Magic 2014 "Masks of the Dimir" Decklist and Strategies

3156 posts / 0 new
Last post

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Awesome, the decklists are coming early this year. Thanks Sean.
Hi all! I thought you'd enjoy getting the first look at this deck featured in Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers. Enjoy!

Sean Gibbons

Woooh!!! :-)

Many thanks!
Cipher me up! Really looking forward to a proper U/B deck after the disappointment of RG. Here's to hoping!
Hands of Binding had me excited, then I saw Necropolis Regent and was very impressed. Then at the end I asked myself, "How does this deck win?" As of right now, I just don't see it. Maybe I'm just bad, so someone please help me out here.
Well that's at least 60% less awful than Rogues' Gallery. Lessons have been learnt. Finally, Consult the Necrosages. We actually know Guardian of the Ages - forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t...  but not Illusionary Armour. If I were to guess, I'd say an Empyrial Armor clone, except possibly with a drawback of the creature dies if targeted. If so, probably at 1:U:. Might be just plain old 1:U::U: though. Of course for all I know It's just +2/+2 and Flying. 

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Yes! Oh man, I'm super excited now! This deck looks way better than the Dimir deck of 2013!

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

I'm hoping a Cavern Harpy shows up at some point.
Hands of Binding had me excited, then I saw Necropolis Regent and was very impressed. Then at the end I asked myself, "How does this deck win?" As of right now, I just don't see it. Maybe I'm just bad, so someone please help me out here.

Well, the base deck I have questions on, but it's still packing eight fliers, with half of them being 4/4 or bigger, along with 2x Sleep to get rid of pesky blockers. Looks like a slow start, but the unlocks add another four fliers and several copy/theft cards. It seems like enough to get by, with the draw and discard being a lot better than last year's offering.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Despite the lack of counterspells (maybe with the expansion), I'm glad this deck has good removal.

Good work, Sean. Maybe you can show more decks for us. 1 for week, maybe...

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Vengeful Vampire? That's pretty terrible. Another in the unlocks? Terribler. Maybe I'm being overly critical, but I wanted this to be a permission-based control deck! No counterspells and some pretty bad removal from the quick glance that I had.
Yay the decks are coming! Looks much better than the on in D13 since it actually has some nice cards to help control and actually keep the field stable and allow cretaures to easily get through like Sleep for instance.
True it could be a bit better I suppose with more counters and all that but at least it's not that limited compared to in D13. 
Also woo Cipher! I was kind of excited when I saw we were getting a coin flip card and now we have cipher too!
I wonder what illusionary armour is, I guess it provides some kind of avoidability, most likely making cards ahve "cannot be blocked (unblockable is being changed so all of it is this in M14)" but armour also suggests it may also pump stats a bit so maybe +1/+1 too.

Eye kneed teh speelchequer bach!

Despite the lack of counterspells (maybe with the expansion), I'm glad this deck has good removal.

Good work, Sean. Maybe you can show more decks for us. 1 for week, maybe...

Ah, you won't have to wait that long. ;)

Sean Gibbons

this deck look tempo/card advantage oriented...personally i love having 3xChittering rat. That card is a beast. The other rats are nice as well. For sure the main deck has 4-5 terribad cards but hey its DOTP. Be happy there is no vanilla guy and...yay for having ONE conditional counterspell =/. 

Well, the base deck I have questions on, but it's still packing eight fliers, with half of them being 4/4 or bigger, along with 2x Sleep to get rid of pesky blockers. Looks like a slow start, but the unlocks add another four fliers and several copy/theft cards. It seems like enough to get by, with the draw and discard being a lot better than last year's offering.

A lot of those fliers are overcosted for their stats (Smog Elemental) and many of them have drawbacks. I mean, I'm seeing 3/2 fliers at six mana and 2/2 creatures for six mana that ship another creature to the top of the library. Color me unimpresssed.
This decks looks really bad, no removal...

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

I wonder who is behind the deck building process of these decks...what factors do they keep on mind?
We almost had to run Barony Vampire in last year's Dimir deck. This is definite upgrade.
This decks looks really bad, no removal...

Threads of Disloyalty says hello. Sigh.
Vengeful Vampire? That's pretty terrible. Another in the unlocks? Terribler. Maybe I'm being overly critical, but I wanted this to be a permission-based control deck! No counterspells and some pretty bad removal from the quick glance that I had.

The deck actually has good, tempo-based removal. Putting a dude on top of their library can sometimes be better than killing the dude. Combine this with evasive creatures and discard and you have a cool aggro-control deck.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

I have to agree with Hakeem...I'm not too sure about this deck.  A lot of the better cards have either UU or BB in the cost as well which can hold back a duel colored deck.  I'm still interested to try it out of course (there always seems to be something I don't quite notice until I start playing a deck) but at first glance I don't see a very solid deck here.  I do love the Cipher mechanic, that may be the saving grace for this deck and as others mentioned the Illusionary Armor could be anything.  They said there will be promo cards again, so who knows what may be added to this list in the future.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Nice thanks sean! 

Deck looks fun but not overly powerfull. But it does have Evil Twin which is just an awesome card (even better with the new legendary rules! ) and some fun interactions between cards like Chittering rats and Thought Scour. Also loving that we get to use cipher.

Hoping the promo unlocks brings good removal (give us some Agony Warp again) and a couple of counters though. Weirdly enough Duskmantle Seer was on the cover of this deck, but isn't in the main deck.. Hmm..
Seems to have similar issues to Rogue's Gallery of having too many low CMC double blue and double black cards with only 4 tap-sacs and a Treasure Hunt to compensate.  Hopefully we can at least adjust the land count and ratios ourselves now so we don't have to game the bugged auto-distribution algorithm.

Also just generally seems to share Rogue's Gallery's penchant for including a lot of cards that aren't even close to being playable in a constructed environment (and I'd say 2013 was somewhere in between limited and constructed in terms of what passes for playable). 

I'm unimpressed, in any case.  The deck is kind of all over the place, adhering less to a viable game plan than to a set of gimmicks, leaving the player to sort through the mess and cobble together as competent a frankenstein as they can.
I'm not as versed as some others when it comes to the lore in MtG...Is the Dimir Guild associated with nonsense and disorganization? ;P  GL playing this vs. the Eldrazi or Dragon decks...

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

I'm not as versed as some others when it comes to the lore in MtG...Is the Dimir Guild associated with nonsense and disorganization? ;P  GL playing this vs. the Eldrazi or Dragon decks...

There's a pretty large chunk of discard in this. Especially post unlocks, I could see this forcing either of those decks into topdeck mode very quickly.

Admittedly, both of them have a *lot* of good stuff to topdeck, so you'll need to be putting pressure on as well. I wouldn't want to put money on it, but I'd say a streamlined version of this shouldn't get steamrolled.

Ya, I'm really hoping promos will straighten this deck out.  Then again the other decks will also be getting promos...lol.

Nice thanks sean! 

Deck looks fun but not overly powerfull. But it does have Evil Twin which is just an awesome card (even better with the new legendary rules! ) and some fun interactions between cards like Chittering rats and Thought Scour. Also loving that we get to use cipher.

Hoping the promo unlocks brings good removal (give us some Agony Warp again) and a couple of counters though. Weirdly enough Duskmantle Seer was on the cover of this deck, but isn't in the main deck.. Hmm..

I actually had to google the new legendary rule. Hehe. Does Evil Twin not copy the legendary-ness of its legendary target?

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

I wish Evil Twin was legendary!  Haha, actually I don't care, it just sounded good. ;P  I do like this card though, seems like fun.

this deck can win vs the eldrazi ramp only by slowing them long enough as there are no answers once they resolve, beside the two clone effect and 1 hand of binding...
Nice thanks sean! 

I actually had to google the new legendary rule. Hehe. Does Evil Twin not copy the legendary-ness of its legendary target?

It does, and with the old rules that would mean but the twin and the legendary creature would die as soon as twin hit the battlefield. Under the new rules each player can have one copy of each legendary creature. So if you're opponent have a legend down you can lay down twin, copy the legend and next turn use the twin's ability to kill the opponents legend  Works great with eldrazi too! 
Something tells me this deck is going to be a powerhouse. You're all comparing it to Mul Daya and Dracomancer, but I have to wonder if there's a Goblin-esque aggro deck in the game that this deck will stomp without trying. Mul Daya and Dracomancer are sorely lacking in removal and low-end survivability, but this deck seems to at least possess a decent amount of low-end removal and a good amount of tempo. Don't count this deck out before we see the others. Remember that we still have a Knight deck to eventually see.
All we can do is compare it to what we have atm, and it doesn't look that great.  I agree it might do better against smaller creature decks.  There is still the glaring fact that it has a lot of early UU and BB costing cards which will hurt any duel colored deck and grind any tempo to a halt.  Mul Daya has the life gain from 4x Grazing Gladehart paired with tons of ramp to get it where it needs to be in no time.  The dragon deck has plenty of tokens to chump until dragons come out.  It also has some fetch as well as the 4x Dragonspeaker Shaman to help ensure dragons come out earlier rather than later.

Nice thanks sean! 

It does, and with the old rules that would mean but the twin and the legendary creature would die as soon as twin hit the battlefield. Under the new rules each player can have one copy of each legendary creature. So if you're opponent have a legend down you can lay down twin, copy the legend and next turn use the twin's ability to kill the opponents legend  Works great with eldrazi too! 

True, but would Wizards have had the foresight to implement it in DotP?

"Lif is too short."

Lol, that is a very good question ampz...

Something tells me this deck is going to be a powerhouse. You're all comparing it to Mul Daya and Dracomancer, but I have to wonder if there's a Goblin-esque aggro deck in the game that this deck will stomp without trying. Mul Daya and Dracomancer are sorely lacking in removal and low-end survivability, but this deck seems to at least possess a decent amount of low-end removal and a good amount of tempo. Don't count this deck out before we see the others. Remember that we still have a Knight deck to eventually see.

Dracomancer has lots of good removal, 3 x maelstrom Pulse and 2 x Jund Charm among others. So it will probably do fine against the faster aggro decks.. Also when you say knight, do you mean the human deck??
Nice thanks sean! 

Well, DotP design team are literally the guys that have been testing the new legend rule for almost a year.

I forgot about those destroys Dragon. ;P  I was assuming he meant the human deck, or maybe the samurai deck.

I forgot about those destroys Dragon. ;P  I was assuming he meant the human deck, or maybe the samurai deck.

Pretty sure they will since it's M14 rules changes and D14 is also part of showing off M14 and I do believe past Duels games have had all the updated rules of the core set they represent e.g. I believe when the terminology of dying was cleaned up and simply put as "dies", duels showed that off first.

Eye kneed teh speelchequer bach!

This deck certainly looks much better than RG from DOTP 2013. And the power level seems almost the same from the other 2 revealed decks.

Good question.. Time will tell, but rules changes isn't something Maro suddenly comes up with over coffe one day and has implemented by dinner (I think!), so they should have had plenty of time to prepare. I'm betting that's it's there since it's a pretty simple fix.
Sign In to post comments