Initiative - Ready/Delay Action > Flat Footed

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone,

I have a little question.

Let's say you win Initiative and you act second on a 4 members fight.

When it's my turn I decide to Delay my action because I want to know what enemy is capable of and then cast Hold Person on the most dangerous.

If I act last on my first turn (even though I was second) will I be considered flat footed against all enemies? Rules says that you are considered flat footed until you take your first action on your turn, and basically Delay is a non-action, so I would understand that you are flat footed, but...

It doesn't make sense. I actually rolled a higher initiative, and I basically have more reflexes than the enemy in preparing for the incoming battle, so why would I be Flat footed?
I'm delaying my turn, but I'm doing it willingly.

The same happens for Ready actions.
First turn I ready an action "if any of my enemies cast spells I target them an cast hold person".

Let's say their fighter run to me, I've prepared action which hasn't triggered yet, am I considered flat footed even though at my turn I chose to prepare this action and only be entitled to a standard action? 
Talk. Talking is a free action that can be taken out of initiative order. But, if you don't want to do that, delaying lowers your initiative level, so, yeah, you're flat-footed.
Customer Disservice of the House of Trolls Resident Secretly Ron Paul God of Spite and Sloth
I guessed so too, which sucks! haahah.

I'll have to speak with my DM what he thinks about it and Ready action as well.

It could aslo be said that you're so concentrated on your prepared action that you are flat footed until you act 
You can't Delay until your turn comes up.  Your turn comes up which enables you to act and it that act is to "delay" you've still done something.  Now delaying on the first round means you're giving up your ability to act on someone else's "flat-footed" condition but if it doesn't matter.

I will also mention that if you have some ability that last "until the begining of your next turn" or even "until the end of your next turn" you should NOT be able to use Delay to extend the duration.  With the "until the beginning" it should be pretty obvious as you Delay when your turn starts.  With "until the end of" it still applies because you are essentially using your "turn" to Delay until you actually choose to act.

Ready requires an action (which is essentially what you ready) so there is no way you should be considered flat-footed after you use that. 
Sounds interesting, my act is to delay, which means I've taken an action and I'm not considered Flat footed.

I was very interested in this, because I'm playing a cleric, it will be sort of a controller/buffer and I want to be sure who is the most dangerous enemy and not randomly controlling the battlefield.

Thanks StevenO and EruditeApe! 
Sounds interesting, my act is to delay, which means I've taken an action and I'm not considered Flat footed.

Wrong. Delaying is not an action. Whether or not it should be is up for debate, but that doesn't really matter because it's not. Any claim otherwise is bull and completely unsupported by the rules(Which, given a certain unnamed poster's record is hardly surprising).
Customer Disservice of the House of Trolls Resident Secretly Ron Paul God of Spite and Sloth

Wrong. Delaying is not an action. Whether or not it should be is up for debate, but that doesn't really matter because it's not. Any claim otherwise is bull and completely unsupported by the rules(Which, given a certain unnamed poster's record is hardly surprising).

I know delaying is a non action, but the idea for flat footed until your turn is that your reaction wasn't as fast as everyone's elses, therefore you are sorta of surprised by the sudden outburst of violence/spellcasting/movement, whatever.

If I'm willingly delaying my action, shoudln't I be granted my Dex to AC and not be flat footed? The rules only speak about taking an action on your turn to not be considered flat footed, but even though delaying is not an action per se, it doesn't really fit if I'm doing it on purpose, it's different. 
Delaying is not an action, but according to the description of being flat-footed (PHB, page 137): "At the start of a battle, before you have had a chance to act (specifically, before your first regular turn in the initiative order), you are flat-footed."

And from the glossary definition of flat-footed (PHB, page 308): "Characters are flat-footed until their first turns in the initiative cycle."

So, even though you've delayed instead of taking any actions, because you've reached your first regular turn in the initiative order and have had the chance to act, you're no longer flat-footed.  And, of course, the same applies to readying, because it's reaching your first turn that causes you to be no longer flat-footed.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Oh, nice, thanks! I just wanted to make sure about it.

Thanks guys, much appreciated !!!

You guys rock! It's so lovely to see people still playing 3.5 =) 

To quote a popular line I from certain forum members, "Just ignore this."

Given that it's source is often forced to take 'breaks' from the board this advice is something many of us try to take but the forum member is really hard to ignore.
A completely unrelated comment: this site has a "block member" feature. Makes it a lot easier to ignore people. Wink
A completely unrelated comment: this site has a "block member" feature. Makes it a lot easier to ignore people. 

Easier perhaps except when it is everywhere and gets into massive WoT arguements.