advantage of that fast start. But imagine it with a bunch of cheap landfall creatures or a way to destroy and reuse lands from your graveyard such as Crucible of Worlds and it becomes crazy. Fastbond is much more powerful, but its banned in Legacy.

One of my favorite cards ever. Ask anyone.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

It's true. I sometimes think it's the only card he actually owns.
Bobtheratkillr: DeadWalkers doesn't operate well as an aggro deck.
It's true. I sometimes think it's the only card he actually owns.

And I own four of them.   Smile

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

I took your build and added a twist to it. Gonna try it now.

erdana; font-size:12px; border-collapse:collapse" cellspacing="0" border="0">

"CoMD Test"

A library for the Mul Daya 2014 deck (Chant of the Mul Daya)

60 Cards. 35 nonlands (16 creatures, 19 spells). 25 Lands (24; 1 other).

erdana; font-size:12px; border:1px solid #595c3d; border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left" cellspacing="0" border="0">
 Land 1 card 
 Land  Eye of Ugin  Land 
   cost  9 cards 
 Spell ■■■■ Explore   
■■■ Rampant Growth   
■■ Tangle   
   cost  3 cards 
 Creature ■■■ Farhaven Elf  1/1   
   cost  3 cards 
 Creature ■■ Oracle of Mul Daya  2/2   
 Spell  Harmonize   
   cost  2 cards 
 Spell ■■ Bountiful Harvest   
   cost  3 cards 
 Creature ■■ Primeval Titan  6/6   
 Vigor  6/6   
   cost  7 cards 
 Creature  Avenger of Zendikar  5/5   
■■■ Pelakka Wurm  7/7   
 Spell ■■ All Is Dust   
 Tooth and Nail   
   cost  4 cards 
 Creature ■■ Terastodon  9/9   
 Spell ■■ Eldrazi Conscription   
   cost  2 cards 
 Creature ■■ Artisan of Kozilek  10/9   
 [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m]  cost  2 cards 
 Spell ■■ Green Sun's Zenith  [/m]m="hp://ommny.zad.om/e/all/modle/om/foe_e/mley/zad/_mana.pn" al="" />[m] 

erdana; font-size:9px">Read about MysteriousMisterP's deck planner.
Open this library in the planner.

Sideboard (34 cards)
   2x Elvish Piper
   2x Exploration
   1x Farhaven Elf
   1x Fierce Empath
   4x Grazing Gladehart
   2x Into the Wilds
   2x It That Betrays
   4x Khalni Heart Expedition
   1x Oracle of Mul Daya
   1x Pathrazer of Ulamog
   1x Plow Under
   1x Rampant Growth
   1x Rites of Flourishing
   1x Scute Mob
   2x Sporemound
   2x Summoning Trap
   2x Ulamog's Crusher
   1x Vastwood Hydra
   1x Vengevine
   2x Woodborn Behemoth

Locked promos (5 cards)
   1x All Is Dust
   1x Dramatic Entrance
   1x Fierce Empath
   1x Gaea's Revenge
   1x Primeval Titan

I would highly suggest replacing Bountiful Harvest with more ramp or anything else really, its a pretty terrible card. Other than that looks good.
I would highly suggest replacing Bountiful Harvest with more ramp or anything else really, its a pretty terrible card. Other than that looks good.

Well I just tried 2 games and believe it or not Bountiful Harvest saved my life. :P Gave me an extra turn to draw Pelukka Wurm and gain even more. I like Bountiful Harvest just because I tend to play both 2HG and 1v1 and like it for both. Then again, I did get stuck at 7 mana for a couple turns.
And how many other times has it done nothing but delay your loss by a turn? Or not even that? And what if you hadn't pulled that Pelakka? I'm with PhazedOut: drop them both. At a glance, you could replace the with the fourth Farhaven Elf and the Fierce Empath. Can't go wrong with more ramp and a tutor for your fatties with a pair of 1/1 blockers attached.
And how many other times has it done nothing but delay your loss by a turn? Or not even that? And what if you hadn't pulled that Pelakka? I'm with PhazedOut: drop them both. At a glance, you could replace the with the fourth Farhaven Elf and the Fierce Empath. Can't go wrong with more ramp and a tutor for your fatties with a pair of 1/1 blockers attached.

I may drop one for a Rampant Growth.
Never liked Fierce Empath.
If I take out the other one though, wouldn't it be best to add in a 5-6 mana creature to fill that gap?
Y'know, I didn't even notice you only had the 3 Growths.  Pay more attention, Drac!

Normally, it probably would be best to stick to the same price range, but with the amount of ramp this deck has skipping from 4 to 6+ is rarely going to be a problem. If you do want to stick to 5cmc, then the Behemoth is probably your best bet.
Y'know, I didn't even notice you only had the 3 Growths.  Pay more attention, Drac!

Normally, it probably would be best to stick to the same price range, but with the amount of ramp this deck has skipping from 4 to 6+ is rarely going to be a problem. If you do want to stick to 5cmc, then the Behemoth is probably your best bet.

Lol, I cut one to make room for other cards.

Personally, for 1v1 I do prefer a more fast approach but during 2HG, I have been so used to a fast yet beefy approach of mana and cards like Scute Mob and Behemoth. I also used to run It That Betrays and the 11 mana Eldrazi
Strolling - The reason to run all the early ramp is the game plan of this deck is to play a big drop on turn 4 (or 5 if you have to) then keep powering out threats. Your optimal line is.

Turn 1 - Forest
Turn 2 - Forest, Rampant Growth (Or Explore, Forest)
Turn 3 - Repeat turn 2, but you also have Farhaven elf and Oracle for the same effect now.
Turn 4 - Forest, Primeval Titan fetching Forest and Eye of Ugin
Turn 5 - Forest Avenger of Zendikar (GSZ or Tooth and Nail fetching Avenger) 

From there you lots of land, 2 massive threats and if they are dealt with you have the eye to fetch Artisan to go again. All of your cards should be doing 1 of 4 things.

1 - Ramp - Needs to be cheap and efficient. You need the ramp effect now, not in 2 turns
2 - Threats - Need to be resilient, Come into play effects are preffered.
3 - Draw or fetch threats - added consistency
4 - Survival - You don't just want lifegain, we don't have many slots for this so the need to be very effective

If you look at most lists they break down like this.

[deck]
Threats
2 Primeval Titan
1 Avenger of Zendikar
2 Artisan of Kozilek
1 Terastodon
1 Vigor
[/deck]

[deck]
Draw or Fetch threats

2 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Eye of Ugin
1 Tooth and Nail
1 Fierce Empath
1 Harmonize
[/deck]

[deck]
Survival

3 Pelakka Wurm
2 Tangle
2 All is Dust
[/deck]

You will see a few of the cards could fit into a few categories. Pelakka Wurm is also a threat, Titan is your key card as it is also ramp and grabs Eye of Ugin to fetch more threats. Terastadon is a massive threat or key removal.

Having consistency and flexibility is key in a ramp deck when 41 of your cards are ramp or land.

So I know that this must have been discussed somewhere in this thread already, but I'm kinda curious of the reason why you guys are not running the Grazing Gladeharts, assuming it's something more than "lolol it's a lifegain card so it's bad". 

In my experience if it doesn't get killed the antelope represents a lifegain of anywhere between 20 and 40 life for 3 mana, compared to the miserable 7 life from the Pelakka Wurm. You can often play it without even slowing down your manaramping (for example turn 2 rampant, turn 3 explore + gladehart, turn 4 Primeval Titan), but the crazy thing is, even if you actually delay your manaramping by one turn just to play this guy, it's almost certainly worth it since the life that you'll gain from it is much more than any deck can deal in that 1 turn that you lost.

But the reason why the guy is in my deck is actually for a very specific matchup.  How can you ever win against a counterspell heavy illusions deck without them? You basically have to hope to draw All is Dust or Tangle, and hope that the opponent doesn't counter it, and even that may not be enough (in the case of tangle especially). 

The general consensus is that instead of spending 3 mana for a slow lifegain creature, you could be ramping with that mana to get the big guys out sooner. This deck often can't afford to delay them, even for a single turn. I wouldn't call Pelakka Wurm's lifegain "miserable" at any rate - you get it right away and when you're in a bind, it makes a big difference. You need to put out a whole 4 lands to get 8 life with the Gladeheart.

So I know that this must have been discussed somewhere in this thread already, but I'm kinda curious of the reason why you guys are not running the Grazing Gladeharts, assuming it's something more than "lolol it's a lifegain card so it's bad". 

In my experience if it doesn't get killed the antelope represents a lifegain of anywhere between 20 and 40 life for 3 mana, compared to the miserable 7 life from the Pelakka Wurm. You can often play it without even slowing down your manaramping (for example turn 2 rampant, turn 3 explore + gladehart, turn 4 Primeval Titan), but the crazy thing is, even if you actually delay your manaramping by one turn just to play this guy, it's almost certainly worth it since the life that you'll gain from it is much more than any deck can deal in that 1 turn that you lost.

But the reason why the guy is in my deck is actually for a very specific matchup.  How can you ever win against a counterspell heavy illusions deck without them? You basically have to hope to draw All is Dust or Tangle, and hope that the opponent doesn't counter it, and even that may not be enough (in the case of tangle especially). 

There are 2 main reasons not to run Gladeheart.

1) it disrupts your ramp. If you look at my previous post fitting gladehart in there slows you down by a whole turn. So the lifegain it gains is mitigated by the life you lose waiting a turn.

2) it has to live and a lot of decks have cheap removal that is otherwise bad vs your deck, last gasp, shock, an early soul's fire or many cards from Chandra.

Monk, just wondering why no exploration? It's godly turn 1 and if you get it later it has a lot of synergy with oracle for thinning the deck of land?
Exploration consistently does nothing here; without land in your hand it's useless, and finding three mana in a row off Oracle is pretty rare.

When I see a T1 Exploration, my odds of winning go up.
Monk, just wondering why no exploration? It's godly turn 1 and if you get it later it has a lot of synergy with oracle for thinning the deck of land?

High risk - High reward.  It's a better card in a deck with some card draw.  This deck does't really have any card draw.
For those exact reasons. It is only good turn 1 and only if you have extra land in hand. If you have an oracle out do you really need exploration?

I frequently see people cast exploration play 4 land in 2 turns then do nothing because they have used 5 cards out of their 8 just to get to that point.
I have it in mainly to add extra land off the top of the deck when oracle is out, thins the deck out to draw more big bombs quickly, nothing better than getting rid of 3 land off the deck with the insane amount of shuffles in the deck
Oh and hakeem I see the 3 land a lot, maybe not back to back but with all the shuffles it gets used quickly
I just finished the main campaign and am now on the revenge campaign and this has become my favourite deck.  Can someone explain to me how the unlocks work?  The deck is already 60 cards the unlocks are just for you to modify the deck or do they auto-upgrade cards in the deck?

There are 2 main reasons not to run Gladeheart.

1) it disrupts your ramp. If you look at my previous post fitting gladehart in there slows you down by a whole turn. So the lifegain it gains is mitigated by the life you lose waiting a turn.

2) it has to live and a lot of decks have cheap removal that is otherwise bad vs your deck, last gasp, shock, an early soul's fire or many cards from Chandra.

Agree on point 2, although that kind of removal can hit Oracle of Mul Daya and Scute Mob as well, and it only really comes up in 2 matchups (I don't think Soul's Fire is commonly played).

But for point 1, as I said in the post, the life that you gain from it is usually much more than any deck can take from you in a single turn. 

I just finished the main campaign and am now on the revenge campaign and this has become my favourite deck.  Can someone explain to me how the unlocks work?  The deck is already 60 cards the unlocks are just for you to modify the deck or do they auto-upgrade cards in the deck?

Just to modify the deck. But keep in mind that they will be added automatically to your deck, so you have to periodically go to the deck editor and take out some cards so that you stay around 60. And make sure you don't mess up your land count as you are doing that :P

Against the top decks though a removal spell on the Gladehart plus there attack is usually too much for you to recover. I don't mind them killing Oracle because usually I have played my extra land and am ready for Titan or similar on turn 4.
Amessofamind: I can agree to disagree, I doubt either of us will budge on this anyway, but out if interest, what deck does your partner run? It's my experience that established teams have go to combos of decks, and when you run CoMD I'm interested to know what is backing you up.

We run a variety of decks for different effect, he'll run a mind maze control, a DW control or if we feel like trying to get a little crazy, he'll play Draco and we hope for the best (just because when you win with the combo, it feels awesome, after all, I play for fun).. I will say that I lost my first match yesterday with a Zendikar out, but my buddy was mana flooded and thier fliers had already ticked our life down quite a bit.. I still see Zendikar as the biggest drop this game has, but obviously, like anything, there is a chance to lose.. there is just a lot less chances with Zendikar then any other card.

(also, we quite often run random or he'll work on a certain color for his titles, we have certain strategies for each deck and run them with other decks that make sense, but we also like to spice up the meta and stomp people (or get stomped) with books they don't often see ran together, yesterday we ran Slivers and Chant.. dropped Titan and Zendikar with tooth and nail, partner blew up the lands. Game, just fun stuff like that.)
Against the top decks though a removal spell on the Gladehart plus there attack is usually too much for you to recover. I don't mind them killing Oracle because usually I have played my extra land and am ready for Titan or similar on turn 4.

Ahh is that what they are doing.  So they basically dilute your deck if you unloc them all - you have a 90 card deck.  Thanks for replying.

Ahh is that what they are doing.  So they basically dilute your deck if you unloc them all - you have a 90 card deck.  Thanks for replying.

You are welcome but you quoted the wrong post :P

Scenario question: You have 4 mana, and in hand no lands, an Oracle, and Exploration/Rampant Growth + other stuff. Do you play the Oracle and hope for land, or Rampant Growth for the guarantee? I struggle with this one.
Scenario question: You have 4 mana, and in hand no lands, an Oracle, and Exploration/Rampant Growth + other stuff. Do you play the Oracle and hope for land, or Rampant Growth for the guarantee? I struggle with this one.

In this situation I play the Oracle, if there isn't any land, I wait until next turn, if there still isn't land, I Rampant, which shuffles the library and hope I get the land.. But if you had a Titan in hand as well, I could see using the rampant and hoping for a mana draw to drop the Titan.
I personally would play the Oracle.

Show

And then after the Oracle I would self flagilate because I have an Exploration.

Show

I think he meant Explore.
Regarding using certain cards to reshuffle and abuse Oracle, I totally agree. You really have to be careful with those effects, though, because if you're not paying attention you may shuffle away that All is Dust that you need.

Once you get to a certain land-count, you should just hold onto your Rampants/Elves so you can sculpt the top of your library when you need to. Obviously this advice only applies with Oracle in play; otherwise, you just cast and thin the deck as much as possible.

This is actually one of the best reasons not to auto-resolve the "may" abilities; casting Primeval Titan with Avenger of Zendikar on top and watching him get shuffled away would be sad indeed.
Hakeeeeeeem.
I can't believe you said that.
Accidently shuffled away an AID when I was getting familiar with the deck.
Never again.

Show

I think he meant Explore.

Doh...yup Embarassed
Is Dramatic Entrance worth it in this?

2 + 2 = fish

I'm going to give it a run, but at the moment my first instinct is no. It'll be a dead card on its own and will only save a minimal amount of mana (1 or 2 in most cases).
I'm going to give it a run, but at the moment my first instinct is no. It'll be a dead card on its own and will only save a minimal amount of mana (1 or 2 in most cases).

I'm also going to give it a good shot.  I think it could work well but I can also see it being dead.  I am a little more optimistic about it as it is an instant and can also get that titan out during those times where you just need that 1 more land to get things going, or makes up for a missed land drop in the beginning even if you do have a land in you hand.  I'm hoping for the best, but it might not work as often as I hope.  It could also be a bad draw when in topdeck mode, that's never a plus.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Strolling - The reason to run all the early ramp is the game plan of this deck is to play a big drop on turn 4 (or 5 if you have to) then keep powering out threats. Your optimal line is.

Turn 1 - Forest
Turn 2 - Forest, Rampant Growth (Or Explore, Forest)
Turn 3 - Repeat turn 2, but you also have Farhaven elf and Oracle for the same effect now.
Turn 4 - Forest, Primeval Titan fetching Forest and Eye of Ugin
Turn 5 - Forest Avenger of Zendikar (GSZ or Tooth and Nail fetching Avenger) 

From there you lots of land, 2 massive threats and if they are dealt with you have the eye to fetch Artisan to go again. All of your cards should be doing 1 of 4 things.

1 - Ramp - Needs to be cheap and efficient. You need the ramp effect now, not in 2 turns
2 - Threats - Need to be resilient, Come into play effects are preffered.
3 - Draw or fetch threats - added consistency
4 - Survival - You don't just want lifegain, we don't have many slots for this so the need to be very effective

If you look at most lists they break down like this.

[deck]
Threats
2 Primeval Titan
1 Avenger of Zendikar
2 Artisan of Kozilek
1 Terastodon
1 Vigor
[/deck]

[deck]
Draw or Fetch threats

2 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Eye of Ugin
1 Tooth and Nail
1 Fierce Empath
1 Harmonize
[/deck]

[deck]
Survival

3 Pelakka Wurm
2 Tangle
2 All is Dust
[/deck]

You will see a few of the cards could fit into a few categories. Pelakka Wurm is also a threat, Titan is your key card as it is also ramp and grabs Eye of Ugin to fetch more threats. Terastadon is a massive threat or key removal.

Having consistency and flexibility is key in a ramp deck when 41 of your cards are ramp or land.

Hmmm, may edit my build a little bit more now. I ended up removing the Harvests for a Rampant Growth and that 11 Mana Eldrazi