Magic 2014 "Masks of the Dimir" Decklist and Strategies

3156 posts / 0 new
Last post
i might remove countersquall when i get my Commandeer...o.o buut other then that its a pretty great card to prevent kills enchantments sweepers  and i can recur it for 6 mana and be able to use it lol...its staying there for now lol

For reasons stated previously, I don't like commandeer or countersquall. However, I think that taking countersquall out to put commandeer is a flawed trade.

Commandeer is an amazing card..:P course i run ThoughtScours and Post promos my only double black mana cost card will be Painful Quandry. Ima list all the viable things you can Comandeer just out of the promos.. 1 for each deck just cuz im tired Increasing Devotion, Harmonize, Reanimate, Sneak Attack, Cone of Flame, Angelic Destiny, Decree of Savagery, Reins of Power, Cryptic Command,Tiatanic Ultimatum...

now look here is my arguement for those who played 2013 you prolly know this very well....Lilianna is on her last legs....next turn shes dead her 2HG partner is top decking and just drew mana...you got it in the bag...then BAM! Exanguinate for the win .....now...game ending spells like that...things that dont get affected by summoning sickness... in a deck that honestly draws out the butt....Commandeer seems like a pretty awesome card...needless to say it does cost alot in both of its costs...but should we be using counters on the small fry stuff anyway..? this meta has an enchantment deck filled to the brim with useable stuff....i mean Pariah??? um hell yeah...? idk...your welcome to your opinions..but its Instant Speed Game Change against Non-Creature spells which even in the BIG3decks they have some pretty useable instants, sorceries and enchantments that can at the very least make up for the 2 card loss and buy time?....idk..
Arrrrggggg!!!!
I don't want to run Diluvian Primordial but the other three guys did in the mirror last night.
Horror ensued.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

its a great bomb end game and gives you creature and card advantage ....only problem is depending on whats in your graveyard they can clone it and do the same thing :P
its a great bomb end game and gives you creature and card advantage ....only problem is depending on whats in your graveyard they can clone it and do the same thing :P

Why do you think I'm sobbing about being the only one not running it last night?
Tongue Out

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Really want to test followed footsteps.  I think it belongs in a deck with at least 2x dismissers.  Recurring time ebb is incredibly powerful.
Really want to test followed footsteps.  I think it belongs in a deck with at least 2x dismissers.  Recurring time ebb is incredibly powerful.

Footsteps is functioning fine with Evil Twin. They throw out something you really, really like, sac your Twin and go get it son!
I know this is all rather obvious but the knowledge of and the doing of are two completely different things. One is most definitely better than the other.

Show

haha how op would it be ...you Commandeer somebodys Followed Footsteps get the clone immediately next turn :D Commandeer feels like a super b**** slap card :D
haha how op would it be ...you Commandeer somebodys Followed Footsteps get the clone immediately next turn :D Commandeer feels like a super b**** slap card :D

Commandeer has a place waiting for it. Superior 4ffa shenanigans indeed.

Show

Quick question: what blue cards do you want to exile?

2 + 2 = fish

Want to exile? It isn't about wanting to, you exile the cards you don't need at the time.

Nobody puts cards into their deck to exile for force of will, for example.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Quick question: what blue cards do you want to exile?

Well, threads becomes useless lategame. as well as sprites. Hell, even a guildmage if I already have one. There are plenty. You however should look at moroii.
Avenger of Zendikar is not game... Got a question as to whether a card without shroud or hexproof is good? Answer is, dies to removal. "Control Slivers"
HenWen, that combo dies to Pillar of Flame.

Dismisser is just too frail for his cost, I can't see me ever putting him back in.
Let me rephrase that: what two blue cards do you want to hold in your hand and then exile?

2 + 2 = fish

Can't wait to Followed Footsteps on someones Geralf's Messenger or their Undead Warchief.. so long as they don't play a fleshbag or tendrils right after, it's going to get pretty serious for them. I'm in the mind set that playing followed is better on your opponents creatures, although the temptation on Evil Twin(or Chittering) is obviously there.
Commandeer potential 2 card removal...Thought Scour,Threads of Disloyalty, Surveilling Sprite, Dimir GuildMage, DoomsDay Spectre(if need be, cuz lets face it he's situational), Treasure Hunt (if i dont already have mana). and their are multiples of most of those cards.

But to be honest...i would sacrifice a Fugue or an Archeomancer... if the pay off either wins me the game or fives me amazing board advantage (a.k.a full mana is tapped, no cards in hand and its a bomb, etc.)
So after promos i will be running the guildmage and the sprites in my better build ( I keep two lists; one fun, one "standard"); what will I want to banish there? 

2 + 2 = fish

Commandeer potential 2 card removal...Thought Scour,Threads of Disloyalty, Surveilling Sprite, Dimir GuildMage, DoomsDay Spectre(if need be, cuz lets face it he's situational), Treasure Hunt (if i dont already have mana). and their are multiples of most of those cards.

But to be honest...i would sacrifice a Fugue or an Archeomancer... if the pay off either wins me the game or fives me amazing board advantage (a.k.a full mana is tapped, no cards in hand and its a bomb, etc.)

I'll gladly sac any of those and Divination in order to take control of an opponents Grave Pact.

Show

Exactly I mean...there are some hella OP in Enchantments you can hijack from people and i couldnt even put a price on those given the right situation I mean Primeval Bounty anyone xD
Let me try this from a different angle.  You are playing the game normally.  There are two scenarios I will discuss.  I am assuming that noone wants to sack their gold or their other 5cmc+ cards (within what is normally run).

Scenario 1: You get commandeer in opening hand or draw it early on to have the same effect.  Do you want to banish your early blockers for something that may or may not be good?  Keep in mind that this is also a creature based meta kind of so far.

Scenario 2:  You don't get commandeer early on.  First, do you want to hold blue cards that you could be playing in your hand on the off chance of getting it later?  Second, let us assume you draw it later while topdecking.  How long will it be before you can get the cards in your hand to use the alternate cost.

My point here is that you kind of don't really ever want to pay the alternate cost for this card early on most of the time, because it is a prohibitive cost when a lot of things are not that high quality.

Later on, unless you started with it, you probably won't be keeping the cards in hand all of the time to make it useable that way.

So, the real reason I am looking at commandeer is while trying to decide if I want to hardcast it.  The answer honestly is...... not really.  Grave Pact is the dream target, but you may not and in many games won't get that kind of quality for seven mana or two banished cards.  Countersquall does better vs field wipes........ And do you really want to take that honor of the pure.

In conclusion, when looking at this card...... I would honestly start running diluvian primordial before I even tried to touch it.       

2 + 2 = fish

Can't wait to Followed Footsteps on someones Geralf's Messenger or their Undead Warchief.. so long as they don't play a fleshbag or tendrils right after, it's going to get pretty serious for them. I'm in the mind set that playing followed is better on your opponents creatures, although the temptation on Evil Twin(or Chittering) is obviously there.

Copy effects copy other copy effects. Followed Footsteps on an Evil Twin won't get you another Evil Twin
Well, in DotP it might. But it shouldn't.

Copy effects copy other copy effects. Followed Footsteps on an Evil Twin won't get you another Evil Twin

That's good to know, thank you.
Let me try this from a different angle.  You are playing the game normally.  There are two scenarios I will discuss.  I am assuming that noone wants to sack their gold or their other 5cmc+ cards (within what is normally run).

Scenario 1: You get commandeer in opening hand or draw it early on to have the same effect.  Do you want to banish your early blockers for something that may or may not be good?  Keep in mind that this is also a creature based meta kind of so far.

Scenario 2:  You don't get commandeer early on.  First, do you want to hold blue cards that you could be playing in your hand on the off chance of getting it later?  Second, let us assume you draw it later while topdecking.  How long will it be before you can get the cards in your hand to use the alternate cost.

My point here is that you kind of don't really ever want to pay the alternate cost for this card early on most of the time, because it is a prohibitive cost when a lot of things are not that high quality.

Later on, unless you started with it, you probably won't be keeping the cards in hand all of the time to make it useable that way.

So, the real reason I am looking at commandeer is while trying to decide if I want to hardcast it.  The answer honestly is...... not really.  Grave Pact is the dream target, but you may not and in many games won't get that kind of quality for seven mana or two banished cards.  Countersquall does better vs field wipes........ And do you really want to take that honor of the pure.

In conclusion, when looking at this card...... I would honestly start running diluvian primordial before I even tried to touch it.       

Mydecks Jammed with mana so hard casting it wouldnt take me long...and personally i think running both is viable...Diluvian and Commandeer ..just think about it like this...its INSTANT speed...plus you can play it at basically anytime you choose...game winning noncreature spells are pretty abundant...

Scenario 1: no, play like you normally do? ...my deck is Blue Heavy...plus this deck in itself draws plenty you wont have to sacrifice too much then the deck already does in the meta to get the job done...just let Commandeer sit in your hand and when they pull Eldrazi conscription with all 8 mana BOOM ...board control lol...

Scenario 2:If you have an empty hand with Dimir somethings wrong :P...i mean ALL your draw cards have to be at the bottom...Sprites? Divination? Consult?....its a bad card to top deck no doubt ...but if your top decking you better have gotten the mana you needed down..or else you were gonna lose anyway...In a draw heavy deck like Dimir i think its viable for both its mana costs assuming your build is blue heavy in the first place :P my only Double black mana cost card is gonna be Painful Quandry

Again, hold in your hand? It is a poorly built or very unlucky Dimir that is running out of cards at any point in the game, and most of what I run is dual coloured.

The whole point of the deck is that you can keep your options while limiting your opponents. I'll exile whichever cards I have in my hand if the commandeer is worth it, and if it isn't then there is no issue,
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.

I used to think this way also. Then after a few games of enchanting my opponent's best creature, I realized that the enchanted creature is now either effectively unblockable as I didn't want to kill it (especially if it is something fragile like a warchief) or I couldn't attack because I knew they would block with it. Although, the 2nd scenario is not terrible, as I'll be gaining an incremental advantage each round that would eventually overwhelm them.

i think the most common use of this spell will be throwing it on your own creature with a tasty EtB effect and hope they don't topdeck removal (because they are topdecking against you before you play this). Of course situationally, choosing their creature will be the best play.

I plan to give this card a go, but don't think it will make my final cut. Unlike Fool's Demise, which changes the dynamic of the board state the moment it comes into play, Footsteps takes minimum of one round to do anything.  

OH and why Honor of the Pure Y not Martyr's Bond or Increasing Devotion and even if the game depended on it..Oblivion Ring
And do you really want to take that honor of the pure.

You realize that I might want to take it so THEY have no benefit from it.
You sure have a narrow focus man.

Show

If you Comandeer an O Ring, will this card allow you to get what's under it back, and also allow you to take something of theirs? (that's how I read it anyway)
You would gain control before they target your card.
So - you would be able to choose the target for it 

Ipad - neosilk76 
Steam - neosilk 

Tired of the new forum format, and all it's problems?  Try a new forum!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

If you Commandeer an Oblivion Ring, the ring won't have entered the battlefield yet, so there will be nothing to get back.

It enters the battlefield under your control, so the choice of what to exile is yours.
If you Commandeer an Oblivion Ring, the ring won't have entered the battlefield yet, so there will be nothing to get back.

It enters the battlefield under your control, so the choice of what to exile is yours.

So this can only be used on spells that are currently being cast? I thought it would work on items already in play aswell, if not.. that's a pretty bad drawback, and as so, it probably won't make my cut. (for the cost, I assumed it was multifuctional)
honestly, if I am playing avacyn's glory, and you banished two cards from my hand to use that commandeer on my honor of the pure, then I would consider that 3 for 1 trade worth it

If you cast 7 mana....... then I would still consider it worth it.

Keeping cards in hand may not be hard, but keeping cards you would want to exile........ That can be much harder, especially when you are considering taking something just to deny if from your opponent.  This will go the way of gladeheart.

2 + 2 = fish

So this can only be used on spells that are currently being cast? I thought it would work on items already in play aswell, if not.. that's a pretty bad drawback, and as so, it probably won't make my cut.

Works on things already in play also.

Show

So this can only be used on spells that are currently being cast? I thought it would work on items already in play aswell, if not.. that's a pretty bad drawback, and as so, it probably won't make my cut.

Target noncreature spell.

Spells only exist on the stack.
honestly, if I am playing avacyn's glory, and you banished two cards from my hand to use that commandeer on my honor of the pure, then I would consider that 3 for 1 trade worth it

Keeping cards in hand may not be hard, but keeping cards you would want to exile........ That can be much harder, especially when you are considering taking something just to deny if from your opponent.  This will go the way of gladeheart.

If that honor buffed your creatures enough to kill me and I took it, and swung for lethal on my turn would it still be in your favor? 

It's a card that will have uses and that is all that matters. I really wanna comandeer a tooth and nail, and laugh maniacly.
Avenger of Zendikar is not game... Got a question as to whether a card without shroud or hexproof is good? Answer is, dies to removal. "Control Slivers"

Target noncreature spell.

Spells only exist on the stack.

That's my understanding as well.. Once it resolves, it's no longer a spell, right?

Ipad - neosilk76 
Steam - neosilk 

Tired of the new forum format, and all it's problems?  Try a new forum!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Crap your right. I was reading it wrong.

Show

If that honor buffed your creatures enough to kill me and I took it, and swung for lethal on my turn would it still be in your favor? 

It's a card that will have uses and that is all that matters. I really wanna comandeer a tooth and nail, and laugh maniacly.

If the entwine cost is paid, does it allow you to also use entwine.. for some reason, I think this card is going to mess up the game just as much as Redirect, Twin Cast and Reverberate, which means I won't be able to include it, and if what Puzzled said is correct, I think it loses an awful lot of it's luster.

Thanks again Puzzledmint.

This is how it works with stolen identity so it should be coded correctly.
If the entwine cost is paid, does it allow you to also use entwine.. for some reason, I think this card is going to mess up the game just as much as Redirect, Twin Cast and Reverberate, which means I won't be able to include it, and if what Puzzled said is correct, I think it loses an awful lot of it's luster.

Thanks again Puzzledmint.

Commandeer doesn't let you choose new modes for a spell. If both modes were chosen for Tooth and Nail via Entwine, then you will get the benefit of both. Tooth and Nail doesn't target, so it should still work.
I think you cannot target things in play, but I would not consider it if you could.  I am simply implying that the cost is way too high for the effect.  If you actually make a list targets, you get ramp, destruction, and the enchantments that everyone runs.   The only deck that Commandeer does not just end up reading "steal 2 mana destruction card or ramp card" most of the time is Guardians of Light.  The cost is too prohibitive at that point.

2 + 2 = fish