Session 6: DM Tips

2 posts / 0 new
Last post

Here are a few quick DM tips for anyone running tonight’s encounter.

Show

1. Don’t forget the monster’s Traits, especially the aura! It changes when the monster is bloodied.

2. Miss damage on melee basic attack, not on recharge power like you’d expect.

3. Don’t be a dick; tweak initiative to make sure PCs act between monster & the instinctive action.

Visit Dungeon's Master.com – The D&D Resource Blog For DMs and Players.
http://dungeonsmaster.com
Follow me on Twitter @ameron_dm

Here are a few quick DM tips for anyone running tonight’s encounter.

Show

1. Don’t forget the monster’s Traits, especially the aura! It changes when the monster is bloodied.

2. Miss damage on melee basic attack, not on recharge power like you’d expect.

3. Don’t be a dick; tweak initiative to make sure PCs act between monster & the instinctive action.

Ugh, wish I had seen this before the encounter. I underplayed the dragon pretty bad. Didn't use instinctive attack, didn't deal miss damage and overlooked the action points. I did the auras correctly though. Anyway, the other mistake I made was doing a flyby on the characters outside the room and he got stuck by a defender out there and couldn't get away, losing all the power of his mobility. He still did quite a bit of damage and sapped their resources pretty good. He ended up escaping out the font door, narrowly avoiding death. I learned alot about DMing dragons though, so should do better next time.