What is the difference between Campaigns Settings, Campaigns, and Adventures

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I remember years ago playing a "campaign" meant a long term adventure that encompassed an entire story and usually went from 1st lvl thru 20th or something like that. Now I look at these "Campaign Settings" and it's just different worlds.  What happened to old long term campaigns, doesn't anybody do that anymore?

The reason I'm asking is that I am in the process of writing my own homebrew and it's pretty long and involved. Definitely more than one adventure, but I dont know if its enough to be considered it's own campaign.  So for the record, what is the difference between campaign, campaign setting, and adventure? Undecided
A campaign is a series of generally connected adventures, not necessarily from 1-20.  A campaign setting would be a pre-made (usually) world like Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms.  Your homebrew would be considered the setting for your campaign.  An adventure is just that, a single "quest" for the party.
I remember years ago playing a "campaign" meant a long term adventure that encompassed an entire story and usually went from 1st lvl thru 20th or something like that. Now I look at these "Campaign Settings" and it's just different worlds.  What happened to old long term campaigns, doesn't anybody do that anymore?

The reason I'm asking is that I am in the process of writing my own homebrew and it's pretty long and involved. Definitely more than one adventure, but I dont know if its enough to be considered it's own campaign.  So for the record, what is the difference between campaign, campaign setting, and adventure? 

A Campaign Setting is a world to place campaigns or adventures in. Think about our world (Our Universe)... Our world is a setting (essentially), everything we do happens here. Campaigns are a series of Adventures. And adventures are basically short quests that can link together to form campaigns. '

And yes... People do still run campaigns. Campaign Setting also have been around since D&D started in the 70's starting with Blackmoor.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

A campaign is a series of generally connected adventures, not necessarily from 1-20.  A campaign setting would be a pre-made (usually) world like Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms.  Your homebrew would be considered the setting for your campaign.  An adventure is just that, a single "quest" for the party.

Beat me to it.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

OK, that's what I thought. Is there a general range for the number of adventures that make up a campaign?  I'm sure 2 or 3 linked adventures dont necessarily make up a campaign. Lets say I might b e looking to be published in the future, is there a standard?
As many adventures as you and the players want.
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne! Resident Invisible Man Lurker in the House of Trolls A Testament to My Glory
Campaigns usually have a goal to complete by the end of it. They can be as short or as long as you like. 

Fear is the Mind Killer

Just hazarding a guess; you probably won't get an entire campaign published. Usually you'll probably just get individual adventures published (possibly in a series format, but unlikely as a single publication).

I think most groups that use published adventures just weave them into their campaign, but I have no way of confirming this suspicion, especially since I don't use published adventures. xD 
Sign In to post comments