Varolz Scavenging effect.

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I have a question about Varolz's scavenging effect.
Let's say that I use his ablitiy to scavenge a creature like Lord of Extinction, how many +1/+1 counters would the target creature get? I had asked someone before and they said the target would get none. However I watched the Command Zone segment during Pro Tour Dragon's Maze, and they said that it would get counters based off of Lord of Extinction's effect. So which is it?
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
Scavenge checks the power of the card as it last existed in the graveyard. Lord of Extinction has a CDA (characteristic-defining ability) that functions in all zones. So if there are a combined 13 cards in all graveyards at the time you activate scavenge and exile LoE (reducing the number of cards to 12), the target creature will get 13 counters.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Lord of Extinction has a characteristic defining ability (CDA), and those work in all zones and even outside the game. If you scavenge the Lord via Varolz, the Scar-Striped's ability, the targeted creature will recieve as many +1/+1 counters as there are cards in all graveyards. (Note, that the Lord itself is no longer in a graveyard by the time the scavenge ability resolves and so doesn't count toward that number.)

Edit: Actually, I'm not quite sure, if LKI is used. After all, scavenge uses the power of "the card you exiled". Shouldn't the ability look at the card in exile?

I just started up a Draft experiment in the Limited forums. If you're interested in Draft, come and check it out.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/limited-sealed-and-draft/threads/4206961

Once again aced the Rules Advisor test (Feb 2015). (I still make mistakes now and then, but who doesn't.)

"Simple questions" usually need rather complex answers, while complex questions often come down to no more than a simple "yes" or "no".

It uses the object in the graveyard.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Lord of Extinction has a characteristic defining ability (CDA), and those work in all zones and even outside the game. If you scavenge the Lord via Varolz, the Scar-Striped's ability, the targeted creature will recieve as many +1/+1 counters as there are cards in all graveyards. (Note, that the Lord itself is no longer in a graveyard by the time the scavenge ability resolves and so doesn't count toward that number.)

Edit: Actually, I'm not quite sure, if LKI is used. After all, scavenge uses the power of "the card you exiled". Shouldn't the ability look at the card in exile?

The ability is using the information from the object that exiled itself, and not the new object it became afterwards in exile. You use LKI.

Level 3 DCI Judge Mission Viejo, CA

Just for a bit of extra confirmation:

4/15/2013The number of counters that a card’s scavenge ability puts on a creature is based on the card’s power as it last existed in the graveyard.

I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Thank you everyone.
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Being in Exile wouldn't change LOE's P/T anyway would it?
If the Lord is in the graveyard, it'll count itself as one of the cards in a graveyard and thus get +1/+1 from itself. If the Lord is in exile, this won't happen.

"The card you exiled" was the card in the graveyard. You typically don't exile cards that are already exiled.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

A tidbit from Daniel Kitachewsky L3
Moving an object, then doing something based on that object is a frequent interaction. In these cases, the rule is that you're looking at the object as it was in the previous zone, unless it doesn't make sense. If all you require is information from the object, then you use the object in the previous zone (and accordingly its last known information since it was most likely moved).

An example where it wouldn't make sense is Heretic's Punishment which would usually look at the cards put in the graveyard to determine the damage dealt.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Sign In to post comments