Welder Stax

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

Since Dragon Stompy has been letting me down (in the sense that MUD is almost stricktly better in every way) I've taken advice to look into other builds.  In spirit of staying mono-Red, I've opted for Welder Stax.

It's probably a little unconventional (example, no Chalice in the MD), but it seems like it could work.

Welder is broken, enough said.  The deck is built on being good on it's own, and Welder just kicks it up a notch to new levels of unfairness.  Nexus may seem a little strange, but I think it could be interesting.  I have recursion with Crucible, so he can chump block all day and he slowly shrinks Aggro's fire power.  And when he's not blocking it's an evasive 1/1 that only needs to connect 10 times (and it can probably get in under Bridge).  It also brings things more into budget for me.

Thoughts?  Does it look viable?  Any changes I should look into before I shell out for the cards? 
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
Generally, Welder Stax calls for bombier artifacts. Mindslaver hardlocks, Spine of Ish Sah/Sundering Titan/etc. wreak havoc for the low low cost of R and a spare artifact. Thing like that.

I also think you absolutely need all 4 Great Furnaces. Turn 1 Furnace-->Welder is simply too good.

If Welder is an engine, some kind of discard outlet would be great. It would even fit with your Ensnaring Bridge plan. Memory Jar is an absolute MUST. It's discard for Welder, and recurrable D7 is busted.

Magus of the Moon is playable here, I know you love him.

I'll think of more things later, lots going on in life right now. I love me some Welder Stax.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Adding 2 more Furnaces isn't an issue.  But I'm a little hesitant to really try to do a lot with Welder.  He is a 1-drop, and a 1/1 at that.  He'll be the target of so much removal, I'm hesitant to attempt to build the deck around him, rather than have the deck be great on it's own, but be stupid if I get a Welder in play.

That said, I might go with turning Hellkite into Mindslaver, and finding room for a Memory Jar, if only because Welder makes them really stupid.

As for really turning Welder into an Engine, I can't think of a good discard outlet.  Junk Golem? Masticore?

And the more I look at it, the more I want to add in Sundial of the Infinite.  Just keep ratcheting up Smokestack, then end the turn before I have to sac to it. Just try to mill them out 1 draw at a time, and it's not like I'd have cards to worry about by dodging my draw step. 
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
You shouldn't really think of it as building around Welder. Sundering Titan is an amazing card, and this is Vintage, casting him shouldn't be a problem (even without Black Lotus). Mana Vault, Sol Ring, and Grim Monolith are relatively cheap. Most of MUD/Stax's power comes from it's ridiculous mana production and curve.

Sundial/Stax is cute, but it isn't a hardlock and I can tell you from personal experience that it can bite you back more often than you expect.

Masticore, or a Masticore variant, is probably the best option, but a Wheel of Fortune would certainly be at home here if you can afford it.

As much as I love the card, and as mych as it's a powerhouse in Vintage, Chalice does belong sideboard here. Chalice@1 clashes too much with Welder. I would, however, want the other two Thorns maindeck.

Grafdigger's Cage seems like a better option for yard hate then Crypt. Crypt hurts you worse than Cage, since you can sac Cage with Welder. It also usually hurts them more, being permanent rather than one-shot. And finally, it splash hates Oath, Tinker, GSZ, etc.

If you want a second wincon, the new Dark Depths/Thespian's Stage win along with Expedition Map and Crucible could be interesting.
Updated List

Switched to Blinkmoth since the non-Infect beats play better with Masticore beats, and in multiples I can pump them rather than animate more.  Depths + Stage looks cute, but I don't know if I need another win-condition.  I've got Manticore, Blinkmoth and Barbarian Ring all applying constant damage at some point during a game.  I think I'd have to cut Blinkmoth or Barbarian Ring to accomidate for some Stages and a Depths, and I see nothing I'd want to cut for a pair of Maps.

Magus in the SB is actually mostly filler, but you're right, I do love this little guy.

I want to get Lodestone Golem back in the deck, but I'm just not seeing the room. 
My Decks
Cut lands for Lodestone. 25 is waaaay too many for Vintage, let alone MUD.

I would cut Blinky and sideboard (at best) Rings for aggro.

Max Opals. Buy a Mana Vault if you can find one, they're only a few bucks I think.

Bottled Cloister+Ensnaring Bridge seems too cute. Yes, MUD has a pretty meh aggro matchup, but I would probably just bring Bridge out of the sideboard and leave Cloister out completely.

I think Molten-Tail is better here than Razormane. Easier to get down, regenerates, burns harder and can burn players.

Other than that, I'd personally like 2 Sundering Titans, 1 Mindslaver, but it looks good.
Cloister isn't a bad way to draw more cards and its something I can tap for Tangle Wire. Razoremane shoots aggro dudes for free and has firststrike. Seems better than having to nom a Welder or Masticore to shoot. The removal I mostly see is exile so Regen is moot. Whats a good land count?

Edit:

Updated List (06/03/13)

I've decided to give a shot at seeing how the deck runs without the MD Aggro/Show and Tell Hate (Bridge + Cloister) and I found room for a 4th Masticore and 4 Lodestone (and a Mindslaver).

I'm looking to find room in my SB for those Bridges, and possibly the Rings if it turns out I'm not really using them often save for VS Aggro.

I keep wondering about REB, and if I really need it.
My Decks
Bump?

With the change to the Legend Rule, I'm looking to probably add a 3rd Mox Opal.  Not really sure what to cut.  I'm thinking a Barbarian Ring.

I'm probably going to switch out the Rings for something in any event.  They've mostly just been a source of constant damage, and not the Aggro hate I had been hoping for. 
My Decks