Magic 2014 "Enter the Dracomancer" Decklist and Strategies

1155 posts / 0 new
Last post

awake283 wrote:

I just cannot get any consistancy out of this deck. I really hate playing a Cultivate or whatever on turn 3, when I havent established any board presence. By time I can drop a Dracomancer or Dragon card on T4/T5, they almost always have removal in hand by that point.

Impossible to get established with this deck

Consistency is a problem for EtD. I think it's a shame that this deck has no strong 5-drops since the Cultivates kinda lead this deck to that direction. It's as if the devs were building this deck around Voracious Dragon and forgot to put it in at the last minute.

That is really similar to my thinking - the 5 drops don't impress me so what am I really cultivating on T3 towards?

"Buy the ticket. Take the ride."

You ramp into more ramp, strip as much land as you can out of your deck, and drop big dudes one at a time. Or you sink all that mana into a Dragon Roost or massive Banefire.

graphicophiles wrote:

Shadowcran wrote:

Yeah, it can be run r/g but With the expansion decks, running Maelstrom Pulses and Jund charms are very important.

And to agree, the deck seems to lack consistancy. It either rolls over and plays dead, or rolls over opponent. I spent quite a bit of time on this trying to figure it out just so. Only thing I wonder about now is 'Tuskatongues or goblin fodder".

I run the specialty chumps. Jund Battlemage is very useful instead of an unneeded shaman if you use the ramp. With ramp, a 4cmc like Ogre Berserker becomes a chump with attitude. A player cannot afford to leave these around.  Borderland Rangers seem to draw most attention for some odd reason. It's a 2/2 chump once it hits the field people. It's not going to magically turn into a dragon. I've managed to have both Berserker and Battlemage on field at same time. 3/1 saprolings with haste shouldn't be ignored.

I went with the elf as well. Since, he's fetched me 3 cultivates, and 5 Maelstrom Pulses..nothing else. I call that very useful. Also, let's face it, Cascade is fun. Hope the deck packs have more.

It's a 2/2 Chump that fetches land, that's why.

I'm well aware of that..but once it hits the board, it's a 2/2. That's when spells focus on it. Criminal waste oftentimes. I run these of course.

Ah... Misunderstood your point Shadow. I thought you were wonder why everyone was running them, not why everyone wants to kill them. Lol.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Haven't bought the expansion yet but having completed the levels, I've been going through the carousel of decks one by one trying to win enough games to unlock all the rest of the cards. Dracomancer has been very difficult in that vein.

I notice that with many of the decks in this game, even if you have a big bloated deck full of all the cards that have been unlocked (which tends to happen when playing a bunch of games in a row just to unlock cards), you can still get a decent win ratio because most of the cards work together in any combination. EtD is a significant exception to this - it has a lot of deadweight . Winning with this deck seems to require that a number of disparate elements come together - enough mana, of the right colours, enough small and big spells, enough creature removal. Sometimes my first draw has four green mana acceleration cards but no Forest or way to get one. Other times I'm flooded and nothing that can inflict damage comes along.

But definitely trying out some of the deck builds posted here (substituting for cards I have yet to unlock), it's been much easier to win.

I've noticed the CPU player sometimes does not make very good calls. At one point I had Sneak Attack out and had already used it on Archwing Dragon - during the CPU's turn, if I popped out Archwing before combat it would decline to attack, but if I kept it in my hand it would gladly attack with a 2/2. So when it evaluates whether or not to make certain moves, it doesn't seem to include in the equation whether there are currently-hidden cards I can play, which had previously been revealed.

After many tries and thought, this is what i managed out of this really bad deck (which i find fun though).

Thoughts?

P.s How can i make card images appear?

Thanks!

ENTER THE DRACOMANCER. 60 CARD DECK

Main deck

Unlocks 

2 x Crucible of Fire

4 x Maelstrom Pulse

1x Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund

1 x Dragon Roost

1 x Ogre Battledriver

1x Broodmate Dragon

1x Consume Strength

1x Banefire

1 x Dragonlair Spider

1x Spellbreaker Behemoth

2 x Dragon Broodmother

Promos

1x Savage Twister

2x Explosive Vegetation

1x Archwing Dragon

1x Sneak Attack

GOD TIER...";(
"Dpad Fighter Forever"

I can't try out any more Draco decks. I spent the first month after release trying to make it work, and my ladder score in 1v1 is still below 1600 because of that. -_-

For those still interested, you need to find out how to put the first six lands down in the proper colors. 3 Mountain, 2 Forest, and 1 Swamp are the key lands to have. With that, you can cast any 6cmc creature.

I like the idea.of this deck, at least for the most part. But a lot of the best cards, like Broodmate Dragon or Flameblast Dragon, are 1-of's with no protection or revival. It could use a few more Jund Charm, Jund Battlemage, and Banefire cards, too.

Uh........... 

So, some basic tips.

1. Don't post a 23 land 3 color deck on the forums with 8cmc creatures in it.  There are numerous things wrong with the fact that I had to type that.

2. Run all of the ramp and fixing, or run the shamans.  Don't run both.  Running half of each is bad.

3.  If you are going to run the hatchlings, actually run the hatchlings.  Don't half @#$ it.  Run all 4.  Run 4 dragon fodder.  Run the 3 crucible.  And run all of the 6 mana dragons.

4. If this is a 1v1 build, don't run the 7 mana enchantments.

2 + 2 = fish

Here is another approach I will try.  This is the current version of my deck:

24 Lands

2 swamps is enough.  This lets you run the most important colors at 9 each.

2 swamp

9 mountain

9 forest

4 terramorphic expanse

12 Dragons

This lets me use kilnmouth to great effect, and it means I have enough giant flying creatures to get the job done.

4 hellkite hatchling

1 archwing dragon

1 broodmate dragon

2 dragon broodmother

1 flameblast dragon

2 predator dragon

1 kilnmouth dragon

8 Ramp/Fixing

This lets me get away with running only 2 swamps, and it means I play dragons turns 5 and 6 reliably.  This deck needs to do that.  Because it has almost no early defense.

2 borderland ranger

4 cultivate

2 explosive vegetation

Removal

Due to all the fixing and ramp, these are almost always live.  And...... this is a good removal base.

1 banefire

1 savage twister

2 jund charm

4 maelstrom pulse

Utility

4 dragon fodder - First things first, this deck literally does nothing turns 1 or 2 unless you are getting 1/1's out there.  That being said, this is better than thallid, it makes hatchlings fly, and it can gang block early.

1 [c[ogre battledriver[/c] - Everything has haste, where normally only the predator dragons and archwing would.  Everythign comes in much bigger power wise.  Freaking useful.

3 crucible of fire - I am running 12 dragons.  That is 12 creatures where one copy of this guarantees they are all 5/5 or bigger.

Cards I am not running and why:

Tukatongue thallid - Doesn't do much except get devoured, and their are much better things to run.

Dragon Breath and Dragon Fangs - Extra things that aren't as important as ramp and more flying dudes.

Shamans- Once you are running 8 of the green cards, this dude is just horrible.   First of all, the double red is an issue.  Second, out of all your 3 drops, this has the least effect on the field in way too many matchups.  There is better stuff in deck.

Behemoth - No evasion.  Outside of two mathcups, the counterless doesn't matter.  You are frankly screwed in those two mathcups. There is better stuff in the deck.

Bloodbraid - The cascade is awesome, but she is kind of...... her P/.T sucks for this deck for her mana cost, and a lot of the time the cascade just whiffs and you get removal that you have to bury on the bottom of the deck.

Sneak Attack - Seems awesome but this completely destroys any card advantage you might have (unless you exploit the bug).  Leaving out it's a risky turn 4, this can really hurt you some games in the long run.

The rest of the stuff I just left out because it's getting expensive for what it does and/or it's not a dragon.  Out of the 3 dragons I don't run, volcanic sucks, and I didn't want to run the tyrant or hellkite.

2 + 2 = fish

mjack33 wrote:

Here is another approach I will try.  This is the current version of my deck:

24 Lands

2 swamps is enough.  This lets you run the most important colors at 9 each.

2 swamp

9 mountain

9 forest

4 terramorphic expanse

12 Dragons

This lets me use kilnmouth to great effect, and it means I have enough giant flying creatures to get the job done.

4 hellkite hatchling

1 archwing dragon

1 broodmate dragon

2 dragon broodmother

1 flameblast dragon

2 predator dragon

1 kilnmouth dragon

8 Ramp/Fixing

This lets me get away with running only 2 swamps, and it means I play dragons turns 5 and 6 reliably.  This deck needs to do that.  Because it has almost no early defense.

2 borderland ranger

4 cultivate

2 explosive vegetation

Removal

Due to all the fixing and ramp, these are almost always live.  And...... this is a good removal base.

1 banefire

1 savage twister

2 jund charm

4 maelstrom pulse

Utility

4 dragon fodder - First things first, this deck literally does nothing turns 1 or 2 unless you are getting 1/1's out there.  That being said, this is better than thallid, it makes hatchlings fly, and it can gang block early.

1 [c[ogre battledriver[/c] - Everything has haste, where normally only the predator dragons and archwing would.  Everythign comes in much bigger power wise.  Freaking useful.

3 crucible of fire - I am running 12 dragons.  That is 12 creatures where one copy of this guarantees they are all 5/5 or bigger.

Cards I am not running and why:

Tukatongue thallid - Doesn't do much except get devoured, and their are much better things to run.

Dragon Breath and Dragon Fangs - Extra things that aren't as important as ramp and more flying dudes.

Shamans- Once you are running 8 of the green cards, this dude is just horrible.   First of all, the double red is an issue.  Second, out of all your 3 drops, this has the least effect on the field in way too many matchups.  There is better stuff in deck.

Behemoth - No evasion.  Outside of two mathcups, the counterless doesn't matter.  You are frankly screwed in those two mathcups. There is better stuff in the deck.

Bloodbraid - The cascade is awesome, but she is kind of...... her P/.T sucks for this deck for her mana cost, and a lot of the time the cascade just whiffs and you get removal that you have to bury on the bottom of the deck.

Sneak Attack - Seems awesome but this completely destroys any card advantage you might have (unless you exploit the bug).  Leaving out it's a risky turn 4, this can really hurt you some games in the long run.

The rest of the stuff I just left out because it's getting expensive for what it does and/or it's not a dragon.  Out of the 3 dragons I don't run, volcanic sucks, and I didn't want to run the tyrant or hellkite.

I like your stictly Dragon approach so i'll probably drop Tukatongue thallid and add in its place the 2 rest Hellkite Hatchlinks.

Keep in mind im trying to balance my decks for universal play!

GOD TIER...";(
"Dpad Fighter Forever"

I think dragons is pretty consistant if cut properly. With that being said dont expect to go positive with it. Its pretty much a 2hg deck, The only problem is the lack of lifegain as the deck is slow as heck. I agree its lack of 5 drops is its main downfall. Thragtusk wouldve been great. As it works with devour and fills the five hole greatly. I'll post my build shortly!

Add me on Ps3 HellzonianG

Instead of playing multiplayer with this deck again, I redesigned the card set. This only reminded me of how much I hate this deck.

Tried to keep is simple and within the normal deck building rules. The only card that doesn't already exist in the set is Rampant Growth, and I put it in because it works better for this deck's mana curve than Cultivate. (There's too much competing for play @3 already) I think Jund Battlemage is a really good creature in a Jund deck with a devour subtheme, but since they only gave 1 copy it doesn't do the work it needs to. The early game would also be a lot easier if you could reliably draw a Jund Charm by turn 3 and have the lands to play it.

I have been working on this deck since I posted that.  Basically exlusively.  I ended up with this:

2 swamp

9 mountain

11 forest

2 terramorphic expanse

1 banefire

1 savage twister

3 dragon fodder

3 borderland ranger

2 jund charm

4 maelstrom pulse

4 cultivate

3 hellkite hatchling

1 archwing dragon

3 crucible of fire

2 explosive vegetation

1 broodmate dragon

2 dragon broodmother

1 flameblast dragon

2 predator dragon

1 karrthus, tyrant of jund

1 kilnmouth dragon

1 hellkite overlord

This deck has been very very constent, and it feels like playing with a 2 color deck.  It can pump out any dragons you do get very fast, meaning you will probably have a giant flying creature turn 5 most games.

So I went back and tested it again.  And I still hate dragonspeaker shaman.  And now I remember why else.  First, the thing dies to any sort of burn very easy, and your progress is gone.  People also don't mind just hard removing it too.  It doesn't do any ramp if it doesn't survive.  The other problem with the card is the significantly bigger one.  It's double red.  It keeps having to wait till turn 4 to come out.  That defeats the point of running it.  It's just inconsistent, and it doesn't really get to cheat stuff into play at all.  You normally have the mana to just hardcast the card for the original cmc after a certain point, without really anything else to do with the extra 2 mana.  This thing helped in 1 out of 10 games I ran it AND won. cultivate helped in 7 of those same games.  Ranger helped in 4.

This deck's real issue isn't speed or creature size.  It's the complete lack of any way to generate card advantage whatsoever.  You spend your whole hand to thin your deck and get fatties out there.  If they die, you are basically in topdeck mode waiting for something good.  The top decks have enough removal to ensure this happens more often than not, and that is why this deck seems worse than it is.  Because 8 out of 10 games you will play something with a crap ton of draw or a crap ton of removal that can easily handle a few fatties.

2 + 2 = fish

mjack33 wrote:

I have been working on this deck since I posted that.  Basically exlusively.  I ended up with this:

2 swamp

9 mountain

11 forest

2 terramorphic expanse

1 banefire

1 savage twister

3 dragon fodder

3 borderland ranger

2 jund charm

4 maelstrom pulse

4 cultivate

3 hellkite hatchling

1 archwing dragon

3 crucible of fire

2 explosive vegetation

1 broodmate dragon

2 dragon broodmother

1 flameblast dragon

2 predator dragon

1 kilnmouth dragon

1 hellkite overlord

This deck has been very very constent, and it feels like playing with a 2 color deck.  It can pump out any dragons you do get very fast, meaning you will probably have a giant flying creature turn 5 most games.

So I went back and tested it again.  And I still hate dragonspeaker shaman.  And now I remember why else.  First, the thing dies to any sort of burn very easy, and your progress is gone.  People also don't mind just hard removing it too.  It doesn't do any ramp if it doesn't survive.  The other problem with the card is the significantly bigger one.  It's double red.  It keeps having to wait till turn 4 to come out.  That defeats the point of running it.  It's just inconsistent, and it doesn't really get to cheat stuff into play at all.  You normally have the mana to just hardcast the card for the original cmc after a certain point, without really anything else to do with the extra 2 mana.  This thing helped in 1 out of 10 games I ran it AND won. cultivate helped in 7 of those same games.  Ranger helped in 4.

This deck's real issue isn't speed or creature size.  It's the complete lack of any way to generate card advantage whatsoever.  You spend your whole hand to thin your deck and get fatties out there.  If they die, you are basically in topdeck mode waiting for something good.  The top decks have enough removal to ensure this happens more often than not, and that is why this deck seems worse than it is.  Because 8 out of 10 games you will play something with a crap ton of draw or a crap ton of removal that can easily handle a few fatties.

After testing many, many builds i have to agree with yours minus "Sneak attack" & "Dragonlair Spider "which is a really cool cards

to pass by so i put them in the build at the cost of  the 2 "Terramorphic expance"

This deck is really, really poorly constructed for 1on1 but works great in 2HG.

Basically my build boils down to this:

3 swamp

10 mountain

9 forest

1 banefire

1 savage twister

3 dragon fodder

3 borderland ranger

2 jund charm

4 maelstrom pulse

3 cultivate

4 hellkite hatchling

1 archwing dragon

3 crucible of fire

2 explosive vegetation

1 Sneak attack

1 broodmate dragon

2 dragon broodmother

1 flameblast dragon

2 predator dragon

1 Dragonlair Spider

1 kilnmouth dragon

1 hellkite overlord

GOD TIER...";(
"Dpad Fighter Forever"

I am running ETD as a Gruul deck... Works fine for me. Ogre Battledriver is a powerhouse along with all the tokens.

Nerolunar wrote:

I am running ETD as a Gruul deck... Works fine for me. Ogre Battledriver is a powerhouse along with all the tokens.

Yea he is cool.

Now im thinking to exchance Sneack attack with him,,,

GOD TIER...";(
"Dpad Fighter Forever"

Sneak Attack is a trap.  

Because by the time you can use it, you either only have 1 big creature you will cast soon (or NOW) anyways, or you don't have enough to win the game and are going to lose advantage and monsters in the long run. 

It never actually won me the game without abusing the glitch, and I hate even trying that because it's basically cheating in my book.  It's just a 4 mana "should I actually bother to cast this?" on the curve, especially when running the ramp and crucibles.

2 + 2 = fish

mjack33 wrote:

Sneak Attack is a trap.  

Because by the time you can use it, you either only have 1 big creature you will cast soon (or NOW) anyways, or you don't have enough to win the game and are going to lose advantage and monsters in the long run. 

It never actually won me the game without abusing the glitch, and I hate even trying that because it's basically cheating in my book.  It's just a 4 mana "should I actually bother to cast this?" on the curve, especially when running the ramp and crucibles.

Agreed.

Tested many times and while its a good concept its actually useless. So i removed it from my build.

GOD TIER...";(
"Dpad Fighter Forever"

I have tried the heavier mana ramp decks listed here and they are awesome. But I decided to try to build a version that tries to take full advantage of "Devour". This is what I have come up with. I know it is 61 cards but I can't figure out what to cut. I have rarely pulled Ogre Battledriver so I can't really comment on his usefulness in this build. I imagine it would be useful to be able to attack on the same turn I cast a Gorger Wurm or Hellkite Hatchling. Also, sometimes I end up have too much mana. I don't know if I should cut down on ramp or go down to 23 lands.

The deck is definitely slow and is very tricky to play. I have trouble winning against the CPU in singleplayer -> Custom game vs Random decks on Normal difficulty. I think dodge and burn gives me the most difficulty.

Lands 

3x Swamp

9x Mountain

8x Forest

4x Terramorphic Expanse

Creatures

4x Tukatongue Thallid

3x Borderland Ranger

1x Spellbreaker Behemoth

4x Hellkite Hatchling

1x Archwing Dragon

1x Ogre Battledriver

2x Gorger Wurm

2x Dragon Broodmother

1x Dragonlair Spider

2x Predator Dragon

Spells

1x Banefire

1x Savage Twister

4x Dragon Fodder

2x Jund Charm

4x Maelstrom Pulse

4x Cultivate

- 3 borderland ranger (You have enough stuff in the first turns)

jund battlemage (token)

+ bloodbraid elf (may get tokens)

Sacade wrote:

- 3 borderland ranger (You have enough stuff in the first turns)

jund battlemage (token)

+ bloodbraid elf (may get tokens)

Hey thanks for the tips. I removed the ranger and I haven't missed him at all.

I've also been having a hard time getting three mountains down if I don't hit any ramp. I removed 1 forest and added one mountain for 10/7/3 but I might make it 11/6/3 because the next game I still only had one mountain.

Anyways this deck is probably really bad because I am having a hard time winning against decks that still have all the crappy cards in them

If you're not hitting your colors consistently (3 mountains, 2 forests, 1 swamp on turn 6) then you're clearly missing Borderland Ranger

slodice wrote:

If you're not hitting your colors consistently (3 mountains, 2 forests, 1 swamp on turn 6) then you're clearly missing Borderland Ranger

I noticed a difference when I used 11m / 6f /3s but there was one occurrance when I didn't have the second forest to cast Dragonlair Spider

"Anyways this deck is probably really bad because I am having a hard time winning against decks that still have all the crappy cards in them"

You are right, Dragon is one of the worst deck for 1vs1.

however, Devour build is probably not the best way to play this deck.

I think 4 fodder and 4 tukatongue is too much.  You need them  as few as possible just to survive till you can play your bombs.

If you choose to don't play a devour build, ranger become a good card to fix mana and  chump block, at least 1 or 2 depending of your number of ramp and chump (yeah it's fun but hard to balance everything with dragons ).

Are you guys not fans of the Dragon Shamans?  I could sure use sugestions. Right now I'm quite content with my build.

60 cards 3 black mana 8 Red 8 Green.

Any suggestions on it?

Manny1222 wrote:

Are you guys not fans of the Dragon Shamans?  I could sure use sugestions. Right now I'm quite content with my build.

60 cards 3 black mana 8 Red 8 Green.

Any suggestions on it?

Here is what I'm running. I've never like Dragonspeaker Shaman it doesn't thin the deck and if it doesn't come down on turn 3 it's kind of seemed too late. I'm not a huge fan of this deck and only really run it in FFA or if I have to  because of the rules for a tournament so take my list with a grain of salt.

"Jund Ramp"
A library for the Dragons 2014 deck  (Enter the Dracomancer)
60 Cards. 36 nonlands (16 creatures, 20 spells). 24 Lands (9 10 2; 3 other).

Land
   3x Terramorphic Expanse
cost  
   3x Tukatongue Thallid
cost  
   4x Dragon Fodder
cost  
   2x Borderland Ranger
   1x Jund Battlemage
   4x Cultivate
   2x Jund Charm
   4x Maelstrom Pulse
cost  
   1x Bloodbraid Elf
   1x Ogre Battledriver
   1x Spellbreaker Behemoth
   2x Explosive Vegetation
cost  
   1x Broodmate Dragon
   2x Dragon Broodmother
   1x Dragonlair Spider
   1x Flameblast Dragon
   2x Dragon Roost
cost  
   1x Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
cost  
   1x Hellkite Overlord
cost  
   1x Banefire
   1x Savage Twister

Steam Name: Yertle{U}The{B}Turtle

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/YertleTheMFnTurtle

New Forum: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

I guess the Shaman hold the same argument as Medallions; good early on, but a waste in late games. I'm still going to keep the enchantments though. I like seeing my dragons 7/7 when they first drop. It pleases me.

I'm going to spend a session with each deck over the coming weeks and post my final builds for all the D14 decks. Today's project was EtD:

[1v1] "Hakeem928"
A library for the Dragons 2014 deck  (Enter the Dracomancer)
60 Cards. 35 nonlands (15 creatures, 20 spells). 25 Lands (8 10 3; 4 other).
Open this library in the deck planner. (Learn more)
Land
-- 4x Terramorphic Expanse
cost  
-- 4x Dragon Fodder
cost  
-- 3x Borderland Ranger
-- 1x Consume Strength
-- 4x Cultivate
-- 2x Jund Charm
-- 4x Maelstrom Pulse
cost  
-- 1x Archwing Dragon
-- 1x Bloodbraid Elf
-- 1x Ogre Battledriver
-- 2x Explosive Vegetation
cost  
-- 1x Broodmate Dragon
-- 2x Dragon Broodmother
-- 1x Dragonlair Spider
-- 1x Flameblast Dragon
-- 2x Predator Dragon
-- 1x Dragon Roost
cost  
-- 1x Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
cost  
-- 1x Hellkite Overlord
cost  
-- 1x Banefire
-- 1x Savage Twister

I've chosen to run this as a ramp deck because thinning lands from the deck is as close as this deck can come to generating some type of card advantage.

On card choices, I've finally cut the Spellbreaker Behemoth. He was a bit difficult to cast on curve because of his mana cost, and he's just a vanilla beater in the majority of matchups. Bloodbraid Elf is easier to cast and nets you a free spell, so she's a much better four-drop for the deck. She does whiff and cascade into an X spell from time to time, but most of the time you'll get a free Borderland Ranger, Cultivate, or Maelstrom Pulse.

I've also cut the Form of the Dragon. I think it was always somewhat of a questionable inclusion, but now with Faeries and Demons flying around (among other reasons) it just isn't good enough to justify spending seven mana on it.

Try it out of you've been having less than stellar results with your own builds. EtD isn't a top-tier deck by any stretch, but this build is capable of win rates around 50%, which I think is about as good as this deck can muster.

I've gone a similar route with the deck, and I think it's the best way to go. Get as many lands out of the way and you should start drawing into the bombs.

You make a good point with Form of the Dragon, but I'm not sure I agree with Spellbreaker Behemoth. Given we want an early for the ramp anyway I've rarely found him that difficult to cast, and he's a vanilla beater in the same way Leatherback Baloth is, while being highly effective in those matchups where his abilities matter.

I've really come to dislike the Archwing Dragon. Often times he'll get played once before the actual bombs start appearing, or even skipped entirely for a Cultivate/Explosive Vegetation straight into a bomb. Just a very inefficient use of mana in a deck that can't really afford it.

Nice Hakeem, that is the same as my list except I run spell breaker over archwing
I certainly don't love the Archwing Dragon, but I think he does enough work to earn a spot. This build of the deck tends to have a ton of mana in play while it hopes to topdeck something of relevance. A lategame Archwing is really just a repeatable burn spell. The upside of the card is that it dodges sorcery-speed removal spells; you'll never see it stuck under a Pacifism, Journey to Nowhere, or O-Ring (among others) and it keeps attacking through Damnation, Mutilate, Final Judgment etc. Again, not the greatest card, but it does give you some reach once you hit topdeck mode.
I just scored a T5 aggro kill with this deck against CotMD. T2 Dragon Fodder, T3 swing for 2 (18) then Borderland Ranger, T4 Bloodbraid Elf nabbing another Ranger then swing for 7 (11), T5 Consume Strength buffing a goblin token and killing my opponent's Farhaven Elf then swing for 11 (0). Talk about getting the right draw against the right opponent.

I stopped playing this a while back, but I always felt my EtD was quite unique from some of the builds I saw as it ran virtually no conventional ramp, or even any black. Relied on lots of stall until you could build up to a Dragon Roost or Broodmother win, usually finishing them off with a large Soul Fire or two, powered by a huge devour. Rannets are purely for land fetch, and I skipped the Bloodbraid as all it could fetch was my removal (at unwanted times) or more stall creatures, of which I have plenty and don't need the risk of burying a Soul Fire to fetch.

The list, from memory, was...

60 cards

4 x Dragon Fodder

4 x Tukatongue Thallid

3 x Borderland Ranger

1 x Jund Battlemage

1 x Ogre Battledriver

4 x Hellkite Hatchling

1 x Spellbreaker Behemoth

2 x Valley Rannet

1 x Dragonlair Spider

2 x Dragon Broodmother

2 x Predator Dragon

1 x Savage Twister

1 x Banefire

4 x Soul's Fire

2 x Dragon Roost

1 x Form of the Dragon

4 x Terramorphic Expanse

10 x Forest

12 x Mountain

It looks quite poor, but is surprisingly effective. Give it a spin and it may surprise you!

Sign In to post comments