Magic 2014 "Enter the Dracomancer" Decklist and Strategies

1155 posts / 0 new
Last post

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Hello and welcome to this lovely forum thread! Introducing Enter the Dracomancer, a 3-color "Jund" deck that will be included/unlockable in Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers.

Enjoy!

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Guess its our lucky day!! ;)
I'm going to start building my version right....now
A lot of cards I really like in this deck. Good creatures, good removal, Dragon Fangs and Dragon Breath are great. Really awesome deck.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I should be a fan of this deck.
Okay so we've got a ridiculous number of high-cost and high-powered spells in a three color deck, should be inconsistent enough to be balanced. But wait, we have ramp and mana-fixing too! I think this will be a strong deck, and who doesn't love dragons?
Really looking forward to this deck. I love dragons and was kinda sad D13 didn't have a dragon deck.
Dragonspeaker Shaman x4 should help keep the high mana costs in check somewhat.
Okay so we've got a ridiculous number of high-cost and high-powered spells in a three color deck, should be inconsistent enough to be balanced. But wait, we have ramp and mana-fixing too! I think this will be a strong deck, and who doesn't love dragons?

Raises hand

Looks overall powerful, though I'm a little skeptical about all the Devour present without a lot of low-end creatures and not much token generation. We'll see how it plays out when the game releases.
Hrrm. Wait, now maybe...

I mean, this might be ego here. It very well could be. I have one from time to time.

But...

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Some of these cards look a tad familiar. Sure, there's only so many ways to build Jund Dragons, but the Spellbreaker Behemoth in particular made me wonder.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Sweeet!  A real dragon deck!  Wow.  This looks really good and we got a tri-color deck!  So much arguing to be done with all these deck releases!  Anyone ever tell you how much you love you Wizards_Sean? ;P

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

I just want to point out that Form of the Dragon will be very hard to deal with for some decks if they aren't build correctly.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

At least the base deck isn't unplayable, like Scales of Fury was.
This looks exciting and fun! I'm not sure which deck I'm more excited about, this one or the ramping Eldrazi one.

Eye kneed teh speelchequer bach!

I think I'm more excited for the Eldrazi ramp deck, but that's because it's similar to deck I own. :D
Yes Jund dragon deck as predicted!  This deck also looks strong, good removal, ramp and fatties. The devour synergies will be fun to play with  
Indeed, put out some worthless tokens until the dragons come in devouring and destroying opposing faces!  Sounds like fun!

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Indeed, put out some worthless tokens until the dragons come in devouring and destroying opposing faces!  Sounds like fun!

Faces are vastly overrated in any case.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Raises hand

Looks overall powerful, though I'm a little skeptical about all the Devour present without a lot of low-end creatures and not much token generation. We'll see how it plays out when the game releases.

Dude, your avatar is a dragon! Just sayin'!

Raises hand

Not everyone in the Izzet League approves of the Firemind's leadership.

Raises hand

Not my fault that my favorite guild's leader is the ultimate narcissist.

Wait, when did Mike Flores take over the Izzet?

Needs more token generators it looks like to me.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Wait, when did Mike Flores take over the Izzet?

Hey, I got that. Very good, GoA!

Now this makes me want to Clone Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund!

Edit:   Doh!!!!

That would turn out terribly.
Rather use Bribery or a Body Double.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Needs more token generators it looks like to me.

4 x Dragon Fodder and 4 x Tukatongue Thallid is 16 creatures of 8 cards, I'd say that's a pretty good base. If it's a good idea to go the token/devour route remains to be seen though.
Ya, and some of the lesser creatures like the Borderland Rangers, Dragonspeaker Shamans (once you have the mana to do so), and the Artifact Mutation.  I agree though, it is yet to be seen if this is the way to go.

If they got the rules right, take works wonderfully. You clone Karrthus, threatening every dragon in play, including Karrthus. Then you'll have to choose a Karrthus to keep alive (because you'll be controling both). You choose the Clone and profit. A mass threat and a kill spell for 4 mana. Not bad.

Holy crap, this deck is basically a spin off of my deck Sarkhan's Madness:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2RJPhUCrF4

It even has the 2 x Valley Rannet and 2 x Igneous Pounce I am very happy that they think just like me. ^_^

If they got the rules right, take works wonderfully. You clone Karrthus, threatening every dragon in play, including Karrthus. Then you'll have to choose a Karrthus to keep alive (because you'll be controling both). You choose the Clone and profit. A mass threat and a kill spell for 4 mana. Not bad.

Haha, when this happens (and it will at some point) I will laugh maniacally  

That's right.
Under the new rule I would get to keep one.
That's what I thought at first, then the old ruled kicked me in the head. Therefor the edit.

Show

At least it will be a compensation for every Geist of Saint Traft you can't kill anymore...

Hah!!!!
It will be me doing it to you. Muahahahaha!

I posted the idea first and it's mine I tell you.
Now I just need a Clone

Show

Hah!!!!
It will be me doing it to you. Muahahahaha!

I posted the idea first and it's mine I tell you.
Now I just need a Clone

But I have the Clone!! 

(Will probabaly laugh no matter if take the dragons or my dragon's are taken, that's the manic part!! )
"We're sorry about Dragon's Roar."

Just looking at the deck, I think this will be great.

It might be correct to play the Charms with the amount of fixing we have in the deck. I cut them because I thought it was better to go really low on Black to improve my consistency on the other colors. Now I need Black only for Pulse and Broodmate. 3 Swamps might be enough for this. Needs testing. The Charms can replace some Soul's Fire if they are needed.

Speaking of them, Soul's Fire is a very versatile card, with the downside of being dead if you're far behind. I like that the card will work wonder with the Hatchlings, the heavy-lifters of this deck.

I really want Predator Dragon, but I can't play it in a 3-color deck, even if Black is only a splash. I still like haste, though, so that's why I'm playing the Ogre. This card is a monster, and the only drawback is the double Red in the casting cost. I guess one can't have everything.

The other form to give dudes haste is Dragon Breath. I would play without the actual firebreathing, but that's a nice bonus. That card, along with Dragon Fangs, will make this deck very scary.

Now if we can get Mycoloth at some point...

Interesting that this deck list doesn't include Scourge of Valkas, which we know is in DOTP 2014 given the "D14" on the spoiled card.

It seems unlikely that the card would be in Chandra's deck given the dragon theme so it must as part of the promos I guess.   
Question about Dragonspeaker Shaman, does "Dragon spells" apply to things like Dragon Roost and Form of the Dragon or does that just mean Dragon creature spells?
Question about Dragonspeaker Shaman, does "Dragon spells" apply to things like Dragon Roost and Form of the Dragon or does that just mean Dragon creature spells?

Just spells that have "Dragon" as one of their subtypes.

Sign In to post comments