Joining the RPGA

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I searched all over and I just can't seem to figure out how to join the RPGA. I've been looking for a couple of days and I'm just getting flustered. Can someone help me out with this?
basically, around 2009-ish, the RPGA got rolled up into the DCI system.  You can sign up at any store that runs events (even Magic events) or at most events, and membership is free.  The Events page has a store finder if you need it, and also lists all the events that might involve needing a DCI number.

I think the last remnant of the old RPGA is the Living Forgotten Realms network, but even that seems vestigial at best these days =)

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

I think the last remnant of the old RPGA is the Living Forgotten Realms network, but even that seems vestigial at best these days =)

Not even in LFR anymore. RPGA or DCI membership is not required to download and play any LFR adventure.

There's also no tracking anymore. Even if you have a membership number and want to have it reported with your LFR play, there no longer is anything where you could report it

There's also no tracking anymore. Even if you have a membership number and want to have it reported with your LFR play, there no longer is anything where you could report it

Untrue.

webapp.wizards.com/sanction.aspx

You can get to this through the DCI system, of course.

This is still used to track venue participation.  It may not be critical for the players anymore, but it is for your FLGS hosting events.

For the OP, this link may help.

Is the point of the RPGA just for those wednesday gaming sessions then? If that's the case, then I guess I can't join, which really sucks. I live about a 2 hour drive to the nearest comic shop and when I asked if we could perform our own group at our local Rec Center they said no. Really stinks, too.

Hrm.. perhaps I could just go on a wednesday some time and sign up so I can get a number...? Not even sure what it does now, I just heard there were some really cool rewards for registered DMs and I would love to be in the loop on new things.

Oh well, I'll keep trying. 

Untrue.

webapp.wizards.com/sanction.aspx

You can get to this through the DCI system, of course.

This is still used to track venue participation.  It may not be critical for the players anymore, but it is for your FLGS hosting events.

Actually no. It no longer matters for LFR and RPGA. It might matter for Encounters, but that's an indepent programm.

the store I play at collects DCI numbers from Encounters and Lair Assault particpants.  
My understanding is it contributes to them maintaining/achieving/whatevering Premiere status in some way.  

Oh, and I think I needed my card to register for the DM/Magic Judge sanctioning test.

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

Hrm.. perhaps I could just go on a wednesday some time and sign up so I can get a number...? Not even sure what it does now, I just heard there were some really cool rewards for registered DMs and I would love to be in the loop on new things.

There's a good chance the game shop just has a stack of DCI cards to give out.  If not, there ought to be some present at any organized play event (LFR, Encounters, Magic, etc).

The DM rewards system, however, is long gone.  'Twas cool while it lasted.

And, yes, all organized play events should be tracked and reported.  Encounters, LFR, Lair Assault, Game Days... They all count for the venue.  Based on our reporting, WotC flew our local shop's owner out for a chat to get an idea of what she's doing right.