Censure of Unity "damage rolls" calculation

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been wondering about the exact meaning of the Censure of Unity's wording and how it is supposed to play out.  The exact wording in the description is:

Censure of Unity
You gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls against your oath of enmity target for each ally adjacent to that target. The bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.

My question is, when it says "damage rolls," does that mean that (assuming lvl 11 and that only 1 ally is next to the enemy) it only adds 2 damage total to the end result?  Or does it mean, for every damage dice that you role, 2 points are added?

So, for instance, let's say that you used a 2[W] power.  In the above situation, would the damage added be 2[W]+2, or would it be 2[W]+(2*2) since you are rolling two damage dice and adding +2 per die?

I'd like to say that it's the second option (obviously), but I'm not sure if that's the intended meaning when they originally wrote the description.  I'd rather play a character correctly than to cheat just to look like some uber-powerful god (and piss off everyone else).
A damage roll is a roll of dice to determine damage. Plurial which means multiple dice may compose a single damage roll.

RC 222 Damage Roll: When most attacks deal damage, they do so through a damage roll: a roll of dice to determine damage. Whenever a power or other effect requires a damage roll, it specifies which dice to roll and how many of them.

Thank you for the reply and the source work.

I have one other thought on top of that: if you suppliment the damage through some means (such as multi-class ranger for Hunter's Quarry or rogue for Sneak Attack), do you get extra damage from the Censure of Unity when you roll that damage?  Or is all damage rolled in relation to one attack roll concidered the "damage roll?"
no, hunter's quarry and sneak attack are both extra damage.  You don't add unity to those.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Thank you for the reply and the source work.

I have one other thought on top of that: if you suppliment the damage through some means (such as multi-class ranger for Hunter's Quarry or rogue for Sneak Attack), do you get extra damage from the Censure of Unity when you roll that damage?  Or is all damage rolled in relation to one attack roll concidered the "damage roll?"

No & yes, respectively.

Also, it's curious that you ask this question in regards to Censure of Unity.  The same question arises for everything that applies bonuses to damage rolls, e.g., enhancement bonuses on magic weapons, feat bonuses, etc.  All of these apply bonuses to damage rolls, so it wouldn't be a unique gimmick to Censure of Unity alone that its effect could be multiplied in this way, though of course the gimmick flouts the rules.
Sign In to post comments