5/27/2013 MM: "Token of Appreciation"

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Making Magic, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

DOUBLING SEASON!
Nitpicking time: Acorn Harvest was Torment, not Odyssey, as can be seen from the "pay 3 life" part of the flashback cost.  (Part of the Deep Analysis cycle.)  Chatter of the Squirrel is the Odyssey one.

Also, for Bestial Menace, I am reminded of the following silly death scenes: youtu.be/OuSYaIvKpMQ?t=7m19s
I saw "Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker", and then I saw "click here to see the next preview card" and then I was disappointed. I do hope that Kiki-Jiki is also in the set.
I thought this set was supposed to be all about cards that were playable in modern?  Thallid? DOUBLING SEASON? Come on guys, I expected better :/
I thought this set was supposed to be all about cards that were playable in modern?  Thallid? DOUBLING SEASON? Come on guys, I expected better :/

Doubling Season will greatly excite a large portion of Magic's player base. It alone has made me a lot happier about the box that I pre-ordered.

As far as the set in its entirety goes, I'd say it's about putting these Modern cards in a different environment where they do different things. They can't fill the entire set with Modern-viable cards because there just aren't enough. So their idea is to craft a drafting environment around those cards. Give them some time, and then judge them on the end product, not on four cards.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.

Not at common, and it's a stretch at uncommon.  I mean, how often do those rarities contribute to Constructed these days anyway?  Also Doubling Season is tremendously popular and since it's overall a Spike set, I see no harm in reprinting a card some Johnny/Timmy players love.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Fable of Wolf and Owl made multiple different tokens before Bestial Menace. Anyone know any others? 
Wait there is also Wand of the Elements. Does this ruly only apply to one-shot effects or something?

And Mogg Infestation did what Day of the Dragons did long before it. 

I saw "Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker", and then I saw "click here to see the next preview card" and then I was disappointed. I do hope that Kiki-Jiki is also in the set.

Show
Yes it is, with FtV art

Fable of Wolf and Owl made multiple different tokens before Bestial Menace. Anyone know any others? 
Wait there is also Wand of the Elements. Does this ruly only apply to one-shot effects or something?

One Dozen Eyes
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
One Dozen Eyes

So yeah I don't understand that rule at all anymore =p
One Dozen Eyes

So yeah I don't understand that rule at all anymore =p

All the cited cards created multiple token types far before Bestial Menace did. I think MaRo is just misplacing the moment they came to that decision (or maybe Bestial Menace was the moment they made it official). One Dozen Eyes is practically the same as Bestial Menace.
76125763 wrote:
Am I the only one that is confused why thallid is in the set? thallid is only in modern as a timeshifted card and still has the old border.
It's in the set to give them an excuse for the Doubling Season reprint.

"No, look guys, we made a token theme and everything!" 
DSeason has weird flavor but I can't help admiring the art anyway.
When I saw Doubling Season, it made my jaw drop. Too bad I already have all the copies I need.
I'm already impressed with curent populate buids

thiis could make them competative
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

You write a paragraph on Gemini Engine without mentioning that it's a blatant callback to Stangg?

But anyway, yay, Doubling Season with awesome artwork. I had honestly thought DS would only be reprinted in a Commander-style product.

The commons are mostly just junk though: no use to casual or Modern. Kinda predictable but stilll disappointing. Usable in triple-MM draft, obviously, but MM draft just seems like it's trying to be Cube draft but failing.

If we see some commons like Faith's Fetters, Oblivion Ring, Lightning Bolt, and Sprout Swarm then I might reconsider. But as it looks at the moment, the rares are awesome but that's all, and I ain't buying a booster pack of this for just one card.
Sign In to post comments