What is the difference between Campaigns Settings, Campaigns, and Adventures

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I remember years ago playing a "campaign" meant a long term adventure that encompassed an entire story and usually went from 1st lvl thru 20th or something like that. Now I look at these "Campaign Settings" and it's just different worlds.  What happened to old long term campaigns, doesn't anybody do that anymore?

The reason I'm asking is that I am in the process of writing my own homebrew and it's pretty long and involved. Definitely more than one adventure, but I dont know if its enough to be considered it's own campaign.  So for the record, what is the difference between campaign, campaign setting, and adventure? Undecided
A campaign is a series of generally connected adventures, not necessarily from 1-20.  A campaign setting would be a pre-made (usually) world like Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms.  Your homebrew would be considered the setting for your campaign.  An adventure is just that, a single "quest" for the party.
I remember years ago playing a "campaign" meant a long term adventure that encompassed an entire story and usually went from 1st lvl thru 20th or something like that. Now I look at these "Campaign Settings" and it's just different worlds.  What happened to old long term campaigns, doesn't anybody do that anymore?

The reason I'm asking is that I am in the process of writing my own homebrew and it's pretty long and involved. Definitely more than one adventure, but I dont know if its enough to be considered it's own campaign.  So for the record, what is the difference between campaign, campaign setting, and adventure? 

A Campaign Setting is a world to place campaigns or adventures in. Think about our world (Our Universe)... Our world is a setting (essentially), everything we do happens here. Campaigns are a series of Adventures. And adventures are basically short quests that can link together to form campaigns. '

And yes... People do still run campaigns. Campaign Setting also have been around since D&D started in the 70's starting with Blackmoor.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

A campaign is a series of generally connected adventures, not necessarily from 1-20.  A campaign setting would be a pre-made (usually) world like Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms.  Your homebrew would be considered the setting for your campaign.  An adventure is just that, a single "quest" for the party.

Beat me to it.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

OK, that's what I thought. Is there a general range for the number of adventures that make up a campaign?  I'm sure 2 or 3 linked adventures dont necessarily make up a campaign. Lets say I might b e looking to be published in the future, is there a standard?
As many adventures as you and the players want.
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne! Resident Invisible Man Lurker in the House of Trolls A Testament to My Glory
Campaigns usually have a goal to complete by the end of it. They can be as short or as long as you like. 

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

Just hazarding a guess; you probably won't get an entire campaign published. Usually you'll probably just get individual adventures published (possibly in a series format, but unlikely as a single publication).

I think most groups that use published adventures just weave them into their campaign, but I have no way of confirming this suspicion, especially since I don't use published adventures. xD