Need help making a 4e character, based around Sound.

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Im trying to come up with a character idea based around Sound. Which I think in 4e mechanics means Thunder keyword.

Is it possble to make a character that only uses Thunder Keyword attacks, as in uses sound as its weapon/element of choice?

What Race/Class would be best for this?

EDIT:
Forgot to add

In our game theres a cap of level 11, so Heroic Only at the moment. Theres also no Multiclassing. 
To me you could use Thunder or even Force as your 'element' for Sound based attacks. What I would do would make sure that you say it's making a big sound like a clap of thunder or a sonic boom. Class-wise, an elemental sorcerer (I know there's a build, but not which book) or a Wizard. Take a staff, rod, wand, or such that is thunder/force based and keep the element type always on. The race would be picked after you got your class stuff figured out. It might not be much help, but hopefully I have given you some insight there.
Bards, Clerics, Sorcerers and Swordmages all have a good amount of heroic thunder powers.

If you have a say in what enchantments you'll get on your weapon or implement there are some good options:
- Thunderfist Ki Focus: As a free action you can change your melee attack's damage into thunder damage.
- Screaming Bow: Untyped damage with this weapon against an enemy deals thunder damage and deafens the enemy until the end of your next turn.
- Thundergod Weapon (any melee): Your melee attacks deal +1d6 thunder damage when you charge.

And lastly if it's more about roleplay and not so much the mechanics you can do alot with reflavoring, for example any power that pushes or knocks an enemy prone does so because of the sheer force of your voice.
Bards, Clerics, Sorcerers and Swordmages all have a good amount of heroic thunder powers.

If you have a say in what enchantments you'll get on your weapon or implement there are some good options:
- Thunderfist Ki Focus: As a free action you can change your melee attack's damage into thunder damage.
- Screaming Bow: Untyped damage with this weapon against an enemy deals thunder damage and deafens the enemy until the end of your next turn.
- Thundergod Weapon (any melee): Your melee attacks deal +1d6 thunder damage when you charge.

And lastly if it's more about roleplay and not so much the mechanics you can do alot with reflavoring, for example any power that pushes or knocks an enemy prone does so because of the sheer force of your voice.

Thanks for the info, its for roleplay and mechanics wise.
I did find a guide, community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... but it dosnt work until mid paragon.

I think theres a way to force it as a element for elemental sorcerors depending on how you read their random element text. Can you choose during a rest what element you are now, without burning a second wind. My GM isnt friendly with homebrew either otherwise I would just say make up a trait like elemental focus or something.

Any further suggestions welcome but i dont think it can be done in Heroic and without multiclassing. 

I'd ask in the CharOp forum - I'm pretty sure there's a way to do what you want, but I don't know it off the top of my head.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Revenant Genasi Sorcerer with Power of Storm feat is ridiculously strong, mechanically, and can easily pick Thunder powers each level.

When you say "isn't friendly with homebrew" what exactly do you mean?  

Most of what has been and likely will be suggested here is using force and thunder with a good amount of roleplay to explain just what your character is doing.  It should have little to no effect on the actual mechanics of the powers.  
If your DM is having a problem with you roleplaying everything as powers attributed to sound then might I suggest you recommend Chris Perkins' The Dungeon Master Experience column. 
Dragonborn Tempest
Torrinn Letrah Erekgard, level 14 Dragonborn, Fighter (Weaponmaster), Fear Walker Build: Tempest Fighter Fighter Option: Combat Superiority Fighter Talents Option: Tempest Technique Dragonborn Racial Power Option: Dragonfear Wandering Duelist (Wandering Duelist Benefit) Theme: Mercenary FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 22, CON 14, DEX 20, INT 9, WIS 11, CHA 14 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 13, DEX 16, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 11 AC: 30 Fort: 32 Ref: 28 Will: 25 HP: 107 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 28 TRAINED SKILLS Athletics +19, Intimidate +23, Streetwise +16 UNTRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +11, Arcana +6, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance +8, Heal +7, History +8, Insight +9, Nature +7, Perception +7, Religion +6, Stealth +11, Thievery +11 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Mercenary Attack: Takedown Strike Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragonfear Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge Combat Agility Power: Combat Agility Fighter Attack 1: Dual Strike Fighter Attack 1: Cleave Fighter Utility 2: Glowering Threat Fighter Attack 3: Daunting Onslaught Fighter Attack 5: Dervish's Challenge Fighter Utility 6: Kirre's Roar Fighter Attack 7: Come and Get It Fighter Attack 9: One Against Many Fighter Utility 10: Fearsome Threat Fear Walker Attack 11: Wave of Terror Fear Walker Utility 12: Aura of Fear Fighter Attack 13: Menacing Surge FEATS Two-Weapon Defense Level 1: Two-Weapon Fighting Level 2: Net Training Level 4: World Serpent's Grasp Level 6: Improved Defenses Level 8: Dragging Flail Level 10: Vicious Advantage Level 11: Draconic Arrogance Level 12: Flail Expertise Level 14: Lashing Flail ITEMS Adventurer's Kit Alchemical Silver Circlet of Indomitability (heroic tier) x1 Predatory Flail +3 x1 Belt of Vim (heroic tier) x1 Courtier's Cape +3 x1 Elven Chain Shirt (heroic tier) War Ring x1 Dice of Auspicious Fortune Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier) x1 Forgemaster's Gloves (heroic tier) x1 Lullaby Net +3 x1 Kord's Mighty Strength (level 13) Laughing Death Earthhide Armor +3 x1 Planestrider Boots x1
Revenant Genasi Sorcerer with Power of Storm feat is ridiculously strong, mechanically, and can easily pick Thunder powers each level.

Im looking at that now, I think you can do similar with a Invoker as well. Doing further research.

When you say "isn't friendly with homebrew" what exactly do you mean?  

Most of what has been and likely will be suggested here is using force and thunder with a good amount of roleplay to explain just what your character is doing.  It should have little to no effect on the actual mechanics of the powers.  
If your DM is having a problem with you roleplaying everything as powers attributed to sound then might I suggest you recommend Chris Perkins' The Dungeon Master Experience column. 

In this case im using it to describe "Just made up stuff". My GM group is ok with flavoring powers but not just downright changing them or making up feats to explain it. It just makes things mechanicaly easier.

In that case, A Stormsoul genasi is probably the way to go. You can downplay the lightning and choose all force and thunder powers. Swordmage is a great class for this.  There's also a lot of feat support for it and many of the force and thunder powers play right into the idea of a powerful voice.
Dragonborn Tempest
Torrinn Letrah Erekgard, level 14 Dragonborn, Fighter (Weaponmaster), Fear Walker Build: Tempest Fighter Fighter Option: Combat Superiority Fighter Talents Option: Tempest Technique Dragonborn Racial Power Option: Dragonfear Wandering Duelist (Wandering Duelist Benefit) Theme: Mercenary FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 22, CON 14, DEX 20, INT 9, WIS 11, CHA 14 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 13, DEX 16, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 11 AC: 30 Fort: 32 Ref: 28 Will: 25 HP: 107 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 28 TRAINED SKILLS Athletics +19, Intimidate +23, Streetwise +16 UNTRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +11, Arcana +6, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance +8, Heal +7, History +8, Insight +9, Nature +7, Perception +7, Religion +6, Stealth +11, Thievery +11 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Mercenary Attack: Takedown Strike Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragonfear Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge Combat Agility Power: Combat Agility Fighter Attack 1: Dual Strike Fighter Attack 1: Cleave Fighter Utility 2: Glowering Threat Fighter Attack 3: Daunting Onslaught Fighter Attack 5: Dervish's Challenge Fighter Utility 6: Kirre's Roar Fighter Attack 7: Come and Get It Fighter Attack 9: One Against Many Fighter Utility 10: Fearsome Threat Fear Walker Attack 11: Wave of Terror Fear Walker Utility 12: Aura of Fear Fighter Attack 13: Menacing Surge FEATS Two-Weapon Defense Level 1: Two-Weapon Fighting Level 2: Net Training Level 4: World Serpent's Grasp Level 6: Improved Defenses Level 8: Dragging Flail Level 10: Vicious Advantage Level 11: Draconic Arrogance Level 12: Flail Expertise Level 14: Lashing Flail ITEMS Adventurer's Kit Alchemical Silver Circlet of Indomitability (heroic tier) x1 Predatory Flail +3 x1 Belt of Vim (heroic tier) x1 Courtier's Cape +3 x1 Elven Chain Shirt (heroic tier) War Ring x1 Dice of Auspicious Fortune Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier) x1 Forgemaster's Gloves (heroic tier) x1 Lullaby Net +3 x1 Kord's Mighty Strength (level 13) Laughing Death Earthhide Armor +3 x1 Planestrider Boots x1
Im trying to come up with a character idea based around Sound. Which I think in 4e mechanics means Thunder keyword.

Is it possble to make a character that only uses Thunder Keyword attacks, as in uses sound as its weapon/element of choice?

What Race/Class would be best for this?

EDIT:
Forgot to add

In our game theres a cap of level 11, so Heroic Only at the moment. Theres also no Multiclassing. 

I'd go with the Bard, but as others have pointed out, there are other options. There's a bard PP for thunder stuff, but I can't remember it's name right now, and my computer won't load silverlite (and thus the CB) ATM.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
Voice of Thunder, with the E11 endless attacks
That's the one. :D
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome